Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 11:45   #271
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Today's generation is more interested in the features offered in the cars. Engine refinements, gearbox/ transmission mechanisms, steering precision, mechanical aspects of a vehicle take backseat. General public understand digital gizmos and displays are better because these are from latest technology. The connection or correlation between display, technology and human engineering, human response are not generally understood by everyone unless they are professionally engaged into this or passionate about such aspects.

Here we need to understand Japanese mindset also. Japanese are more conservative and the current socioeconomic psychology in indian market do not give them a good margin. Japanese products and technologies are costlier than Korean or indian product, technology. Hence you won't find here radically different, new technologies in honda, suzuki anymore. Honda san, Suzuki san would never make the dash so clamsy like sonet. Driver need to understand and interpret various indications and readings very fast. Information overloads on car facia is not necessary. Majority of Indian drivers can't drive the cars/ vehicles properly (following all rules and norms) due to lack of knowledge, skills, lack of respect to others convenience, rules and regulations and breaking the rules. What they are going to do with sophisticated technology on facia and interpret the information?

The new age car companies correctly understood our psychology to feel pride and satisfaction that cars are loaded with features and have sunroof!! And good cars are vanishing from indian market. And capable Japanese companies are not selling good products/ not upgrading dated cars.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st September 2020 at 12:01. Reason: Spacing for better readability
RijuC is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:17   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

There is unfortunately the usual opaqueness about deliveries. I booked my HTK+ Diesel AT at 7 am in the morning on the day booking opened on-line. Yet my SA says the delivery will be in November 1st week! I was expecting to be one of the first to get delivery if I decided to go with the car. I was in two minds after realising the price was going to be just over 10 lakhs and therefore would get the unfair road tax burden in TN over 10 lakhs. Messaged the dealer anyway to know the estimated delivery date and the disappointing response is it will come 45 days later! We know deliveries have started around the country but there is apparently no transparency and Kia has left it to the dealer to play favourites! I expect Kia to be a lot more transparent and communicate directly with the customers on allotment priority and delivery dates.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 13:41   #273
BHPian

I had a chance to test drive Sonet early Saturday morning when the showroom was empty. The salesperson offered me test drive immediately for the diesel auto although I would have preferred diesel manual. Later I have also test driven 1.0 IMT. Here are my observations. Since my current ride is a 2015 S-Cross 1.3, the comparison is evident.

1. Super silent. Both the engine options. You can barely hear outside noise.
2. Horn is loud and VW like.
3. Seating position is fantastic. But not as good as S-Cross baring height.
4. Visibility is fantastic. Ergonomics are spot on.
5. Music system fantastic. Rear view camera and drvm are of good quality.
6. Build quality is surely in creta/seltos/venue level.
7. Engine is a gem(diesel). If the auto is this good, I guess how good would be manual even if it's 14 BHP less. This is where it trumps my s-cross.
8. The ride quality is stiff. Definitely not better than s-cross.
9. Handing is good and body roll is well controlled.
10. Space is not bad at all. Marginally less than s-cross and marginally better than venue. Read bench thigh support is less and 60:40 folding is missing. On the plus side it has rear ac vents, bigger boot space and a lot more. Oh and how can I forget sunroof. Kids just love it and I must admit it felt better to have it.
10. Lastly loaded with features. HTX diesel manual comes at the same price as my s-croos when bought in 2015. But this has lot more new age and quality features. So I don't think this is overpriced at all. It's surely a better car than s-cross baring space.

I would have considered GDI if it was 50-75k less than diesel. For me it doesn't make any sense to buy an IMT at the same price point as a proper diesel. So I went ahead and booked the 1.5 D HTX. Delivery might take beyond October what I was told. Colour opted was blue (preferred) or red.

So this is where I need some help from members. Although I am very happy with S-cross, there are certain drawbacks. The car is beyond 5 years and I may keep it for another 2 years if required. Shall I go for a new vehicle or keep it for 2 more years?

Oh and I too have test driven yaris cvt which adds to the confusion.
The cvt is just awesome. Effortless, frugal, smooth although not as feature rich as sonet. The j-opt cvt is fairly loaded apart from music system and steering mounted controls. This also will be more than 1.2 lakhs cheaper than sonet after discounts.

What to choose? Comfort and convenience of yaris(sales dud) or future ready Sonet or keep s-cross for another 2 years.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:12   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
What to choose? Comfort and convenience of yaris(sales dud) or future ready Sonet or keep s-cross for another 2 years.
Would be wise to take a decision based on how much more money do you need to invest after trading in the SCross? And what you get in return for that investment?

Personally, I'd hold on because the above answer wouldn't really find it worthwhile to invest. SCross and Brezza both have decent build quality and should last a lot longer with a little bit of care.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:15   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So this is where I need some help from members. Although I am very happy with S-cross, there are certain drawbacks. The car is beyond 5 years and I may keep it for another 2 years if required. Shall I go for a new vehicle or keep it for 2 more years?

Oh and I too have test driven yaris cvt which adds to the confusion.
The cvt is just awesome. Effortless, frugal, smooth although not as feature rich as sonet. The j-opt cvt is fairly loaded apart from music system and steering mounted controls. This also will be more than 1.2 lakhs cheaper than sonet after discounts.

Congrats on your booking ! The HTX is actually the most value for money variant in the Sonet lineup and both the 1.5 D Manual and 1.0 GDI IMT being at 9.99 lacs ex-showroom are good value. They have almost all the feel good features including sunroof.

When compared to Yaris, my two cents is that Sedans are slowly getting phased out as city infrastructure is crumbling and bad roads and waterlogging everywhere make it a big challenge for sedans to get through. However if you live in a place with good roads and smooth highways, the sedan's comfort is unmatched. The Yaris though is a bit underwhelming on the engine side and not exciting.

That said, 5 years is also too early to replace your s-cross and there will not be much gain in shifting from S-Cross to Sonet currently.
My honest suggestion would be to hold on to S-cross for another 2 years and then when the economy improves, go for a segment higher vehicle like the Seltos or the Jeep Compass!
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:26   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Concur with others. Even i would suggest holding on to the S-cross unless it's troublesome or you are no more able to deal with a MT in Bangalore traffic. In whch case it would be wiser to upgrade to the AT variants of Sonet/Venue.

S-Cross is a bigger car, mechanically robust and has a certain poise of ride and handling. All the whims of gadgetry in the Sonet will be fading away quicker than they have marketed esp. when you are in need of a bigger car.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:32   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your views. Though Sonet and S-cross belong to different segments, they are priced similarly and would compete with each other for people looking at options in this price point. Will surely help people looking at these two cars.

Coming to your query, not sure whether you have reviewed other options(apologies if you have already mentioned and I missed it). I believe you are targetting a specific price point and peace of mind as top priorities in your shopping list. Forget the difference in segment, even fuel options are also different. We have a swift diesel with ODO @ 1.3L and still feeling good. Car is now 10 years old. I would suggest you to keep your car for couple of more years. S-cross might lack few modern features, it has a strong build with decent safety features, decent equipment list and a engine which can run atleast a couple of lakhs of kms without major niggles.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:37   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
7. Engine is a gem(diesel). If the auto is this good, I guess how good would be manual even if it's 14 BHP less. This is where it trumps my s-cross.
From whatever i have researched, the 1.5 D manual is not half as fun to drive as the Diesel auto (which is in the same tune as Seltos).

Comparing purely performance, the Seltos Diesel Manual does far better then the Diesel manual in the Sonet.

If its Diesel, the AT is the one to go for, IMO, if Sonet is concerned.

Otherwise, increase your budget and go for mid variant Seltos D Manual.

Last edited by DCEite : 21st September 2020 at 14:39.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 15:13   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If its Diesel, the AT is the one to go for, IMO, if Sonet is concerned.

Otherwise, increase your budget and go for mid variant Seltos D Manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
S-Cross is a bigger car, mechanically robust and has a certain poise of ride and handling. All the whims of gadgetry in the Sonet will be fading away quicker than they have marketed esp. when you are in need of a bigger car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
That said, 5 years is also too early to replace your s-cross and there will not be much gain in shifting from S-Cross to Sonet currently.
My honest suggestion would be to hold on to S-cross for another 2 years and then when the economy improves, go for a segment higher vehicle like the Seltos or the Jeep Compass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Would be wise to take a decision based on how much more money do you need to invest after trading in the SCross? And what you get in return for that investment?

Personally, I'd hold on because the above answer wouldn't really find it worthwhile to invest. SCross and Brezza both have decent build quality and should last a lot longer with a little bit of care.
Thanks guys for your valuable responses.

One part of me wants me to keep the scross for some more time and another car enthusiast in me is difficult to please. Keeping the finances aside the question being "is it a better package than s-cross?" I don't associate upgrade with price and size. So creta and seltos are in the same league of scross.

Event though I can afford cars at much higher price point, I don't want to spend that much which keeps me in the price bracket of 10-15 big ones. I would rather buy 2 cars in 10 years than buying one costly ride. In that case I wouldn't loose too much in resale value as well as get to drive the new age machines.

If I keep scross for another 2 years, then I will loose 1.5 laks on resale and may be the new cars will cost more. The itch is there and it keep raising it's head in every 4-5 years.

Having said that I haven't finalized and may alter my decision later.
I don't wish to hijack this thread from it's intended cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Thank you for sharing your views. Though Sonet and S-cross belong to different segments, they are priced similarly and would compete with each other for people looking at options in this price point. Will surely help people looking at these two cars.

Coming to your query, not sure whether you have reviewed other options(apologies if you have already mentioned and I missed it). I believe you are targetting a specific price point and peace of mind as top priorities in your shopping list. Forget the difference in segment, even fuel options are also different. We have a swift diesel with ODO @ 1.3L and still feeling good. Car is now 10 years old. I would suggest you to keep your car for couple of more years. S-cross might lack few modern features, it has a strong build with decent safety features, decent equipment list and a engine which can run atleast a couple of lakhs of kms without major niggles.
You read my mind.

While I agree scross is a value for money package than the similar spec creta, it has it's fair share of drawbacks.

1. Engine feels under powered at times. Turbo lag and noise when revved hard.
2. Headlights are pathetic.
3. Maintenance is not really cheap.
4. Ease of b2b bangalore traffic. That's where the yaris comes.

I know there is no perfect car. But I just love the Sonet design and the feature list.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st September 2020 at 16:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
sou_3749 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 15:56   #280
BHPian

Quote:
You read my mind.

While I agree scross is a value for money package than the similar spec creta, it has it's fair share of drawbacks.

1. Engine feels under powered at times. Turbo lag and noise when revved hard.
2. Headlights are pathetic.
3. Maintenance is not really cheap.
4. Ease of b2b bangalore traffic. That's where the yaris comes.

I know there is no perfect car. But I just love the Sonet design and the feature list.
You have already fallen for Sonet. I believe most of us here would suggest to keep your S-cross for some more time for obvious reasons - positives of this product and financial reasons. But you know your finances well. Think about all odds before finalizing your decision.

Not everyone will get opportunities to deal with multiple cars like our Mods.

I also think other factors you mentioned are to convince others, but the main reason is you need a Sonet
Old 21st September 2020, 18:42   #281

I am in search for a replacement of 12 years old wagonR, which has run 110k kms and still very much emotionally attached. I am looking at sub 4-meter CSUV, considering the parking space and driving it on Bangalore roads. My requirement is top-end petrol automatic with best of safety features and I would like to keep it for next 7-8 years.

I was a big fan of Ford Ecosport, it was a perfect CSUV, best in design however automatic is not available in the top “S” trim. Then waited for the Hyundai Venue, which is all good with neutral design and has smooth DCT in SX+ variant, however not in the top trim and missing out on 6 air bags and rear wiper, which are very much essential in my view. Though it is now available in new sport avatar with paddle shifters, with Creta steering wheel, still the second-best trim, missing out on few safety features.

Now we have Kia Sonet with best in safety and features available in top-end trim GTX+ with all bells & whistles with Bose sound, big screen, futuristic instrument panel, ventilated seats, front sensors and T-GDI DCT, which has all the ingredients I was looking for. Though I am interested only in petrol, I am looking at the praise and enthusiasm of fellow members for Diesel automatic, whose price should be almost at par with petrol DCT.

My price range was up to 13.5 to 14 lakhs, now that top-end Sonet should cost beyond 15 lakhs, my question to the members, should I go for GTX+ petrol DCT or GTX+ diesel auto or should settle down with Venue SX+ DCT, considering my driving range is 10k kms per year. Is top-end D Auto is better than DCT ?, since my driving would be mostly in city and occasional highway run (say 70:30 proportionate).

Your valuable suggestions are highly appreciated.
naveenjatti1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 18:59   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
You have already fallen for Sonet.

I also think other factors you mentioned are to convince others, but the main reason is you need a Sonet
And he is not alone. Sonet has managed to hit a sweet spot among customers in urban market. Sonet looks smashing, has feature list above par for the current market and the engine /gearbox combination throws a gamut of options.
While how it fares in long term will be gauged with time, the product is aspirational and within the range for upper middle class.
As for S Cross in today's market, unless someone needs a bigger cabin or affinity towards Maruti brand, there is very little where Sonet doesn't trump it. And this statement is coming from someone whose garage is all Maruti.

I also observed that the ladies are going gaga over Sonet and it shows in the numbers of bookings. My SIL has booked DCT GTX+as her first car as well.

I test drove DCT model for a good 30 minutes and the car ticks most of the boxes. The engine is no slouch for performance, noise or refinement. Seating and comfort is great at front, there are 6 airbags along with other safety features. The sunroof, Bose speakers, ventilated seats, 365 degree camera and that big screen elevates the whole experience. With all due respect, the experience is several notches above a Maruti product.

Last edited by headbanger : 21st September 2020 at 19:06.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:12   #283

A big hello to all BHPians! Thanks to the moderators for helping me become a part of this coveted forum!

The last 2 weeks have been hectic! a few mad dashes hiding from the 'home minister' to the solitary Kia showroom in the town, conveniently flanked by a Hyundai one. probably to ensure that i can have a look at the Sonet and the Venue with minimum time difference between the both! Lo n behold, god sent i must say, though the guess the newer cousin has stolen half the show with all the bells n whistles! though in my limited understanding, Hyundai investing a a aftermarket kit for the Venue's rear would nearly pull out many a Sonet customer.
No test drive still, and the Showroom guys are busy mugging up the variants of the Sonet
would need an honest brutal opinion please! does this launch just throw away Ecosport from the competition? Is the battle royale only between XUV300, Venue,Brezza, Nexon and the Sonet? any inputs from Seltos owners regarding Kia's after sales? spare costs?

hopefully Sonet eats more into the Big Bro Hyundai's coffers so that the discount at the year end is passed to lesser mortals fence sitting on a Creta or a Verna AT :-)
wizkid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 01:53   #284
BHPian

Finally decided to giveaway my decade old diesel DZire for good and switch to one of the Korean/Japanese hotshots in the arena. As a result, I happened to visit a car Showroom after 15-20 odd years [ I might've visited a Mercedes showroom in the interim just out of sheer curiosity for the stationary GLS inside . No showrooms visits for the Dzire as I got it delivered to my place from another city due to the close connection with the dealership and shorter waiting period at the time.]. Despite the usual rush due to the frenzy [ Seemed like people have accepted masks as the ultimate vaccine while throwing social Distancing out into the Garbage ], the Sales Representative was pretty enthusiastic and guided us with humility. Turns out even the dealership folks were shocked with the unavailablity of the prices for top-end Sonet trims, given most of their bookings consisted of GTX+ Auto. According to the dealership, they could not register GTX+ from RTO and hence the TDs have not started yet. Not sure if his argument holds good in the real world. Most of the people have given their opinion on Sonet, so I'd save my two cents for some other time, but I felt the car indeed looked better in person than in the photos.

Since my budget was already stretched to around 15 Lakhs, my wannabe spendthrift mind proposed a wild idea that some extra grands for the bigger cousin Creta SX Petrol Manual Variant wouldn't hurt. So, I tried to reach out to Hyundai Dealerships as well. But my experience with them has been nothing but abysmal. None of the dealerships in my vicinity have a Petrol variant available for a test drive. Seems like people are banking on the brand image and word of mouth that Creta carries with it. To add to the fire, dealerships informed me that there is at least a one month waiting for the best selling model. Add a couple more for other models. But I did visit the showroom to have a look at the display vehicle and personally felt the interiors of Creta triumphs the Sonet by a considerable margin [ Of course it should given the segment ]. After some research, I found the following feature differences between the Sonet GTX+ DCT and Creta SX variant for confused folks like me :

What Sonet GTX+ offers over Creta SX Petrol Manual:

1. Turbocharged DCT [ Duh ]
2. 4 additional Airbags [ Side + Curtain ] - The best [minus XUV300] you can get
3. Front Parking Sensors - Helps to a very good extent in the city
4. Ventilated Seats - Boon for the summers in the desert state
5. Air Purifier - Might be helpful. Not complaining even if I don't have it.
6. Electro Chromic Mirror (ECM) - A good addition indeed. Cuts down on the after office frustration decibels against those stupid high beam drivers in the city.
7. Highline Tyre Pressure Monitor - Definitely a boon from the safety perspective.
8. Bose Audio System with Subwoofer - Its a BOSE ! Say no further [ If its a gimmick, I'm in for a shock ]
9. Multi-drive Modes & Traction Control - Not sure if I'd care about it while I take care of other things amidst the chaos on the Indian roads.

What Creta SX Manual offers over Sonet :

1. Rear Disc Breaks - No second thoughts about it. A practical addition for sure.
2. An extra inch of those alloys - Better Braking, Grip [ add a bit more of those adjectives ]
3. An extra cylinder in the engine - The more the merrier
4. Extra Rearseat Space with that subtle touch of Cushions for headrest - When your near and dear ones shamelessly arrive at your doorsteps [ Living in the Pink City has its own woes ], sandwiching people gets easier
5. The Biggg Panaromic Sunroof - Sweet Addition
6. Cooled Glove Box - Another Sweet Addition
7. 60:40 Split Rear Seat - Standard these days but not for Sonet
8. Rear Window Sunshade - Ah definitely a saviour for those days when you hate the existence of the biggest goblet of fire.

Spoilt for choice between the two. While my mind was inkling towards the evergreen i-VTEC Honda City [5th Gen] but my dear mother vetoed it. On one hand I have second thoughts on spending over 15-15.5 lakhs for a CSUV on the other hand I'm missing out on the bells and whistles on the modern SUV for the same price point. Would be really grateful if fellow BHPians can aid me to get out of this strange conundrum.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd September 2020 at 03:21. Reason: More than 2 smileys.
pandatrooper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:39   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandatrooper View Post
You forgot to list out the one big difference which might swing your vote given the convenience. One is an automatic transmission and the other one is a manual. Makes a huge difference given than you are in the driver’s seat (I assume you will be driving it?).
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks