Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 19:52   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunjamSingh View Post
Now the reason we are confused right now is because we don’t know how to own and maintain diesels. Does the bs6 diesel cars require special maintenance and will the cost of maintenance be more than turbo petrol?. Will diesel Auto hold up for 10 years? I would like some of the experienced members to give me feedback on this.
The Diesel does not require any special care or any extra maintenance. The only thing is, if your running is very low, once in a few months, the car may suggest you to go for a long drive or leave the car running in DPF regeneration mode for say 15-20 minutes. This is to burn off soot collected in the Diesel Particulate Filter.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:06   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunjamSingh View Post
The prices of sonet gtx+ autos are out at 12.9. Just like some other bhpians on this thread I’m also confused on which one to pick. Initially we Pre-booked gtx+ dct before the prices were out. Having driven both the petrol imt and diesel auto, I can say the diesel auto feels like a pocket rocket. My family has never really owned a diesel car because monthly running is almost 10k kms....
I have a brezza which is 5 years old and had run close to 80k. Can safely tell that there's no additional issues or maintenance I had to look at! Infact, it's been almost easier than the 12 year petrol swift which we have in our garage. The clutch seems to be getting hard now and had replaced my tires last week!

I'm in the market for another car and seltos/sonet is on my radar. Might actually pick the sonet turbo petrol. Having 2csuv makes absolutely no sense. But I guess, it's what it's going to be!
Still not certain about the iMT.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:32   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
if your running is very low, once in a few months, the car may suggest you to go for a long drive or leave the car running in DPF regeneration mode for say 15-20 minutes
Just to add, taking it for a highway drive is the only option as Sonet doesn't have an onboard mechanism we can manually call upon to carry out active DPF regeneration.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th September 2020 at 20:39.
Old 24th September 2020, 22:52   #319
Senior - BHPian

Buy the diesel AT, no brainer. Even if you live in Delhi or the NCR, highly unlikely that you’re going to get more than 10 years of reliable service from a DCT.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 00:23   #320
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai and Kia have been doing this with Seltos, Creta and now Sonet. They are trying to push the diesel to customers.

In the Seltos, the 1.4L 4 cylinder turbo petrol with 7DCT is same price as the 1.5L D 6AT.

So how can the Sonet 1.0L DCT be same price as the 1.5L D 6AT which is identical powertrain to Seltos. You lose 1 cylinder and 400cc but they still charge the same premium?

The Diesel 6AT is a no brainer vs the DCT thanks to the intentional pricing.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 01:58   #321
BHPian

Has anyone driven the Diesel Manual? How inferior is it compared to the auto sunce it has lower power?
Old 25th September 2020, 07:36   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
Has anyone driven the Diesel Manual? How inferior is it compared to the auto sunce it has lower power?

Yes and a couple of observations.

1. The turbo lag is very less or we can say the turbo boost is linear as compared to AT. I didn't find any major difference in acceleration in city. We have to see if the difference is more in highway speeds.

2. Super silent unless you revv it beyond 3000 rpm.

3. Now the annoying part is the clutch travel is very long although the clutch is super light. I have number 10 feet and I had trouble pushing the clutch pedal all the way down. May be I didn't adjust my seat correctly to make it comfortable. Is it the same for seltos/creta/ venue diesel manuals?

4. The drive is effortless, the noise dampening makes it a better package than petrol at the same price point.

It becomes the obvious choice if that long clutch travel is not an issue.
sou_3749 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 07:36   #323
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A rare occasion when the identical (top) trim variant of a car sporting the same set of features has identical prices for both fuel variants - the answer might lie in the more expensive nature of the petrol gearbox.
Not just the gearbox, but even the engine. Before, the price difference between a naturally-aspirated petrol & a turbo-diesel was usually Rs 100,000.

However, with petrol engines getting turbo-charging & direct-injection, there really isn't (and shouldn't be) any difference in cost. See the same with the Seltos / Creta 1.4L turbo-petrol vs 1.5L turbo-diesel engines.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:07   #324
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have the updated price list for Bangalore after the GTX AT version prices were declared yesterday? Would be interesting to see just how much I would need to pay to get hold of the top end AT models.

After all, once Bangalore prices are available, buyers in other cities might just feel good about paying lower prices in their respective cities
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 09:15   #325
Team-BHP Support

Believe its not the engines, but the gearbox that creates this conundrum, especially the 7DCT. Hyundai is not pushing the diesel or the diesel AT (which has a premium as per market expectations), it is however demanding quite a luxury on the 7DCT.

Taking the case of the HTK+, because this variants provides the perfect comparison example -

1.2 NA petrol MT - HTK+ - 8.45 lakhs
1.0 TGDi petrol iMT - HTK+ - Rs. 9.49 lakhs
1.0 TGDi petrol 7DCT - HTK+ - Rs. 10.49 lakhs
1.5 CRDi diesel MT - HTK+ - Rs. 9.49 lakhs
1.5 CRDi diesel AT - HTK+ - Rs. 10.39 lakhs

1.2 CRDi diesel AT - diesel MT = 90k.
1.5 CRDi diesel MT - 1.2 NA petrol MT = 1.04 lakhs.
1.0 TGDi petrol iMT - 1.2 NA petrol MT = 1.04 lakhs.
1.0 TGDi 7DCT - 1.0 TGDi petrol iMT = 1 lakhs.
1.5 CRDi diesel AT - 1.5 CRDi diesel MT = 90k

From the Venue, we know the difference between the manual and iMT gearbox options is 16k. Therefore, assuming the below prices too -

1.0 TGDi petrol MT - 1.2 NA petrol MT = 88k.
1.0 TGDi 7DCT - 1.0 TGDi petrol MT = 1.16 lakhs.
1.5 CRDi diesel MT - 1.0 TGDi petrol MT = 16k.
1.0 TGDi petrol 7DCT - 1.2 NA petrol MT = 2.04 lakhs.
  • The difference between the NA petrol and CRDi diesel remains quite high at 1.04 lakhs. Like GTO mentioned above, this was the usual premium earlier as well. Hyundai isn't pushing diesel over petrol.
  • TGDi is 88k more expensive than the 1.2 NA petrol. Again, a turbo charged direct injection motor will command a premium over the NA petrol,
  • But do note that the diesel is still 16k more expensive than the TGDi petrol.
  • 6 speed TC on the diesel is 90k more expensive than the MT.
  • 7DCT variant adds another 1.16L over the 1.0 TGDi manual option, discounting for the price of IMT as seen in Venue.
  • With the 1.0 TGDi and 7 DCT - the premium over 1.2 NA manual is a whopping 2.04 lakhs.

Now, I'm willing to pay 88k premium for the fantastic TGDi petrol motor, I'm willing to pay a 1.04L premium for the refined diesel motor. I can even pay 90k premium for a reliable diesel 6-speed torque converter. But - Will I pay a 1.16L premium for a potentially unreliable (dry clutch phobia) 7 DCT option? NO!

Kia isn't doing any favours for diesel-heads or pushing the diesel AT option - but they've really got to rethink the dry clutch 7DCT strategy after VW gave it a bad name and ran away from it (for reliability, not performance).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th September 2020 at 09:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:36   #326
BHPian

Kia Sonet On-road Price list Chennai 25-Sep-2020

Kia Sonet On-road Price list of all variants including

G1.0T 7DCT GTX Plus Metallic - 1,575,392
G1.0T 7DCT GTX Plus Dual Tone - 1,587,230

D1.5 6AT GTX Plus Metallic - 1,582,396
D1.5 6AT GTX Plus Dual Tone - 1,594,247

Chennai
25-Sep-2020

[ATTACH=Kia Sonet On-road Price list Chennai 25-Sep-2020.pdf]2058958[/ATTACH]

Kia Sonet : Official Review-kia-sonet-onroad-price-list-chennai-25sep2020.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kia Sonet On-road Price list Chennai 25-Sep-2020.pdf (211.2 KB, 265 views)
Murugan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:45   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
... it is however demanding quite a luxury on the 7DCT.
I guess Kia is very reluctant to sell DCT but forced to keep it in the line up to complete the range. They would not like to flood the market with DCT to prevent subsequent negative publicity related to reliability issues.

Then why the DCT? There is no simple answer. As with all other DCTs from other brands, it caters to different target markets. A typical US buyer is happy if DCT serves him during lease/warranty period. Manufacturers are happy to replace failed DCTs within warranty even though their failure rate is more than TCs given the other benefits of DCT over TC. Indian market is very different as VW found out in the case of Polo. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in Kia's case.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:39   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting pricing strategy. For the Sonet, 1 l turbo + 7 DCT sells for the same as a 1.5 l diesel + 6 AT.

For the Seltos, you get the 1.4 l turbo + 7 DCT for the same price as the diesel. And if I am not mistaken, the diesel in the Sonet AT is the same as the one in the Seltos AT.

Why would you do that? Makes the deal on the 1.4 l in the Seltos seem very good on a relative basis.

Last edited by Hayek : 25th September 2020 at 11:42.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:54   #329
BHPian

Kia and Hyundai have no other option but to push their diesels because they know the timelines of, I believe, Cafe norms 2023, post which selling Diesels might become excessive pain for any manufacturer as per few sources online - (Do not have exact specifics of sources now so please feel free to ignore this information if you find it not important).

So they have to break even their investments before 2023 and keep milking from diesel customers in long run by spares and services.

Off topic: I am curious what is replacement cost of DPF filters that get damaged and what is the frequency of replacement ?
Old 25th September 2020, 11:56   #330
Senior - BHPian

With almost 16L on road, Sonet top end might be the first Kia to have huge discounts during the festive season.
giri1.8 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed