Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 00:22   #391
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Hi All,

My friend booked an iMT GTX plus Sonet many days before launch by paying 25K at Epitome Kia, Bangalore. Price of the car when he selected this particular dealer in Kia website was 14,44,832/-. After paying the advance, balance payment amount in Kia website is showing as Rs.14,19,832/-

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet_booking.jpg

Now, after prices got revealed, the price for the same monotone Sonet in Eptiome Kia price list is showing Rs.15,15,292, more than 70K than what he thought as the remaining balance while booking.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20200928-6.44.27-pm.jpeg

He tried to check multiple times with Epitome Sales as well as Kia customer care but no one could help him out of this confusion. Epitome Sales assured him they will get back and never responded even if my friend told he might cancel his order. Kia customer care told him to check with Epitome.

Anyone in this forum in such a situation ? Even adding the insurance amount of Rs.38145/- with previous booking amount of Rs. 14,44,832/- does not add up to current on road price.
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 09:08   #392

Hi, most of the posts were about DCT and diesel. Wanted to know opinion on iMT, Petrol, GTX+ varient. With dual tone fully loaded it is priced at 14.75 in Hyd. I didn't found it to be a good value for money but only this version has all safety features especially ECS. Wanted to know if this is the best buy in petrol varient?
Old 29th September 2020, 10:44   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravichopra View Post
With dual tone fully loaded it is priced at 14.75 in Hyd. I didn't found it to be a good value for money but only this version has all safety features especially ECS.
I guess we should ask ourselves whether 12.9 lakhs(not 14.75) is worth for a car with 6 airbags, ESC, HAC, drive modes, Brake Assist, VSM, cooled seats, wireless charger, air purifier, a proper AT and a transmission in the form of IMT that's likely to be popular in the coming years and a whole host of other features . I feel it's full bang for your bucks.

The 1.75 lakhs we pay besides the ex show room isn't in the hands of manufacturers anyways. We should instead ask ourselves are we getting good enough and safe roads for the exorbitant road taxes we pay. Not to forget the host of other taxes. One would be shocked to know the % that goes in as taxes out of the 14.75 you mentioned.

Let's look around for the other options and what they offer and then judge the 12.99. Yes, I agree GTX+ may not the most VFM offering in the entire range.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 29th September 2020 at 10:51.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:52   #394
REN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Now, after prices got revealed, the price for the same monotone Sonet in Eptiome Kia price list is showing Rs.15,15,292, more than 70K than what he thought as the remaining balance while booking.
Rs.15,15,292 is the 'Total Price' which includes the Extended Warranty and Accesories Kit — both of which aren't mandatory at the time of buying. I opted not to buy the accessories kit when we picked up our Seltos last year as I didn't like any of it and just bought the floor mats alone which cost around ₹1,700. Extended Warranty can be availed anytime during the first three years of ownership, but the price goes up depending on the vehicle's age. You can learn more about it here.

You should essentially be comparing the 'On-Road Price' provided by the dealer and the final deal amount that shows up on the Kia website. When you do that, the difference between the OTR price and the website price comes down to 30k. Now I've no idea if the website price is inclusive of the insurance amount, but I cross-checked Epitome's price list with my hometown dealer's price list and they're almost identical except for the obvious differences in Road Tax amounts. So I suspect the price on the Kia website is exclusive of something - probably the insurance? I'm not sure. Try reaching out to Epitome Kia's manager for clarification if the salesmen seem unwilling to help.
Old 29th September 2020, 17:05   #395
BHPian

UPDATE ON THE CANCELLATION :
So it's not that simple after all to deal with the dealers! After trying to follow up with my SA he's not able to proceed with the cancellation. He's redirected my query to the other department and they have happily dodged my calls. Looks like they will drag this for really long. So, now the question, do any of the members have a contact at JSP kia Bangalore?
Old 29th September 2020, 18:41   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

If you belong to the category of buyers:
  • Who have other vehicles in the garage for ferrying larger numbers of people
  • Are single or have small family and/or kids who have left for college
  • Do not have long distances to cover on the daily commute and use the car more for the fun of driving

And you are eyeing the Sonet top trims, I think you should certainly consider the Thar as well!

I am waiting for the price announcement of the Thar. The way the Sonet is priced, I expect a significant overlap - the AX Optional Hard top variant and the LX Soft top Manual of the Thar may be priced very close to the GTX+ variant of the Sonet.

For 2 lakhs more, one may be able to reach for the LX Auto Hard Top (Diesel or Petrol) of the Thar. This is 2 lakhs well spent in my view to get that awesome 4X4 capability and a much more power and torquey engine if one is going for the Diesel. Petrol buyers may have even more value - the Thar gets an engine that is twice as large, has almost twice as much Torque in addition to the true 4X4 capabilities.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th September 2020 at 18:43.
Old 29th September 2020, 20:33   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
If you belong to the category of buyers:
  • Who have other vehicles in the garage for ferrying larger numbers of people
  • Are single or have small family and/or kids who have left for college
  • Do not have long distances to cover on the daily commute and use the car more for the fun of driving

And you are eyeing the Sonet top trims, I think you should certainly consider the Thar as well!
Err! I dont think that is a good idea. Three things that come to my mind:

1. A Sonet buyer may not need the 4X4 capabilities and may never use it.

2. A Sonet buyer would not like the ride quality of a Thar.

3. In the Petrol Thar the fuel consumption will be quite high. A Sonet owner may not like it. The bigger engine could be more powerful but will be a guzzler for sure. Same goes for the diesel.

The point is Sonet is a different car compared to the Thar. It is loaded with features; the Thar is not. I think this is the exact mistake GTO and others have been discussing in the Thar thread. Know exactly what you are getting into. While there could be some overlap in customer base but I feel the customer expectations from each of these vehicle are quite different.

Last edited by Pancham : 29th September 2020 at 20:37.
Pancham is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 10:47   #398
BHPian

With all the hoopla around the Sonet launch, I went and checked out the Sonet. After seeing the Sonet parked right next to a Seltos, the first thing that struck me was that it isn't drastically smaller than the Seltos. This was confirmed when i checked both their dimensions from the official brochures.

Second thing which caught my attention were the brakes, I am very particular about brakes and one thing which had impressed me with the Seltos was the inclusion of the rear discs even for the Diesel.

Given the fact that the Sonet isn't significantly smaller in proportions and also gets the exactly same power plant from the Seltos, not getting rear Discs even for the top most GT Line is an absolute bummer.

I also noticed that the Kerb weights data are not available for both models.

Skimping the rear wiper on the HTK Plus models was something i could not digest as well at that price point. It has a rear parking camera but no wiper! How dumb is that. Considering Indian rains and driving conditions, anyone having driven through a heavy downpour in a hatch back will appreciate and understand the importance of a rear wiper.

While Kia struck the right chords with the Seltos, in my personal opinion, i think the Sonet has a lot of gaps which one could come across under closer scrutiny.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-kia_dimensions.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet_dimensions.jpg  

adneo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 20:26   #399
BHPian

Like some fellow Bhpians have mentioned on this thread before, found it very difficult to compare the variants from Sonet's brochure. I hope that at least in future Kia designs their brochure like most other brands with simple tabular columns. I was trying to do a comparison between some variants of the Sonet, which resulted in me going back and forth between the website and brochure. Finally decided to compile together a simple sheet to do the comparison. Sharing it for reference.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-1.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-2.jpg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-3.jpg
stormdRider is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 21:24   #400

Has anyone seen either in person, pics or videos of the white Dual tone variant?

I am curious since the white dual tone is the color I have booked for the GTX+ variant and I haven't yet seen how it looks like in real life.
Old 30th September 2020, 21:30   #401
REN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdRider View Post
Like some fellow Bhpians have mentioned on this thread before, found it very difficult to compare the variants from Sonet's brochure. I hope that at least in future Kia designs their brochure like most other brands with simple tabular columns.
Really appreciate the effort you've put into compiling this. KIA do have a 'Compare Trims' page on their website for the Sonet.

Last edited by REN : 30th September 2020 at 21:43.
Old 1st October 2020, 15:39   #402
BHPian

Hi All,

Booked Kia Sonet HTX+ 1.0 GDI iMT Glacier White on 7th Sept online. Luckily got the delivery on 25th Sept itself. Was not expecting it before 15th Oct.

This car belongs to my wife, but somehow knew that I am also going to use it.

Buying criteria was simple:
1. Should be a good looking car. (I own(ed) Maruti Zen, Fiat Punto & Tata Storme. All good looking cars!)
2. Turbo Petrol for city use and fun to drive.
3. Preferably Auto. Wife always complained foot pain by using too much clutch of Punto in Traffic. So iMT test drive of Venue made the mind.
4. Ventilated Seats (Experienced it in Canada when I travelled there last year).
5. Sunroof (Kids demand).
6. Apple Carplay/Android Auto (Though I miss Wireless Carplay in HTX+ (10.25"), it is available in HTK+ and HTX with 8.0 inch head unit.)
7. Diamond cut alloys
8. Black and Beige interior (All black in GTX+ was not of my liking, so given it a miss)

The car is definitely a looker. Will post some pics soon.
Navsangeet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 16:31   #403
Senior - BHPian

Kia has received over 35,000 bookings for the Sonet so far and sold 9,266 units of the Sonet in just 12 days since its launch.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/car-...-sales-2303826
Old 1st October 2020, 16:32   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navsangeet View Post
Hi All,

Booked Kia Sonet HTX+ 1.0 GDI iMT Glacier White on 7th Sept online. Luckily got the delivery on 25th Sept itself. Was not expecting it before 15th Oct.

This car belongs to my wife, but somehow knew that I am also going to use it.... some pics soon.
Congratulations! I must say it's an interesting choice. Given the little amount of price difference between HTX+ AND GTX+ I hate KIA that they have chosen to cut down on safety features. They should've ideally matched the specs and just the colors and badging should have stayed different.
Old 1st October 2020, 16:58   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navsangeet View Post
Hi All,

This car belongs to my wife, but somehow knew that I am also going to use it.
Congrats. Curious why you chose HTX+ over GTX+ as the popular opinion is that folks end up jumping from HTX+ to GTX+ as there is not much of a big difference in these models.

Please share some pics too!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks