Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2020, 19:41   #421
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet becomes highest selling compact SUV in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The key to guaranteed success.
Kia is killing every segment it sets foot on.

With the Gloster coming in, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring their 'A' game to the premium D2 segment. Far shot but Telluride?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 19:49   #422
Senior - BHPian

Exactly what I had predicted when I saw the design and power train options at the last auto expo. That it's going to get off to a screaming start which is exactly what has happened. The only concern that Kia might have is that the top end versions are pretty expensive and therefore sustained sales at these initial levels might be a question mark. Or perhaps not? Who knows, one has to wait and watch.

Looking forward to my test drive of the Sonet Diesel automatic, really want to see how good a product it is and if it really lives up to all the hype.
Old 1st October 2020, 19:51   #423
BHPian

Money apart, i am surprised how easily people flock to or buy a car. And here i am, trying to replace a Linea T-jet, reading up, TD’ing. Wow !
nandadevieast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 20:12   #424
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't come as a surprise honestly. They marketed the car very well, plus the car itself is excellent, inside-out. Add to that the transmission and engine options.

Its interesting how Maruti let the game of compact SUV slip out of their hand. The Vitara Brezza was once a top seller and I don't see what they have in their arsenal to fight Kia/Hyundai's onslaught.
Old 1st October 2020, 20:19   #425
BHPian

I mentioned on the other thread for Sonet that just the product alone hits a sweet spot. It is aspirational for upper middle class and fairer sex has taken a liking to it as well.
I have seen myself folks thronging to showrooms for booking sonet for their wives and in some cases mom's as well. And a considerable number of these bookings are for GTX+.
Coupled with ever increasing Kia's presence along with the brand value that Kia garnered with Seltos, folks have transitioned from Maruti to Kia. My family is one such example.
Even if this is initial hype, Sonet will challenge the likes of Brezza and Urban Cruiser in the longer run. Maruti and Toyota have got a competitor which will force them to change.
Old 1st October 2020, 20:23   #426
BHPian

Very impressive performance from a manufacturer that is still short of 2 years in the Indian market. They did their homework, gave features which the market loves, boasted of their qualities and strong points and most importantly priced it on point.

Hyundai-Kia have been leading the market as segment leaders providing every type of mills and providing the best in class gearboxes and new technologies. They are not sitting like fools as with Maruti, which just boasts of their Alto's and Swift's and nothing else not to forget a 4 speed TC for the hatchback sold as an SUV Scross.

Though these numbers are still dispatches and not the retail sales, Kia has posed a great danger for Tata as the number 3 competitor in the Indian market. Tata needs to gearup with better finish and niggle free experiences to secure their position otherwise I don't see any reason that Kia can't gain the no.3 spot.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 20:27   #427
Senior - BHPian

That is a healthy start given that the car was launched on 18.Sep. It is interesting to see which other SUVs lost share to the Sonet.

The Maruti Brezza has clocked a healthy 9153 units so Brezza has NOT lost much to Sonet!
I am not able to gather the figures of the Venue as yet - so I am wondering how much share the Venue and Nexon lost? We should know the details soon in the coming days.

Dog-eat-dog scenario among SUVs for September market share : Link

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 1st October 2020 at 20:30.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 20:32   #428
Senior - BHPian

Aspirations are overriding practical considerations. People have started to 'live today', rather than save up for the next gen. 'Kal dekha jayega'. So what if one has to log a few miles to get to service, even that drive is an event to celebrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
One point though, in the past also, fellow nationals from outside of the metros and tier 2 cities did not mind shopping outside of Maruti. I have seen them taking the plunge to new brands easily. A big blocker to this was - only Maruti had a sales & service network reaching outside of the big cities. It was practicality of routine service visits at a nearby location that ensured people stayed with Maruti. Didn't make sense to drive hundreds of kilometers and back, just to get a car serviced.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 21:24   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
While this number only signifies the initial dispatches - I also don't doubt that the Sonet will eventually be on top of the segment. Kia has done their homework and how! Was very much impressed with the package I could see in the showroom.

Would really like to see the Venue+Sonet duo giving a tough run for the Brezza+Urban Cruiser. Maruti has taken the market for granted, far too long. Nexon and XUV 3OO are worthy products no doubt - but I doubt they can match up to the appeal of the Sonet.

Sonet should also see a good amount of sales in diesel. Not only does it have a fantastic 6 speed TC + diesel combination, but it is also value priced with the same pricetag as the TGDi petrol 7DCT.
Although i agree that the Sonet has captured the imagination of buyers just like the Seltos, i dont think it is the best car in the segment for the following reasons:

I test drove Sonet GTX+ diesel AT in this week and also test drove XUV300 in last month, also i own Nexon diesel AMT. So, my feedback is as follows:
Note: I am comparing top spec versions of each vehicle here.

1. Ride quality: It is STIFF, pot holes and broken roads can be felt sharply. Nexon and XUV300 are hugely better than this. I will never recommend this car to any senior citizens or someone with back pain.

2. Cabin Space: Rear seat legroom is much better in Nexon and XUV300.

3. Safety: Sonet doesnt have crash test rating yet (neither does the Seltos). XUV300 is best in class here followed by Nexon and Ecosport when it comes to active and passive safety.

4. The only parameters where Sonet outscores Nexon and XUV300 are some extra features (some are very desirable like ventilated seats and Bose sound system) connected car tech and torque converter gearbox.

5. Looks: Although this is a subjective matter, I think Nexon, Ecosport, XUV300, Vitara Brezza/Urban cruiser all look better than the Sonet.

So IMO, Sonet (and Seltos also) becomes desirable only if top spec GTX+ variant is considered which has this advantage in terms of all the desirable features and has Six airbags but it costs significantly more also. Otherwise for lower variants, i will anyday recommend XUV300, Nexon and Ecosport over the Sonet.

Suggestion for Tata and Mahindra:
Just include Non-AMT AT gearboxes, ventilated seats, premium sound systems (and connected car tech if possible) in Nexon and XUV300, which should not be a very difficult job at all and I think your products are more than capable to take on Sonet.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 1st October 2020 at 21:27.
46TheDoctor is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 21:49   #430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
2. Cabin Space: Rear seat legroom is much better in Nexon and XUV300.
True. This is the biggest negative IMHO. Feels only marginally better than the claustrophobic Ecosport.

My knees just touch the front seat set to my height of 5'11''
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 22:09   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Money apart, i am surprised how easily people flock to or buy a car. And here i am, trying to replace a Linea T-jet, reading up, TD’ing. Wow !
True! While I was shopping for a new car, I had limited choice because of my budget. I have TD different cars, did budget planning multiple times and I also had multiple other conditions before I sign my check. Yesterday I visited a jewellery and was surprised to see the crowd there! I certainly don't understanding mind set of WE Indians! I appreciate Kia for building the desirability factor in Indian minds in such a short period of time.
K_Drive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 22:33   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Kia Sonet has become the highest selling model in the compact SUV segment within just 12 days of its launch.

Attachment 2061771

The carmaker sold 9,266 units of the car in September 2020 and bookings have crossed the 35,000 mark already.

Link to Team-BHP News
Damn! Indians literally throw their money when it comes to cars!

Well, eagerly waiting for some of these guys to crib on the internet about how unreliable the first batches of these Hyundai-Kia hatchbacks are!

(Before any Hyundai fan tries to defend these hatchbacks, please know I have atleast 20 cases of breakdown of Seltos-Creta on my laptop and I just do not want to spam the thread! )

Link to something I posted a few days ago. Clear illustration of how much satisfaction can these buyers expect!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4890696 (Hyundai Creta : Official Review)
Old 1st October 2020, 23:40   #433
Senior - BHPian

^ That Creta breakdown post was a sham. The guy who uploaded the breakdown video has followed it up with another from a dealer who have said on record that the owner hasn't brought the vehicle to the dealership after incident. The problem was narrowed down to bad quality fuel.

On topic, I am not surprised. Its a decent car for the money(except the GT variant). I had a hard time deciding between the Creta or the Sonet HTX due to price overlap but ultimately decided to go for the bigger of the two owing to my height and the fact that nobody can use the seat behind me for my driving position on the compact suvs.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 1st October 2020 at 23:44.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:29   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
^ That Creta breakdown post was a sham. The guy who uploaded the breakdown video has followed it up with another from a dealer who have said on record that the owner hasn't brought the vehicle to the dealership after incident. The problem was narrowed down to bad quality fuel.
Because of access to social media, anyone with a camera and decent bandwidth is posting all sorts of videos in the name of experience and expertise. If you go through them, the problem mostly is attributed to inexperienced usage or incorrect user practices.
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:14   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

A comparison between the Sonet and it’s rivals, surprised to see the Venue still coming on the top!

https://www.carandbike.com/reviews/k...YHmgGZHmqJ8HNQ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks