Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 15:12   #526
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post
Since both of them are at similar price points we are confused. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Diesel any day. At that price point and config. If you are confused, it means petrol certainly is not a priority. We have a diesel in our garage already so picked the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Booked a Sonet HTX+ and going to make the full payment in the noon. Delivery expected on Saturday.

Any pointers, suggestions from fellow members? regarding Accessories, Insurance etc. Appreciated.
Congratulations on your booking! Don't bother about accessories. As, mostly it will be out of stock! The carpet mats are actually nice and I want them. If they are in stock at your dealer let me know.

Also, the insurance part. Not sure, if you buy it directly from KIA or the dealer? It will be HDFC ergo/ICICI lombard or what? Given that you have another dealer closer to your place, wouldn't it be natural to go there for service or claims? Just food for thought! I know claiming is a daunting process and the goon like attitude from the dealers is not helping that out. If you are paying the premium for peace of mind it's great. But isn't this an annual payment? What happens over the years? Do you still go back to the dealer? Or try outside? What is the price difference each year? same ball park where they quote 10,000 extra? I really hope we do not have to ever reach a place where we have to make claims!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post

Even we would go take insurance from the dealership to make it a smooth process, also a lot of the dealers are not ready to let customers by insurance from outside. Maybe if we push them enough they will but I think its too much of a hassle and don't know if it will affect us during the claims.
I just hope we don't have to take claims! It's daunting certainly and the kind of marketing done for insurance. Phew, I just wish the sales executives would be so good at selling cars too! I bought the insurance for our other car from the dealer and it's being continued ever since, but that happened because we got a similar price from them as per market rates. Not sure what KIA is cooking up and why everyone is upselling insurance.
Another car that we own (baleno) has ICICI lombard and we did not take the dealer route. Unfortunately we had to make claims couple of times and that was very smooth! We did not face issues there. Unless KIA has it's own interests reserved with the insurance agencies I'm not sure why would they make the process harder!

All in all, until and unless a dealer forces you to buy something it should be fine! If we have our rights conserved as a consumer, it's a win!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 00:14   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
But isn't this an annual payment? What happens over the years? Do you still go back to the dealer? Or try outside? What is the price difference each year? same ball park where they quote 10,000 extra? I really hope we do not have to ever reach a place where we have to make claims!
Yes you are right, it's around 10K extra and honestly I dont mind paying that just for the sake that they are doing everything for me (buying insurance and claiming too) also if the SE is to be believed, the insurance comes from KIA (Although the provider will be Lombard etc etc) but for me as a customer it will be from KIA? I don't care any which ways.

I'm not thinking of a very long term relationship. I might upgrade after 3 years.. so Ill be paying 30Kish extra in 3 years. Dont mind that at all Just to avoid hassles I moved from HTX to HTX+ in 30 mins when the SE said HTX+ is available immediately. Although WFH etc, i dont really need a car that much but dont want to go through this car buying ordeal all over again.

Last edited by Googleman : 16th October 2020 at 00:18.
Old 16th October 2020, 20:55   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitadikonda View Post
My first post! Thanks for making me a part of this community

I have pre-booked Kia Sonet HTX iMT - Steel Silver in August, the dealer has promised me to deliver in about a week after launch. Its gonna be a month next week, still waiting. But after couple of escalations through the Kia Care email address I got a call from dealer that vehicle would be ready early this week (around 13th or 14th)
Quite a disappointing week, it was second time that the delivery date was pushed! It was frustrating having paid a good amount of downpayment and loan formalities completed, in a very strange manner the dealer says vehicle hasn’t arrived (just the day before delivery).

Not sure whom to blame, had to rant and I was asked to speak to Kia’s ASM only to hear that heavy demand for HTX iMT is making things messier for them, and the dealers are more focused on billing the GTX’s from the plant rather than the other ones (yeah for higher margin, ofcourse).

The dealer meanwhile was extremely confident and pushed me to complete the loan formalities only to see it going no where now. May be I should have reassured if the vehicle was in transit atleast.

Looks like Kia needs to re-plan their production and logistics strategy especially when you launch a vehicle with 8+ colors, 3+ powertrains/gearboxes, 6 variants and infinite amount of hype around!

Disappointed.. Hopeful.. Waiting!
Old 16th October 2020, 22:33   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitadikonda View Post
Not sure whom to blame, had to rant and I was asked to speak to Kia’s ASM only to hear that heavy demand for HTX iMT is making things messier for them...
Disappointed.. Hopeful.. Waiting!
I'm having the similar experience for HTX DIESEL MT AURORA BLACK PEARL. Waiting indefinitely.. I've nt signed the loan papers even though the loan executive asked me to complete the process. I couldn't understand KIA's strategy. The dealer have received only GTX versions and none of them have sold yet. From news it seems there are proper deliveries happening in Northern states since the launch.
If the waiting extends more, I'm planning to cancel and go for Nexon. :sly:
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 00:26   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
I'm having the similar experience for HTX DIESEL MT AURORA BLACK PEARL. Waiting indefinitely.. I've nt signed the loan papers even though the loan executive asked me to complete the process. I couldn't understand KIA's strategy. The dealer have received only GTX versions and none of them have sold yet. From news it seems there are proper deliveries happening in Northern states since the launch.
HTX indeed is the most VFM and demanded variant I was told by every dealers in Bangalore and that's the reason I moved a variant above.

If you guys are in Bangalore, try checking dealer in Yesvantpur. Day before yesterday a lady SE was very confident on giving delivery for HTX within 4 weeks (i.e. before Diwali)
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 01:15   #531
BHPian

Quote:
HTX indeed is the most VFM and demanded variant I was told by every dealers in Bangalore and that's the reason I moved a variant above.

If you guys are in Bangalore, try checking dealer in Yesvantpur. Day before yesterday a lady SE was very confident on giving delivery for HTX within 4 weeks (i.e. before Diwali)
I am from Hyderabad, checked with other dealers here and everyone gave up! Its going to be an indefinite wait for HTX iMT.

Yes, HTX is VFM no other competitors (even Venue) is no way near to what it can offer at that price. So it’s difficult to even think of an alternate option. Just have to wait!
Old 17th October 2020, 02:18   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
I booked my Sonet GTX+ D-AT through www.trycarpal.com. He's a friend of mine and he started his venture in Chennai and Bangalore. I used to write for his blog when it was called www.autocarma.in

He gets a certain number of allocations from KIA directly. You can contact him and find out what the waiting period is, I'm sure there will be a chance to get the HTX+ before Diwali.

P.S: This is not a paid/unpaid marketing scheme. I will be taking delivery of my vehicle on November 22nd and I can't wait, myself
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 02:02   #533
BHPian

Just took delivery of my HTX+

I love the looks of the car, specially the cold stare.
Delivery took few hours because the SE kept vanishing every now and then.

Within those few hours I saw atleast 5 Kia cars being delivered. Very busy and their cars are in demand I have to say. The staff is going berserk.

Few things I am not so impressed with...
1. BOSE speakers, not upto my expectations.
2. My basement parking has a steep gradient and I stalled my car twice while climbing that. It might be just me that I was expecting more power out of it as on plain roads it drove like a Santro, quite peppy.
3. Headlights are not strong enough I feel.
4. Suspensions are stiff.
5. Mood lights, I am unable to comprehend why have they added this function. it's useless to me.

I love everything else in the car.
Googleman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 11:08   #534
BHPian

Quote:

3. Headlights are not strong enough I feel.
Congratulations! Please do post a few photos and impressions!

I second that! Went for a highway run at night and there were intermittent showers. I was struggling to keep up with the lights throw and Highway speeds.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:26   #535
BHPian

Quote:

I love the looks of the car, specially the cold stare.
Delivery took few hours because the SE kept vanishing every now and then.

Within those few hours I saw atleast 5 Kia cars being delivered. Very busy and their cars are in demand I have to say. The staff is going berserk.

Few things I am not so impressed with...
Agree completely on bose speakers not being great. I got them replaced with pair of polk audio 652 speakers in the front door in addition to getting all the doors damped in my Seltos gtx plus dct. I feel the sound quality has now improved a lot with much tighter bass. While the speakers were being changed, I noticed that the so called bose speakers were half the weight of polk audio speakers.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:37   #536
BHPian

Hey all,

A couple of days back I took a test drive of both the GTX+ Petrol 7DCT & the GTX+ Diesel Auto and honestly, found them both to be quite smooth and easy to drive.

Now herein lies my 2 quick questions....

Number 1: I live in Delhi and most of my commute is to Noida for work. Travel distance is around 50 kms per day. Should I go for the Diesel or the Petrol? Also need to consider the 10 year registration vs 15 year registration and if it will have a substantial impact later when selling.
(I know most bhpians here are going for the Diesel one)

Number 2: This is more of a personal view, but when I sat in the Sonet, I felt the view from the driver's seat wasn't the best so to say. I am around 5'8" and felt either the dashboard (with the instrument cluster) OR the bonnet of the Sonet was quite high up.
I already own a Seltos and there is a huge difference in the view out. Has anyone felt or noticed this ? If so, was it a problem or manageable? Also, what about others in the family say, who are around 5'4" or 5'5"? Will or can they have a problem with this ?
I think someone in this thread also mentioned the issue with the view out.
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:42   #537
BHPian

ALright, here are some casual raw photos from just after we took the delivery of the car. ( I hate the chiche delivery style, they actually played the song 'congratulations.. and celebrations' with a photo in front of the car

Accessories, I opted out of all the extra Chrome... not of my taste.
The essentials: 3D Cabin mats were available and I took then for 2800/- and mud flap+boot mat was out of stock.

I went around enquiring at local shops today for mudflaps and boot mats. Damn these greedy shopkeepers are charging more for a lower quality product than the price that was quoted by Kia dealer.

Only modifications I want to do is the red stickering like the GTline on side chromes, I like that.

One thing - I haven't been able to go to 6th gear even once... Thanks Bangalore traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post

Number 2: This is more of a personal view, but when I sat in the Sonet, I felt the view from the driver's seat wasn't the best so to say. I am around 5'8" and felt either the dashboard (with the instrument cluster) OR the bonnet of the Sonet was quite high up. .
I am 5.9ish and with the seat height adjusted to the lowest, I am still able to see the bonnet. I agree the Bonnet placement is somewhat upright, but it's not much of an inconvenience during driving
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1525.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1542.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1544.jpg  

Last edited by Googleman : 18th October 2020 at 18:50.
Googleman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:54   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Agree completely on bose speakers not being great.
I am not surprised because the Bose system (I feel) is merely a branding exercise. I am not even sure that this is a full fledged top quality Bose system (it might just be that certain components of the system are branded or manufactured by Bose), since Bose and other more high end systems in cars sound on a different plane altogether. Have sampled a few on other cars in much higher price brackets, of course. Whatever it is, the Bose system on the Sonet is nothing to write home about, especially for audophiles.

How is the clutch action on the diesel - is it comfortable for city use?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th October 2020 at 18:58.
Old 19th October 2020, 14:19   #539

Quick Part Replacement Update:

Horn of my Sonet started sounding timid suddenly. Went up to the Marathahalli unit of JSP and they said only the low tone one was working (which is placed at the right side). The left one was not working for some reason. No warning lights in the console etc. They asked me if I can leave the car there so that they could take it to their main workshop at Singasandra. I told I will take it there myself if that works and went to JSP Kia Singasandra. Took them about 2hrs to replace the horn. Replaced under warranty.
Saitama is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 15:33   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am not surprised because the Bose system (I feel) is merely a branding exercise. I am not even sure that this is a full fledged top quality Bose system (it might just be that certain components of the system are branded or manufactured by Bose), since Bose and other more high end systems in cars sound on a different plane altogether. Have sampled a few on other cars in much higher price brackets, of course. Whatever it is, the Bose system on the Sonet is nothing to write home about, especially for audophiles.

How is the clutch action on the diesel - is it comfortable for city use?
Yeah clutch is smooth but it's 'tall'. By tall I mean, if I keep my heel and try to rest my toe on the clutch, I end up engaging the clutch a little bit. To keep it full free either I have to keep my heel on air, or rest is beside the clutch.

About the BOSE speakers, it might be a good marketing strategy for Kia but why would BOSE tarnish their image like that. I have a Yamaha home theatre and was thinking of upgrading to a BOSE at some point in future. I have changed my mind now.

Most Viewed