Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 10:15   #91
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

HTK+ walk around

HTX walk around

It does seem to have wifi projection in the HTK+ variant video (screenshot attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20200916102508.png  

Last edited by JithinR : 16th September 2020 at 10:26.
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 12:48   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a very short test drive of the GTX+ Diesel At variant at the Sohna road showroom. Test drive was only 5 min within the compound as their test drive cars are not registered yet, so not allowed on the roads yet.
The diesel engine is quite silent at Idle and till 2000 rpm it is not audible. Only when revving above 2000 rpm it becomes a bit audible.
The auto gearbox is responsive and there is no jerk felt when it changes gear.
The suspension is on the firmer side, but not too hard. I took it over the small speed breakers (the aluminium ones) and it did not feel too bad. Having a firm suspension should give it good body control at higher speeds.
The steering felt light at slow speeds and is quite easily maneuverable.
The car feels like a good city car with small footprint and is also very easy to drive. This car will definitely become very popular with our better halves as it has all the desirables which they want and also is good in terms of driving and maneuverability. The red colour will be the top choice I feel, followed by the Gold for people who prefer subtle colours.

I was also chatting with the Service advisor and he shared that around 20k Sonets have already been booked and expected waiting period is around 3 months now.
I like the car definitely and it is among my top 3 contenders and will consider it mid next year, when we replace our Laura. I am also waiting for the launch of the Skoda Vision India before that to make a final choice.

Last edited by Behemoth : 16th September 2020 at 12:50.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 14:20   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Yes, it does look like a protective sticker, thanks go! It is white and not metallic color so I am pretty sure cannot be metal plating. Especially the black ovals above each button make sense as a sticker.
It is now confirmed that this is indeed a sticker. Here is a view of the music system without the stickers, from one of the youtube videos below.

The HTK+ Interior looks really good, almost on par with the HTX. The one miss seems to tbe soft padding on the door armrest and center armrest, this seems missing in HTK+ from the Youtube Video below. I hope Kia has used soft plastics in these parts in the interests of comfort on long journeys. Another miss is the rear headrests are fixed ones and not adjustable. Other than this, the interior looks just as good as the HTX and is just as functional.
Attached Images

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th September 2020 at 14:25.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 08:22   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache_aayush View Post
I have a slightly different opinion from people claiming that sonet will set the charts on fire just like the seltos. Seltos and creta have almost a monopoly in >4m segment as there are no competent alternatives...
People comparing middle variants of sonet with nexon and brezza wont find sonet any better.
I tend to agree. As per the brochure, if someone wants a diesel AT or iMT or manual transmission with ESC, HAC and VSM, the only option is top end GTX+. These are important safety features and should be available on all models.
The rear bumper is also not very assuring. I wonder how the damage will be if there is a contact at the rear end (which is so commonly done by motor cyclists in smaller cities).
It's also unclear if it has cornering lights. Who cares for LED when the headlights shows you only a dark road at a sharp turn.
I'm having a second opinion about the SONET.
TS Rawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 08:41   #95
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet variant wise waiting period

Kia Sonet : Official Review-smartselect_20200917083954_chrome.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/kia-sonet-w...-12375854.html
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
I tend to agree. As per the brochure, if someone wants a diesel AT or iMT or manual transmission with ESC, HAC and VSM, the only option is top end GTX+.
Is it confirmed that ESC, HAC, VSM etc are available in Diesel AT? On Kia website they are only mentioned for 7DCT.

Also, GTX+ Diesel Auto gets the drive modes and traction control. Does the HTK+ Diesel AT also gets the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
I won't bother about the waiting period as it will change when the prices will be announced. I expect a lot of cancellations if Kia will overprice it. Only a day to go now.
Old 17th September 2020, 12:15   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Is it confirmed that ESC, HAC, VSM etc are available in Diesel AT? On Kia website they are only mentioned for 7DCT.

Also, GTX+ Diesel Auto gets the drive modes and traction control. Does the HTK+ Diesel AT also gets the same?
GTX+ trim (both Petrol and Diesel) gets the ESC, HAC, VSM and Break assist.
HTK+ 7DCT get those, not the Diesel AT.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet_features.jpg
Old 17th September 2020, 12:59   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I'd assume their website and brochure to give accurate information. Diesel AT is only available in GTX+ and HTK+ (same as SELTOS). Please, can you disclose the source of your information. My experience with sales representatives of most companies hasn't been very convincing.
Old 17th September 2020, 16:01   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It is now confirmed that this is indeed a sticker. Here is a view of the music system without the stickers, from one of the Youtube videos below.

The HTK+ Interior looks really good, almost on par with the HTX. The one miss seems to tbe soft padding on the door armrest and center armrest, this seems missing in HTK+ from the Youtube Video below. I hope Kia has used soft plastics in these parts in the interests of comfort on long journeys. Another miss is the rear headrests are fixed ones and not adjustable. Other than this, the interior looks just as good as the HTX and is just as functional.
Actually, the physical buttons along with knobs here make a lot more sense. Coupled with wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, I'd not mind sacrificing the extra 2.25" real estate in the top end GTX trim, for the HTK+/HTX Media unit. The touch buttons on the 10.25" feels tacky and uneasy after using physical buttons all this while. Suprisingly nobody is emphasizing on the first-in-segment [it's a first even if we compare it to multiple segment above it ] Wireless Auto/CarPlay and it is something, I suppose, that should be the talking point. The strategy of providing it in the lower trims rather than the top-end just seems strange to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
GTX+ trim (both Petrol and Diesel) gets the ESC, HAC, VSM and Break assist.
HTK+ 7DCT get those, not the Diesel AT.
Attachment 2056255
The Safety Features is the sole reason I'm looking into just the GTX+ trim. In my opinion, its an absolute shame that the Koreans are not emphasizing on safety across all the trims. Over the years, increasing number of citizens [including me] are now considering safety as one of their primary criteria while purchasing a vehicle. Given the exponentially rising audience that Kia is catering to lately, they can pretty easily set a trend for safety and flaunt it as as their USP just like Tatas and the Mahindras are trying to do with NCAP ratings etc.
pandatrooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 16:25   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Options are limited/tricky for people who want an auto box and have largely city drives. One can't expect turbo petrols with DCT/IMT to give 2 digit FE all the time, even in it's smaller capacity. Besides, the turbos drivability in city may not be as smooth in b2b traffic (vis-a-vis D AT or an IVT) owing to it's higher torque in lower band. I feel D AT makes a better option for city use, but then it's surely going to be the most expensive Sonet. Surprised that Kia is not offering a 1.2 IVT which would have filled that gap(of a better city car) for people who do not want a diesel or spend a higher sum for D AT.

Also in this list I can see a D AT in HTK+ trim which is contrary to the report that it's available only in the top of the line GTX+
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-smartselect_20200917083954_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 17th September 2020 at 16:47.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:14   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Also in this list I can see a D AT in HTK+ trim which is contrary to the report that it's available only in the top of the line GTX+
The diesel AT was always available in the HTK+ variant. Please see the powertrain options table from the official Brochure (sharing again for people who may have missed it earlier).
Kia Sonet : Official Review-powertrainoptions.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sonet-4-page-leaflet-m.pdf (4.89 MB, 1277 views)

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th September 2020 at 17:17.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 21:35   #102
BHPian

This one actually shows wireless Apple Carplay in action at 12:50 onwards.

JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 21:54   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

The engine gets audible above 3,000 rpm and is loud above 4,000 rpm.
The same engine in Seltos and Creta 2.0 has been praised on TeamBHP review to say that the engine is very refined till about 4500 RPM.

So, what could be the reason that the same engine gets a poor review in Sonet?

Possibly two reasons IMHO

1. There is bonnet insulation in Seltos and Creta 2.0
2. Overall insulation levels and materials used for insulation are much better in Seltos/Creta twins.

In a "supposedly" premium compact cross-over, I am staggered that Kia have not given sufficient importance to NVH in the Sonet!

From Seltos/Creta review

Quote:
Coming to NVH levels, this 1.5L engine is among the most refined diesels around. It never sounds rough or too loud. In fact, when cruising on the highway, it doesn't sound like a diesel at all. Things get loud only near the redline (4,500 rpm). Other than that, the engine is sweet and smooth.

Last edited by searacer932 : 17th September 2020 at 21:56.
Old 17th September 2020, 23:02   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: Railway Pics

Not sure whether this is the right thread, but nevertheless here we go. Some images of Kia Seltos, Sonet, Carnival being loaded into a train at Penukonda near Kia's factory. They are headed to Farukhnagar around 50 km from Delhi. Images shared by Bangalore division of South Western railway. This was 5th rake of Kia SUVs loaded this month. Source

Kia Sonet : Official Review-eih95mouwaaof27.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-eih95mlvkaeafqx.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-eih95mmu0aan3sv.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-eih95mnu4ael_6r.jpeg
AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 23:30   #105
BHPian

Does anyone else not really like the looks of the Kia Sonet? Check out how I think it should have looked here:

Please let me know your thoughts!

Most Viewed