Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 12:15   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• The fact that the Thar has 2-doors and ingress to the rear seat is impossible for the elderly makes it an impractical choice.

[
How easy or difficult will it be for a dog to climb on to the rear front facing seat ? Will the side facing seat variant be more convenient for a dog to jump on board from the rear gate ?

This could be the only deal breaker for me , sadly .

Last edited by Ravich : 25th September 2020 at 12:18.
Ravich is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:44   #77
BHPian

An excellent review and write up. The point about the highway manners, the cornering limits and the safe speed for highway and corners is something you will never find in any other review. Its quite important especially since many Thar owners will be driving this category of car for the first time and the engine is much more potent than the chassis.
Does it make sense to buy a Thar petrol auto as a second car in place of a hatchback for daily city use(and weekend use of short highways runs and mild off-roading) , if there are only front seat passengers most of the time?
Am planning mine in 2022
Old 25th September 2020, 12:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
How easy or difficult will it be for a dog to climb on to the rear front facing seat ? Will the side facing seat variant be more convenient for a dog to jump on board from the rear gate ?

If I am not wrong, the back seats of Thar are individually removable. You can remove one seat or both and your dog will be very happy if you give him/her the entire boot space I guess it shouldn't be that difficult to climb from the tail gate side.
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 12:53   #79
BHPian

Quote:

Excellent query...

Tipsy my Pomeranian (3 years old)can easily jump into the front and back seats of both my Nano and Nexon, depending on your dog's breed you should try it out during the TD afterall they have equal rights on our ride.
Vinod_nair is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
If I am not wrong, the back seats of Thar are individually removable. You can remove one seat or both and your dog will be very happy if you give him/her the entire boot space I guess it shouldn't be that difficult to climb from the tail gate side.
Thx ! Our beagle likes to stand with his rear feet on the seat and front feet on the console hand rest . Removing the seats didn’t strike me ! I can make a comfy floor mattress for him there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Excellent query...

Tipsy my Pomeranian (3 years old)can easily jump into the front and back seats of both my Nano and Nexon, depending on your dog's breed you should try it out during the TD afterall they have equal rights on our ride.
Our beagle shouldn’t have any difficulties either with Thar I think ! As nagr22 suggested removing the rear seats to make way for a comfy mattress is a splendid idea .
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-cba5880b707c4e0f9475141422265897.jpeg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th September 2020 at 15:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi quote option when replying to multiple posts.
Ravich is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:02   #81
BHPian

Thanks for a early and wonderful review. I was planning to buy a pre worshipped CLA as my second car but your review has made me inclined towards a new Thar.
Rustom Mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:15   #82
BHPian

I have mixed thoughts on buying this vehicle. If i did buy this, it would be my 2nd car.

1) As a family man:
If i do an outstation trip, i would go with my wife and kids. So the thar should have been a capable 4 seater with decent luggage space.
Maybe raising the rear seats by say 6-8 inches could provide better thigh support, more space covering wheel arches and maybe more boot space due to height increase?
Not sure why a 6 -8 inch height raise of seats would make the vehicle so unstable given its base weight?

2) Locations for 4x4: I am based out of Bangalore. Regular places for me are Kabini, Chickmagalur, western ghats or Coorg. Not sure which places need a full 4x4 SUV to reach the destination. Wont a Creta or other car-SUV's do the job? Where do you see yourself driving a thar around Bangalore where you need a full 4x4? Just curious.
Old 25th September 2020, 14:17   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurav_Nair View Post
The top bid for the Thar #1 is now standing at a whopping ₹81L.
Attachment 2058878
At this rate, I won't be surprised if it touches the ₹1Cr mark.
I am honestly surprised to see such enthusiasm from our fellow Indians for the serial #1. I think it may land up as a collector's item, an item that will be cherished by the owner.

Link for following the auction
https://auction.carandbike.com/home/auction
Why are people bidding so much for the 1st Thar?

Is it just because they want to be able to brag that they are the 1st customer? or is there something more to it? Does it have any other features that regualr Thars sold a week, a month later won't have?

If it was a rare or exotic piece, like say an old Rols Royce/ Bentley no longer in production, I'd understand. But a regular Mahindra Thar, which they can buy in 15 lakhs next month? This, in a country whose biggest concern is "Average Kya hai?" and the moto is "Paisa Vasool".

Am I missing something?
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post

Is it just because they want to be able to brag that they are the 1st customer? or is there something more to it? Does it have any other features that regualr Thars sold a week, a month later won't have?

If it was a rare or exotic piece, like say an old Rols Royce/ Bentley no longer in production, I'd understand. But a regular Mahindra Thar, which they can buy in 15 lakhs next month? This, in a country whose biggest concern is "Average Kya hai?" and the moto is "Paisa Vasool".

Am I missing something?
Owning the first Thar surely might be a reason but the wish to provide donation to help fight the ongoing pandemic might be a reason too. Affluent individuals and well to do businesses might want to do a nobel work or some may simply want some publicity by shelling out some money.

Lowflyer23
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 15:10   #85
BHPian

Thanks GTO for a great real life review.
I guess the excitement of the first few rides on launch day was understandable, and now you start seeing the warts.
I'm now keen on a longish TD to see and feel the driving dynamics for myself. A powerful engine on an unstable frame does seem a disaster waiting to happen, if the Thar got into not-so-mature hands, specially cornering on high speeds.
Since this will probably be a third car in our stable, it will be used for the butch appeal and to let off steam on an off road track once in a while.
Long drives - Endevour
City commute - Superb
Occasional trips to office to 'show off' and decent off roading - Thar.

Buying decision will depend on what price Mahindra decide to sell this at.
Old 25th September 2020, 15:36   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, side-facing seats would definitely be a better option since you can keep these folded (unless you need additional seating), freeing up the entire bay for your four-legged friend. I keep my Gypsy's rear seats folded up permanently and my dog just loves the real estate she gets

In case your Thar would ferry more than 2 human passengers very frequently, you might want to go in for front facing seats. If so, your best bet would be to remove one (or both) of these and free up the space. But bolting these back on when needed would be some chore, mind you.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 16:28   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• I am buying the Thar, and so are many BHPians. But let me make it clear that the Thar is NOT for everyone. It is a special vehicle with many talents. However, there are also many compromises to be made. Be sure to take a long test-drive before you commit. Be sure to read this post again & again.
Lovely review GTO, absolutely fair and brutally honest. You are one lucky chap, tell me, who else gets to so comprehensively test drive a car before actual purchase?

For prospective customers who do not come from the "Jeep, Gypsy, Gurkha Ecosystem", the statement quoted above is gospel truth, if you ignore it, you might repent your decision.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:22   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post

Am I missing something?
If people can pay lakhs to just get a number plate of their liking, this is a full vehicle we are talking of. I am sure there are a lot of people for whom that amount of money is less important than actually owning the icon. And who knows if it really becomes iconic a resale could get them even more in another auction later in its life.

And anyways, the more the bid, the more a noble cause will get, so I would pray it crosses the crore mark also. What better use of money.
Old 25th September 2020, 17:33   #89
BHPian

I cant stop drooling over this !

Fact remains that this will be a pain to live with for a family man and B-Segment Hatch <4M length will work much better for a general purpose. But if you already have a competent car or people mover in your garage, you can sacrifice practicality for drool worthy looks.

That second row ingress and seating position means only two reasonably sized adults can travel with a kid + some luggage.
Old 25th September 2020, 17:34   #90
BHPian

Here is a video of the Thar diesel's manual and automatic acceleration. Looks pretty impressive and cruising all day long at 120kmph doesn't seem to be too stressfull with those tall 6 gears.

Venku2015 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks