Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 09:12   #16
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L AT

Congratulations on your upgrade!!

GTO is smiling on the inside reading about another successful lateral upgrade, haha!

Wish you many more happy miles on your ride. Alloys look real stylish but take away the understated class of the OEM wheels. Looks nice and unique this way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
3. The ICE is absolutely necessary. Except the Camry, Toyota has never had a good audio set up in any of their cars. The MDF rings also look good and well fitted.
The camry doesn't seem so well equipped either?!? I've heard the crysta and know that it sounds real bad but the camry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

....and then to 'ice' it all; that really terrible ICE (pun intended) system and that really stupid rear arm rest....... For a car expected to sell primarily for the comfort in the rear seat why stick a pair of 6x9 BEHIND the rear seat like it was an after thought? Even in the front the cubby holes are a bit innane....
Old 5th October 2020, 09:47   #17
BHPian

Congratulations sir, have a million happy miles with such superb vehicle.

May I know where in Amritsar you got the audio upgraded ? Upgrades on my car are still pending and I'm waiting to get back to Delhi for the same but I'm open to get the upgrades done locally if it could be done here with same fit and finish.

Lastly, what brand alloys are those ? I had checked alloys at Creative wheels and King tyres Amritsar but none of them had Momo / o.z. or any other good branded alloys. They had only plati or similar local quality alloys. If you've got such alloys, I'd suggest to change them either to OEM alloys or good brand alloys and they are critical component of vehicle.
Old 5th October 2020, 13:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Congratulations on your upgrade!!

GTO is smiling on the inside reading about another successful lateral upgrade, haha!

The camry doesn't seem so well equipped either?!? I've heard the crysta and know that it sounds real bad but the camry...
Yup. All inspiration from GTO thread: Lateral upgrade. Saved me a cool Rs 20 lakhs approx.

The ICE is pathetic, so had to replace it. The HU is good and functional so retained it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
Congratulations sir, have a million happy miles with such superb vehicle.

May I know where in Amritsar you got the audio upgraded ? Upgrades on my car are still pending and I'm waiting to get back to Delhi for the same but I'm open to get the upgrades done locally if it could be done here with same fit and finish.

They had only plati or similar local quality alloys. If you've got such alloys, I'd suggest to change them either to OEM alloys or good brand alloys and they are critical component of vehicle.
Thanks . I got the audio upgraded from Ludhiana. Could not find any good audio upgrade store here in Amritsar. PM me if you need the details. I would surely recommend that to anyone looking for such upgrades. good variety and professional dealing
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:19   #19
BHPian

Reading this post and a previous one on someone guiding a buyer to purchase a pre-owned Lexus in the US, here are a few points of comparison between the two car markets that I observed:

1. US is a developed country, and we are still en route. There will always be a difference

2. Most of the car players are organized in the US. We still operate through a large percentage of unorganized players

3. The sheer number of car models in the US is far too many in comparison to here.

4. We still have more people preferring used cars than new ones, and its the opposite in the States.
bosem123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 07:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosem123 View Post
here are a few points of comparison between the two car markets that I observed:
4. We still have more people preferring used cars than new ones, and its the opposite in the States.
Yes, working Online and even Tution / Academics WILL lead to much less Car usage, and thus more and more people will tend to go for pre-owned cars at 1/3rd price of new car. Car has become like commodity and brand new or pre-owned, people mostly change after 3-4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Hello Everyone,
DISLIKES:
2) Thin sheet metal, very prone to denting.
Nice Write up Manas. Since you go to highways often, just be aware all the time that newer model is not as strong and safe as older Innova.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2020 at 21:06. Reason: Fixed broken quote, adding full stops to the end of sentences.
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:06   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats @manasmadaan on the 2.8.
Happy family, happy you with the engine, money saved.

The Innova Crysta is shaping up to be good used choice.
A good number of the used sales look like on the verge distress sales, with owners finding that their running has gone down drastically, long distance highway trips all but gone and maybe realisation that they would be better off with any of the crossovers between 10-15 lakhs.
Add to the model being non DPF equipped and availability of the 2.8l variant, makes it more tempting.

That is if TKM doesn't raise the price by a couple of lakhs again with the upcoming facelift., having a trickle down effect on used car prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post

DISLIKES:
2) Thin sheet metal, very prone to denting.

Nice Write up Manas. Since you go to highways often, just be aware All the time that newer model is not as strong and safe as older Innova
Sorry to be rude, but this just seems to be a vague claim.

Neither crash tests nor real world accidents indicate that the newer Innova(Crysta) is not as strong as the old Innova.
All factors considered, the Innova Crysta maybe the safest way to transport 5+ people on Indian roads.

Maybe it is just a feeling like how the old Innova's interior felt airy and bigger to some, just because of the lighter shades.
The tighter feel and short gearing of the old Innova may give the feeling it is more planted on the road ~100km/h.
The older Innova too had the problem of easily dented thin body panels.

Last edited by DicKy : 6th October 2020 at 09:09.
Old 6th October 2020, 09:41   #22
BHPian

Congrats @manasmadaan the car looks like brand new, fresh from showroom. Why did you downsize your wheels to 16 inches? Did you face any sidewall cuts on those 17 inchers or did you downsize for extra comfort? Also did you notice any increase in fuel efficiency after downsizing the wheel size? These alloys look good, but stock alloys look great IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Congrats @manasmadaan on the 2.8.
Happy family, happy you with the engine, money saved.

The Innova Crysta is shaping up to be good used choice.
A good number of the used sales look like on the verge distress sales, with owners finding that their running has gone down drastically, long distance highway trips all but gone and maybe realisation that they would be better off with any of the crossovers between 10-15 lakhs.
Add to the model being non DPF equipped and availability of the 2.8l variant, makes it more tempting.
We have a 2.4 Gx MT Crysta, I drove my friend's 2.8 Z AT for an airport run, I put the gear in sports mode and drove it, it puts any D segment sedan to shame. The pick up, acceleration and gear changes are too good and swift. I wish we bought a 2.8 AT instead of 2.4 MT before it got discontinued. On the brighter side, 2.4 is still in production and parts availability is not a problem. 2.8 also shares mechanicals with Fortuner so I don't think there's an issue for that as well. Our running is more so 2.4 MT makes sense for better mileage.

Quote:

Neither crash tests nor real world accidents indicate that the newer Innova(Crysta) is not as strong as the old Innova.
All factors considered, the Innova Crysta maybe the safest way to transport 5+ people on Indian roads.

Maybe it is just a feeling like how the old Innova's interior felt airy and bigger to some, just because of the lighter shades.
The tighter feel and short gearing of the old Innova may give the feeling it is more planted on the road ~100km/h.
We have an old Innova and Crysta. I am disappointed with Crysta's handing on high speeds, it felt very filmsy, more like Qualis, I second Lightning2's opinion. The vehicle also felt very delicate like thin sheet metal compared to previous generation Innova. Even if you try to hit the sheet metal of both old gen Innova and Crysta with your knuckles, you can feel old Innova being more solid.

I agree, we don't have any crash test data and statistics to prove which is stronger and which metal is weaker. After owning and using 3 Toyota cars from same segment (Qualis, Innova and Crysta), I felt old Innova to be much solid and planted on highways.

This could also attribute to more powerful engines on Crysta.

Old Innova 2.5 produces 101 BHP and 200 NM torque,
Crysta 2.4 produces 148 BHP and 340 NM torque and
Crysta 2.8 produces 172 BHP and 360 NM of torque,

may be the quick acceleration and attaining greater speeds quickly might have caused that feeling on highways. It is dangerously fast in S mode and you don't even realize that you are doing 3 digit speeds in no time compared to the good old Qualis and old Innova.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 6th October 2020 at 09:44.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 12:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

I was going to write the same. The older innova also had similar easily denting panels. I could not find any information regarding the new one being less safe than the last gen.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Congrats @manasmadaan the car looks like brand new, fresh from showroom. Why did you downsize your wheels to 16 inches? Did you face any sidewall cuts on those 17 inchers or did you downsize for extra comfort? Also did you notice any increase in fuel efficiency after downsizing the wheel size? These alloys look good, but stock alloys look great IMHO.
Thanks
The car had 16 inches wheels only. probably the previous owner had downsized it or i had also read that after complaints about the 17 inch wheels, toyota had replaced them with 16 inches on later dispatches in the pre facelift model (Not sure about it though).
The ride quality is good but cant compare it with 17 inches as i havent tested them.
Old 6th October 2020, 12:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Congrats @manasmadaan

We have an old Innova and Crysta. I am disappointed with Crysta's handing on high speeds, it felt very filmsy, more like Qualis, I second Lightning2's opinion. The vehicle also felt very delicate like thin sheet metal compared to previous generation Innova. Even if you try to hit the sheet metal of both old gen Innova and Crysta with your knuckles, you can feel old Innova being more solid.
I had the older Innova too. My take is that the older models took for ever to reach the 100KM/Hr mark and it will be craving for a 6th gear, but that's it, you sometimes feel exasperated that you aren't able to push it more. 120km/hr and it feels like heaven to cruise all day.

The newer one , on the contrary, has some ridiculous accelerations and sometimes, you don't realize that its going way past acceptable speeds.

That may be the perceptible difference when it comes to handling. When I drive my 2.8 AT on the highways and if I am cruising at 110-115 range, its bliss. I sometimes feel that it is just gliding on the highways.

And truth be told, the 'S' mode in my car has been touched just twice or so in the past 40 odd months of ownership. The first was when we got the car home, and you are in the mood to try everything and the second time was during our first highway run. Having just shifted from the older Innova, the 'S' mode did send some chills and I don't recall using it ever since.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 00:18   #26

Congratulations on your new possession, the FE of 18kmpl from a 2.8 litre is superb, wish you lots of happy miles. Request if you can share the complete cost of the new ICE setup.
Nihitkul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 13:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihitkul View Post
Congratulations on your new possession, the FE of 18kmpl from a 2.8 litre is superb, wish you lots of happy miles. Request if you can share the complete cost of the new ICE setup.
Yes, the FE i have been getting is insane for a vehicle this size and with this beast of an engine.
The ICE setup costed me Approx Rs 1.2 lakhs
Old 7th October 2020, 13:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
When I drive my 2.8 AT on the highways and if I am cruising at 110-115 range, its bliss. I sometimes feel that it is just gliding on the highways.

The 'S' mode in my car has been touched just twice or so in the past 40 odd months of ownership. The first was when we got the car home, and you are in the mood to try everything and the second time was during our first highway run. Having just shifted from the older Innova, the 'S' mode did send some chills and I don't recall using it ever since.
I agree. Its a very efficient and comfortable highway cruiser and at the above mentioned speeds, its truly a bliss.
I have never felt the need for S mode. I used it only once just for the sake of checking it and it brought insane acceleration. I dont feel, i will ever need to use it again. The eco mode does the work nicely.
Old 7th October 2020, 18:33   #29
BHPian

Many congratulations, your Innova seems to be in a great nick. Just wondering if it is possible to replace the rear captain seats with a bench seat.

I am in a similar position as you and am looking for a lightly used top of the range automatic Innova. But those captain seats are a deal breaker for me and the lower version of the automatic vehicle with the bench seat are way too sparse.

Last edited by Locomotive : 7th October 2020 at 18:34. Reason: Innova got auto corrected to Innovative
Old 7th October 2020, 21:31   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The car you have just acquired is a keeper, there was and is no replacement for the 2.8L Innova wishing you lakhs of happy kilometres! The comfort, reliability, space and power is simply outstanding no wonder the Innova still manages to sell the numbers it does. Keep updating the thread as you rake up the kilometres. The aftermarket taillights are amazing only the ones below the Toyota logo look a bit out of place, too blingy when lit up could blind someone in the night with the full setup switched on.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks