Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 17:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunRam View Post
Congratulations on your new Polo. But its also sad that you had to experience this inconvenience.

In my opinion, the crack of you windshield should be covered by warranty. I am not sure, if it should come under the purview of insurance.
I feel the stresses on the windshield caused by faulty installation at the factory is the likely cause of the issue. The vibrations of the driving has exuberated it to the breaking point. The progression of the crack also indicates the same.

Hope you get it fixed soon.
Yes. The glass should be resilient against the vibrations of door closing, roads etc. and I've been told that minor offsets during installation can crack glass even with a minor fist pump. As you read already, the company is refusing to communicate with me and so there's been no scope for requesting clarification from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Congrats on the Polo! There's absolutely no reason to get a GT now. The black interior makes it look slightly less dated, but that doesn't justify the premium+missing features.

I'm also curious about how you disabled the warning at 80 km/hr. Could you please elaborate, I'm sure there are other Polo owners who would find this very helpful.
It's a VCDS coding adjustment. But I'm scared I'll get into legal trouble for letting it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Congratulations on the new car!

On the windshield aspect, its a bit surprising that they took so much time and also the quote seems to be quite high.

I got my Vento's windshield replaced couple of times in the last 3 months after two stone pellet hits on the highway. It came around 9k and it was replaced in half a day both the times in Bangalore.
In this case, the revised part number is not available on their service parts catalogue for order. Usually, the dealership does keep common windshields in stock. Even now, the dealership has a 2017-18 Vento Polo Green Glass in stock. That is slightly less expensive compared to the newer part. The executive might have quoted me the wrong labour amount. Will update when I have the vehicle back.
fluidicjoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:08   #17
BHPian

Congratulations! I own a Polo and it is almost a decade old now. Everything about the car is fantastic. Allow me to give you a couple of tips from my experience.

1. I'd to spend considerable amount of money on replacing the rubber bushes in the steering rack and suspension over the last 10 years. I recommend using ATP AT-205 Re-Seal. You can order it on Amazon and just put it in a spray bottle and sprinkle it on your rubber parts once a year. I learnt this from one of the Scotty Kilmer's video and it has greatly helped.

2. Multitude of Polo, Vento and Rapid have seen steering column failure. This is an electronic part and it costs a fortune to replace it. For me it happened outside the warranty and set me back by nearly 60k. There is not much you can do from the standpoint of maintenance, but make sure you take that 6th year warranty as well.

3. Last but not the least, My service advisor did not bother changing the sparkplugs every 30k Km. That had my ignition coil go kaput. Thus, as a precaution I would suggest that you get your spark plugs changed every service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Speed Alarm of 80km/h is enabled from the factory, but has been disarmed using ODIS.
Could you share where did you purchase this ODIS and some more detail on how you managed to disarm the speed alarm ?
fache89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:31   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Polo, we bought home our new Flash Red Polo HL+ AT on 29th October.
I will pen down my review soon. We have almost same thoughts in narrowing down to Polo,
I cancelled my Sonet Diesel AT booking and chose Polo because of the ease of handling.
RaceHorse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fache89 View Post
Congratulations! I own a Polo and it is almost a decade old now. Everything about the car is fantastic. Allow me to give you a couple of tips from my experience.

1. I'd to spend considerable amount of money on replacing the rubber bushes in the steering rack and suspension over the last 10 years. I recommend using ATP AT-205 Re-Seal. You can order it on Amazon and just put it in a spray bottle and sprinkle it on your rubber parts once a year. I learnt this from one of the Scotty Kilmer's video and it has greatly helped.

2. Multitude of Polo, Vento and Rapid have seen steering column failure. This is an electronic part and it costs a fortune to replace it. For me it happened outside the warranty and set me back by nearly 60k. There is not much you can do from the standpoint of maintenance, but make sure you take that 6th year warranty as well.

3. Last but not the least, My service advisor did not bother changing the sparkplugs every 30k Km. That had my ignition coil go kaput. Thus, as a precaution I would suggest that you get your spark plugs changed every service.

Could you share where did you purchase this ODIS and some more detail on how you managed to disarm the speed alarm ?
Hey, thanks for the great tips. Yes, I have heard about the rack rattling and going bad prematurely. Didn't know about the sparkplugs.

You don't really need ODIS to disarm the speed alarm. Even VCDS is just fine. Both can be procured from AliExpress. ODIS is a dealer level VW scan tool, which I primarily use for other MQB cars. Will share more details soon.
fluidicjoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
Congratulations on your new Polo, we bought home our new Flash Red Polo HL+ AT on 29th October.
I will pen down my review soon. We have almost same thoughts in narrowing down to Polo,
I cancelled my Sonet Diesel AT booking and chose Polo because of the ease of handling.
Congratulations to you too! Flash Red is a legendary colour on the Polo. Did you get the White and Red Edition?

Waiting for your review on the same. Glad we settled on the Highline+ over the GT TSI.
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 21:56   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on your Polo.
Also sorry about your glass.

I used to own a Polo. Believe it or not, I've changed 7 glasses in 4 years. Used to do NICE road in Bengaluru daily twice and too many trucks kicking up stones in broken toll road.
So 6th time, I changed it to Asahi glass or something from WindShield experts. That was long lasting than VW's glass! Stayed till I sold the car a year and half later.

You can try the warranty route, but I believe they'll push hard towards "miscreants or small stone hit while you are driving" angle.

Good luck dealing with this and happy motoring once you have it back.
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 22:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

Congrats man! Lovely shade. Drive safe and enjoy when you get her back from the service center!

Just curious - are you planning to install a steering wheel with paddle shifts?

Quote:
2. Multitude of Polo, Vento and Rapid have seen steering column failure. This is an electronic part and it costs a fortune to replace it. For me it happened outside the warranty and set me back by nearly 60k.
What year was this? The steering rack assy with the track rods costs 7k today (just the part) and is manufactured locally by Rane Madras Ltd.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2020 at 22:11.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 23:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
Congratulations on your Polo.
Also sorry about your glass.

I used to own a Polo. Believe it or not, I've changed 7 glasses in 4 years. Used to do NICE road in Bengaluru daily twice and too many trucks kicking up stones in broken toll road.
So 6th time, I changed it to Asahi glass or something from WindShield experts. That was long lasting than VW's glass! Stayed till I sold the car a year and half later.

You can try the warranty route, but I believe they'll push hard towards "miscreants or small stone hit while you are driving" angle.

Good luck dealing with this and happy motoring once you have it back.
Yes, the company will always try and prove a STONE pitching as a cause for cracking the glass.
Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic-polo-2021-glass.jpg
Actually, Volkswagen Windshield Glass on vehicles sold in the last few years is actually an ASAHI Glass itself. Have attached a photo for reference. The MY 2021 models have an IR+GREY+CUT tag and a small code modification over the 2019 Green Grey glasses. Both made by ASAHI India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Congrats man! Lovely shade. Drive safe and enjoy when you get her back from the service center!

Just curious - are you planning to install a steering wheel with paddle shifts?
Wow! It's really great hearing from you as I have sincerely been following and reading all of your DIYs even when I did not have a Polo. A huge fan of your work. Yes, a lot more photoshoots and drives lined up when she is finally back. I have managed to source a similar Polo Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifts, but yet to wire it on. As per a few Russian Forums, the 09G would need a few changes to the long coding to accept the Paddle Shifter input, but yet to verify this for myself. I have installed the Paddle Shifter Wheel on my friend's DSG GT TSI and it was fairly straight forward. Will keep updating the thread. Thanks for the kind words
fluidicjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 23:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What year was this? The steering rack assy with the track rods costs 7k today (just the part) and is manufactured locally by Rane Madras Ltd.
You me be referring to a different part. I had to replace the steering column sometime in Mar'17. My car is 2011. Below is the invoice snapshot with part number.

Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic-20201104_233645.jpg
fache89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 03:21   #25
Sen
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for these amazing tips! Looks like importing ATP AT-205 Re-Seal seems the way to go via Amazon.

Will definitely keep the spark plugs in mind, and have opted and will continue my Vento's warranty to the 7th year.

Really useful info.
Old 5th November 2020, 08:58   #26
BHPian

I still love the looks of Polo and I’ll prefer this clean looking car over funky looking Hyundai i20 anytime. Nd 1.0 TSi engine is cherry on cake. Congratulations for this beauty.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 10:59   #27
BHPian

Update On The Windshield Issue
Received a call from the dealership saying that the VIN Specific Windshield Glass 6RG 845 011 AL pricing (Rs. 5500) is now available on their portal and that the same has been ordered. Unfortunately, the ETA(Estimated Time of Arrival) is still unknown to them, and they have no answer about when the glass could realistically be delivered. I'm genuinely confused about how to proceed with this problem.

Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic-screenshot-20201105-10.45.26-am.png

Here is a screenshot from ETKA about my dilemma and I would really be grateful if the experts could shed some light on this matter. The dealership has the 6RG 845 011 T readily available and the description between the T and the AL/AD is a 90% match. Both come with 4L6, which is a Rain Sensor mounting but the Heat Insulating Aspect PR Number 4GS and 4GC is varying. Here is a description of the Option Codes :-
4GC = Windshield in heat-insulating glass withsunshield
4GK = Laminated windshield, with sunshield (Common for both parts)
4GS = Heat-insulating glass windshield

The question I'm facing is whether or not I should go ahead with the T glass and finish the work once and for all. The dealership said the decision is mine and that I'd be responsible for any consequences arising due to incompatibility of the same. The fact that I haven't had the car with me for about 2 weeks now is additionally making me extremely uncomfortable. Any feedback would really be helpful.
fluidicjoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:29   #28
BHPian

Hey man,
First of all, loved your ownership review. Now coming to your question on whether you should get the T glass. Honestly, it is sad to see a new car lying around at the workshop when it's supposed to be enjoyed. Just get the T glass. Don't let the car waste more days sitting around at the dealership.

All the best.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:48   #29
BHPian

Congrats on the New Polo! It's a great car for 2 to drive around in city and once addicted to VAG cars, there's no turning back.
The color is also unique apart form the Regular Reds and White which are very common in Polo
And by looking into ETKA for VIN details tells that you surely have an eye for detail and are used to VW. Most buyers don't even check the VIN details

If the service experience & cost of spares reduce, then there would a lot of potential for VW.

Its nice to know that the 1.0 packs a punch as well. However VW needs to bring in the international Polo. And even after 01 years VW has not provided display warnings for rear parking sensors nor a rear camera which is almost a necessity in 2020.
The surprise is that rear AC has been added.

Wishing you trouble free miles of safe driving

Last edited by jithin23 : 5th November 2020 at 11:49.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Initial Engine Gearbox Impressions

The engine is still running in (another topic for debate) and I have been taking care to not abuse it till I'm mentally ready to push this car hard. So far in the 80km odd city commute that I've driven this car, I'm not a fan of the vibrations of this 3 cylinder engine. I drive with a very light foot in town and have a habit of letting the car coast when I have to brake a while later and during this RPM descent from 3000 to 1200RPM, the vibration and harshness is even more pronounced.

Coming from a creamy smooth 1.2L Hyundai Petrol Engine, this engine does noticeably vibrate a lot in the lower part of the rev band and this is especially more pronounced if you drive with a light foot. Where it does start shining is when you drive it with hard and the TSI revs and defies the absence of the cylinder. I have had a few highway runs on this car, and it is a delight to be behind the wheel when the turbo kicks in!

Gearbox

The gearbox still seems to be coping with the newness of the vehicle. The initial shifts seem fairly rough and this is more pronounced with downshifts. The gearbox is fairly quick in the D1-D4 range but in the city, the gearbox juggles between D2 and D3. Most shifts with a light foot seemed to be taking place at the 3000-3200RPM mark. The creep is exceptionally high, and on a few 30-40 second signals, I even experienced discomfort due to the excess pressure I had to apply to the brakes to keep this beast tamed.

Even before I drove this vehicle for the first time, a paddle shift wheel retrofit was on the cards for this car, but I think I will give it a miss. The gearbox is not super quick in the manual mode and overall I believe I shouldn't keep too many expectations about the shift quality on this gearbox. It is no DSG, contrary to what the sales people want us to believe. In fact, before finalising this car, I drove a preowned well 2018 DSG Polo with 23000kms on the clock and it was so much more seamless with its shifts. The D3-D2 on this unit is horribly clunky and jerky and this starts to get annoying after aggressive driving. The overall gearbox feels quick and the 6 Ratios should translate to good fuel efficiency on long trips, but the gearbox intrinsically does not seem to be tuned for efficiency. My i10 is on the its highest cog (D4) past 60km/h while this AISIN unit seems to be stuck at D3/D4 at the same speed at about 2900-3100RPM. I'm really curious to learn more about what has really changed in this supposedly new version of the 09G (AQ250) AISIN unit offered by the Volkswagen Group.
I also recently brought home a White Polo HP AT and I've done around 1000kms on it. I find that our observations on the engine and especially the gearbox wary quite a bit. I come from owning a Baleno Petrol MT and while there is audible 3 cyl thrum, it's not as pronounced inside as I'd expected. I didn't experience any vibrations, only the noise, and definitely not when driving with a light foot at city speeds. My mother, who doesn't understand all this, also commented on the quietness. You start to hear it when you take it to the highway, yes, but it's still only noise. You really get to hear how loud it is if you stand outside, then it's no match for the refinement of the 4 cyls.

My sales people everywhere (I checked 3 showrooms) knew that it's a torque converter and not a DSG. I probably would never have gone for a VW DSG car given the reliability issues. As for the shifts, my car almost always shifts at 2000-2100 rpm with a light foot. This has been confirmed in most of the reviews I've watched. Even with slightly heavier foot, the gear shifts take place at around ~2700rpm in the D mode. Are you sure you aren't driving in the S mode?

To verify the observations, I went on a short little drive today. My car shifted to D5 at the speed of 60 every time. The only noticeable gearshift for me has been the D2 to D3 and vice versa. Since my run in period's almost over, I've started pushing it a little and you may also feel the gear shifts then but under normal conditions, I've not felt any of the D4/D5/D6. Okay, maybe ever so slightly, but only when I'm looking for it. In the D mode, my car has NEVER touched 3k rpms before shifting.

As for the creep mode being aggressive, I noticed that in the TD unit of GT TSI but I've not found it much of a problem in my own car. Perhaps I've gotten used to it. I do find the R a bit aggressive though, that can be difficult to handle in tight spaces.
RoadMonkey is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks