Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 14:48   #46
BHPian

re: Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman689 View Post
I would like to add the Isuzu V Cross to the above list.

Would love to know if anyone disagrees.

Hey there Sandman, honestly its not about disagreement. The Isuzu is wonderful and has strong bones and DNA, but the price point it is offered at is what makes it unrealistic for many buyers who would probably use it for what is used for say in Australia or South Africa.
If they would give an option of getting the Dmax in the 4wd avatar, believe me that would be a roaring success, but then that would never happen and hence the reason behind not including the Vcross in the list for it is easily at least 6-8 lakhs more expensive than the others.
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 23:10   #47
BHPian

Wow what a wonderful thread this is, many congratulations to you for having this beauty in your garage. The pics are beautiful and pretty well justify why we need a 4X4 in our lives.

I have made similar arrangements in the back of my Thar CRDe, side facing seats joined with a temporary mattress and makes it for a comfy bed while traveling. However, as the kids grow up the side facing seats will have to make way for captain seats.

Do elaborate a bit on the on-road performance of the Gurkha not many details available for prospective buyers.

Wish you many more happy miles and all the best with the beauty!!!
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 08:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
I have made similar arrangements in the back of my Thar CRDe, side facing seats joined with a temporary mattress and makes it for a comfy bed while traveling. However, as the kids grow up the side facing seats will have to make way for captain seats.
Could you both share pics, thanks much!
Do you stuff luggage beneath? Just wondering what's the support for the bed.
Old 10th April 2021, 10:26   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Could you both share pics, thanks much!
Do you stuff luggage beneath? Just wondering what's the support for the bed.
Hi, you may refer to post No. 60 on this ownership thread of my Thar

(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...edition-4.html).

I have added a temporary seat between the rear side facing seats. Have welded a L angle on both the legs of the rear side facing seats on which the temporary seat rests. The luggage is stored beneath using Duffle bags, no space for big trolleys anymore hence we travel with more bags so that the same can be accommodated below the seats.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 22:05   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Our Force Gurkha 2.6 ltr 4*4
Thank you for this amazing review. The pictures are amazing and the shutter speed of your camera is marvelous, must be in great hands. This is my first post on Team BHP and I am really grateful to be included.
I own a Force Gurkha Expedition 5 door (2017 model), it is 4 years now since I have been using it. I write this post for not only sharing my experience with the vehicle but also seeking suggestions on certain modifications which I wish to incorporate.
The positives first :
Discussions about the driving position and the commanding view of the road have been much talked about and rightly so. The vehicle has an amazing road presence and if I may say so 'demands respect' to that extent that quite often people have requested a photograph of the vehicle while parked. I was reading other threads as well, where the power of the engine was deliberated upon, I must admit in terms of numbers it looks meagre and on paper (given its size) is a big put off. However, it is infact the opposite, this vehicle never feels underpowered while driving, the pick up is good if not the best and the vehicle pulls really well. I believe in not driving on speeds more than 100kmph on Indian roads and this vehicle feels effortless and it stops extremely well. Despite not being a 4 x 4 it paves its way through terrains where acclaimed SUV's struggle (a choked Hatu Peak terrain on a rainy day is a small example). The gears are a tad bit hard, but after having driven for about half an hour on a highway, you will get used to it and infact start liking it. Regular servicing and treating the vehicle gently over potholes and bad terrain will surely bring the best out of its amazing suspension. I would not complain about the medieval interiors given the price I paid for it and the larger purpose of the vehicle. I would rather say it is more car per rupee (in terms of weight). I shall share pictures of the interiors, got them from a local guy (you have these mechanics, upholsterers etc. who are the best in town) so one of those primarily.

The negatives :
1) No or cramped second row seating, given it was advertised as a family SUV. I had to request the dealership to shift the seats back so as to ensure some space.
2) Rust/pathetic paint job - I write this word with a very heavy heart. It started rusting from the 7th or the 8th month I reckon; the dealership and the manufacturer never helped me with it, had to get some parts repainted by myself earlier this year. It was to the extent that metal from some parts (rear majorly) started to flake and fall off. Similar situation from the chassis and the suspension arms.
3) Squeaky suspension - because it is exposed to the elements and considering that it may used for some off-roading or probably driven in the rains or slushy roads, the bushes need to be changed. I was advised by the engineer to get them cleaned by degreasing them (using diesel) and then applying lubrication. What has that done, is increased the space between the joints which makes more space between the bushes and they squeak more.
4) Spare parts - Very difficult to source, specially the bush etc., you will have to rely upon the dealership and they are not prompt at all. I had to wait for about a month to source a broken link rod, which cracked again and it is now running on a Tata Indigo link rod which has been working well.
5) A steel bumper made of cotton, it gets dented at will. I accidently brushed into a Tata Harrier, my poor bumper now demands pampering and so does the body panel covered by the bumper. I am not sure what is the body made up of given the vehicle is so heavy.
6) Excessive use of cast iron - the turbo charger for instance could have been made of an alloy or probably aluminium, same with the exhaust, not to forget that the catalytic converter too is rusting.
7) Difficult get serviced at a normal mechanic's place (spare parts being a reason). Some parts from the cruiser, some parts from the traveller, soft parts from god knows where and the vehicle is good to go. I dont mean to impute a reliability issue but given the pandemic it may be so that gets difficult to approach the dealership and you have to rely upon the local mechanics.

In the view of the above, I solicit suggestions on the following and will be grateful for any help :

1)A probable replacement vehicle has to be a rear wheel drive diesel engine somewhere around 17-18lacs on road. I am presently in Sonipat allegedly NCR but not quite.

2) What to replace these cotton bumpers with. I prefer the simplistic ones , the ones which you get one Mahindra jeeps, how feasible or strong would they be?

3) Any place from where I can source the bushes, either rubber or PU. A dedicated website or a portal from where parts could be sourced to minimise the reliance on the dealership. I can write a book on their atrocities.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th June 2021 at 15:15. Reason: For better reading experience (especially from smartphones) please do not quote the whole post. Thank you!
Prakhar Chauhan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakhar Chauhan View Post
I own a Force Gurkha Expedition 5 door (2017 model),

In the view of the above, I solicit suggestions on the following and will be grateful for any help :

1)A probable replacement vehicle has to be a rear wheel drive diesel engine somewhere around 17-18lacs on road. I am presently in Sonipat allegedly NCR but not quite.

2) What to replace these cotton bumpers with. I prefer the simplistic ones , the ones which you get one mahindra jeeps, how feasible or strong would they be?

3) Any place from where I can source the bushes, either rubber or PU. A dedicated webiste or a portal from where parts could be sourced to minimise the reliance on the dealership. I can write a book on their atrocities.

Hello Prakhar,

Welcome to Team-bhp, always happy to meet another fellow Gurkha owner.
The 5 Door Expedition 4x4 was our vehicle of choice but unfortunately we could not get one as there were none in stock. Lucky you - that is a gem of a vehicle which can really carry people in comfort and withstand abuse.

Well what can I say, if you have made up your mind to exchange the vehicle, in the price range you have mentioned I can only suggest the Scorpio which would fit somewhere in your requirement.

The bumpers are as defined and required by the CMVR, nothing that manufacturers can do, at least its not fiber/plastic but then again those will regain their shape after minor nicks. There are after market options available for off-road bumpers you can check those out.

For bushes and other spares, I would suggest keep in touch with your local dealer. The parts are ordered from Mhow (near Indore) and take a couple of weeks at the most. Since its a niche vehicle I doubt any spare parts dealers would stock it.
Though my suggestion would be to have it checked by a Tempo Trax/Toofan mechanic and see if the bushings match. Those should be available easily.

All the best!
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 09:08   #52

Thank you for your reply.

It feels bad to even think of parting with this vehicle and I am still not sure, but your opinion instills a lot of faith.
However, in the past one month I have been researching on the soft parts which are required and voila, the results are amazing, perfect replacements if I may say so. So here is what I found:
1) front suspension upper arm bushes are the exact same as the ones in bolero (unfortunately nothing from.trax or too fan fits in, which ideally should have) alongwith sleeves of the relevant size (very easily available).
2) Lower arm bush is the exact same from the upper arm bush of the safari storm.
3) The D-bush a is a slight problem,but the bolero parts do the job.
4) Link rod from any tata sedan or hatchback would do. Safari and Bolero rods are too big.
5) The suspension spring is bigger in circumference and if not available the safaris could help.

Honestly, after this research, I have second doubts on selling it.
Prakhar Chauhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:44   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakhar Chauhan View Post
However, in the past one month I have been researching on the soft parts which are required and voila, the results are amazing, perfect replacements if I may say so. So here is what I found:
1) front suspension upper arm bushes are the exact same as the ones in bolero (unfortunately nothing from.trax or too fan fits in, which ideally should have) alongwith sleeves of the relevant size (very easily available).
2) Lower arm bush is the exact same from the upper arm bush of the safari storm.
3) The D-bush a is a slight problem,but the bolero parts do the job.
4) Link rod from any tata sedan or hatchback would do. Safari and Bolero rods are too big.
5) The suspension spring is bigger in circumference and if not available the safaris could help.

Honestly, after this research, I have second doubts on selling it.
Thank you Prakhar, I am happy that you are reconsidering! And what a find, there are always parts which can work in some manner or the other - bushings definitely.
Though I was counting on Trax / Toofan to be a more apt fit, well... what to say!
Apart from the link rod I guess rest all should work, a sedan or hatchback is much lesser in weight so while the design and fit may look and seem apt, from a tolerance, strength and flexibility point of view it won't last.
That is a crucial part and needs to be from the same weight class at least. But you can place an order with the dealer and should take maybe 2 -3 weeks.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trojan : 11th June 2021 at 11:48.
Old 3rd July 2021, 21:00   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Our Force Gurkha 2.6 ltr 4*4

Suspension & Brakes

- The suspension is a beast and roads, bad roads, no roads anything that you forth will be gulped down hook, line and sinker.
And 120kmph it does and how! Absolutely smooth and literally blew my mind, no need to stop for anything, very comfortable at those speeds and totally in control. [/b].
Is this review based upon HT tyres or the Maxis BH M/T? The pic from what looked like a showroom showed Maxis M/T then you mentioned the stock tyres are Apollo HT. And then in the later after-wash pics of the car being cleaned I thought the treads looked like Yoko Geolanders. I am confused.
Old 5th July 2021, 14:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Is this review based upon HT tyres or the Maxis BH M/T? The pic from what looked like a showroom showed Maxis M/T then you mentioned the stock tyres are Apollo HT. And then in the later after-wash pics of the car being cleaned I thought the treads looked like Yoko Geolanders. I am confused.

Hi Ragul,

No need for confusion, it is all explained in the script - but I know pictures always win

The MT were the display tires which I tried to negotiate but didn't work. I had asked the Dealer to get me AT tires before delivery, but they did nothing about it, so right after delivery I changed the tires to Yokohama ATs. The vehicle has run only on Yokos and continues to do so.

Cheers,
Old 9th July 2021, 10:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you all enjoyed reading as much I enjoyed driving the Gurkha! I will be sharing other aspects, pictures and videos in the subsequent posts.
Thanks a ton for the beautiful review! I read and read and made up my mind. Finally, bought a used Gurkha this week
Teaser image here, will add a review as soon as I am able to give it a bit of a makeover and spend some time with it

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-20210704_120654.jpg

Last edited by karthikd21 : 9th July 2021 at 10:26.
karthikd21 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 11:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
Thanks a ton for the beautiful review! I read and read and made up my mind. Finally, bought a used Gurkha this week
Teaser image here, will add a review as soon as I am able to give it a bit of a makeover and spend some time with it

Attachment 2177025
Oh my

Thank you so much Karthikd21, this really made my day!

You are going to have a lot of fun - I can assure you of that! Enjoy and do share pics and would absolutely love to hear the story of how you found and brought her home!

Last edited by Trojan : 9th July 2021 at 11:08.
Old 27th July 2021, 15:23   #58
BHPian

Re: Update at 22222 KMs

July 2021

Ownership Report
Kms : 22222
Months of Ownership : 13
States Traveled : Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Telangana, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh & Uttarakhand
Mods : Rooftop LED Light Bar added and Changed ORVMs to the new Tempo Traveler ones
Service Experience : Poor
Support from Company : Excellent
Vehicle Performance : Stupendous

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-4-cover-pic.jpeg

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-1-odo-.jpeg

With every passing day as we encounter different terrains and challenging crossings, we always look back and wonder what a lucky break we got by opting for this vehicle - the proverbial underdog turned out to be our Sea Biscuit munching away miles, sometimes in good health sometimes in poor health, but no complains and always in comfort.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-3-mountains.jpeg

The last few months have had us traveling along the length and breadth of our country - a couple of times to escape into the wild away from the city just before it entered the second lockdown.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-11-vagator.jpeg

What started as a casual 1 week break to our Goa home in March has turned into an adventure marathon which is still ongoing. You can read about that in more detail over here (Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve).

Long story short, we had to exit Goa to come to our camp in Panna, Madhya Pradesh, before Goa went under lockdown and I had to chalk a route which would bypass Maharashtra. After a lot of deliberation and planning finally the route was set.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-2-packing.jpeg

Day 1: Goa - Hyderabad 700+ kms
Day 2: Hyderabad - Panna 1100 kms

Enroute having lunch at Dandeli

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-10-dandeli.jpeg

This meant some real long hours driving and avoiding stops at all costs as the 2nd wave had hit home and we could not take any chances. After getting our tests done, we set off from our home in Goa to an absolutely unknown adventure.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-12-rajmachi.jpeg

We left Goa at 7am and reached Hyderabad at 1230am, roads in Karnataka were a mess as there is no straight route through KA to enter TS.
Total drive for the day was 900kms and 17.5hrs

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-8-ghats.jpeg

The next day, we left at 1130am due to the delay from the previous night but this day it would be 4 lane highways until Jabalpur and with 1100kms to cover, I was really counting on it. Well we were not disappointed at all and made blazing progress (110-120). The lockdown was really bearing down and there were hardly any restaurants open, our lunch was a few slices of Bread and homemade Prawn Pickle, crossed into Maharashtra near Tipeshwar, the cops were helpful and after a short chat with them, we moved on to cross Nagpur and enter Madhya Pradesh. This is again something which always happens with us, the vehicle gets a grand entry and is a great conversation starter be it any border.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-7-sunset.jpeg

Long story short - we reached our camp at 145am, a non-stop drive of 1100kms in under 15hrs.

2 days and 2000kms later we had finally reached our camp, the 15hr drive for 1100kms is my fastest drive till date - never crossing 120kmph and always safety on mind. The fact remains that it was comfortable enough for us to push forward - both for me and for the family.
Travels like these continue to strengthen our faith in the vehicle, it is a very integral part of our lives due to the nature of our travels and that we are able to do so in comfort doubles the feeling incredibly.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-6-family.jpeg

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-13-rajmachi-2.jpeg

Apart from this we have just concluded our visit to Uttarakhand and added another 3000kms of high mountain driving and plenty of off-roading too.

And of course the most interesting bit - no issues at all, the vehicle works and drives like a charm.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-9-rivers.jpeg

Now that the good part is over - lets deal with the part which makes me sad - Service experience.
For such an extraordinary vehicle - the service from the Dealer is appalling.

As mentioned in my first post, the company really needs to work on getting their errant dealers on track. They need to really understand the difference between selling a commercial vehicle vs selling a premium lifestyle vehicle.
The dealers need to put in that effort in just doing the things, nothing out of the extraordinary, the amount of effort put in by the Force officials is extraordinary and not something I have witnessed by any other Auto manufacturer, I think this is the reason we have a vehicle like a Gurkha being sold in spite of the poor Sales and the usual negative response from people in general.

Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up-5-gurkha.jpeg

I will leave you now with a video which gives a glimpse into the terrain we cross almost on a daily basis, the chief reason for having chosen the Gurkha! The terrain changes almost daily and yet the Gurkha just glides over the obstacles with ease and leaves us in wonder every time.

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   (83) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 09:46   #59
BHPian

Brilliant car that wont do well given the way Force treats it. I have heard and read about how comfortable it is vs the Thar. Congrats and miles of smiles to you and your family

Coming to the mods; aren't the rear view mirrors too ? Looking at the pictures I think they create a substantial blind zone.
adi_sun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 13:41   #60
AZT
BHPian

Re: Update at 22222 KMs

Quote:
I will leave you now with a video which gives a glimpse into the terrain we cross almost on a daily basis, the chief reason for having chosen the Gurkha! The terrain changes almost daily and yet the Gurkha just glides over the obstacles with ease and leaves us in wonder every time.

https://Youtu.be/My4qwkJtQNI
Good video. I checked out your channel and website and the Tiger reserve camping looks great. Will definitely give it a shot once things normalize.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed