Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:50   #16
BHPian

re: Life with a Force Gurkha 2.6L 4x4 | EDIT: 40,000 km up

Let us just imagine what this car can do with all the safety features, a 400nm VGT engine, front facing seats and decent interiors! With proper pricing and ASS, this car can sell in numbers that can put Scorpios/ Innovas to shame. A case of missed opportunities, Force.

Force is so engrossed on the commercial market, it is losing a golden share on the passenger counterpart.
RoadAtlas is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:03   #17
BHPian

I am not looking at the grab handles but looking at the leopard so close !!

I am not sure about Force Gurkha but I am sure to visit your Bear Valley Camp and Panna. Nice updates on Force Gurkha as well.
drive.click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:19   #18
BHPian

Very practical review. I loved it. The car and its environment is something that I can keep watching it repeatedly.

Can you share the cost breakup if possible?

Can you share some internal pictures and the hack you mentioned about converting your rear seats to a makeshift bed?

Would the OM11 611 BS 6 version come with 140 horses?

Enjoy your ride and the environment.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:37   #19
BHPian

Hi Sal,

Superb review and write up on the Gurkha. Please post the OTR pricing if you don't mind. Looking forward to some pics of the interior, dashboard and engine bay. It looks even smaller in length than a Gypsy. I was wondering how you managed two kids and baggage in the back.
Looking forward even more to a test drive when we next meet in Goa!!
Loved the sea shore picture

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:44   #20
BHPian

This has really blown me away. I admire the Gurkha but was not aware of the driving dynamics to be so good.

I take a second look of the Gurkha whenever I see someone drives past even though I am comfortable in my own XUV 500 top end. Such is the attention Gurkha gets. I would love to own one someday. May be Gurkha or the new Thar.

Congrats for the beast.

Cheers !
Drive Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:57   #21
BHPian

Loved reading your experience. Great choice of vehicle and you are indeed putting it to good use too. Eagerly waiting for more off-road excursions and overlanding fun.
Had driven the Gurkha a while ago and liked everything about it.

Last edited by megazoid : 3rd November 2020 at 12:59.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:40   #22
BHPian

Great review of a rare vehicle Trojan!

I literally lived through the write up. The attention span these days is minimal due to WFH, but this really got me hooked. It is one of those vehicles that is not everyone's cup of tea. Those who take the leap and eventually get the Gurkha, certainly know its potential.

Awesome photos btw, especially the water wading and the ones with kids on the roof!
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:08   #23
BHPian

This was an interesting read.
Have hardly read anywhere about this vehicle apart from some off-road videos.
I hope some potential customers will at least take a test drive after reading your review.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:17   #24
BHPian

Awesome ride that you have there. Are you planning anymore mods on the car? I would suggest some larger wheels like the one on display whose photos you shared. The stock steel rims are good but look tiny on a vehicle of this size.

Regards
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

A fantastic read this thread. Rated it well deserved 5 stars. I like the Gurkha for what it is. I always found it to be a mechanically superior machine compared to the 1st Gen THAR. It looked nice on the street too & easily blended on those jungle trails. The Gurkha towers over anything else on the street like few other cars can.

They really should have spent 1-2 hours on the interiors. I cannot believe a 21st century auto company actually lets a car get out of the factory with these interiors. I had contemplated on getting a 4+1 door Gurkha 4x4x4 in the past with front facing middle row. But the cabin quality, layout & materials just didn't let me go ahead. I have little expectations on electronic features & like "pure" vehicles. But the product should be finished properly. In case of the Gurkha - it made the cabin of the 1st Gen Willy's Jeep seem luxurious. I hope Force wakes up to know there is a good demand for a properly finished product with the Gurkha's true mechanical credentials. A better sales-service attitude & some hours in redesigning the cabin can turn around this splendid vehicle.

Thanks for sharing the experience. Loved the photos. Wish you many happy & safe miles on & off the road with the fierce ultimate worrier - GURKHA.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd November 2020 at 17:36.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 22:10   #26
BHPian

If this write-up were to be posted outside of TBHP, I would have considered it to be a paid promotion, but in here, this is real experience and I would not be surprised to see more people put more thought into buying the Gurkha.

The lack of features probably has to do with the ease of service in non urban settings. Quite similar to how Tata/Leland trucks are built for local maintenance.

One question - how is the seat belt setup for rear passengers (side seats) ?
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 03:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I felt like this was one of the most honest ownership reviews.

Very well written and supported with brilliant pictures. Posting a picture with a cheetah and then casually talking about the grab handle and let the readers spot the animal by surprise. Are you associated with the creative industry by any means?

I guess the key takeaway from the review is that when the following are followed, then there's a higher level of satisfaction.
1. Clarity on one's own requirements.
2. Open-mind to objectively evaluate options.
3. Have reasonable and realistic expectations from the vehicle.
4. Patience to handle surprises/shocks.

I remember the other Gurkha review and that was also very good.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (Extreme xtreme! Force Gurkha Xtreme 4x4 ownership review)
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 05:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Awesome write up. I absolutely love the Gurkha, even more so than the brand new Thar. Its an honest to goodness vehicle that does what it says on the box and isnt a nut by nut, panel by panel copy of another international product. The off-road hardware out of the factory is pretty competent too with diff locks and what not. I hope they add airbags and ABS to it and it will be near perfect for its intended purpose.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 08:59   #29
BHPian

Dear Trojan, Thanks for sharing your ownership review for the Gurkha. Very well compiled and the Pics very just amazing.
To be honest, I completely agree with you here that there are not many reviews for the Gurkha here in TBhp and also in general due to the low interest from car lovers. You have gone to show how capable the car is.

Now till last year, Thar and Gurkha were competing in the same segment which was already niche but the dynamics have changed today with the new Thar launch.

Even new Gurkha is on the way with BS6 updates.

However from what I have seen from the Autoshow when the new Gurkha was previewed that the new model still carries over quite a lot of utilitarian features from the old one. Still barebone and devoid of creature comforts. Not sure of AT availability.

Is that enough to compete today with the new Thar ?
What are your views ?
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:05   #30
BHPian

In the midst of THAR buzz, this is some fresh air. Great review dear!

Never knew that a GHURKHA was this good. The 2.6 engine is mentioned everywhere for being underpowered below 90ps. But here I am glad to read about the dynamics and highway performance of the GHURKHA.

And the photos are actually excellent. I am begging for more please!!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed