Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 11:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Creta 1.5L Petrol SX IVT Review

Congratulations on your purchase. Looks may be good or bad, but Creta stands out. Its unlike anything out there. Coming to quality of plastics, I agree. If you keep aside the likes of old Thar/Gurkha, if its not soft touch, its all same barring color and texture!
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:34   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Creta! I read your review while it was still in the Assembly Line and I must say, you have a unique + enjoyable writing style. Loved the read. Wishing you many happy years & minimum 150,000 km of motoring pleasure with your Creta.

I love the way the new Creta drives, but am just unable to digest its styling.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:53   #18

Congratulations on your new car! I hope you enjoy it thoroughly in the years to come. I had shortlisted the Creta SX IVT, but I found the price to be too steep. It should ideally be priced around Rs. 13.75 lakhs ex-showroom, especially since the Verna SX IVT costs Rs. 12 lakhs ex-showroom. I know the cars belong to different segments and have a few feature differences, but I really cannot see any reason for a premium greater than that. Also, I really liked your crisp and candid style!
akumaraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 13:59   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on your Super cool blue Creta!
What a write-up this was! It is so well articulated, honest, raw and witty that I am going to read it for the second time!
Coincidently, even we brought home a Verna SX iVT (Veronica) in a darker blue shade (starry night) just 9 days before the delivery of your big boy and hence, I can relate with almost 90% of your experience.
Having owned Marutis from a decade now(1st gen Multijet Dzire for 7 years and 3rd gen K12 Dzire AMT for 3 years), cabin quietness and overall quality was a HUGE upgrade for us! During my dealer visits, I noticed that the finish of the plastic (especially the dashboard) was slightly better on the Verna than the more expensive Creta somehow.
Lastly, I must say that I haven't seen such an honest owner like you who appreciates the good points but also highlights the weak ones with the same level of emphasis

Wishing you lacs of happy and trouble free miles with the smooth Korean Hunk! And hope that you (and I) never have to deal with Hyundai's excellent customer service
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Ha! Finally one Creta owner who feels what I felt about those ultra hard plastics which actually felt cheap and budget grade.
Congratulations on the purchase! I sincerely wish you don't get to experience any of the Hyundai issues that are being reported in our forum by the existing users.
Glad I am not the only one with that view point towards Hyundai plastics. I had started doubting my own sensory organs, given the amount of praise Hyundai gets for quality plastics. Thanks for your wishes. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Congratulations on your new Creta SX IVT and welcome to the Creta-2020 league.
By the way, why do you have so much angst about the braking failures ? It isnt the case that every second Hyundai sold (or a Kia for that matter), is suspect in terms of its braking.
Thank you. Brake failures bother me because of two reasons. First, it is the most essential safety feature in a car. It does not have to fail every time in every car. It just needs to fail once in one car to destroy a family (or many families). Second, because Hyundai group refuses to acknowledge or rectify the issue. In US and Europe, Hyundai takes every complaint very seriously and takes steps to address them. Why shouldn't they do that in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Looks may be good or bad, but Creta stands out. Its unlike anything out there. Coming to quality of plastics, I agree. If you keep aside the likes of old Thar/Gurkha, if its not soft touch, its all same barring color and texture!
Thanks PrideRed. Glad you share my opinion on plastics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the Creta! I read your review while it was still in the Assembly Line and I must say, you have a unique + enjoyable writing style. Loved the read. Wishing you many happy years & minimum 150,000 km of motoring pleasure with your Creta.

I love the way the new Creta drives, but am just unable to digest its styling.
Thanks GTO for your wishes and appreciation. I intend to keep this car for next 10 year. I will not abandon it, unless it decides to abandon me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaraa View Post
Congratulations on your new car! I hope you enjoy it thoroughly in the years to come. I had shortlisted the Creta SX IVT, but I found the price to be too steep. It should ideally be priced around Rs. 13.75 lakhs ex-showroom, especially since the Verna SX IVT costs Rs. 12 lakhs ex-showroom. I know the cars belong to different segments and have a few feature differences, but I really cannot see any reason for a premium greater than that. Also, I really liked your crisp and candid style!
Thank akumaraa. I agree with you completely that it should not cost more than 13.75 lakhs ex-showroom (I would think 13 lakhs ex-showroom would be the right price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Congratulations on your Super cool blue Creta!
What a write-up this was! It is so well articulated, honest, raw and witty that I am going to read it for the second time!
Coincidently, even we brought home a Verna SX iVT (Veronica) in a darker blue shade (starry night) just 9 days before the delivery of your big boy and hence, I can relate with almost 90% of your experience.
Having owned Marutis from a decade now(1st gen Multijet Dzire for 7 years and 3rd gen K12 Dzire AMT for 3 years), cabin quietness and overall quality was a HUGE upgrade for us! During my dealer visits, I noticed that the finish of the plastic (especially the dashboard) was slightly better on the Verna than the more expensive Creta somehow.
Lastly, I must say that I haven't seen such an honest owner like you who appreciates the good points but also highlights the weak ones with the same level of emphasis

Wishing you lacs of happy and trouble free miles with the smooth Korean Hunk! And hope that you (and I) never have to deal with Hyundai's excellent customer service
Thank you for your wishes and appreciation Nazaar. Wish you many happy miles with your new ride as well.
ashlil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 15:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Congratulations on your new Creta SX IVT and welcome to the Creta-2020 league.
By the way, why do you have so much angst about the braking failures ? It isnt the case that every second Hyundai sold (or a Kia for that matter), is suspect in terms of its braking. I would never hesitate to recommend a Kia Seltos to anyone if they like the car in terms of design/features. As long as the potential owner is mindful that occasional issues have been reported in certain variants.
Exactly and I know the mods here don't support contentious posts but I must say that this post was very racist in tone. Constant references to "Brown hating Koreans" was in very poor taste.

Also don't understand why a handful of cases of unproven provenance of a base of some 100,000 cars sold is enough to tarnish a brand (2 brands if you include Hyundai) permanently.

I do own a Kia, owned a Verna before this, a Santro before the Verna, my family (wife and dad) have at various times owned an Eon and Nios as well and in the combined 3,00,000 KM's we must have done, brakes have not failed ONCE. Service has been brilliant as well.

For some reason many forum patrons hate the Hyundai / Kia twins.

Edit - Look up "Brake failure+any OEM of choice" and you will find pages and pages of it.

For instance just for Maruti alone TBHP itself has many such cases, they even had to issue a recall of 50K cars iirc in 2018 on brake related issues.

Now I don't condone any such failure be it 1 or 100,000 but somehow the Korean Twins are no deemed as brakeless wonders eternally.

Finally, if carmakers don't take these more seriously but do so in Europe or the USA, it is a function of our lemon laws or lack of them thereof, to attribute this to racism is like I said very tasteless.

Last edited by Stribog : 5th November 2020 at 15:51.
Stribog is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 16:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Exactly and I know the mods here don't support contentious posts but I must say that this post was very racist in tone. Constant references to "Brown hating Koreans" was in very poor taste.

Also don't understand why a handful of cases of unproven provenance of a base of some 100,000 cars sold is enough to tarnish a brand (2 brands if you include Hyundai) permanently.

---------

For some reason many forum patrons hate the Hyundai / Kia twins.

-----------

Finally, if carmakers don't take these more seriously but do so in Europe or the USA, it is a function of our lemon laws or lack of them thereof, to attribute this to racism is like I said very tasteless.
Thank you Stribog for your opinion, however contrary it might be to mine. The problem with taste is that it is very subjective. For example, to me, alleging forum patrons hate Hyundai/Kia twins is in poor taste. Also ascribing manufacturer's indifference towards customers to lemon law or lack thereof seems pretty tasteless to me. But, I would not wish you to go by my taste. People can read my review and disagree or agree. I will welcome both reaction.
ashlil is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Note on NVH:

Because most car manufacturers in India are not paying attention to NVH and general refinement, people with these things on the top of their list are having to pay through their nose in addition to facing Hyundai’s contempt.
Absolutely agree with you, I guess with every new car purchase, this is NVH is becoming a lesser concern for us car buyers, and the industry is probably taking advantage of this.
They are making cars lighter, with thinner glass, lower quality beadings.

The first thing that we noticed when we switched from our Old Fist Gen Figo to our new Polo was the noise levels. There was more noise getting in, in the new car, more road noise, more honks were filtering in. Music didn't sound all that great. And yes, we were switching from a diesel to a petrol as well.

This is a Nice point that all of us should be mindful of. Maybe, there should be a section about NVH in all the team-bhp reviews
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:35   #24
BHPian

Congratulations Ashlil on your new Creta. Loved your style of writing. You're really very honest in bringing out the shortcomings of your new prized possession. Wish you a great journey with your lovely Blue partner.
Breathe2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Why Creta?
Consider the following. The GTX+ DCT of Sonnet costs 10.148 lakhs ex-factory while the Creta SX IVT costs 10.135 lakhs ex-factory. Bye bye Sonnet. (On a side note, the brands that are known to be cheap internationally are taking us Indians for a ride. Examples: Kia, Toyota, Skoda, Honda).
Congratulations on your new car!
I am also considering the Creta seriously for a purchase soon.

As far as this point goes, doesn't this pricing of the Sonet make sense?
The combo of the turbo petrol engine with the DCT transmission is definitely more expensive than the combo of the NA engine with the IVT transmission. The top spec Sonet has a better feature set too. A slightly bigger chassis in the Creta offsets that cost, so you get similar prices for both these variants of the two cars.

What disappoints me more is the way the Indian taxes are structured, why should one be paying more taxes for a car that is essentially just longer, when you think about it, the Creta/Seltos is essentially just a stretched version of the Venue/Sonet.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:04   #26

Congratulations Ashlil for your new acquisition. Really loved the way you mixed humor in your review - must admire your way of writing it. You really have a style element in there

I believe Hyundai is gradually raising the bar on performance w.r.t German cars. VW has excellent set of cars but lags behind in features. Hyundai tries to make it up with features and hence we see a bit of conflict on pricing.

One good thing about all the new cars is that they consistently challenge the existing norms - whether its in Design (Exterior,Interior), Performance, Ride & Handling, Safety, etc. This is indeed a welcome change.
sudhirbharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:37   #27
BHPian

Quite a well written and humorous review. Looks like the Creta is like democracy, the worst SUV out there except for all the others.
When o when will the MNC auto companies start treating Indian customers with the same respect that they give to other markets? We desperately need more options with AWD, ESP/Traction control and decent power that don’t break the bank.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 01:00   #28
BHPian

Concise and unbiased review there, always love to see that from owners, who are most of the time hesitant to point out the flaws.
I must say, even though the plastics of my Venue are better than my previous car Honda City, they're still hard ones and the cars are overpriced.
I wanted to ask about the mats, how are they in terms of quality as I was looking to buy for my car.
aarnav_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 01:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

ashlil,
Thank you for this great review. Wish you a joyful ownership experience. Your Creta looks fabulous in the Blue color. Reminds me of the Getz we had in the similar shade. It was so unique throughout it's life - rare colour of a rare car.

I do agree this high-handedness from Hyundai dealers over the past few years has definitely been alarming. What has been sad is the lack of resolution from Hyundai. If I were you, I'd change the CVT fluid regularly and find a good FNG after the warranty period.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 6th November 2020 at 01:25.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
This is a Nice point that all of us should be mindful of. Maybe, there should be a section about NVH in all the team-bhp reviews
Thanks vinya_jag. The recent team-bhp reviews have been mentioning NVH specifically in the driving section, which is quite useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe2drive View Post
Congratulations Ashlil on your new Creta. Loved your style of writing. You're really very honest in bringing out the shortcomings of your new prized possession. Wish you a great journey with your lovely Blue partner.
Thank you very much for your wishes and appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post
Congratulations on your new car!
I am also considering the Creta seriously for a purchase soon.

As far as this point goes, doesn't this pricing of the Sonet make sense?
The combo of the turbo petrol engine with the DCT transmission is definitely more expensive than the combo of the NA engine with the IVT transmission. The top spec Sonet has a better feature set too. A slightly bigger chassis in the Creta offsets that cost, so you get similar prices for both these variants of the two cars.

What disappoints me more is the way the Indian taxes are structured, why should one be paying more taxes for a car that is essentially just longer, when you think about it, the Creta/Seltos is essentially just a stretched version of the Venue/Sonet.
Thank you for your wishes. As far as Sonet pricing is concerned, if you look at feature list visa-vis Creta, you might be able to justify the the price. But, take a look at the new i20. Same turbo engine, same DCT gearbox, almost same feature list and 1.8 lakhs cheaper (Ex-showroom) than Sonet. So, does the price of Sonet look justified now? And tax structure is another matter altogether. As customers, we are being squeezed by corporates and as citizens, we are being squeezed by the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbharadwaj View Post
Congratulations Ashlil for your new acquisition. Really loved the way you mixed humor in your review - must admire your way of writing it. You really have a style element in there

I believe Hyundai is gradually raising the bar on performance w.r.t German cars. VW has excellent set of cars but lags behind in features. Hyundai tries to make it up with features and hence we see a bit of conflict on pricing.
Thanks for your wishes and appreciation. Yes, I think Hyundai is paying more and more attention to refinement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Quite a well written and humorous review. Looks like the Creta is like democracy, the worst SUV out there except for all the others.
When o when will the MNC auto companies start treating Indian customers with the same respect that they give to other markets? We desperately need more options with AWD, ESP/Traction control and decent power that don’t break the bank.
Thank you. Actually, Ford can easily to do it. Just stretch out the Ecocsport a bit. The 1.5 dragon and the 6AT are more than sufficient for a car of Creta size. And you will not see much price appreciation either, since Ecosport already falls in the 48% tax bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Concise and unbiased review there, always love to see that from owners, who are most of the time hesitant to point out the flaws.
I must say, even though the plastics of my Venue are better than my previous car Honda City, they're still hard ones and the cars are overpriced.
I wanted to ask about the mats, how are they in terms of quality as I was looking to buy for my car.
Thank you aarnav_b. The mats are pretty good. You can go for Zapcart or Autozing. I think all of them are same mats sold under different brand names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
ashlil,
Thank you for this great review. Wish you a joyful ownership experience. Your Creta looks fabulous in the Blue color. Reminds me of the Getz we had in the similar shade. It was so unique throughout it's life - rare colour of a rare car.

I do agree this high-handedness from Hyundai dealers over the past few years has definitely been alarming. What has been sad is the lack of resolution from Hyundai. If I were you, I'd change the CVT fluid regularly and find a good FNG after the warranty period.
Thank you very much for your wishes. I plan to take good care of the car so that I will not have to endure visits to Hyundai service more than the bare minimum.

Last edited by ashlil : 6th November 2020 at 10:08.
ashlil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks