Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 19:23   #1
BHPian

Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review

Thanks to Bhpian Happysmiles, he and I were able to go for the Audi Q2 unveiling event. They offered us a longish test drive and I thought it may be interesting to write about it and share with you all.

I tried to search an ownership / official review. But couldn't find it. Hence thought I'll pen my thoughts on the Q2. There is a thread about the Q2 here >
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...er-2020-a.html (Rumour: Audi Q2 India launch in September 2020)

2. Lovely sharp styling
  3. Excellent ergonomics
  4. 4 wheel drive quattro in all variants
  5. Cozy interiors - all 3 cars which we saw were with black interiors. Don't know if there is a beige option
  6. Refined drivability

Dislikes
  1. The car is priced two times of what it should have been - the Q2 thread I posted is full of everyone getting annoyed at the pricing
  2. Suspension which feels that I am riding my Aprilia SR150
  3. The car does a poor job of isolating the NVH. Outside noise is heard and the horn is unbelievably loud inside. Audi have gone overboard in stripping this car off sound insulations and dampeners to meet some sort of specification
  4. Rear seats are too upright and have very less space
  5. Older generation styling. Everything reminds you of the 2017-18 Q3 etc.

Full disclaimer:
1. On a personal note - I am utterly spoiled by the GLC that we have so it was difficult to find the Q2 very impressive. My likes should be treated as real praise and dislikes may not be as bad as I make it sound.
2. We have no affiliation with Audi / VW other than owning a couple of cars. We registered for the unveiling event and this is an experience which I am putting together.
3. I am going to look at this car as a 25-30 lac car and not a 50 lac car.

Unveiling

The head of the dealership, Mr. Paresh Deshmane welcomed us for the launch. We were offered juice, coffee and refreshments.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-dealership-head-speak.jpg

Happysmiles and our ride group buddy Vinay unveiling the car. Its a pretty car. The display cars were premium plus 1 spec and the test drive car (red color) was the top spec (technology IIRC)

Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-blue-q2-unveiling-2.jpg

The other silver car.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-silver-q2-1.jpg

Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-silver-q2-2.jpg

Interiors

You are welcomed with this view. New car smell is lovely, typical VAG. Everything is well put together and has good tactile feedback.

Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-front-seats-right-view.jpg

Driver's seat area
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-drivers-seat-view.jpg

Closer look at the steering wheel. This is the top spec test drive car.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-steering-wheel.jpg

Center console. In general, this is a very driver centric car. I can't see how anyone would get this as a chauffeur driven car. All the controls are oriented towards the driver seat.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-center-console.jpg

A close look at the gear shifter.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-gear-shifter.jpg

Armrest, with what I think is a wireless charging pad. Cool.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-armrest.jpg

Front seats, passenger side view
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-front-seats-left-view.jpg

Passenger dashboard, you are treated to the quattro badging. All variants come with the quattro.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-passenger-side-dashboard.jpg

Rear seats are cramped and upright. Black interiors make things look smaller and it gets hotter faster (thanks to the sunroof)
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-rear-seats-left-view.jpg

Slightly complex AC vents - if they break, its a pain to fix them.
The outer ring opens or closes the vent. It's not so intuitive.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-ac-vent-closed.jpg

Open.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-ac-vent-open.jpg

Engine
All Q2s come with the 2.0 turbo petrol engine. No diesels from Audi. That sucks. It makes decent power though.

Its kinda refreshing to see a slightly un-cramped engine bay. Diesel engines are fitted much more tightly.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-engine-bay-1.jpg

NVH and build quality
I am going to say that this might be the 2nd weakest chink in the Q2 armor. I am told the car is a CBU. Even in that, it feels slightly hollow and I did not feel cocooned in the car.

Less sound insulation / damping under the hood. Plus side is that you can hear the sweet TFSI engine rasping on quite a few occasions.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-bonnet-underside.jpg

Same is the case of the pedals. Most of the wiring etc is exposed.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-pedals.jpg

Rear wheel well also is missing damping and cladding material which again is important for damping.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-rear-wheel-well.jpg

Car comes with 17 inch wheels. Ride is firm on these and you do feel a lot of road surface from the seat.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-rear-wheel.jpg

Rear door trim
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-rear-left-door-trim.jpg

We loved how this mirror curls up and folds itself in
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-mirror-folded.jpg

Rear boot
Space is decent at the back. Nothing to complain, but nothing to feel wowed by it.

Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-rear-boot-open.jpg

Under the boot, you have a spare tire. There is a sub-woofer connected on the spare wheel cover. Its a risky area if you are expecting customers to unplug this every time the spare wheel is used.
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-under-boot-space-spare-wheel.jpg

This T.125/70 R19 is almost the same size as my BMW R1200GS front wheel - 120/70 R19
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-spare-wheel-size.jpg

Drivability
There are various ride modes which you can select which briefly are - eco, comfort, auto, sport, extra sporty (I forgot Audi's names) but they are to this effect. I loved the Auto mode. Its perfect for city and highway combined driving.
The engine is responsive and gets aggressive when you get into sportier modes. It will be a hoot to drive on the open roads and in the twisties. However, the car is clearly not at home on horrid Pune roads and we felt most bumps and rough surfaces.
I did not get to try the quattro extensively.

In conclusion
As most people already know, this will be a hard sell for the prices that have been declared. Audi would do well with the car if they reduced the prices. It is not the brand which it used to be in India any more and if they want customers to be associated long term - to catch them early, the pricing has to be right for what is being offered in the vehicle.

Last edited by nitrogary : 13th November 2020 at 19:26.
nitrogary is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 11:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review

At the price at which Audi is trying to sell the car people can get an A6 after discounts! Space wise a T-Roc makes much more sense at half the price and the Karoq offers much more. Other than the Audi badge and the brilliant 2L TSI I see no body buying this car. I would be surprised if even after 10L discounts on the Q2 will it be able to sell?
CEF_Beasts is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:17   #3
BHPian

Honestly, this would make those thought the new i20 was pricey (which it is) - have no qualms in swiping their card for it now. I understand that a marquee badge commands a premium - but to this extent?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2021 at 16:11. Reason: Corrected typo.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:27   #4
BHPian

I have never seen a local team work so diligently, so tirelessly, and so unabashedly, towards the complete and total destruction of an international car company’s national standing. Take a bow, Audi India. Hats off.
reihem is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Way too overpriced for what it offers. Makes even the VRS look VFM at ₹45L. Don’t like the old-gen interior that Audi has given with the Q2. Like the looks, but that’s where it ends, it’s just too less for too much right now.
akash_v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 14:27   #6
BHPian

So, Audi India's suicide mission continues. While Its primary competitors BMW and Merc are not only trying to fill every possible segment gap, but are also providing more than one model for given price points! And Audi has No Diesel, next model after the Q2 is the A6, and their bread and butter Q3 and A4 are not to be seen!
This Audi cannot compete with lower valued T Roc / Karoq from its own family, leave apart beating models from competition. Wish they revive soon!
Zinda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 16:24   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2020 at 12:09.
eyeman is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th November 2020, 18:19   #8
BHPian

I think the best way for Audi India to sell this is as a bundle with the A8L .

This way they wouldn't have to give around 30-35 lacs discount on the A8L and the buyers as well will see more value for their money because they will get a car worth more than the discount at least on paper.

Last edited by sv97 : 14th November 2020 at 18:21.
sv97 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 20:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I would be surprised if even after 10L discounts on the Q2 will it be able to sell?
They should price it 20-30 lacs on road. People will like it. All the cars you mentioned are very well worthy of consideration and there are several more suitable options in that segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I understand that a marquee batch commands a premium - but to this extent?
I know right
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Take a bow, Audi India. Hats off.
So true na, where were they just 4 years ago and where are they now? I am such a big fan of Audi, it hurts a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Way too overpriced for what it offers. Makes even the VRS look VFM at ₹45L.

I completely agree. Actually, its a 2 litre turbo petrol too and with 4WD quattro, it could be a competitive vehicle. I haven't driven the VRS, but I have a 2014 1.4 TSI Octavia which feels almost the same - chassis and suspension wise it was a weird deja vu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Wish they revive soon!
Absolutely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeman View Post
People won't be queing upto buy this car that is for sure.
Yes, agreed. Even if its a good product, I am really unable to unsee the price tag and judge it independently as a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I think the best way for Audi India to sell this is as a bundle with the A8L .
This way they wouldn't have to give around 30-35 lacs discount on the A8L and the buyers as well will see more value for their money because they will get a car worth more than the discount at least on paper.
Haha, they may not be able to sell the A8 either then!

I am not surprised that everyone spoke about the pricing itself. That is such a downer, this is an Audi that we are talking about! An Audi! Come on

Last edited by nitrogary : 14th November 2020 at 20:06. Reason: spacing
nitrogary is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 07:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
I am not surprised that everyone spoke about the pricing itself. That is such a downer, this is an Audi that we are talking about! An Audi! Come on
Gone are the days my friend, the German domination of "luxury" is not even a quarter of what it used to be thanks to advanced features and good interiors available with brands at even a quarter of their prices, much more at half prices.

Coincidentally, I drove the Q2 yesterday as well, at first glance it looked huge, almost like a proper SUV.. I thought ok, this could work and the styling looked really nice, like a throwback to the 2010 Audi Q5 so it does look acceptably interesting if not a bit formal. The second I sat in the car, I knew that it fit the segment, very little interior room, horribly cramped rear space and dull interiors, of course I like Audi the best of the 3 brands so this isn't criticism but reality. The fit and finish and material usage was great as usual and I know the interiors wont rattle even after years like they do in some BMWs and almost all Mercs, the layout is a bit bland though and the steering design felt too plain with no contrasts.

The drive testing was easy, bad roads with stones lying asunder just behind the dealership and so I went - typical German stone hard, zero absorption, zero spring or hydraulic action suspension, a punishment for your backside, plus like you wrote, it didn't seem to be capable of such punishment or maybe we perceive so because it simply throws in all the road undulations into the cabin with noise as well, all in all, at full price (yes, unfortunately I too, have to say it just because I had a chance to get a Q3 at 25% lesser price just 2 years ago), one would've to have unused chunks of cash lying around and just looking for ways to spend, if one has to get the Q2.

I'd say the best time to buy it would be a year from now when it'll undergo a Cappuccino edition and come with a 7 figure discount.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:11   #11
BHPian

I have no interest in these German machines and neither do I think they have any place on Indian roads other than the snob value. We have several of these in the extended family and there are only horror tales associated with after sales and parts.

The reason I thought of posting was this: on a casual drive through Pune City you can see a ton of used German sedans, SUVs for sale at the established used car dealers. The covid misery has resulted in a substantial increase in the number of cars that have been put on sale. I cannot for the life of me figure out who Audi thinks is going to buy this over a used higher segment German machine at the price they're quoting. Or even over an Endeavour for that matter.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:15   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review

Love the likes & dislikes at the start of your post. You have summed up the Q2 perfectly . This thread was on our homepage the entire weekend.

Carwale shows this as the on-road pricing. Has Audi gone MAD?. Priced to sink like the Titanic & perhaps the only new launch which will need discounts to sell from day 1. Give me the Kodiaq / Karoq / T-Roc over this miniature any which day:
Driven - Audi Q2! Unveiling & Review-screenshot-20201116-121004.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I have never seen a local team work so diligently, so tirelessly, and so unabashedly, towards the complete and total destruction of an international car company’s national standing.
Truly. They have destroyed Audi India. According to FADA data, Audi sold all of SIX cars last month . I know luxury used car dealers that move more premium metal:
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 17:13   #13
BHPian

Was really really surprised to see this thread on the homepage! Audi's strategy to launch a car to be ridiculed unlike any other has paid off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'd say the best time to buy it would be a year from now when it'll undergo a Cappuccino edition and come with a 7 figure discount.
Until then, the Q2 will remain one of the rarest and most exclusive premium SUV on Indian roads!
clementj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 19:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Audi's biggest mistake was to take off the Q5 and A4 - never mind the lack of a diesel. Those were the bread and butter! All that Audi are selling is jam - sweet but messy and bought in small quantities.

The Q8 is actually very underwhelming in the metal. Like a bigger Creta as the Q7 now with the AllSpace engine looks like a bigger Hector! The A6 is worth a look though.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th November 2020 at 21:23.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
German domination of "luxury" is not even a quarter of what it used to be....

Coincidentally, I drove the Q2 yesterday as well, at first glance it looked huge, almost like a proper SUV..
I had a chance to get a Q3 at 25% lesser price just 2 years ago),

Agree. Other brands are playing catch up nicely in terms of well put together cars. I would indeed get a pre-owned quattro Q3, which seems a much nicer option.

If Audi is still here for another year, then prices should be halved to be able to sell anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Love the likes & dislikes at the start of your post. You have summed up the Q2 perfectly . This thread was on our homepage the entire weekend.

Carwale shows this as the on-road pricing. Has Audi gone MAD?. Priced to sink like the Titanic & perhaps the only new launch which will need discounts to sell from day 1. Give me the Kodiaq / Karoq / T-Roc over this miniature any which day:

Truly. They have destroyed Audi India. According to FADA data, Audi sold all of SIX cars last month . I know luxury used car dealers that move more premium metal:
Thank you GTO! I tried very hard to look at it without the price tag filter, but it was difficult. Some of the online video reviews I watched later do a good job with "diplomacy" on the pricing.
The Kodiaq is a wonderful option in place of this - though its a bigger car. Karoq and T-Roc will also be lovely options.

The sales numbers are the biggest joke - 6 cars? That's truly shameful. Is there a press statement from Audi about these numbers? What do they have to say? Maybe there is nothing to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
Audi's strategy to launch a car to be ridiculed unlike any other has paid off
Until then, the Q2 will remain one of the rarest and most exclusive premium SUV on Indian roads!
It might indeed be a rare sight. Intent here was absolutely not to ridicule Audi. They make good cars, have been around long time.
I feel sad for the dealerships - they put in a lot of effort and money to get a car in their portfolios and to have this pricing disclosed to them must be a rude surprise. They need the business too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Audi's biggest mistake was to take off the Q5 and A4 - never mind the lack of a diesel. Those were the bread and butter! All that Audi are selling is jam - sweet but messy and bought in small quantities.

The Q8 is actually very underwhelming in the metal. Like a bigger Creta as the Q7 now with the AllSpace engine looks like a bigger Hector! The A6 is worth a look though.
100%
I saw the Q8 in flesh and it didn't impress to justify an 8 digit price tag. I know its the closest non-Urus Urus and for that reason, it may sell in decent numbers.
When we were in the market for a car, Q5 was the number 1 car for me. I loved it a lot but we didn't get a good deal on it.

A bigger Hector is available from MG themselves now isn't it!

Audi - all the best. I mean it.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed