Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:17   #31
BHPian

re: My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I can't imagine how the car would look in the shade of White.
Can you please post an image of the headlight beam at night, both low and high beam? How good are they?
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any pics for the white colour. GTO had posted some silver pics and Rahulv had posted Starry night (blue). I have seen one in person (don't remember where). It does look good, but somehow in my mind, white = taxi.

I tried to capture some headlight pictures. The car was stationary and I tried to find gaps in the oncoming traffic to quickly click pics. You can use the mini-bus in the distance as a reference.

Normal headlight:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-headlights_normal.jpg

High beam:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-headlights_high_beam.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
So it took me 14 years and 4 cars to go from a Santro Zing to a 20l Seltos, but you went straight from a Swift to a 30l full size SUV.
1) If you want to protect your car from the elements, bird poop and chipping during highway drives, PPF would be more expensive but better than Ceramic
2) Chennai is expecting some pretty crazy rains, so plan your entry time accordingly. The window from 0200-0700 is ideal.
Haha, yes I initially planned to buy a Seltos, but my wife wanted the Tucson.

I will enquire about the PPF in December, once I'm back from Chennai. It is worth spending a bit more to preserve an expensive car.

Thank you also for the Chennai driving update, I will surely plan accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You have an amazing writing style, man! Loved reading your review.
Please invite your wife to register on the forum and PM me her username once she fills in all the details. A sensible car girl like her needs to be part of our tribe!
Thank you for your kind words.

Haha, my wife was so amused seeing this. Alas, she prefers to help ghost-write my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
P.S. Please get some kind of paint protection treatment done as the black will be the worst color to maintain after 5 years (coming from personal experience). Invest some time and money now and you will realise it later in the ownership ( hoping you will keep this car for long looking at Swift)
Yes sir, that is the plan. Hope to finish it off in the first week or two of December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
How is ground clearance of the car?
The ground clearance is about 170mm. It is not as high as a Creta or a Seltos. Having said that, as long as you are slow going over humps, there will be no issues. I have driven over the many unscientific speed-breakers in Bangalore and also the really dug up roads in Indiranagar and JeevanbhimaNagar and the car holds up just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
These are still CKD's right? The showroom people said that both tucson & elantra are made in India now and not CKD's anymore.
It is still CKD. I believe the painting is done in India, I'm not sure how much of localization there is in a CKD product (some other experts may please chime in).

Attached a picture of the view from the panoramic sunroof.
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-panoramic_sunroof.jpg

We drove to Kolar for a coffee and saw a lovely sunset.
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-sunset_near_kolar.jpg
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:58   #32
BHPian

re: My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update

Congratulations. Looks amazing in black. I have always admired Tucson.
Good to see there are a handful of people who are not following the crowd. These days, every second car on road is a Creta or a Seltos.
Just one question. Since the next generation Tucson is around the corner, did it not affect in the decision making?. Of course, there will always be something new, and we cant keep waiting. But somehow this is a mental block, especially for a car costing about 30 lacs. Unfortunately I see only 3 credible upgrade options in D1 segment. ( Elantra, Karoq and Tucson)
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Just one question. Since the next generation Tucson is around the corner, did it not affect in the decision making?
It surely did. There were some conflicting thoughts here. The new Tucson looks interesting (maybe too interesting). My wife liked the front look but not the rear. I like the conventional looks of the 2020 Tucson better. The dealer said that the new car would only come to India in 2022. I would have been more interested if the new car came in 2021 with a mild hybrid option. There was also some talk of the Kia Sportage being launched in 2021-22.

On the other hand, there is always going to be something new and exciting coming in the future. We had already waited for most of 2020 to upgrade our car, so decided to take the plunge.
Old 24th November 2020, 01:06   #34
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. It seems to be a good option in this price bracket, as we have very limited options in this category in India, as of now.

There are 30+ competitors in this category in US .

Given below is a sales numbers screenshot from highly competitive US Market in Compact SUV/crossover category (top 15), just to share US Market perspective:

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-uscar.jpg
Jas21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 09:08   #35

Congratulations QuadraticAmoeba on the Tucson!
The black looks extremely elegant!
Old 24th November 2020, 09:36   #36
BHPian

Re: My black Hyundai Tucson 2020 GLS Diesel AT: an initial ownership experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post

Service intervals and warranties

We opted for the 5 year, 50000km warranty (other choices were 3yr/unlimited or 4yr/60000km). Apparently, this is activated at the time of the 1st service.

The service intervals are - 1st service: 2 months or 1200 km. After that: every year or 10000 km. The first four services are free. Wheel alignment and balancing are not part of the deal.
First of all heartiest congratulations for your purchase. Even I own a pre-facelift 2018 model. I think hyundai has changed their warranty packages beecause when I bought the car, the 5th year warranty was for 5 years/ 1,40,000 kms. Which i blindly took considering the expensive spare parts of a vehicle at this price point and my heavy usage. I dont know why they have reduced the kms now?

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th November 2020 at 10:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
aboveallkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review! Thank you as we are also considering a second premium vehicle, and the Creta/Seltos/Duster/Ecosport/Kicks category just doesn't meet our standards. I'd say 32L OTR is a reasonably sweet spot given the crazy prices nowadays.

Couple of comments from my side:

Your wife seems to be sitting uncomfortably close to the wheel and/or in a very upright pose. This pose is common among new drivers as it allows a better view of the front due to the upright nature, but is supremely uncomfortable over longer drives.

Again (& possibly partly due to her seating position), she is holding the steering wheel too low in a '9 to 3' position instead of '10 to 2' which is considered to be the ideal stance. It also impedes quick steering movements (when at speed) because the driver is not able to rotate the steering easily. A more relaxed position is preferred in my humble opinion.

Moving from a manual to an automatic, I would suggest mentally 'tying' your left foot as far away from the pedals as possible. Reason is that new automatic drivers can sometimes absentmindedly or reflexively suddenly jab the brake pedal thinking it is the clutch. This sudden action can easily cause a rear-ending by anyone following. I have seen it happen in front of my eyes when a brand new Vento TSI test drive ended in tragedy, because (highly likely explanation) when it suddenly braked whilst at ~40 km/hr (on an empty road), and an unfortunate City rear-ended them. All this on a quiet Sunday morning on the BLR Airport Road.

Congratulation again!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 12:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Your wife seems to be sitting uncomfortably close to the wheel and/or in a very upright pose. This pose is common among new drivers as it allows a better view of the front due to the upright nature, but is supremely uncomfortable over longer drives.

Again (& possibly partly due to her seating position), she is holding the steering wheel too low in a '9 to 3' position instead of '10 to 2' which is considered to be the ideal stance. It also impedes quick steering movements (when at speed) because the driver is not able to rotate the steering easily. A more relaxed position is preferred in my humble opinion.
Thank you sir for this very useful feedback. I have quietly reclined the seat and will find a better position for her. I had told her she is too close to the steering and it's dangerous because the airbags need space to deploy.

I had already told my wife about her wrong way of holding the steering wheel. Will pay more attention to it and help her correct it.

One thing I noticed (and could use some expert feedback here): she turns the steering (while making a turn) in a very strange way - turn a little with both hands, let both hands go and catch the steering again and then repeat it. I'm finding it hard to describe but it looks so strange to me. It's a series of small turn-release. Maybe this is a driving school feature?

My usual turning method is to hold the wheel and move the same side hand (right hand if I am turning right) to the bottom and the left hand is more for support. I normally turn it until my hands come to 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, then I will reset my right hand first and then my left hand and continue the turn if needed. If the vehicle turn is done with just the half steering movement, I will turn it back. I don't remember how or when I learned this method of turning (possibly from my father who taught me driving), but this is what I have done for years.

A friend taught me the hand-over-hand method for turning the steering. I can do it, but it's not my default choice. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to do this method because of the airbag in the steering wheel, not sure if that's true or not.

When I was younger, I have also done one-handed turns by pressing my palm onto the steering wheel and rotating it. I used to release the steering wheel by just letting it go and return back to the centre. Now-a-days (being older and more safety conscious), I hold the steering wheel with both hands for turning it and gently manually turn it back to the middle.

Please give me some feedback on these steering methods, and thank you once again.

Your tip on locking my leg position on the dead pedal is very useful. I am slowly making it my default behaviour.
Old 24th November 2020, 16:03   #39
BHPian

Welcome to the elusive small club of Tuscon owners with exquisite taste & impeccable standards

Like you, I also booked the Kia first & later changed my mind to buy the Tuscon in Black. Now having owned the car for more than a year, I am absolutely happy with the choice & amidst the sea of seltos / Cretas (like literally every corner) on the road, it feels special to own the elder sibling.

Congratulations once again & looking forward to frequent updates!
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 17:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The car is a joy to drive.
And be driven in! I and my family love the car too. We're just about completing 4 years, and it's still gives me a warm fuzzy.

Quote:
you don't even realize that the car is going fast.
Uncanny. With the right tyre pressure I've had quite the shock a few tines after looking at the speedo. Your car has the beeps so that should keep you in check

Quote:
Coming from a manual drive car, I am trying to adjust my driving posture. I sometimes forget that my left leg should go on the dead pedal. The consequence of this is that my left leg is closer to my body and hence my thigh is not flat against the seat. I need to work on this. Also, my hand sometimes tries to shift the gear. I'm sure I'll get used to this quickly, but I'm (just a little) worried that I will be spoiled and have trouble driving a manual car again.
This is what helped me: keep the left leg resting on the dash, and the left foot on the dead pedal, and the left arm on the leg, or in between both if not on the steering. Took just a couple of days.
Also, you won't have any trouble driving a manual car again, it'll just be annoying in traffic. You're adding a new way to drive. The old way doesn't go away. Sometimes though, driving a manual is just different kind of fun. Driving an auto-tx mostly has made me appreciate manual cars a lot more than I used to.

Quote:
Especially since the boot is not meant to be slammed shut, but closed by pressing a button on the bottom.
Can be manually push-closed too, though not slammed.

Quote:
It seems the SAs are well aware of the annoying lock/unlock sounds. During delivery, the SA told me how to disable the sound (hold both the lock and unlock buttons for 4-5 seconds until the car lights blink). I have been enjoying a quiet lock/unlock thus far.
LOL I wish they'd known earlier. I and a few others I know have manually disconnected the beeper wire. Maybe I should've read the manual.

Quote:
One thing I noticed (and could use some expert feedback here): she turns the steering (while making a turn) in a very strange way - turn a little with both hands, let both hands go and catch the steering again and then repeat it. I'm finding it hard to describe but it looks so strange to me. It's a series of small turn-release.
It's probably because she's cramped for space.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:26   #41
BHPian

Congratulations on your new drive! Wonderful write up of the buying and ownership experience.

Very bad on Hyundai's part to exclude ventilated seats, which is even available in the Creta. Not sure what their logic is.
samuelv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 10:23   #42
BHPian

Congratulations!! The car looks absolutely gorgeous in that color. I have a question, did you consider Jeep Compass too? My friend is a but confused between the two.
Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 11:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
I have a question, did you consider Jeep Compass too? My friend is a but confused between the two.
Thank you. I did consider Jeep Compass, but decided against it for two reasons. One, the Tucson has more space in the rear seat. Two, the after sales service of Hyundai should be better, although that may not matter in a big city.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 17:10   #44
BHPian

Thats mine in white with pirelli p zero rosso tyres 245 50 r 18 and post a ceramic coat from feynlab Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-20200912_141438.jpg  

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-20200912_141422.jpg  

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-20200912_141354.jpg  

Deepu Sharma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Thats mine in white with pirelli p zero rosso tyres 245 50 r 18 and post a ceramic coat from feynlab Delhi.
Looks gorgeous! I too will do some kind of coating in the next week or two. Did you change your tyres immediately after buying the car?
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks