Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:16   #196
BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravu View Post
What all is needed for it? Is it only software or the steering controls have to be changed? If so any direction? I can do some research as well.
Hi

So, none of us has done it yet but from what we have read from the other Diesel Tiguan thread, a fellow BHPian has done it on his car. And going by that, here are the few things we will need for sure:

1. The steering control, at least the left side one needs to change to accommodate for the distance setting button when using ACC.
2. Software/ FEC codes enablement. This apparently needs the coder to communicate with the VW servers etc. A lot of threads on social media on this. The person enabling this will need some hardware which typically they carry, some of those like an OBD device to connect to our car may need to be procured by us.

Until one of us goes ahead, we will not be sure if there are more things needed.

--Kalyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aken View Post
Hi All,

Looking for a 7 seater SUV that’s big enough for 2 adults to sit comfortably in the back seat along with a car seat and a third row which can be pushed down to make space for my two dogs to travel (lying down) on long road trips etc.

Now here’s the deal - he told me that this test car ( run for 6K ) is available and it has been maintained very well as the buyers in this segment are more mature and don’t rash drive during test drives and the dealership also maintains it well as it’s a premium car.

Also read in the thread that there are new cars available from the old batch at around 34 lakhs OTR in Hyd. Would it be a good idea to pick up a new one from Hyd? Appreciate your views. Apologies for the long post.
Hi

1. Allspace should fit your requirement perfectly. The middle row is quite comfortable for 2 adults and a kid. And the last row would be comfortable for your pets. So will also be the case with the upcoming petrol Kodiaq. Kodiaq most likely will be a CKD unit and hence may not attract the addl Road Tax in MH.

2. We got a TD car run about 5k km for my mom in Jan 2020. Hence, I would say you should not expect anything less than 10-15% discount on the final price quoted for a non TD car in MH. I think a BHPian recently got one in Mumbai. Please check the thread for his posts on the pricing.

3. Can one pick a new car from Hyderabad and register in MH, certainly it can be done. The Road tax + Addl cess for being a CBU car will have to be paid in MH but this process does not necessarily come without issues or adventures if one may call it so. It will depend on the officials and agents who can/ have gotten this kind of stuff done. One BHPian got a Skoda Karoq from Pune and registered it in Bangalore after getting close to 2L discount. He had to pay a temporary RTO fee of ₹ 3,000/. in MH and drove the car to Bangalore and paid the Road Tax and Registration fees there. 34L on road would roughly convert to ~30L with insurance pre-Road tax in Hyderabad. I am not sure if there is a temporary RTO process here in Telangana, someone needs to find that out.

All the best. The SA who called me a few weeks back mentioned they have 10+ cars from the old stock here in Hyderabad. So, I suspect a few cars may still be available in MH, please do check at other dealerships.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:12   #197

Mod note: Post edited to trim the quotes, please avoid quoting entire large post while replying. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
If a new Allspace was available anywhere in India, I would certainly go for that.
======
You should also consider the new Kodiaq - could be cheaper OTR if locally assembled (assuming you are buying as an individual), but will likely be June before it hits the road.
Thank you Hayek. Waiting for the Hyd team to call me as they have some stocks. Yes, the price difference between a new car from out of state and a new car in MH may not be very different if the registration is done here. So the demo car def looks like a serious option. Should negotiate on the SVP as well if possible. Love the Kodiaq but not sure when it will be launched. Zac Hollis mentioned Q3 but was non committal on the month. So could very well be Sep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi

So, none of us has done it yet but from what we have read from the other Diesel Tiguan thread, a fellow BHPian has done it on his car. And going by that, here are the few things we will need for sure:
====
The SA who called me a few weeks back mentioned they have 10+ cars from the old stock here in Hyderabad. So, I suspect a few cars may still be available in MH, please do check at other dealerships.

--Kalyan
Thank you Kalyan_Hyd. Good to know that you picked up a TD car as well for your mom. Would be great if you can share what kind of checks you did on the car before buying. The dealer has said that I can come and be part of the computerised PDI check to verify the condition of the car. Will def be looking for a 10-15% discount on the non TD car price. Planning to consider this as a serious option.

Yea as mentioned by Hayek above, not sure if there will be lot of value in picking up a new car from Hyd and registering it here in MH in terms of savings. Checked with the other dealer in Mumbai and they all seemed to be sold out ( incl the demo car ).

Will keep you all posted on how this goes. Thanks a ton for your valuable inputs.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd March 2021 at 19:32. Reason: Quote trimmed
Aken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:51   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Would be great if you can share what kind of checks you did on the car before buying. The dealer has said that I can come and be part of the computerised PDI check to verify the condition of the car.
Hi

I did the TBHP recommended PDI (https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-...pdi-check-list). Take a friend or two along with you when you do the PDI. Try and conduct it under direct sunlight.

External blemishes: You may find some swirls/ scratches. Swirls can mostly be taken care of with the right exterior body treatment. Scratches, if not major can be addressed too.

Personally, I am okay with the exterior condition as long as there is nothing concerning like a major accident. Incidentally, my mom's car(Ford Figo Aspire) also had a big scratch on the passenger-side door. I got the dealer to re-paint the passenger-side door as part of the deal [He didn't do a great job!].

It would be very difficult and next to impossible to figure out if there are any engine. machinery related damages at the PDI but checking the Battery level, condition of the tyres, the engine bay in general, etc can perhaps point out some things.

Remember, at the PDI, you are only validating if the car is good enough to purchase. Keep negotiation away from the PDI. During this day, your only job is to determine if this car is worth your money and if there are no obvious turn-downs.

All the best!

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:38   #199

Thank you Kalyan. Currently waiting for some out of state dealers to get back on availability of new cars from the old batch before going ahead with the demo car. My big worry with the demo car is the lack of run in and the potential long term implications to the engine. A 4+1 warranty may help mitigate some of the financial losses but not the loss of peace of mind esp on a car costing > 30 lakhs. So keeping my fingers crossed. Also please do let me know if your dealer in Hyd has any new cars left.

Thanks again!
Aken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 14:20   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kalyan. Currently waiting for some out of state dealers to get back on availability of new cars from the old batch before going ahead with the demo car. My big worry with the demo car is the lack of run in and the potential long term implications to the engine. A 4+1 warranty may help mitigate some of the financial losses but not the loss of peace of mind esp on a car costing > 30 lakhs. So keeping my fingers crossed. Also please do let me know if your dealer in Hyd has any new cars left.

Thanks again!
Hi

A dealer in Hyderabad that I am in touch to has Silver and Grey in stock, it looks like they have more than 1 of each at the moment. Please DM me (I am unable to DM you) and I will pass on the contact.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 18:49   #201

Thanks Kalyan for a great review, and congratulations to all the owners of VW Tiguan Allspace on this thread.

After Booking Tiguan Allspace in Dec. 2020 I went through this thread which reinforced my decision of selecting VW Tiguan Allspace as my next ride.

I have been a very satisfied VW customer since 2010, I am still driving my VW Vento and in my short stint in US(2015-2019) I was driving 2018 Audi Q5. The movement I took the test ride I was sure this machine was close to Audi Q5 as far as engine, transmission, handling, suspension, safety and technology was concerned. It was like buying a budgeted version of Audi Q5 which probably sells at 70 lacs and above in India(Very high price indeed, thanks to our taxations). Once the dealer offered me around 5Lac discount on their standard on road pricing it was easy for me to say yes.

Sharing some pics of my VW Tiguan Allspace
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-tiguan_1.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-tiguan_2.jpeg

Since Dec. 2020 I have clocked around 5800 Kms, Very happy and satisfied with the performance and comfort it offers specially for a family of 5 on long distance trips.

Would love to hear from you all about your ownership experience and if any of you have tried VCDS coding for enabling some hidden features, I am specially looking forward for Ambient Lighting.......
sitaramnaik13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 20:46   #202
BHPian

Superb review! Very detailed, just like we expect here on team-bhp. And Lovely car! I guess this is a better option for people who want a not so heavy SUV like the Fortuner or the Ford Endy and is usually self driven with more city use. Compared to those, this must be really easy to drive in the city traffic. I like the interiors as well. Functional and looks better than Fortuner or Endevour. Will be costlier to maintain than those though but you are saving upfront.

I have one silly question, when you fold the third row of seats down, is there a limitation for how much you can push back the second row of seats or recline them? Since the headrests of the third row must be touching the back of second row seats. As I too, like you, am interested in a easy to drive spacious automatic SUV to replace my current two cars, XUV and a Vento, sometime soon and need a five seater with good boot space for long highway trips. Also should be good for city use as well. And this seems to fit the bill perfectly I think. Also did you consider or compared this with the Hyundai Tucson?

Last edited by magikrider : 29th March 2021 at 20:51.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 22:57   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
The Air conditioning has failed in my car after a mere 800 kilometres of usage. It used to work sometimes at night but recently that has stopped as well. Had to drive the car without A/C in Hyderabad's 40°C weather (very unpleasant). The blower still blows air, but cooling is zero. Dropped the car off at the service center yesterday, they have taken the car to a different centre to diagnose the problem, SA still reckons it is related to the gas despite having checked that when I complained at the Swagat service 100 kilometres ago.
Hi

Any update about the issue with the AC in your car. I would like to know the diagnosis/ resolution provided, time taken to fix it, Service center where it was taken to and experience post delivery.

A friend is looking at a similar issue in his brand new Allspace.

--Kalyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Superb review! Very detailed, just like we expect here on team-bhp.

I have one silly question, when you fold the third row of seats down, is there a limitation for how much you can push back the second row of seats or recline them? Since the headrests of the third row must be touching the back of second row seats.

Also did you consider or compared this with the Hyundai Tucson?
Thanks for the good words.

No, surprisingly, whether you fold the 3rd row seats or not, the most the 2nd row seats can slide back or recline is the same point. However, to comfortably set or fold the 3rd row seats, one will need to slide the 2nd row seats a bit to the front.

I didn't particularly like the looks of the outgoing Tucson, it's been like that for a while without much updates. Otherwise it's a very capable car. And a couple of showrooms I went to didn't have a TD car.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 10:39   #204

Quote:
Hi

Any update about the issue with the AC in your car. I would like to know the diagnosis/ resolution provided, time taken to fix it, Service center where it was taken to and experience post delivery.

A friend is looking at a similar issue in his brand new Allspace.

--Kalyan
MODY Mehdipatnam had to take the car to their Uppal service centre, held the vehicle for around a week, apparently tore down the A/C unit and finally attributed it to a loose washer that was not checked. They returned the vehicle with the A/C working fine and we took the vehicle on a 1800km road trip to Chennai. A/C was working fine all the way until the trip back, as we neared Ongole and the temperature shot up to 38°, the A/C stopped working, a completely different problem this time. The blower motor was making a sound and very little cold air could be felt from the vents but no real airflow was coming through into the cabin. I presumed the air was misdirected somewhere due to a screw-up at the service centre whilst reassembling the unit. After around 30 mins of turning on/off the A/C and finally driving for a while without the A/C (in the blistering heat) we turned it on and it worked perfectly fine for the rest of the trip. Absolutely no idea what happened, but very disappointed in the quality levels of such an expensive "luxury" product . Probably giving the vehicle back to MODY to 'keep under observation' and then will see what is to be done. What happened to your friend's vehicle? Mine was a Jan 2020 model with the Continental tyres, perhaps there was a batch of defective A/C units at the factory for this period? Absolutely no clue, just speculating.

What fuel efficiency are other Allspace owners getting on the highway? My father is a very sedate driver and for some reason on the Chennai trip we weren't able to get fuel economy levels above 10kmpl. Other owners please do advise on anything you have learnt pertaining to this issue. Attaching some images. Also took a snap of the car next to a random silver polo to highlight the colour contrast. Tiguan ownership so far seems like such a mixed bag to be honest .
Attached Thumbnails
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-20210328_183719.jpg  

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-20210320_212206.jpg  

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-20210324_093107.jpg  

Oggy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 13:09   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Mine was a Jan 2020 model with the Continental tyres, perhaps there was a batch of defective A/C units at the factory for this period? Absolutely no clue, just speculating.

What fuel efficiency are other Allspace owners getting on the highway? My father is a very sedate driver and for some reason on the Chennai trip we weren't able to get fuel economy levels above 10kmpl. Other owners please do advise on anything you have learnt pertaining to this issue. Tiguan ownership so far seems like such a mixed bag to be honest .
Thanks for the details,

My Allspace and at least 3-4 others that I know personally in Hyderabad are also from the same batch (Dec '19, Jan '20) with Continental Tyres, including this friend's car that is being discussed. So, I have my fingers crossed for the AC faults coming up in the future. Hopefully, by that time, the service center technicians will have had more experience and have run-books in place for resolving known issues. I suspect even if this is a common occurrence, any recall/ fix will be issued for this from the Volkswagen end.

My car has crossed 9k km. And I am consistently getting 11.85 - 13 kmpl on highways. In the city, so far the average was around 10 kmpl but the last two tankfuls have been strictly within the city with zero highway/ ORR travel and I see it dropping to 9 kmpl. So, my observation regarding the mileage is something like this. The one time I got 13.5 kmpl, my AC was off for the first half of the 300 km journey as it was pretty cool outside. And the two trips to Bangalore when I got 11.85 was with full AC use. I suspect as the temperatures outside are going upwards, the car is burning a lot more fuel just for the AC. There is a metric and a graphic that one can see on the Infotainment in one of the modes on the consumption for the AC. There was a discussion about going for CR70 kind of window and windshield films. I think if not all, at the least covering the sunroof may be worthwhile.

I had a minor scare post my 2nd check-up service when they advised paid Wheel Alignment and Balancing that cost me ~ ₹ 3500/. Upon receiving the car back, the steering started to wobble a bit post 80 kmph speeds. On reporting, the car was taken back and fixed promptly.

--Kalyan

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 30th March 2021 at 13:15. Reason: Added more content
Old 30th March 2021, 15:31   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What fuel efficiency are other Allspace owners getting on the highway? My father is a very sedate driver and for some reason on the Chennai trip we weren't able to get fuel economy levels above 10kmpl.
Did my first highway drive to and from Lonavala from my place (which is Parel, Central Bombay). Drove in Eco mode - which I find gives more than enough power and throttle response. Onward fuel efficiency in fairly heavy traffic out of Bombay was 11.9 kmpl till Khalapur (which is on the Bombay Pune expressway just before the start of the Ghat), but collapsed during the climb up the Ghat (in heavy traffic, with a lot of weaving to be done) to average 9.3 kmpl and when we reached our destination.

Return was in lighter traffic and also benefited from coasting downhill - so was 12.8 kmpl till Vashi, and then dropped to an average of 12.2 kmpl by the time I reached home (which included city driving, albeit on Holi day).

Pics attached

Parel - Khalapur

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-32ea66dc5aac4d5c9d55124fd1d35d07.jpeg

Parel - Lonavala

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-c27bfd79f131464d92d941d89ab4e72c.jpeg

Lonavala - Vashi
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-77e99c2024a0427e9da0f1a212f13d3f.jpeg

Lonavala - Parel
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-466ff1d061be458090e3522264bfcc6b.jpeg

For the sake of reference, I got 14.3 kmpl on a recent drive from Pune to Parel in my diesel X3, so this car gave about 2 kmpl less.

By the way, we got just 5 kmpl on a drive on a steep Ghat road from where we were staying to Pawna, so driving spiritedly in hills is not something this car enjoys (at least from an FE perspective).

Enjoyed the drive enormously - so all good so far.

Last edited by Hayek : 30th March 2021 at 15:33.
Hayek is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 22:08   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

A dealer in Hyderabad that I am in touch to has Silver and Grey in stock, it looks like they have more than 1 of each at the moment. Please DM me (I am unable to DM you) and I will pass on the contact.

--Kalyan
Thanks Kalyan. I’m unable to DM you because of membership restrictions. But could you share what is the price being quoted in Hyd? A month back the demo car in mumbai was being sold for 37. I’m curious as I might be interested in one of the price is good. Thanks
ankur_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 00:16   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
Thanks Kalyan. I’m unable to DM you because of membership restrictions. But could you share what is the price being quoted in Hyd? A month back the demo car in mumbai was being sold for 37. I’m curious as I might be interested in one of the price is good. Thanks
Hi Ankur,

I'm not aware of any available stocks at the moment but I can check tomorrow. The last was on Mar 30th when someone in Mumbai bought the car from Hyderabad and registered there. At that time the OTR price in Hyderabad with a 3 yr SVP pack was 34L. For the Mumbai delivery, the dealer charged ex-showroom, Insurance, Temp regn charges here while the Road Tax was paid in Mumbai.

--Kalyan
Old 9th April 2021, 07:29   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ankur,

I'm not aware of any available stocks at the moment but I can check tomorrow. The last was on Mar 30th when someone in Mumbai bought the car from Hyderabad and registered there. At that time the OTR price in Hyderabad with a 3 yr SVP pack was 34L. For the Mumbai delivery, the dealer charged ex-showroom, Insurance, Temp regn charges here while the Road Tax was paid in Mumbai.

--Kalyan
That’s a pretty good price, keeping aside the other charges. Would be great if you could check.
ankur_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:24   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
That’s a pretty good price, keeping aside the other charges. Would be great if you could check.
Hi Ankur,

There are no stocks left at one of the dealers(PPS Motors) in Hyderabad. I am not in touch with the other one(Mody Auto) at the moment. A new batch of the Allspace is projected to arrive by mid-June, July timeframe.

While the ex-showroom of the new batch has been bumped up by nearly 1L, there is no way these folks can sell this car anywhere near 40L on road in Hyderabad so they will have to end up giving discounts. Kodiaq is also poised to come by the 3rd quarter this year.

--Kalyan

Most Viewed