Old 11th April 2021, 19:10   #211
BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Thanks Kalyan. Appreciate the response
ankur_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 18:18   #212
BHPian

This thread has been silent for sometime now, so sharing this long term report posted on Autocar earlier today-
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-lon...-report-421439

Would request owners to help share your thoughts on this report and also understand your perspective on the various areas that has been covered in this report.
cloudno19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:22   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudno19 View Post
This thread has been silent for sometime now, so sharing this long term report posted on Autocar earlier today-
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-lon...-report-421439

Would request owners to help share your thoughts on this report and also understand your perspective on the various areas that has been covered in this report.
Hi

I had a few updates to post regarding the cosmetic work(dechroming) that I got done on my Allspace. I am in the midst of taking pics and composing the update.

I have done about 12,500 kms on my car thus far. And based on my chit-chats with 3-4 other Allspace owners from Hyderabad, these are a few observations

1. The engine oil seems to be going low/ consumed at the rate of about 500ml per every 5,000 kms. Two folks I know had to top-up about 800-900 ml of oil before their first service. The above report also mentions that and online references also seem to point to the same.

2. I have had the car loaded with 4 adults and their baggage only once on a trip to Bangalore but it was mostly plains and I did not feel the lack of punch as much as the author of the article refers to. Yes, there were cases/ scenarios when I had to move to the 'S' mode for the added punch say while executing a few overtaking manoeuvres, etc.

3. My average highway mileage has been upwards of 11 kmpl thus far even with spirited drives during two Bangalore trips. And the city mileage, with my part of the city being less populated, etc was around 9.5 - 10 kmpl. I haven't been to the mountains myself but a few friends mentioned that on the uphill, the mileage goes down drastically.

4. Some users have had issues with the 'clunk' sound made during gear shifts in low gears D1-4, etc. To observe this, I had to shut off the AC and the Infotainment system and I did hear the 'clunks' but it's not predominant and/ or disturbing to me at all esp with AC and Infotainment running just at usual volumes.

5. The noise from the suspension esp when the car goes over a hump and the front tyres fall back onto the road, is often distracting and exactly as the article mentions. Personally, I think it's due to the way the suspension is set up, it does not articulate much.

6. I am extremely happy with the car so far esp as a 5 seater and with 700 litres of boot capacity. Surprisingly, I was able to transport an office standing desk within the car one of the days. Mileage is not bothersome at the moment. I have recently moved to IOL XP95 petrol which is roughly ₹ 4/. per litre more than the usual 91 Octane Petrol but I have seen 0.5 - 0.7 kmpl increment in mileage owing to this.

7. The range of the car on highways with the 60-litre fuel tank is approximately 700 kms. I do get a bit anxious as the fuel level goes below 1/4th of the tank. As I am used to having a tankful most of the time in the city and prefer refuelling when it hits 1/2 mark. Also, going forward, I may have an issue finding a bunk with XP95 fuel on the highways.

8. One of the VW dealers in Hyderabad has started to offer European style R line side skirts and bumpers painted in body colour. I was toying with the idea of my White car painted in body colour but still in two minds. They are charging ₹ 26k for this job.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 18:17   #214

Hi,

What would be a good price for a demo car Allspace ~5500kms?
MY2019/March 2020 imported
Could someone throw light on what they have paid for demo cars earlier this year?

--Pranay
Old 6th August 2021, 10:32   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranaynewton View Post
Hi,

What would be a good price for a demo car Allspace ~5500kms?
MY2019/March 2020 imported
Could someone throw light on what they have paid for demo cars earlier this year?

--Pranay
Hi Pranay

First things first, you are talking about a car that was probably imported with my car, i.e. built around the last quarter of 2019 and imported to India in the first quarter of 2020. So, the tyres for instance are from June 2019, etc. My first reaction to this post is that I would not recommend you to get this car. Esp since it was probably un-used much other than the TDs. No matter what in about 12-18 months, you'd have to replace the tyres, most likely the battery too. And I am not sure about the warranty period provided for the TD cars, I guess it starts from the period the car was in use by the dealer.

But, if you have checked the car in person and are happy with the PDI. Treat it no different than a pre-owned/ used car for the duration of roughly 18-20 months. The normal discounts on the car were around 10-15% from the OTR pricing at the time of the first sale, I would expect another 20% on top of it, so roughly 24-28L is the mark.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 01:15   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
2. I have had the car loaded with 4 adults and their baggage only once on a trip to Bangalore but it was mostly plains and I did not feel the lack of punch as much as the author of the article refers to. Yes, there were cases/ scenarios when I had to move to the 'S' mode for the added punch say while executing a few overtaking manoeuvres, etc.
How do you think it performs or would perform if carrying 4 adults with luggage say on a ghat or steep slopes? Have you been in similar situation ever till now? Does it feel like dragging? Can you please throw some light if possible?

Quote:
3. My average highway mileage has been upwards of 11 kmpl thus far even with spirited drives during two Bangalore trips. And the city mileage, with my part of the city being less populated, etc was around 9.5 - 10 kmpl. I haven't been to the mountains myself but a few friends mentioned that on the uphill, the mileage goes down drastically.
So overall even with some bumper to bumper city traffic it can be assumed 9-10 with more city driving I guess.

Quote:
8. One of the VW dealers in Hyderabad has started to offer European style R line side skirts and bumpers painted in body colour. I was toying with the idea of my White car painted in body colour but still in two minds. They are charging ₹ 26k for this job.
Had seen the R-line kitted car in some video on AutoExpo 2020. Looks fab but I have a doubt it’ll make the GC a little low. That I won’t like.

Last edited by magikrider : 21st August 2021 at 01:30.
Old 21st August 2021, 07:22   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
How do you think it performs or would perform if carrying 4 adults with luggage say on a ghat or steep slopes? Have you been in similar situation ever till now? Does it feel like dragging? Can you please throw some light if possible?
I do that every now and then, never felt like it's dragging, I don't use the paddle shifters. Recently did a drive with 5 adults and a packed boot, this was a 1-2 hour drive through the ghats + occasional bad roads, it preformed much better than any cvt or manual cars I use in the same area.
santhoshp2004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 07:59   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How do you think it performs or would perform if carrying 4 adults with luggage say on a ghat or steep slopes?
Have driven our Allspace on some of the steep roads between Malavli and Pawna past Lohegad Fort, with 4 adults, a teenager and a small kid. No problem whatsoever. Similarly, had no issues driving to Goa - albeit 2 adults, a teenager and lots of luggage

Quote:
So overall even with some bumper to bumper city traffic it can be assumed 9-10 with more city driving I guess.
In Bombay traffic, more like 7-8 kmpl. You can get 9 -10 on the faster North South roads - but mileage drops a lot if you are stuck in traffic or doing East West drives.

Last edited by Hayek : 21st August 2021 at 08:01.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 15:40   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshp2004 View Post
I do that every now and then, never felt like it's dragging, I don't use the paddle shifters. Recently did a drive with 5 adults and a packed boot, this was a 1-2 hour drive through the ghats + occasional bad roads, it preformed much better than any cvt or manual cars I use in the same area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Have driven our Allspace on some of the steep roads between Malavli and Pawna past Lohegad Fort, with 4 adults, a teenager and a small kid. No problem whatsoever. Similarly, had no issues driving to Goa - albeit 2 adults, a teenager and lots of luggage
Ok so I guess ghats with 4 people and loaded luggage shouldn’t be a problem when travelling Mumbai-Lonavala or Mumbai-Nashik. Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
In Bombay traffic, more like 7-8 kmpl. You can get 9 -10 on the faster North South roads - but mileage drops a lot if you are stuck in traffic or doing East West drives.
Ah so since my city-highway usage might be around 60-40 in Mumbai, I can expect 8-9 kmpl. But my overall usage is less now. And single hand usage so I guess that shouldn’t be much of a problem. I guess should be around 10,000 kms maximum in a year.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 23:34   #220
BHPian

Also has anyone compared between VW Allspace and The Citroen C5? I guess that car might have a few ups over the VW including a powerful Diesel unit. Only concern would be their lack of much experience in India and less dealerships and service centres. Would be good to hear from someone who’s compared or tried both and made a decision then. Thank you.
Old 24th August 2021, 17:19   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

As some others replied, it could purely depend on the kind of traffic we drive-in. My part of the city is sparsely populated these days as many offices are closed and folks working from homes hence I am seeing figures of 9-10 and normally I don't get a chance to empty a full tank just with city driving, it's always a mix.

Quote:
Had seen the R-line kitted car in some video on AutoExpo 2020. Looks fab but I have a doubt it’ll make the GC a little low. That I won’t like.
So, this is not an additional kit that is fitted to the car. This is just repainting of the panels to body colour just like one of the review Orange cars.

eg: One seen here:

Quote:
Also has anyone compared between VW Allspace and The Citroen C5?
I had looked at this briefly sometime beginning of the year.

Positives for Citroen C5:

1. Diesel, so better low-end torque and overall good rpm/ torque specs.
2. Claimed mileage is far better than Allspace.
3. Supposed additional comfort of the "Cushions" suspension system.
4. Price lower by about 2 L ex-showroom on the top-end variant.

Positives for Allspace:
1. AWD (4 Motion).
2. 700 litres of boot in the 5 seater mode against 525 litres in C5.
3. Rear seat space.
4. 5 star Euro NCAP safety rating with 7 airbags against 4 star Euro NCAP safety rating with 6 airbags.
5. Digital Instrument cluster.
6. 4 yrs of warranty extendable to 5 yrs (or more, yet to be confirmed) against 3 yrs standard on C5.
7. More service network and cover as compared to Citroen as of today.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 23:59   #222

Hi All,

I have noticed a problem with my Tiguan Allspace. If I wash my car and thereafter if it sits in the garage for more than 2 days there is a abnormal thudding sound coming from the rear wheels while braking, more the braking more is the sound. After driving the car for few kms, this sound wanes off and thereafter it disappears. I have uploaded the video of this problem on YouTube, please find the link below

I had taken it to the dealer but when I drive it to the dealer the sound disappears, as its occurrence is only for few kms after it is out of the garage, the dealer informed me that there are no fault codes and he has inspected the brakes pads. After receiving the car from the dealer the problem was still there. It will be interesting to know if any of our Allspace owners had this issue. Also will appreciate if anybody can help me to figure out the issue.

Thanks
sitaramnaik13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 07:52   #223
BHPian

This is my first Team BHP post, though have been using this as a guide for years. So going to pour in my writing and automobile knowledge into this virgin post.
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-tiguana.jpg
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-tiguanb.jpg

Introduction

So, my car ownership journey has two phases, pre VAG and post VAG.
Palio (2014)-> Beat Diesel -> Optra -> Rapid DSG -> Polo SRT edition -> Polo DSG -> Tiguan AllSpace (2020 Dec).

I am a DSG fan and will drive nothing other than that. Octavia RS as next in line for my Rapid, but some life events forced me to alter plans. Read on to know more.

Prelogue

Since, I got my first DSG (VAG) car, I fell in love with the experience, from someone who always considered AT are for wussies, I realized that I enjoy this drive much more. I used to do long overnight drives (BLR -> TVM, 800+km) very frequently and Rapid made these drive much more relaxing and fatigue free. So, I got a second (used) Polo GT TSI, and ended up with a chance buy of a MT Polo SRT. Few years down the lane, after a lot of mods on my Rapid (improvements like Auto head lights, R340G, TPMS to Level 1 ECU tuning), I realized it was time for a new car. While my wife always wanted SUVs, I was always for Sedans, and still eyes on Octavia RS. On her insistence tried Kodiaq as well (didn't like the drive experience, roll etc.), so dead lock went on for years.
On the other side, as my first kid a year or so, we went on a Euro trip by road. And the regulations needed him to be on a kids' seat. This was a revelation. Since then, we have never let him sit on anything but kids' seat. It also became a good habit for him, that he would only sit on child seat. Now we had a second kid, and 2 kid seats on Rapid meant the car literally became a 2-seater. So, we didn't have an option but to go for a 7-seater SUV (while I read random rumors about Octavia Wagon releasing in India, I knew it was wishful thinking.)
So, set out to find out the safest, most driver friendly 7-seater.

Selection

Though the SUV scene was heating up in India since Kia's entry, there were no "driver focussed" SUVs (+ 7-seater). The Innovas of the world were meant to be enjoyed sitting behind, not behind the wheels. Kodiaq was the only option, it was not selling (anymore) in 2019. We decided to test drive a few cars, once in a while. For some reason, we never considered Endeavour or Fortuner (reason = DSG).

Requirements
  • 7-seater
  • DCT (hence Automatic)
  • ~30L price point
  • Safety and kids' friendly (Isofix etc.)
  • Sun-roof and other such vanity needs.

There wasn't much choice left. Tried Harrier; was a quick "no" as soon as I drove it.
Then tried Kia Carnival, it was like a ship (huge!), but also felt like a van. Driving experience was not bad, not great either. So, it made the consideration list, as it had all bells and whistles, plus somewhat met the needs.

AllSpace it is

We had decided to wait for Gloster to test drive, but then I came to know there is this new VW Tiguan variant called AllSpace, which is a 7-seater. In my mind (OG) Tiguan was always a no, pricier than Octavia, worser than Kodiaq, also last updated 2017. But was intrigued by this new variant.
From there, it was a blitzkrieg.
  • Test drove on Monday.
  • Made full payment on Tuesday
  • Took home the car on Friday
  • Finished first 1000km by Monday. (This was Dec 2020, peak lockdown time)
I also realized this was the priciest VW car sold in India (woah!) and that it was a CBU and hence "no variants to choose from". Also, the dealer was quite keen to close the deal, almost surprised even to see someone buying this car. The on-road price was coming to ~42L (), but he brought it down to 39L. (Later on, seeing TeamBHP posts, I realized it would have gone even further down), was overall happy with the purchase.
Had no buyers' remorse (despite the hefty cheque), enjoyed every moment of sitting in the car. I was so excited that I left rear door open and drove out of the basement, the door slamming shut by a pillar. Door tip got a dent, luckily since the pillar had rubber padding, no paint scratches.

First week

I could still not believe the overall smoothness and tight control of the car. Since, it was CBU and not yet properly ready for India, Voice control, Maps etc were not functional and the car had this weird "Unable to active emergency call system, please contact the dealer" voice over and red light popping up frequently.
Lane Assist: Something I thought would be a vanity in India, became my most used feature (still is), it is very sensitive, and works even with faded markings. Forces a habit to use indicators to switch lanes.
Auto Hold: Life saver in cities. Since the handbrake is electronic, it supports auto hold, which means, if the car comes to a halt, it will not move forward, even if on Drive unless I accelerate.
Brake Assist The level of confidence and sense of safety this car provides can't be explained in words. Brake Assist more than anything reminds you occasionally that "I will take care of you".
Boot space: If I fold up the 3rd row (which is our standard config) the boot is HUGE! And it is flat, and well designed, with side pockets, underfloor storage etc.
Memory Setting: Me being 5'10" and my wife being 5'0", memory setting linked to keys, partially helps adjust seats, temperature etc. Still must adjust rear view and steering.
Few other things like the virtual cockpit, nice Head Unit etc.
Must say, the car was getting better with each drive, discovering something new and feeling "wow!" about it.

Fringes

The car comes with the European manual. I have the habit to reading the manual end to end before using any product. And as I read the Tiguan manual, I was in for a heart break. Traffic jam assist, Adaptive Cruise control, 360 view, blind spot assist. Few things I saw in the manual were not to be found in the car. Dealer had no clue either.
After a bunch of research, realized the radar unit is active in the car, but the features are not enabled in India. I even got some leads on how I can just replace the Steering buttons and activate the features from software. I want to go ahead and get these done. But not finding a reliable partner in crime, and fear of losing 4+ years of warranty has kept me away. (Still game if someone wants to help me out)

Misses

Air conditioning: It sucks, I was driving a friend's s-presso, and it has 10 times better A/C than tiguan. 2nd row situation is bad, 3rd row is like a furnace (even if your A/C is in full mode). And 3rd row doesn't even have any ventilation options. The dealer said A/C would be weak if I am on economy mode, but I can attest that it is useless in all modes.
3rd Row: To be honest, as soon as I drove the car for the first time, I knew I am buying it. 3rd row was no more a factor. But practically, 3rd row is tight. Can "adjust", if 2nd row is pushed ahead, otherwise just good for kids. Also, it is terribly hot there.
Software, updates: Dealer has limited clue on how this vehicle works (at least at the time I bought). So he didn't know when he will get the software for India, so maps didn't work. Voice control didn't. I managed to download and apply maps myself. Had to wait for 4 months to get Voice control working. The infotainment system runs EU ROM, with some interesting VW apps which don't work in India. Also, the annoying "emergency call system" error.
Boot opener : The "Wag your leg to open boot" never worked when I genuinely had my hands full, or whenever I tried to show off (basically never worked). No way to close the boot remotely, I read here somewhere, pressing and holding boot opener switch will close the boot, It does not
Mileage : This is expected, but still hurts, I get 9-10 kmpl, whether I am in city or the highway. Whether I am in economy or normal. Haven't got 600km range in a full tank till date.
Bells and whitles: Whatever is there is "classy", but it is not loaded like a Kia or a Hyundai. For example, it has limited WLAN support, but not in any way "a connected car", the infotainment system is average, the maps/navigation is okay. No wireless charging, 230V port, USB C port, no electronic seat adjustment for passenger seat, ambient lighting customization etc. TPMS is primitive, informs if there is "pressure loss". If this is supposed to be most expensive VW car, expected it to have everything that a T-Roq or Taigun would have (it is not the case).

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-tiguan1.jpg

The drive experience

The car is a bliss to drive. After getting this car, it was a pain to drive the Rapid, the steering felt hard, the suspension felt hard, the seat felt hard. I feel guilty of my stepson like treatment to it, but Tiguan has just spoiled us. Easily end up climbing high speeds in BLR-CHE highway, without even realizing, (early morning trips, dead straight strips). But these aside, the car just feels safe and in control all the times. Never have I tried to push the car to a point where it started struggling or rattling. At times, I forget it is a 7-seater family car!
In the last 7 months and 12k kilometers, there has not been any deterioration of performance or pickup. It has been as it was on Day 0.
Have off roaded quite a bit. Though car suspension evens out most of what comes its way, the car has a low spot near its nose, so if you're not careful, you end up dinging it against the floor. I have a regular countryside route which I drive over weekends, when once I drove through that in my Rapid I actually realized how bad the roads were. It's not an apples-apples comparison, but Tiguan just absorbs all of it.

This is the most expensive car I have ever driven so can't compare with the name brands (BMW, Audi etc.), but the steering has the right amount of weight, being electronically powered it has very high fidelity and you can move it precisely (I had the same feeling when I moved from Beat to Rapid, but now Rapid steering feels extremely hard to maneuver relatively). In terms of power and response, I have never had a situation where I had to wait for the gush, whether for a quick overtaking maneuver or for speeding up in general. The 180+ BHP and 320NM seems to be more than what I can explore as a driver maybe. Also, the engine is extremely silent, that with auto-stop feature, you at times don't know if you're car ignition is on or off.

Ownership

I haven't taken the car for its "official" first service. There is a 1000 km and 5000 km checkup which honestly involved just toggling the software flag saying checkup done I guess, and then cleanup. I took it mostly with the expectation of software update. I am close to the first proper service (15k km), will update on how it goes. When I bought the car from showroom, there was a 2mm dia, white spot (paint gone) on the body, which I mentioned to the dealer, he apologized, but don't know what my expectation was, so beyond an awkward conversation didn't get any resolution for it. Overall VW dealer folks have been cordial, especially the RM who closed the deal is prompt to help with any queries. (Compared to Skoda, VW seems to be a few notches better at least in the way they interact with customer, can't comment of service quality yet).

There are a bunch of accessories like mats, bumper protection stickers, VW child seats etc. which quite honestly were way too expensive for it's value (compared to similar aftermarket counterparts). So, I spent ahead and 30k or so getting a ceramic coating done (aftermarket), which has helped a lot. Car boot, doors at times have opened to the wall, and even occasional front/rear ending to walls and minor accidents have left no marks on the car. Though on high traffic corners, the coating seems to just start wearing down.

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-tiguan.jpg
My verdict?
Two kids' seats, 1 mini fridge, vaccuum cleaner, rolled up mats, icebox and diaper bags. This is like home to us. As Saturday morning comes, we pack food, and leave to some uninhabited place around Krishnagiri or Thalli. During the lockdown, this was our only way to get out of 4 walls to somewhere exciting. Our 2-year-old and 4-year-old have spent more time in this car than anywhere else. In the 8 months, the only remorse (envy) is when looking at the 2021 version which has a tiny bit more features than ours. Only if we could exchange this for the new one (even if for a little premium).

Also, in the 7-8 months, I have not encountered another Tiguan Allspace on road. This kind of exclusivity is something even a Jaguar owner may not have.
Attached Thumbnails
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-tigrap.jpg  

narayanbabu is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:00   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitaramnaik13 View Post
Hi All,

I have noticed a problem with my Tiguan Allspace. If I wash my car and thereafter if it sits in the garage for more than 2 days there is a abnormal thudding sound coming from the rear wheels while braking, more the braking more is the sound. After driving the car for few kms, this sound wanes off and thereafter it disappears. I have uploaded the video of this problem on YouTube, please find the link below

Thanks
This doesn't sound normal. If your dealer is not able to diagnose, try another dealer in your city or send this video to VW customer care on the mail. Something to do with the disc getting warm and sound waning off later. Do you see any marks or lines on the disc that might depict like something is lodged between it and the pads? Do you feel the thud inside the car or you just hear the sound? Do you feel it on the brake pedal? Are you able to figure out which wheel is making this sound?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:09   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
This doesn't sound normal. If your dealer is not able to diagnose, try another dealer in your city or send this video to VW customer care on the mail. Something to do with the disc getting warm and sound waning off later. Do you see any marks or lines on the disc that might depict like something is lodged between it and the pads? Do you feel the thud inside the car or you just hear the sound? Do you feel it on the brake pedal? Are you able to figure out which wheel is making this sound?
There are no marks on the dics, but I can hear and feel the thud sound in the car, vibrations are felt inside as well. The sound is only coming from the rear left side, definitely something to do with the left side rear wheel. As advised by you I am also planning to escalate this to VW directly.

Most Viewed