Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 02:19   #181
BHPian

Re: 1+ year | 23k KM - MEGA Update! (Continued)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Magnetic Sun Shades Set
Useless. Returned it promptly.
Why? Don’t they fit snug?

Quote:
I chose the Bimbra dead pedals.
Are these bolt on to existing holes or need new ones?

Quote:
These locking nuts are for peace of mind.
Great timing. Was looking out for something like this. How much did you pay for these?

Also, please share how much you paid for underbody protection.

Quote:
Instrument Cluster Software Update
What was updated here? Also, does it show outside temperature?

One more thing I forgot to add, Is there anyway to disable 80/120 kmph beep and MID notification?

Last edited by batish : 17th January 2022 at 02:20. Reason: Added last line
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 09:06   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1+ year | 23k KM - MEGA Update! (Continued)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Why? Don’t they fit snug?

Are these bolt on to existing holes or need new ones?

Great timing. Was looking out for something like this. How much did you pay for these?

Also, please share how much you paid for underbody protection.

What was updated here? Also, does it show outside temperature?

One more thing I forgot to add, Is there anyway to disable 80/120 kmph beep and MID notification?
The magnetic sunshade have a cut out for the ORVMs, which means they're held in place by the magnets in the top and the rear edges of the window frame mostly, a bit from the front.

No matter how I adjusted this, it always kept falling off unless you opened the door like it's made of delicate chinaware. Also, I'd rather have a full frame one with zippers instead of this design.

The Bimbra dead pedals are bolt-on too, no additional drilling or modifications needed.

I paid little less than Rs. 4,200 for the locking nuts - speak to Mr. Mahendra from @getsurya's post that I'd linked, he's very responsive!

I paid less than 40k for both the underbody and DEF guard. There were options available at half this price, but I found the Arka ones too be better designed.

The instrument cluster update was just that, a software update - I didn't notice anything different. The Thar does not have external temperature sensor, so we are not getting that unless a future update brings this feature, and we manage to back-port it!

I didn't bother about the speed warnings, coz they don't bother me - being a convertible soft top, there are things making far more noises drowning those poor beeps at 80 / 120 KMPH such that they're barely audible
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 11:19   #183
BHPian

Re: 1+ year | 23k KM - MEGA Update!

Quote:

This is a completely repairable suspension - one-time purchase/ serviced for life is what I am told. They are not for hardcore offroading (neither are the stock Gabriel ones), and are designed to be better on tarmac while can take a bit of offroad abuse too.

The cost is steep, no doubt - but I am putting this down as a part of the purchase cost, It definitely makes owning a Thar much more easier, especially for daily/ on-tarmac use. And the fact that I got the Thar as a part of the first lot, before all the price hikes did help

After using this aftermarket setup for about 4,500 KM, I know what I have missed for the first 18,000 KM! The body roll is so well contained that the first speed-breaker you'll drive over will tell you the difference. I was running at 11/ 13 initially, but have switched to 12 / 14 for now (softer). Let me see how this goes. If the Thar's body roll and handling are you biggest complaints, save up for this - you won't regret!

[/left]
Thank you for sharing this comprehensive ownership report. Loved every detail! I have a couple of questions with regards to this suspension upgrade:
1. What is the cost of this product (if you dont mind sharing).
2. Is there a noticeable improvement in the ride quality?
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:01   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Thank you for sharing this comprehensive ownership report. Loved every detail! I have a couple of questions with regards to this suspension upgrade:
1. What is the cost of this product (if you dont mind sharing).
2. Is there a noticeable improvement in the ride quality?
The aftermarket suspension is priced at about 1.1 lakhs. I was initially hesitant, considering this steep cost. A few BHPians had done this upgrade and the general view is that the ride and handling has improved.

My view? It is expensive, and I won't say the cost justifies the benefit if you're thinking in a linear manner.

The body roll is definitely well contained, and handling is of course better. With adjustable stiffness, you can also personalize your Thar should behave across the terrain you frequent. Even when I made it soft-sprung, it still didn't have the body roll that the stock shock and springs had.

But we're talking about a short wheelbase ladder frame jeep - a suspension mod cannot make it compliant like a Duster or Hexa. It makes it comparable to the likes of Endeavour, with the larger SUV still having the upper hand. The comparison shouldn't be "I paid a lakh plus, need the magic carpet" - that'll lead to disappointment. It improves on the stock behaviour - by a lot.

So I'd suggest you to test drive a couple of Thars with this suspension mod - some may have the recommended stiffness, others may make it a bit soft (like I've done). Do your research before you commit your purse.

I'm satisfied with this investment. And the fact that my Thar was couple of lakhs cheaper OTR (first batch!) makes it that much easier to accept this - I've put it as a part of my upfront ownership cost!

Missed adding - the suspension is priced like it is because competent manufacturers in India didn't want to do something that's low volume. With Arka's relationship with AVO, they got it manufactured by them - but that adds to the cost. More than half the cost goes into taxes/ duties/ freight costs...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 17th January 2022 at 12:11.
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:15   #185
BHPian

Quote:
The aftermarket suspension is priced at about 1.1 lakhs. I was initially hesitant, considering this steep cost. A few BHPians had done this upgrade and the general view is that the ride and handling has improved.

My view? It is expensive, and I won't say the cost justifies the benefit if you're thinking in a linear manner.

The body roll is definitely well contained, and handling is of course better. With adjustable stiffness, you can also personalize your Thar should behave across the terrain you frequent. Even when I made it soft-sprung, it still didn't have the body roll that the stock shock and springs had.

But we're talking about a short wheelbase ladder frame jeep - a suspension mod cannot make it compliant like a Duster or Hexa. It makes it comparable to the likes of Endeavour, with the larger SUV still having the upper hand. The comparison shouldn't be "I paid a lakh plus, need the magic carpet" - that'll lead to disappointment. It improves on the stock behaviour - by a lot.

So I'd suggest you to test drive a couple of Thars with this suspension mod - some may have the recommended stiffness, others may make it a bit soft (like I've done). Do your research before you commit your purse.

I'm satisfied with this investment. And the fact that my Thar was couple of lakhs cheaper OTR (first batch!) makes it that much easier to accept this - I've put it as a part of my upfront ownership cost!

Missed adding - the suspension is priced like it is because competent manufacturers in India didn't want to do something that's low volume. With Arka's relationship with AVO, they got it manufactured by them - but that adds to the cost. More than half the cost goes into taxes/ duties/ freight costs...
Thank you for putting things into perspective, I have more clarity on how to approach this now. I'm expecting my Thar to be delivered before end of Feb. Guess I'll first spend some quality time on the stock suspension before deciding on an upgrade. Cheers!
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 17:04   #186

Re: 10,000 KM on the clock!

I really enjoyed reading your review and have been following your updates.
Quote:

Horns - while the stock horns have a classy, trumpet tone - I wanted to change this something more jeep-y, more so because of the placement of the horns themselves, to the right side of the battery. The problem with this placement? The horn is pretty audible inside the Thar!

What I have done is to get a pair of Hella Red Grills, connect them in parallel with the existing horn (with a separate relay and fuse), and have made it switchable between the two And the Red Grills are mounted behind the bumper, in front of the radiator - and are not as audible inside the jeep anymore! There is more than an inch between the horn and the radiator (which is also protected by the metal guard), so no risk of the horn hitting the radiator due to any untoward occurrences.
I face the same issue with sound of horn in my 2021 Thar and was looking for advice on best place to move the horn, M & M dealer didn't help and said there wasn't an alternate location and also mentioned the usual "wiring" & "warranty void" reasons. Interesting to see you have found a location and I was wondering on what placed the new horn near the radiator - did you have custom clamps welded on to a body part?

Also how does the Hella horns sound?
soloTraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 19:41   #187
Senior - BHPian

Re: 10,000 KM on the clock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloTraveller View Post
I really enjoyed reading your review and have been following your updates.
Thanks mate!
Quote:
I face the same issue with sound of horn in my 2021 Thar and was looking for advice on best place to move the horn, M & M dealer didn't help and said there wasn't an alternate location and also mentioned the usual "wiring" & "warranty void" reasons. Interesting to see you have found a location and I was wondering on what placed the new horn near the radiator - did you have custom clamps welded on to a body part?

Also how does the Hella horns sound?
One of the photos in last post of Page 12 (on the underbody protection) has clearer pics of the red grills peeping than from the post you've quoted - they are mounted using their own mounts on bolts that were already there in that place, didn't even have to remove the bumper, just the faux skid plate.

I wired them in parallel to the stock horns without touching the stock wiring, and have affixed a switch to toggle between them (like I've shown in one of the pics from the post you've quoted). So this is fully reversible if needed. I don't have pics of where exactly it's mounted, but am sure there is no additional clamp or mount points used.

Red grill is pretty common, and my accessories dealer connected it for me in his battery setup to hear it before I picked it. You should do that too - the biggest benefit is that I don't hear the horn as loudly in the cabin like the stock one does owing to its position in the engine bay!
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 11:47   #188
BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 25,000 KM's up! (Page 14)

This is such a wonderful thread and the plethora of innuendos made my giggle like a toddler.
Wishing you many more miles of 'eventful' ownership ph03n!x
brt_mhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 07:44   #189
Senior - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 25,000 KM's up! (Page 14)

This thread has just been wonderful and subservient, especially for diesel AT owners and those in waiting like me, since the time you started it ph03n!x. It's a referral guide for me as my wait continues for AT diesel itself. And your car is the only AT diesel Thar i've driven till date after my failed attempts to get a TD car. Thanks a bunch for taking time out to meet and let me drive it. It was a rainy day and you were enroute Hyderabad. Much appreciated

And the fact that DPF has not given any trouble to you gives me the much assurance of sorts after i've decided to take a calculated risk by choosing diesel. Your experience so far is good news to me. And my brush with BS6 diesel(Seltos) so far(since two years) has largely been trouble free, the reason why I was confident while opting for diesel with Thar.

Glad to know that you're thoroughly enjoying the Thar life. We'll catch up in Kovai sometime.

cheers,
bibendum.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 29th January 2022 at 08:10.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 21:36   #190
Senior - BHPian

Radiator Assembly Replacement - Service Action

I had posted a couple of weeks back on the service actions carried out on my Thar till date (in no specific order) - let me update this list with a few more details and line items that I missed out earlier -

Quote:
These are the service actions that my Thar has undergone -
  1. Thermal Bypass Valve Replacement (this is for the AT transmission - the valve had a leak) (20-Mar-2021 - Inspected) (28-Sep-2021 - Replaced)
  2. Wiper Motor Breather Cap Addition (20-Mar-2021)
  3. AT Shifter Screw Retighten (20-Mar-2021)
  4. Seat Shoulder Bezel Shaft Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  5. Remove 4WD Shift Cable from Mounting Clip (20-Mar-2021)
  6. Camshaft Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  7. Hood Catcher Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  8. Radiator inlet Hose Clamp Addition (28-Sep-2021)
  9. Instrument Cluster Software Update (28-Sep-2021)
  10. AT Pigtail Replacement (28-Sep-2021)
  11. Hood Latch Assembly Replacement (27-Nov-2021)
  12. E-Disconnect Connector Cap Addition (25-Sep-2021)
  13. Radiator Assembly (29-Jan-2022)
All of these have been carried out proactively - and except for the Thermal Bypass Valve, I never had an issue with any of these.

Service Action

The 13th item in this list of proactive service actions is the primary topic of this post. After driving across all kinds of terrain, freeway speeds, city traffic, and what not - typical use case that any vehicle's cooling system may go through (and then some), I have never encountered any issues with overheating or coolant leaks. So I was actually surprised when I got this call, and the conversation went like this -
Me: I have driven 23,000 KM. 4 Low, rough/ no terrain. Highway speeds. Why do we need this? This is more surprising than when you changed the camshaft of my Thar after 10,000 KM of use!

Tech: I have personally seen 3 other Thars that had minor Radiator leaks sir. M&M has a threshold such that if the same issue occurs in a specific number of vehicles, they issue a recall for all vehicles that has the problematic part from the same batch as a preemptive service action.

Me: <said a silent 'thank you' to M&M for proactive> Sure, let me come over on Saturday please.

Tech: As long as you are not intending to go on any long drives, that is fine...

Me: <wondering about the ~3000 KM round trip I just did in the first week of Jan...> Sure, no such plans - all thanks to the chinese virus!
Is Mahindra being overtly cautious?

Matter of fact - I had an issue with one of these 3 service actions/ recalls (Thermal Bypass Valve leaking), and even then I was far from being stranded or left in a lurch.

Also matter of fact - the thermal bypass valve dripped AT Oil in my parking 6 months after it was inspected initially, and my service center promptly took me in for a replacement. Yes, had this replacement occurred when they first inspected it earlier, even that might have been preempted.

But that is precisely the point - M&M has a very good proactive action plan in place, and my Thermal Bypass Valve experience goes on to prove the importance of this proactiveness.

So here is the Radiator that was replaced, with the new one. There is no visual difference. What is different, though, is in the metallurgy.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-01-old-new.jpg

Those who are used to the Radiators of the CJ/ MM jeeps may not believe how thick (or not!) a modern radiator assembly is
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-02-thickness-lack-.jpg

The job was completed as promised by my dealer (CAI Mahindra), who took plenty of safety precautions. And in spite of being short-staffed owing to the ongoing third wave, they were very efficient - and did not have any compromises in workmanship! Let me touch upon an additional issue too that they fixed, later in this post...

Now, a slightly off-topic subject - the length of the Radiator assembly itself.

Anyone who's looked up the 2020 Thar when it was launched knows about the low-hanging fruit.. errrr.. the Radiator.

M&M knew it too, and launched a Radiator guard as an accessory. Verdict is out if this should have been added at the factory, and if it is effective for offroad use cases - I have known of at least one Thar which had the assembly knocked out in offroading conditions...

But why is it so low-hanging in the first place?

This is the breakup of the components that makes the cooling system -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-03-flashback-cooling-system.jpg

The AC Condenser is of the same size of the Radiator, and is mounted behind it (when you see the vehicle from the front).

The Transmission cooler is for AT Transmissions, and circulates the transmission oil through the Thermal Bypass Valve to this component - which is mounted in front of the Radiator.

The Intercooler, which is mounted above the Radiator + AC Condensor, is as thick as both together! It is about ~6 inches broad too, and occupies as much space up top, pushing the Radiator + AC Condensor down by half a foot.

Can't the Intercooler be mounted elsewhere? Maybe. And it would have definitely made space for the Radiator + AC Condensor to be placed above the bumper/ front cross-member, safely out of sight/ harm.

M&M might have had their own engineering challenges, and decided to go with the current design, even if they knew the drawback of a low-hanging Radiator in a SWB 4x4 offroading vehicle. Let's see if they are able to improvise on this design eventually...

No More Flapping!

With the service action out of the way, let me show you how I have cut out the flapping noise in my Convertible Soft Top Thar -

I had bought this Faux Sheepskin seat belt shoulder pad - which proved useless in the Thar owing to its length, unless you want to remove it whenever you unbuckle. So one fine day when I was vacuuming the interiors, the bulb lit in my head...

...and this is what I did -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-04-flapping-noise-down-down.jpg

And voila! No more flapping noise - the CT will make it noisy in the cabin after ~80 KMPH, but no more slap slap.. slap slap slap from the rear windows flapping on the collapsible hand of the CT mechanism.

If you look closely, I have also tied a piece of sponge in a velcro tape at the top edge of this hand for the same purpose - this was my original jugaad for this purpose, and have not tried removing it yet.

If you have a convertible top, give it a shot!

That's all for now...

...this is how my jeep is taunting me, though. And I will get to increasing that 6% ghat/ offroad usage to something respectable pretty soon!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-05-taunt.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka
May I ask where you mounted and if so, with the stock straight mounting strip or a right angle mount?

Thanks
Quote:
Here is a better view of the Hella's mounting position - cross-refer this with the details of the connection I had posted earlier please!

The Z clamp is added to one of the bumper's mounting point
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-06-hella-1.jpg

While the current clearance with the radiator is about 1.5 inches (let the angle not fool you), I can make it about 2.5 inches if I worked on the clamp a bit. But if this has to damage the radiator in case of an accident, it would also mean that the front cross-member has been severely damaged, rendering the jeep un-drive-able anyways, especially if you have the underbody protection like I do...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-07-hella-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
We'll catch up in Kovai sometime.
Any plans for Kovai or KL? I might be coming up to B'lore next month, possibly...
ph03n!x is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 23:48   #191
Senior - BHPian

Obsessing over the rust spots under the body - and not just on the lower arm, even the actual chassis - was giving me enough sleepless nights that made my wife wonder if something's up...

I had to do something about it before the obsession east like rust into my marital life.

After a brief discussion with my FNG, he ordered Wurth Stone Chip and Underbody Protection, and a can of Lionnoil Silencer Coating.

Took 2 days to wash, scrub all surface rust, protect everything else with paper 'n tape, complete the work. My mechanic initially said the chassis need not be treated so much, what with the rust being only on the surface - and "saar, you also have the underbody plate saar - why do you want to spray everywhere..."

I had to insist - border on threaten - to make him procure one more liter and coat the chassis too well and nicely. I couldn't be there the whole time, so the photos are from my mechanic...

These Dutch babies were not in stock - we ordered 4 liters (4 cans) and had to wait for 3 days for the distributor to procure it
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-01-wurth.jpg

The jeep is all washed, scrubbed under the body to get rid of those surface rust spots, and paper'd up...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-02-did-tickle.jpg

...even where the sun doesn't shine!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-03-where-sun-doesnt-shine.jpg

This guy said this is probably the first vehicle that has taken two days of work to complete
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-04-work-progress.jpg

I chose the black coat - there is also a silver coat in this...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-05-silence.jpg

Before/ After...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-06-before.jpgTaste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-07-after.jpg

In other news, I started getting a klak-klak sound in the last 1,000 KM whenever I go over, say, a speed breaker, from right. Suspension? Arm? Shaft? Didn't feel like any of these. Considering that I am running Arka/ UVO suspensions, took the car to Arka first - didn't want my MASS to point fingers on the suspension!

I must appreciate Mr. Leelakrishnan, Mr. Karna Kadur and team - they took multiple test drives, checked each component - suspension and otherwise on the front right - even though they ruled out anything from the suspension. Mr. Leelakrishnan himself took a test drive to understand the sound after tightening everything out there - and guess where the sound was coming from?

The bushes on the hood had to be adjusted so that the edges of the bud deflector do not hit on the front grill at the front right corner - and it was him who figured it and adjusted it!

I sheepishly thanked him and team for helping me out - while we may think that the suspension is pricey (the actual part is not - it is the export duty + cargo from the UK that is making it!), their support is actually priceless! And even my FNG guy was appreciative of how well the underbody plates are designed and made - this is in addition to my MASS doing the same!

Well, with these out of the way, all that is left to travel - and enjoy the taste of freedom... if only work relents a bit
ph03n!x is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 23:23   #192
Senior - BHPian

Service Action #14

Is 13 an unlucky number? Sure, elevators skip from 12th to 14th floor. Friday the 13th is a thing for all those movie channels to play something scary.

But for service actions? Is having 13 service actions not a good omen?

Maybe. Maybe not.

But numerology or luck is not the reason for M&M to issue the 14th Service Action for my Thar, 3 weeks from the previous one - not when it comes to fuse ratings

I got the call last evening about a radiator fuse replacement service action, and requested them to do it at home - being a weekday, I had my calendars grinning at me like they are Jason and his mom of Friday The 13th fame!

The technician promptly called me at 10 AM, setup an appointment and came over. M&M is changing the Radiator Fan's 60 Amp fuse to 50 Amps - so that the fuses melt sooner if there is an overload in the circuit instead of other, more severe damages/ hazard. The 60 Amp spare fuse too gets a makeover.

Old and New
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-01-fuses.jpg

The one circled red is the live fuse, and the blue is the spare..
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-02-replaced.jpg

M&M didn't just change the fuses, and say 'its done!' - they also updated the quick help/ description of the fuses. Thoughtful, ain't it?!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-03-old-vs-new-fuse-ratings.png

It was a two-minute job, swap the fuses, update the description with the sticker, check ignition, and there - the list of service actions no more stuck with #13th!

Here is the updated list -
Quote:

Service Action

1. Thermal Bypass Valve Replacement (this is for the AT transmission - the valve had a leak) (20-Mar-2021 - Inspected) (28-Sep-2021 - Replaced)
  2. Wiper Motor Breather Cap Addition (20-Mar-2021)
  3. AT Shifter Screw Retighten (20-Mar-2021)
  4. Seat Shoulder Bezel Shaft Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  5. Remove 4WD Shift Cable from Mounting Clip (20-Mar-2021)
  6. Camshaft Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  7. Hood Catcher Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  8. Radiator inlet Hose Clamp Addition (28-Sep-2021)
  9. Instrument Cluster Software Update (28-Sep-2021)
  10. AT Pigtail Replacement (28-Sep-2021)
  11. Hood Latch Assembly Replacement (27-Nov-2021)
  12. E-Disconnect Connector Cap Addition (25-Sep-2021)
  13. Radiator Assembly (29-Jan-2022)
  14. Fuse for Radiator's fan (22-02-2022)

I had missed updating about this, remembered this today -
Quote:
...Let me touch upon an additional issue too that they fixed, later in this post...
When I had gone for the #13, I also complained that my engine is starting to sound like age-old M&M Diesels - the sounded pretty off!

The tech head of CAI Mahindra - again, shows how experienced he is - opened the hood and looked at the bay.

And just kept his right hand on the engine cover - the ruckus stopped completely, like the engine got blessed by his hands, and the engine purred like an adult Great Dane!

Un-bless it, it is back to creating a ruckus, Great Dane gone mad

The cause?

See the 3 red-circled studs that holds the cover in place? These plastic studs are screwed into place, and hold the left side of the engine cover.
The Blue ones metallic. If the plastic ones are not tight-fit, they start rattling with each bark of the Great Dane - causing the entire engine cover to rattle, causing the ruckus!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-05-engine-cover-mount.jpg

And no wonder it causes a ruckus. This baby is H E A V Y padded. No wonder the hood does not have any insulation - it's all here!!!
I would guesstimate it will be about 7 - 8 KG, and if its legs are not firmly in place, they can definitely slap around a bit!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-06-h-e-v-y.jpg

So if you are like me - wonder about each sniff and cough I hear, and lose sleep over something extra (and not in a good way!) from the engine bay, maybe check this?!!
ph03n!x is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 21:46   #193
Senior - BHPian

Two Thars climbed up the Blue Mountain...

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-01.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-02.jpg

...to mix business with dirt-y pleasure.

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-03.jpg

The third joined in to conquer some terrain...

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-04.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-05.jpg

...and the three watched the sun go down together!

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-06.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-07.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-08.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-09.jpg

While I'd carried my new toy along, we couldn't let it loose until late in the evening. So nothing great came out of it - another time for that!!

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-10.jpg
ph03n!x is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 23:16   #194
BHPian

Quote:

While I'd carried my new toy along, we couldn't let it loose until late in the evening. So nothing great came out of it - another time for that!!

Been following your ownership thread for some time now. Hope to see many more updates from the four tyred and the four winged toys

That last pic, is that an intentional edit? Colors look like they are a still from a video, but the grain is very much like its from a RAW file. Whats going on?
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 09:51   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
That last pic, is that an intentional edit? Colors look like they are a still from a video, but the grain is very much like its from a RAW file. Whats going on?
Thanks mate!

The last pic is what happens when you fly the drone without adequate light, and you let Google Photos "fix" it

We had stuff to do, and by the time we got done, it was late - even that little offroad was enroute.

@Capt.Arun (4343 is his petrol auto HT) and I have promised to go on a no-work-just-offroad drive. Soon...!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 28th February 2022 at 09:56.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks