Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2022, 02:08   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT - 2 years & 42,000 KMs! (Page 15)

42,000 KM in 2 years. That is about 15,000 KM from when I started planning for mega updates to this thread, procrastinated, changed jobs, procrastinated, started shuttling between cities, and procrastinated some more.

So guess now is as good a time as any - though I won't be doing mega updates (procrastinate more!). Will make a few mini-updates, covering my life with the Thar for 41,960 KM in exactly two years.

Let me start with the financials - fuel, cost of ownership, stuff that I hope my wife never reads...

Mileage

• The lifetime average is 11.99 KMPL
  • My usage is 67.2% Highways, 27.1% City and 5.7% Off-roads (that is a measly ~2,500 KM off the paved roads on a vehicle meant for exactly that
  • Worst mileage is 9.84 KMPL when most of that tank went into 4x4, best mileage is 14.09 KMPL
  • Cost per Liter of fuel has been ₹91.54 per liter weighted - I have been feeding the jeep with ₹3,15,584 worth of Diesel so far, at the rate of ₹7.63 per KM!
  • Reliance (28% of refills), IOC (26.5%), Shell (23%) and HP (15%) are where I have been tanking up. But with the recent disparity in fuel prices, Reliance and Shell have dropped out, and BP has added 7.5% to its account
  • I am not reporting mileage-by-brand, as this will be extremely skewed. Thar's mileage will vary if I am driving on this side of 90 KMPH or not, and it does not do justice to the brands. That said, my observation is all of them are on par under similar driving conditions
  • The MID is, on an average, 1.52 KMPL optimistic! If your Thar's MID says you are getting 12.5 KMPL, you are getting somewhere around 11 KMPL
  • The MID will not go below 7 KMPL. So if you are on a poor-mileage-spiel <cough, cough, mStallions> and your MID is saying 7 KMPL, do not bet your tank range or DTE based on that!
  • The best tank range I have gotten is 740 KM
If you have been following my mileage reports from earlier (here, here and here), my mileage has been increasing from 11.55 KMPL to 11.61 KMPL to 11.93 KMPL, and 11.99 KMPL being the current. While I have not bothered much about the mileage, what makes the beast more efficient can be summarized in 2 words.

C r u i s e
C o n t r o l

The best mileages I have clocked have invariably been using/ over-using/ abusing cruise control
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img202211191304542.jpg

This is from a recent travel between Hyderabad and Madras, where I set a GPS speed of 99 KMPH in the ORR, and 90 KMPH rest of the highways. The average speed for this trip was 76 KMPH, and I ended up with my best mileage of 14.09 KMPL after crawling through peak Madras traffic - MID was 15.4 at the end of the ordeal.

Overall Spends

Right, with that done, let me look at the other expenditures -

Name:  40k  Spend.png
Views: 1607
Size:  23.5 KB

Insurance
  • Own-damage insurance for 2nd year came to ₹ 31,007 (ICICI) for an IDV of ₹ 12,31,912 - coverage includes Consumables, Engine Protect Plus, Return to Invoice, Key Protect, RSA, Zero Depreciation, Tyre Protect
  • For the 3rd Year (current), I paid ₹ 22,255 (Tata AIG) for an IDV of ₹ 12,00,000, covering Consumables, Engine & Gear box protection, Key Replacement, Loss of Personal Belongings, RSA, Zero Depreciation, Tyre Protect
Mods/ Accessories
  • The big tickets under this heading are Arka/ Avo suspension, 3M full body PPF (except rear door), Under-boy protection, and the TJ-style 7-slat grill
  • While I have covered all the accessories elsewhere in this thread, I will post some updates esp. on the Avo suspension later
Maintenance and Running Costs
  • If I had followed the recommended schedule, I would have spent about ₹ 0.85 per KM on maintenance
  • I carry out additional stuff - changing engine oil at the 1,000 KM service, changing the differential oils every service, etc. This has increased my cost per KM on maintenance to ₹ 0.95 per KM
  • I am planning to switch to 5,000 KM intervals for engine oil changes now on, with the M&M Maximile oil itself, so this cost will increase a bit more
An interesting trend on the cost of consumables -

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-def-trend.png
If you are an entrepreneur, think about opening up a DEF manufacturing unit - the prices have increased by 70% per liter in 1.5 years!!!

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-consumables-trend.png
Among the other maintenance consumables, Engine oil prices have gone up by 26% per liter, while that of differential oils are up by 20% per liter. Prices of the filters have remained unchanged though!

DEF, DPF, SCR

As always, I have had ZERO DPF related issues with my Thar through the 40,000+ KM of ownership. The closest I have come to having an issue was this -

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20221123_002858_538.jpg
This came up right after the 30,000 KM service, and went off after about 3 driving cycles/ 50 KM of driving

What was interesting, my Thar had just about gotten a service action for replacement of Engine Wiring Harness, and I was awaiting parts to arrive. As soon as this came up, I raised my panic flag because I was about to do a road-trip for work (~2000 KM), and didn't want to be stuck. Thanks to Mr. Sihabuddeen and Mr. Ronald (M&M), Mr. Dilip & team (CAI Mahindra), getting the part was expedited so that I can travel without this worry in my mind.

The others were only DEF related warning, when I am running low on DEF, with a headroom of 2,400 KM before I am stranded.

I have been using the Thar in city traffic exclusively and continuously for about 2,000 KM in Coimbatore, and 1,000 KM in Hyderabad. Never faced a manual regen situation. Heck, my daily usage for the last 3 weeks were 10 KM to and fro office in peak traffic, which takes me about 30 minutes.

I strongly believe that at least M&M does not have DPF malaise, and anyone who faced one in their Thar invariably changed their Engine Wiring Harness - which leads me to believe it was a wiring issue rather than a DPF/ SCR system related issue.

What would be nice though - having a DEF level indicator in the MID, along with a DPF filter %/ indicator. M&M, please give us a software update with these!

DEF Consumption

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-def-consumption.png
I have not decoded why I got a great DEF mileage during the first 10,000 and the last 10,000 KM of usage - nothing stands out when I look at my pattern

Service Action

I had one - the Engine Wiring Harness replacement -
  1. Thermal Bypass Valve Replacement (this is for the AT transmission - the valve had a leak) (20-Mar-2021 - Inspected) (28-Sep-2021 - Replaced)
  2. Wiper Motor Breather Cap Addition (20-Mar-2021)
  3. AT Shifter Screw Retighten (20-Mar-2021)
  4. Seat Shoulder Bezel Shaft Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  5. Remove 4WD Shift Cable from Mounting Clip (20-Mar-2021)
  6. Camshaft Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  7. Hood Catcher Replacement (20-Mar-2021)
  8. Radiator inlet Hose Clamp Addition (28-Sep-2021)
  9. Instrument Cluster Software Update (28-Sep-2021)
  10. AT Pigtail Replacement (28-Sep-2021)
  11. Hood Latch Assembly Replacement (27-Nov-2021)
  12. E-Disconnect Connector Cap Addition (25-Sep-2021)
  13. Radiator Assembly (29-Jan-2022)
  14. Fuse for Radiator's fan (22-02-2022)
  15. Engine Wiring Harness (24-06-2022)
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-engine-harness-old.jpg
The original part that came with my Thar - part # 1801AW500400N Rev F

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-engine-harness-new-flew-.jpg
This guy flew in for me - thank you M&M and CAI teams!

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-engine-harness-new.jpg
The revised part # is 1801AW500950N

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20221123_010827_780.jpg
All installed, in place - ready to be tested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
There are service alerts issued for all-new Thars:-

1) Turbocharger actuator link replacement for diesels.
2) Auto-tensioner and belt replacements for all Thars - petrol and diesel.

Do get your all-new Thars checked for these at your nearest Mahindra service center.
These recalls have not started reflecting for me, this has been posted in Sep '22 - makes me think either these are not official or do not apply to my Thar.

Driver Footwell getting warm/ hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Last evening I realized that the driver side floor was heating up - I was wearing a fair of floaters and I could really feel the heat. Its was a normal drive - 35 minutes in bearable traffic with sedate driving.

This is not the first time I am experiencing this though. This happened a few times in the initial few months. I did raise it at the 1K km service but since I couldn't reproduce the instance at that point in time, the issue went unattended. I would also like to point out that this heating issue didn't surface in the last 4/5 months.

I have read about owners complaining about this issue in other forums but not sure anyone could pin-point the exact reason behind it or get to a work-around.

Any views?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phkr19 View Post
It’s been less than a week since the delivery of our Thar, haven’t had much chances of taking the vehicle out for a spin besides the usual grocery runs.

Took the vehicle out for a quick run around the city (30kms), once back and parked observed that the floor of the driver side foot well was hot. Vehicle is a LX Diesel AT HT.
I still haven’t gotten the floor mats installed, is this heat expected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
Has anyone had the Thar floor heating up too much?
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've never experienced so much heat from any other vehicle. My feet felt so warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
I usually drive with bare feet, and did the same with the Thar. I was shocked to find the floor blazing hot. Asked the sales advisor about it and he casually brushed it off saying 'gaadi running mein hai na'. I've never experienced such heat even after continuously running a car for 15 hours, but such heat from the Thar was really abnormal. It was the same case with both Diesel MT and Petrol AT. Was it a one-off case or has anyone else also experienced it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Experienced floor heating up on driver's side. It was more than warm and this was with flip-flops. This is the first time I'm experiencing this in 5300 kms. Any update guys? If yes, what exactly was the problem pointed out and what is the solution?
Quote:
I was told that the cat-con is placed somewhere under the driver's side footboard. And there is no heat insulation. Moreover, this occurrence is very random in my experience and not at all consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
This occurs when you increase the temperature in the AC (turn the dial clockwise, towards red) - do you remember if this was the case when you experienced the warmth in the tunnel?

I have not gotten a solution though
Quote:
No Phoenix. I rarely have the aircon on - I have my window rolled half way down. I don't think its linked to the AC, not at least in my case.
Quote:
Yesterday was the first time I experienced this. Nice to know Thar has heated floor too.

Yes, the knob was almost at the centre. I don't think by heater they mean floor heater.
Quote:
This is interesting, you and me experience the heated floor feature when the temperature knob is dialled towards the middle - but @slipstream11 has this feature without even using the AC!

All - have you encountered this heated floor (heated transmission tunnel, rather) feature? Was it with the AC dialled towards heating, or not related to AC at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
I cannot really answer your question since I have never gotten behind the wheel without shoes (boots rather), so no way to tell even if the dang thing was heating up.

However, given the nature of the Thar's AC, I won't be surprised if most of us almost always, if not permanently, have the AC dial set close to the centre albeit on the blue (cooling) side. So, am guessing this may just be a coincidence and not causation or even related to what yall are experiencing? IDK... just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
There is heat build up during long drives irrespective of AC settings.
I was assuming this could be because of full underbody protection.
Underbody armor certainly restricts the ventilation towards the underbody.
I have the initial version of ARKA's radiator guard. Later, I saw the design was changed (air vents similar to stock guard) due to heating of driver footwell.
Quote:
This is exactly what I'm facing. I don't even have any mats installed so heat effect is quite prominent. It's so hot that it's impossible to keep hand near the transmission tunnel/driver side floor for few seconds.

Nope nope. Nothing to do with underbody protection. Mine has none, still facing this issue.

Btw for reference, mine is 2022 MY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Yes the heating issue is something else.
I have a Diesel MT HT (2021 January) with Bimbra radiator guard and I do 300-400km drives regularly but have never faced any heating issue ever, even in B2B traffic with or without the AC on and Knob in blue or red zone.

Needs to be checked further.
I finally have the official answer to this "feature / mystery" -

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20221123_014141_193.jpg
This is a part of the exhaust assembly, and is downstream of the DPF/ Catcon - and gets as hot as 400° C apparently.

So my hypothesis that the heating has to do with the AC Temperature knob being set to mid/ warm/ heating is out of the window - there is no lines related to the air conditioning anywhere near the driver footwell! And @Slipstream11 got it right - it is related to the DPF/ Catcon - their downflow, to be precise.

During my recent trip from Hyderabad to Madras, I was driving with the temperature dial midway for a few 100 KMs and there was no heating. And then I noticed it -

The MID flash something about DPF being clogged (the fraction second warning that does not stay). And then it started - the footwell started to get warm and eventually hot. It lasted for about 30 min before things started going back to normal. And during this time, the mileage dropped 2 KMPL even though I was doing constant speeds, mostly on cruise control.

So I guess if your Diesel Thar's footwell is getting warm, it means your DPF/ SCR is working fine - that is one worry less, ain't it?!!

Workaround? Get something like ULS 7D Economy Mats from Autofurnish - you will still feel the warmth, but it never becomes uncomfortable.

That's it today! I will post an update on AVO Suspension soon - as well as a few other itsy bitsy updates!
ph03n!x is online now   (62) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 02:51   #212
BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT - 2 years & 42,000 KMs! (Page 15)

@ph03n!x

Great review, I just crossed 16000 kms in the past 9 months of ownership (Thar Petrol Manual HT). Now in Feb, the 1st year of warranty will expire and planning to upgrade the 2ns year from 3rd Party to Comprehensive. How much extra did you have to pay for it. Because NCB will be calculated as well.

I am also keen on upgrading to AVO but waiting on the IronMan Suspension review. Have not found anything yet on the Internet about it, especially for Thar.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:26   #213
Senior - BHPian

Your ownership review of the THAR is pure Gold Phoenix. Your car has been wonderful to you too and it’s so nice to see how M&M has been super active in addressing issues, if any.

Absolutely loved reading every bit of it and will continue to look for your updates.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 06:45   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
@ph03n!x

Great review, I just crossed 16000 kms in the past 9 months of ownership (Thar Petrol Manual HT). Now in Feb, the 1st year of warranty will expire and planning to upgrade the 2ns year from 3rd Party to Comprehensive. How much extra did you have to pay for it. Because NCB will be calculated as well.

I am also keen on upgrading to AVO but waiting on the IronMan Suspension review. Have not found anything yet on the Internet about it, especially for Thar.
Thanks @swunkjyn!

Were you implying insurance instead of warranty? If so, here's what I paid for the second and the third year -
Quote:
Insurance
  • Own-damage insurance for 2nd year came to ₹ 31,007 (ICICI) for an IDV of ₹ 12,31,912 - coverage includes Consumables, Engine Protect Plus, Return to Invoice, Key Protect, RSA, Zero Depreciation, Tyre Protect
  • For the 3rd Year (current), I paid ₹ 22,255 (Tata AIG) for an IDV of ₹ 12,00,000, covering Consumables, Engine & Gear box protection, Key Replacement, Loss of Personal Belongings, RSA, Zero Depreciation, Tyre Protect
My dealership's insurance wing gets me multiple quotes, and I pick from them. I missed checking/ including return to invoice in the 3rd year insurance, though I get personal belongings cover.

I'll post an update on my AVO experience shortly (?!), but do not have much of info on Ironman. From my usage of AVO from 18k KM till now (~24,000 KM of use), and the responsiveness of the team at Arka Motorsports, I'll definitely vouch for the AVO though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Your ownership review of the THAR is pure Gold Phoenix. Your car has been wonderful to you too and it’s so nice to see how M&M has been super active in addressing issues, if any.

Absolutely loved reading every bit of it and will continue to look for your updates.
Thanks mate
ph03n!x is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 07:02   #215
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
@ph03n!x

Great review, I just crossed 16000 kms in the past 9 months of ownership (Thar Petrol Manual HT). Thar.
Wow thats a lot of driving you’ve done in a relatively short time frame..
I have completed 21-22 months of ownership of my Thar - since 2021 Feb. But I have just about done 17900 kms in it. Must Drive More…
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 12:08   #216
BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 2 years & 42,000 km (Page 15)

Quote:
Thanks @swunkjyn!

Were you implying insurance instead of warranty? If so, here's what I paid for the second and the third year -

My dealership's insurance wing gets me multiple quotes, and I pick from them. I missed checking/ including return to invoice in the 3rd year insurance, though I get personal belongings cover.

I'll post an update on my AVO experience shortly (?!), but do not have much of info on Ironman. From my usage of AVO from 18k KM till now (~24,000 KM of use), and the responsiveness of the team at Arka Motorsports, I'll definitely vouch for the AVO though.

Thanks mate
Thank you for your reply and my dealership has been contacted; they are waiting for me to return and have guaranteed me of the lowest price. The wait for 5 Door Thar is the sole justification for not upgrading the suspension. I want to see the finished product because that will help decide whether or not I want to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wow thats a lot of driving you’ve done in a relatively short time frame..
I have completed 21-22 months of ownership of my Thar - since 2021 Feb. But I have just about done 17900 kms in it. Must Drive More…
Yes, Dada, dropping off and picking up our daughter from school is the everyday drive. With a daily distance of 25 to 30 km, five days a week equals about 150 kilometres. Additionally, we seize the opportunity to travel within or outside of Bangalore nearly every week. By March, I will undoubtedly have travelled 25000 km. I find Thar to be very addictive to drive .
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 13:42   #217
BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 2 years & 42,000 km (Page 15)

Quote:
42,000 KM in 2 years. That is about 15,000 KM from when I started planning for mega updates to this thread, procrastinated, changed jobs, procrastinated, started shuttling between cities, and procrastinated some more.

So guess now is as good a time as any - though I won't be doing mega updates (procrastinate more!). Will make a few mini-updates, covering my life with the Thar for 41,960 KM in exactly two years.
Now this is what should be promoted to an Official review. The information that actually matters, pure facts/numbers, no drama and absolutely no hidden agenda to bash or love a brand.

Beautifully gathered and presented I must say. The crux was that not once did you cry about anything that went wrong, the list of niggles is not anything new irrespective of the brand for a newly launched vehicle, but taking a bullet to ones chest and saying "yes that should fix it" is what a true motorhead endures to the max.

Thanks a ton for this and looking forward for many more.

The anxiety I had over the FE on Thar was diffused with your data. Its a decent average and something we can live with. Now the big question I want to ask you is I am looking for a tourer and Thar looks like a great choice, Can I buy a new Thar today and expect it to be fit and refined ? This will be my secondary car purely for travelling the length and breadth of the country, road or without it.

Last edited by skyocean : 24th November 2022 at 13:44.
skyocean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 14:36   #218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
The anxiety I had over the FE on Thar was diffused with your data. Its a decent average and something we can live with. Now the big question I want to ask you is I am looking for a tourer and Thar looks like a great choice, Can I buy a new Thar today and expect it to be fit and refined ? This will be my secondary car purely for travelling the length and breadth of the country, road or without it.
The short answer is Yes, the Thar is ideal for India. Daily driver. Tourer etc. Small family. Travel light/ Travel Smart. Certain functional upgrades. And you’re good to go.
There is plenty of information across multiple threads about the Thar as a Grand Tourer. Do have a look around the Forum.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 15:34   #219
BHPian

Its hight time that Mahindra should work on Electric Thar with a range of around 450kms on the same platform! It will be good to save on fuel costs while enjoying the drive. I hope they started working on it.
Old 23rd January 2023, 08:38   #220
BANNED

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)

2 year old Thar. Fuel efficiency snippet.
23 months of Thar Petrol HT AT ownership. Thar becomes 2 years old in my hands on Feb 14.
Driving the vehicle around Southern India multiple times.
Done 20540kms so far.
Just a snippet about the fuel efficiency from this weekend’s trip to Ooty and back.
Route taken- Bangalore-Mysore(Expressway till Mandya and service road after that). Bandipur-Sigur-Ooty.
In Ooty a bit of local loafing and some grassland/ trail driving with a little 4x4 work and working out the Hill descent etc. Driven to Parsons Valley and Pykara and so on.
Return journey was made via Doddabetta-Kotagiri-Aravenu-Sathyamangalam-Mettur-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. Winding Country roads with old Banyan trees and all. State highways mostly. Fast moving light local traffic. Quite a few small towns. Usual traffic. Great road surfaces. And then the highway after that.
Total distance covered was about 750kms.
I filled 36.3 litres before leaving Bangalore.
I then put in 34.32 litres in Ooty after having covered 300kms. This means an FE figure of 8.74kmpl. Not bad considering the juice needed for the Sigur climb.
And then in Dharmapuri yesterday I put 36.62 litres. At this time I had covered 317 kms. So this is 8.65kmpl. Not bad considering the soft off road and trail drive and all plus the state highways, small town traffic and highway.
I ve driven another 140kms of highway since then and havent yet filled up.
During this trip, on the highway I have ensured to drive between 90-100kmph. Mostly cruise control on, even on the State highways on the way back. Did 110 kmph at the very max very occasionally and for very short bursts.
You will see that the MiD showed deadly numbers like 13.8 and 15.4kmpl. All this was on our Expressway when the vehicle was driven at 90kmph max.
But clearly all these readings are pretty optimistic!
Attached Thumbnails
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-dd5993a75a3b4a42a93163fbff28398d.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-9aa918baa4e940e2a27da5fe432c1b7b.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-9be07c0ebe7a4e40a57081a24d5fba96.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-f71b448650b540d5b0009635c8e09022.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-e46cfdb9bd81411d8e758bb2de6a9dd4.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-8304e3ec5b474f369c1b866a5519a6fa.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-db6cf91509a44d5aa5e74e7c8d7a87dd.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-5d62f002b31d4b3580768073691d0780.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-0b4a85b901944154a7ffa2e68e7a6d34.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-5601aa1e25ab4d8ca8e4d7c8d35cf88f.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-f038343018de4030bb35d7f119cee850.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-bfd266b3c0144542aee6ee043a3220a8.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-89b5d811962d4316a72c6a3e3ea14df9.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-c531f502aa4042668eee7d139240530f.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-82262408084044258bd8436c6d8884cc.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-a87ab2ec87c34695a1c1460ce0fc55a9.jpeg  

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-77d3db45dd5341f99545cf04395d9bea.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 20:21   #221
Senior - BHPian

50,000 KM Update!

So Planet Earth's spun around 864 times from this...

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-thar-delivery.jpg

...to this, on April 3rd, 2023 -

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230623_164648_102.jpg

And I have procrastinated for another 213 rotations to update this thread So here goes, let me give a 10k KM update first, and then get on to more interesting stuff.

Running Costs and Maintenance

Kitna Deti Hai?
Name:  Mileage  50k.png
Views: 870
Size:  5.0 KB

Fuel is only a part of the story - the other is in maintenance:
Name:  Running Costs  50k.png
Views: 879
Size:  3.1 KB

I paid ₹9.20 per KM for Fuel + Maintenance in the last 10,000 KM.
But the joy the Thar brings through every one of those - priceless!

While on the topic of running costs, I used to post about how DEF cost have been sky-rocketing. But hey, there has been a price correction, and this time it has- surprise, surprise - reduced!And by 14%, at that. Wonder what the reason is, but am not complaining - Thanks you, M&M. And whoever else is responsible for that!

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-def.png

Like always, I had ZERO issues with my exhaust system. In the last 10K KM, about 55% of my usage has been highways, 40% in city traffic and 5% in ghats/ offroad.

My driving style has changed quite a bit after I got the Thar. No more pedal to metal, a lot more relaxed - and what better way to prove this, than with an almost unworn pair of brake pads/ shoes?

Do these looks like 50K KM young to you?!!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-brakepads.png

Niggles

By and large, this jeep has been niggle-free for after the first ~2000 KM (when I faced the water-in-fuel niggle). But the telltale lamps for ESP Warning, HDC Malfunction and HHC Malfunction came up twice within 2,000 KM of run -

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-error.jpg

I have no idea what they meant - the fluid levels were all fine, and the warnings go off after a turning off the Thar, and turning it back on. It never came back after the 48k KM mark (ODO is close to 52k KM now). I did not get a chance to get to MASS to check the error codes soon enough. And the driving experience was unaffected - I didn't get to see if HHC is working, I have never used HDC. And ESP, well - I am not nuts enough to check if ESP is working or not when the warning is calling out a malfunction

So yeah, one of those mysteries...

Addition to the list of Accessories

When have BHPians ever stopped with fill it - shut it - forget it?! I ended up spending ₹41,330 bucks more. Where?

Horns - I had Hella Red Grill from April '21, but wanted something Thar-y. So out went the Hellas, replaced by Bosch Europa Black Grill -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img20221128185514.jpg
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img20221128185635.jpg
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img20221128185713.jpg

Rearview Mirror mounted Dual-channel Dashcam -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-dashcam.jpg
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img202306231759122.jpg

If you've been following this thread from before, you'd have known that I had a 70mai Dual Channel Rearview Dashcam for more than 2 years now. So why this? While the full story is a post for another day, I wanted a dashcam that also has a GPS module to record vehicle speeds - and found this to be good going by the specs and reviews. Will make a separate post reviewing it once I have it installed and used it for a few months.

And then I got this -because of this (Shockingly, the Mahindra Thar doesn't have a security system / alarm)!
(Images are from Amazon listing, but works perfectly for the Thar)
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-steering-lock.jpg

Closing Shots

What is better than a convertible top Thar? A convertible top with the CT removed completely!

I do this once in a while on farm tracks/ estate roads...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230623_184826_157.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230623_184826_242.jpg

...but topless or not, a Convertible Top means your clean-car OCD will get triggered more often than usual. Whenever you take off the top, you will find nooks and crevices to clean/ vacuum!

This was after a closed top run in dusty conditions for a few hours -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230623_184740_171.jpg

Closing off with a couple of clicks from Nelliampathy, with multiple generations of jeeps - I should maybe calls this as "Treat For Thy Eyes" section!

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230623_185135_327.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-photo_20230623_201859.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230623_185135_517.jpg

(to be continued... soon!)
ph03n!x is online now   (55) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 10:28   #222
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)

Congrats on the 50 . Mine will probably get there in 10 years .

Quote:
Like always, I had ZERO issues with my exhaust system. In the last 10K KM, about 55% of my usage has been highways, 40% in city traffic and 5% in ghats/ offroad.
Your highway driving is helping here.

Quote:
[center]And then I got this -because of this (Shockingly, the Mahindra Thar doesn't have a security system / alarm)!
(Images are from Amazon listing, but works perfectly for the Thar)
What are the odds, man! Out of the zillion choices available out there, I am also using the exact same lock since 3 months.

Quote:
What is better than a convertible top Thar? A convertible top with the CT removed completely!
Stunning.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 17:47   #223
BHPian

Re: 50,000 KM Update!

Quote:
[center][h3]

My driving style has changed quite a bit after I got the Thar. No more pedal to metal, a lot more relaxed - and what better way to prove this, than with an almost unworn pair of brake pads/ shoes?

[/left]
This is crazy good, No change in 50k kms. But you are right, its best to be gentle with the throttle in the Thar, I drive a P AT and its characteristics are very close to a diesel engine because of its torquey nature.
zombiedriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 15:12   #224
Senior - BHPian

Re: 50,000 KM Update!

Here are a few obvious and not-so-obvious observations from my ownership of this jeep over 52,000 KM of use - interspersed with some random pics. Because, why not?!

Looks

++ Been 2 years and 7 months since I brought home the Thar, and there are more than a lakh of Thars on the roads by now. And yet someone will turn back and give a second glance at your jeep when you are driving. You will find yourself admiring it in your parking whenever you look out your sit out or walk past - never gets tiring

++ Going topless is S E X Y, 'nuf said. Brings that squealing child even in middle aged and retired "kids"

++ The formidable road presence combined with ease of AT makes it a more relaxed daily driver - the frequent second glances from fellow road users, and smiles from kids are added bonuses

++ The vehicle is a hit with the fairer sex. Gets me into trouble with the wife more often than not - no amount of convincing that it is not for the middle-aged driver with a receding hairline seem to work, I had to retort with the same coin when the boys give her (the jeep, actually!) a second glance

++ While all the colours look awesome on the Thar, I think black is the best. Black hides panel gaps, creases and shut-lines pretty well in any car (which is why all of mine have been black!), and that is definitely the case with the Thar. Mind you, all those wide gaps and shut lines are consistent, and "by design" to give the jeep-y look!

++ Flippty jillion mods and customization options to truly make your jeep, well, yours!

No place is out of place for this jeep...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230701_142138_348.jpg

Engine and Transmission

++ The mHawk is a brilliant mill - it is pretty refined, has adequate oomph to propel the Thar to silly speeds. And that growl at 3500 RPM is pretty addictive!

++ 650+ KM tank range when driven sedately on highways, and can't get worse than 550KM is a blessing esp. when on ghats and offroad tracks. Blessing for someone as finicky as I am on where I tank up (close to 50% of all my refills across 52k KM have been in just 3 fuel stations, one each in each of the city I frequent!)

++ Revvs and catches up with what you want caught up with, thanks to the brilliantly tuned Aisin 6AT

<> Very rarely does the AT hunt, that too only when driven hard - which, more often than not, you won't

-- 2.2 liter mill + TC AT + aerodynamics of a brick. Best case mileage of 11 to 12 KMPL under your usual driving style and road conditions - milking anything more from the Diesel mill will need conscious effort

-- The 6AT cannot replace the pure mechanical engine-braking offered by the MT - not till the 3rd gear when the lock clutch engages. Will need the use of HDC (which makes screeching brake noise - like a rodent is being tortured), or frequent braking

All it takes is a drive through the mud to recolour your jeep!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230701_142138_381.jpg

Build, Ride and Handling

++ Go anywhere - good roads, bad roads, no roads. Doesn't matter

++ The AVO suspension makes the Thar 75% better than what it came with, and has been real helpful in me making several HYD-CBE-HYD round trips effortlessly

++ Sound mechanicals, rugged build - No rattles after 52k KM of abuse - I do carry a foam tape in my boot though, to take care of the minor adjustments required every now and then!

<> Even with the aftermarket suspension, the vehicle is never "sorted". You will feel the continuous vertical/ horizontal movements. Make no mistake, while these movements definitely reduced by 75% compared to the stock suspension with the AVOs, you cannot change the vehicle's inherent design - SWB, high GC, ladder frame build. This does not bother me or the family anymore though

<> While I am used to this, the steering feel is not remotely the best. The driver will feel each minute variations of the surface under the wheels as feedback. The steering is pretty vague at speeds - which is not a bad thing, considering how easy it will be to topple this vehicle had it gotten the nervousness of, say, the Harrier. Newer Thars feel better in the area, maybe my 52k run tyres are cause too, will know after the impending change

-- W I D E turning radius makes it a chore to plan tight U-turns, or driving in narrow lanes

-- This might sound rhetoric - but anyone who's used to a monocoque kind of a ride will be put off by the ride comfort of the Thar. While the ride is superior to any of the previous jeeps that Mahindra's made, you will still have to give it time, use it as your exclusive ride for a few thousand clicks - it definitely is an acquired tast, this jeep is!

-- May eventually have to invest in at least the transparent "window" parts of the CT - they get scratched easy, and as an offroader, this vehicle does not need Sherlock Holmes to find how they are getting scratched

Batman...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230708_101531.jpg

Interiors and Features

++ Perfectly functional cockpit, with most controls falling in your hands like expected

++ Interiors are sufficient for the purpose the vehicle is built for. Have not aged at all in 2.5+ years of regular use - esp. coz mine is a CT and keeps getting aligned with our dusty environment

++ Seats and interior space is comfortable enough as a 2-seater, or a 2-adult and 2-kid tourer

<> The MID overrules you - you'll have to wait for it's message/ indication to timeout before you can navigate to where you want. This is a minor irritant, say, when refueling and you want to reset the Trip meter and AFE - but will have to wait for the MID to complete it's messaging spree (wheel direction, gear, etc.) before I can reset and continue my journey - forcing me to move out of the filling station, park, and carry out what I want. The better approach will be to have human input take precedence.

-- Android Auto disconnects randomly. Have had a TAR raised with my dealership's team, and they tried different software updates, changed the USB port, etc. in consultation with M&M's tech team. But no resolution till date. And I have tried like a dozen phones of different generation, OE and aftermarket cables, and lost sleep over it quite a lot. This is a major irritant if you are navigating unknown territory, and AA disconnects exactly when you are approaching crossroads and you do not know where to turn!

-- While newer Thars show the DEF level, M&M has not given this as an update to the earlier loyalists - esp. when we tested the vehicles in real life and provided feedback that resulted in 14 service actions

Comfort and Safety

++ Comfortable 2 adults + 2 kids tourer, safety tested too

++ Seat height adjustment, long travel fore and aft adjustment and tilt adjustment makes is easy to find a comfortable seating position (I am 5' 10") - have driven CBE to HYD in 12 hours (950 KM), without fatigue or requiring rests after reaching the destination

<> Luggage space is adequate for 2 check-in sized luggage and some knick-knacks

<> The CT needs you to invest in flap-reduction planning to make it livable till 70-80 KMPH - all hell breaks beyond that anyway

-- The front seats are a size smaller in terms of the base's length and width - could do with better under thigh support

-- No security alarm - say, if a thief decides to unzip the rear "window" and opens the front door to figure out how to beat the immobilizer to steal the vehicle, he can do so in absolute peace - the first line of defense is absent.

Even if you can't step out, you can still drive through...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20230701_142138_861.jpg

Service & Support

++ Brilliant support service from M&M - I have worked with Mr. Senthil, Mr. Vinay, Mr. Sihabudden, Mr, Ronald and Mr. Prasanna at various times, and they have always been helpful and supportive

++ I'll swear by CAI Mahindra's service team any day. Mr, Dileep and team have been maintaining my vehicle from Day 1, and the team takes pride in ensuring that the work is done right

++ I also experience extensive repairs with Automotive Mahindra in Hyderabad. Mr. Lakshman and team there did a great job in attending to the repairs

I'll review how my mods have held up over the miles next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the 50 . Mine will probably get there in 10 years .
Thanks! I will seriously be picking up a more comfortable/ luxury vehicle - not that am bored of the jeep, will remain my solo ride, but the kids are growing up and will soon needs something better suited for long drives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your highway driving is helping here.
I am of a mixed view - maybe am plain lucky. But between my highway drives, I have had months of pure city traffic for 1,000s of KM. But never had an issue even then, not even an indication - and I never tried to please to the DPF consciously ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
This is crazy good, No change in 50k kms. But you are right, its best to be gentle with the throttle in the Thar, I drive a P AT and its characteristics are very close to a diesel engine because of its torquey nature.
The P AT is a monster on its own right - that pick up is addictive, and make the D AT seem inferior if driven back to back

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2023 at 12:51. Reason: As requested
ph03n!x is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 15:48   #225
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)

That is exhaustive! I have been reading your review in bitsvand pieces, as and when time permits. A big thank you for providing me with Karna"s phone number (Arka motorsports) which helped me get the AVO suspension fitted. After 3500 kms of driving with the AVO, I must say it was a very good decision to go with it. 6000 kms in 3 1/2 months and I am very happy with my That 1.5 D RWD. Regarding Android Auto only OE cables work. I broke my OE data cable ( which came with the phone). Other branded cables never worked till I bought an OE cable.
The screen showing half the information some times is another issue
Enjoy your freedom
Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed