Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 23:10   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Taste of Freedom - My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review - 10k Service and Voluntary Recall (Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc93 View Post
Phoenix saar, gentle reminder on the convertible top removal video
Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Could you please provide some detail on how the dashcam wires are routed along with hardwiring?
How easy is it to do?
I have ordered 70mai A800S Dual Channel and planning to install by myself.
Please bear with me, my friend - I'll do both of these one of the days this week, max by this weekend. @MithunSathianat, Routing the wiring is fairly easy, I'll add some pics on how I did it...
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 23:06   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Taste of Freedom - My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review - 10k Service and Voluntary Recall (Page

Wonderfully written review, enjoyed going through each section and very informative. The way you are getting to minute details and sharing the experiences I'm sure this will be useful for many owners and potential owners as well.
I'm waiting for mine. My heart was with CT but I booked HT looking at practicality, but after reading your review I feel like changing my configuration, the open-top should really look beautiful in rocky beige. I'd like to hear more about your personal experiences, yay/nay for going with CT, when you get time.
Please continue to share the valuable information.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 13:35   #123
Senior - BHPian

10,000 KM on the clock!

10,000!

What's so special about this figure? We use myriad in our daily life to imply a lot, but did you know that a myriad is actually equal to 10,000?

Or of the Greek mercenary warriors from 2,500 years ago - named 10,000?

But almost everyone will remember that moment when this number shows up in their Odometer - irrespective of how many myriad miles you have clocked in the cars you have driven all your life!

My Thar hit this mark over the weekend
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-01-10000.jpg

For me, this marks the first milestone in the relationship between me and my vehicle - no matter if you are a novice or an expert, a layman or a motorhead, if you have driven as much as this on the Odo, you know your car - how it behaves, what could be the expected mileage for each drive you go on, when should you check the tyre pressure, what is that sound...

If you are also a torque head like me, you may also feel that the engine has opened up by now, is a lot smoother and the power delivery at its best from around this mark. Could be placebo, perception, whatever - but I have noticed this markedly in al my Diesels. And this is also a reason why a test drive of a new car does not give me the true picture of how the engine is.

I am digressing.

So here is a quick update of what I have done:

Horns - while the stock horns have a classy, trumpet tone - I wanted to change this something more jeep-y, more so because of the placement of the horns themselves, to the right side of the battery. The problem with this placement? The horn is pretty audible inside the Thar!

What I have done is to get a pair of Hella Red Grills, connect them in parallel with the existing horn (with a separate relay and fuse), and have made it switchable between the two And the Red Grills are mounted behind the bumper, in front of the radiator - and are not as audible inside the jeep anymore! There is more than an inch between the horn and the radiator (which is also protected by the metal guard), so no risk of the horn hitting the radiator due to any untoward occurrences.

Peepin' ninjas
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-21-horn.jpg

The fuse and relay
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-22-horn.jpg

...and the switch to toggle between the both
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-23-horn.jpg

Mats - I did not like the "normal" mats that M&M is offering as accessory, and wanted a 3D kind of a mat. But then the official ones from Bushranger did not need a myriad of reasons to look beyond, just one - their price! More than 12,000 bucks! I kept looking for something decent, but never found any - until I stumbled upon Autofurnish, and their ULS 7D Economy Mats. The pics looked good, and ordered them from their website for Rs. 3,690, incl shipping. It took about 10 days to deliver, and this is what I received from FedEx (there was an external cover for the courier too).

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-03-autofurnish-1.jpg

A look at the label - 12,000 bucks MRP?!!! Wonder why...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-04-autofurnish-2.jpg

This is the layout of the mats.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-05-autofurnish-3.jpg

And the edges comes with Velcro tapes that can be stuck at required locations to hold the mats in place
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-06-autofurnish-4.jpg

The mats are actually sorta like the noodle mats, that can be unbuttoned from the base "carpet"
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-07-autofurnish-5.jpg

This is how it looks like in the driver footwell - I have not Velcro'd it at all so far!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-08-autofurnish-6.jpgTaste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-09-autofurnish-7.jpg

And on the co-driver side
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-10-autofurnish-8.jpg

This is how it fits at the back -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-11-autofurnish-9.jpg

Overall, I like the quality of the mats, and how they fit - even without the Velcro, they seem to be in place. Had to be seen how they are as they wear off, and how soon. But I will recommend it if you are looking for a mat - for the price, and the ambience it adds to the jeep! Needless to say, the removable noodle mat parts make it easy to dust it out the daily

Stick(er) it up! I usually stick to clean looks, but with the jeep, the itch to personalize and customize it has started. I got my jeep's serial number stickered on both the sides of the hood (this is on white PVC material), and a compass in grey PVC on the center of the hood. This did not add an BHP or crawler ratios, but I guess with black Thars becoming common, makes my stand out (stick out like a sore thumb?!)

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-02-stickers.jpg

I got these done at Sun Combine, and the work was immaculate - especially on the compass, which had a lot of mini parts! While I am happy with the outcome, the thought that the white serial number could have been a size or two smaller, as well as could have been in a light(er than the compass) grey so that it is not as loud did cross my mind. Will run with this for now, though...

Speakers - The Thar has a pair of 6.25" speakers and tweeters on the plastic mount up top on the roll cage, and another pair of speakers alone in the dash's bottom - no tweeters here. The problem with this setup?
  1. Tweeters are right above your head. They are also placed towards the middle of the length of the vehicle. Stereo separation is sorta confusing because of this!
  2. The plastic casing on the roll cage barely has space for the speakers. This result is a very hollow sounding setup up top
  3. The front speakers under the dash gives decent bass, and having the fader set to front helps mitigate the tweeter-on-your-head feel a bit. But they do not have tweeters to support the highs - and when you set the fader to be front biased to get some bass, you miss out...
Stock Tweeters...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-13-stock-tweeters.jpg

...and speakers
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-12-stock-speakers.jpg

The day I figured the stock ICE plays WAV and FLAC, I made a collection of al my WAV and FLACs in a USB, and started experimenting with settings to improve the sound quality - but then, the inherent limitation of this setup is such that I went on to change the speakers.

My requirement for ICE upgrade was simple -
  • Mine is a Convertible Soft Top - no amount of damping will improve the sound quality when the roof is missing. The Thar does not have carpets on the floor - and adding one will defeat the purpose of having a jeep! And without the mat, you will have enough noises filtering through the floors too. Yeah, so no damping.
  • Being it a Thar, there is barely enough space for our travel luggage. I didn't want to venture installing my JL 450/4, Alpine monoblocks and Boston G5 subs and travel without cloths to change. And being a Convertible Top Thar, I wont be able to park the jeep in public places ever for short while without wondering if my ICE is getting stolen! So now amps, woofers.
With that out of the way, I looked for decent speakers with the least RMS ratings so that the stock ICE can decently drive the speakers. The stock speakers were of 25W RMS, and I found the Pioneer TS-A1605C Components (60W RMS) and the TS-R1651S Coaxials (40W RMS) sound good enough.

The Pio components...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-14-components.jpg

...and coaxials
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-15-coaxials.jpg

Got the coaxials installed on the roll cage speaker provision, and disconnect the tweeters from chirping in my ears. Installed the components' mids under the dash, and placed the highs at the corners of the A-pillar and the dashboard.

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-15b-tweeter.jpgTaste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-15a-tweeter.jpg

So, 10,000 KM with the Thar.

You may have a myriad reasons to not buy it. But you just need one to - that is the jeep itself. Right now, this is my primary vehicle, and I have done long drives, hauled luggage, went off road, climbed up and down the western ghats quite a few times too.

If the Thar is a beast, then I am its Dean Schneider - it is endearing, intimidating, oozes power, and confidence inspiring. All at the same time.

I'm sure I will have myriad adjectives more for my Thar as I munch 'em miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc93 View Post
Phoenix saar, gentle reminder on the convertible top removal video
Here is a short video - I am not actually removing the CT off of the jeep in this, but it is as simple as getting another person to hold the other end, and take the CT off the Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Wonderfully written review...
My heart was with CT but I booked HT looking at practicality, but after reading your review I feel like changing my configuration, the open-top should really look beautiful in rocky beige. I'd like to hear more about your personal experiences, yay/nay for going with CT, when you get time.
Please continue to share the valuable information.
Thanks mate! Will keep the thread updated every now and then!

CT vs, HT - if you have another car that you can use, no brainer - get a CT! If this will be your primary/ only car, you may want to consider the HT for the lower NVH. That said, in 10,000 KM of driving across all conditions, the CT has not bothered me much. It took a bit of getting used hearing external conversations inside at signals, horns sounding louder, etc. And of course, there is this flapping now from about 60 to 70 KMPH...

For this, I have gotten some sponge to try and see where they flap - at the rear corners of the roll cage, on the top (above the speaker/ cabin light console), etc.

With this, the flapping is greatly reduced, and does not bother me till 90 KMPH. Beyond that, yeah - it is a soft top after all. But then, swapping the speakers to something better than stock helped here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
...Also eager to hear about the 70mai dash cam. Have you fitted the rear cam also?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Could you please provide some detail on how the dashcam wires are routed along with hardwiring?
How easy is it to do?
I have ordered 70mai A800S Dual Channel and planning to install by myself.
Hey mate, not sure if you have done this already - but here goes...

My 70mai came with this tool to help conceal with the wiring. I ran them behind the IRVM through the driver side (A-pillar, door beadings) to the fuse box.

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-18-70mai.jpg

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-16-70mai.jpg

And the reverse cam wire through the driver side to under the carpets over the wheel arch to the right side tail-lamp opening (tail lamp needs to be removed by removing the covers on the side and the two bolts that holds it in place) and the bumper - had to make a small hole in the bumper to get the wiring through to above the number plate. Of course, you will have to tap the reverse lamp's wiring to activate reverse mode when you shift to reverse gear.

The hardwire kit comes with fuse taps like these -

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-19-70mai.jpg

Its needs two taps - a regular fuse (I tapped the cabin lamp fuse (F36) for this), and ACC power fuse (I tapped the MBFM ACC (F64) for this).

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-20-70mai.jpgTaste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-20a-70mai.jpg

Last edited by ph03n!x : 12th April 2021 at 13:49.
ph03n!x is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 13:50   #124
BHPian

Hi Mate,

That’s an elaborate update on your beauty reaching the 10k milestone, if taken care well these beauties will last an eternity, no wonder we still see the CJs/Willys/MM540s on the road till today.

Regarding that Soft top flapping issue at high speed, you may try using double side Velcro tapes. These are easily available online or any other hardware shop, it needs to be fixed at the ends where the Soft top meets the body, once done this reduces the flapping to a lot of extent. I have a Thar 700, this trick worked well with the soft top initially, but then mine being a primary and the long road trips that we take on, having a hardtop was evident. But then I didn’t like any of the designs available in the aftermarket, a Jeep looks best topless or with the soft top canopy look, hence I got a semi hardtop done which retains the original look with the soft top and eliminates the security and NVH concerns. I am not sure if a semi hardtop has been invented for the new Thar, but then the convertible top is more appealing.

All the best and wish you many more happy miles with the beauty!!!
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 14:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Hi Mate,

That’s an elaborate update on your beauty reaching the 10k milestone, if taken care well these beauties will last an eternity, no wonder we still see the CJs/Willys/MM540s on the road till today.

Regarding that Soft top flapping issue at high speed, you may try using double side Velcro tapes. These are easily available online or any other hardware shop, it needs to be fixed at the ends where the Soft top meets the body, once done this reduces the flapping to a lot of extent. I have a Thar 700, this trick worked well with the soft top initially, but then mine being a primary and the long road trips that we take on, having a hardtop was evident. But then I didn’t like any of the designs available in the aftermarket, a Jeep looks best topless or with the soft top canopy look, hence I got a semi hardtop done which retains the original look with the soft top and eliminates the security and NVH concerns. I am not sure if a semi hardtop has been invented for the new Thar, but then the convertible top is more appealing.

All the best and wish you many more happy miles with the beauty!!!
Hi @abhikb - thanks a lot! And I've been following your Thar 700 thread and your recent updates too - from a raw jeep perspective, Thar 700 probably was the last true-blue

Getting double-sided Velcro is the idea - I am toying with kitchen sponges to mark the strategic spots. I will eventually do the Velcro <cough... cough... I'm lazy... cough cough>, will also have to check how the adhesives hold when the canopy gets folded when I open the Convertible Top. And appealing, it is - nothing beats a top-less jeep
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 23:41   #126
Senior - BHPian

Mileage of a Thar LX DSL AT CT - 10k KM Update!

Never Ask A Man's Wage, A Woman's Age, or A Thar's Mileage

No, that is no original quote - but so well suites my Thar! I had posted about the MID mileage of my Thar when I had clocked a tad under 4,000 KM. For those who missed that post, the MID showed a mileage of 16.3 KMPL after a ~500 KM from Madras to Coimbatore, maintaining an excruciatingly painful ~90 KMPH on beautiful 4/ 6 lane highways.

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20201229_221332.jpg

That is only a part of the story - that drive from Madras to Coimbatore, plus some 70-odd KM in city conditions gave a tankful to tankful mileage of 13.41 KMPL, against a MID indicated 15.xx KMPL during tank-up. As of now, this remains my best mileage figures.

I think 10,000+ KM is a good time to revisit my mileage track - let's get real!

How is real-life mileage been in my Thar LX DSL AT CT, across 10,000+ KM ownership?

Owing to the interesting experiences I had during the initial few thousand KM (Water-in-Fuel!), let me break it up it into before the fix and after the fix - considering we did drain the fuel tank once due to this gremlin...

Mind you, I am old school with mileage tracking - the only update I did? Moved it from an offline Excel sheet to a Google Sheets based tracker!

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-mileage-1.png

All these tankful readings were contaminated by the water-in-fuel issue, and had several instances of limp mode, check engine marking it's presence - and the grand culmination of draining out the fuel tank. The 12th Dec reading would be affected by the ~5 liters that we drained out.

With all these in mind, and being 90% highway usage, the final stats shows a mileage of 11.50 KMPL, with Rs. 6.87 as the cost per KM.

This is how I fared from there on, after the issue was fixed -

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-mileage-2.png
Green shades - ghat sections | Grey shade - extensive 4x4/ offroading

Let's ignore the first line in this - this was a tank-up from ~half tank, and I don't think it is accurate for whatever reason. The 29th Dec tank-up is where I did my mileage experiment. The rest of the driving was mostly highways, again 90% of them - and there were some ghat sections involved (Yercaud, Ooty, Valparai), highlighted in green. And the one in grey is where I took my stock Thar offroading

Of these, the Feb 7th tank-up stands out for me - this is when I was driving from Hyderabad to Coimbatore alone (no, I halted in Bangalore!), and was testing the jeep's limits - max speed, handling, braking while at max speed, and how it handled that - put it through its paces and we came out knowing each other a lot better! For me, this 10.75 KMPL is the worst mileage I'll ever clock.

The numbers from 3,000 KM till the last tank-up? 11.57 KMPL, cost per KM of Rs. 7.20 - no thanks the daylight robbery under the guise of fuel price increases. 10 bucks in 6 months?!!! The overall average for the 10,000 KM ownership is 11.55 KMPL, Rs. 7.10 per KM. Yeah, not much of an impact vs. the first 3,000 KM - but am sure I could have clocked better mileage figures in the first 3,000 KM because I was babying the Thar at ~80 KMPH, with only bursts of 90 to 110 KMPH. Oh well...

Which fuel brands do I prefer? Depends - in Coimbatore, my trusted fuel stations are the SSS IOC and Ramsons BP. On highways, I try to get a Reliance. In Madras, I stick with Shell. And in Hyderabad, I frequent the HP pump in Kondapur. Let's see how the brands fared - do note, this is not a brand performance ranking. Driving conditions, driver (me!) mindset, heck, even what was planning on the ICE or how good my kids were behaving - would have affected the mileage a bit!

Name:  Mileage  3.png
Views: 16440
Size:  10.0 KB

So what are my takeaways?
  • For my usage, Diesel is the best - apart from the miles I munch, the difference between the worst mileage (10.75 KMPL) and the average mileage (11.55 KMPL). This narrow difference is why I love my Diesels!
  • My realistic highway range is 550 KM for a full tank. I will have to factor in ghats and offroad driving in this
  • The variance from the MID vs. Actual is something I started tracking recently - and I have seen MID vs. Actual fluctuate from 1.44 to 2.31 KMPL (actual is always lower). Do not trust the MID mileage!
  • I would plan at 8 to 9 KMPL if am using 4x4 extensively - ~450 KM full tank range.
  • Those who own a MT Diesel Thar will definitely be able to squeeze more mileage - at least 2 to 3 KMPL more should be easy-peasy. And those who picked an AT Petrol - mind your mileage, am sure it will be considerably lower under similar driving conditions!
We haven't seen much of roads off late - what with Wuhan CoronaVirus making a v21 comeback. I'm taking it easy for now, and will plan some interesting travels, but only after we are ahead of the virus' curve (and hope and pray that v21Pro/S or v22 is not on the horizon!).

Until then, let me know if you would like for me to give you a closer scrutiny on the jeep, and I'll give it a shot!

Speaking of giving it a shot, how can a post be - without a parting shot?

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20210424_1546162.jpg
Rain and jeeps - somethin' about them, there is!

Stay safe, people! Can't stress this enough - don't step outta your cocoons unless you have to. Take care of yourself and your nears and dears.

That's all folks!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 24th April 2021 at 23:42.
ph03n!x is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 23:53   #127
BHPian

Thanks for keeping the thread updated. Couple questions about the horn:

Can the stock horns not be moved to a location where you dont hear them as loud inside? I ask because I am annoyed by how loud they sound within the cabin and don't feel the need to purchase another pair and locate them elsewhere.

Also, just outta curiosity, why did you locate the switch (to toggle between the two sets of horns) out in the engine bay versus having it installed within the cabin somewhere? Or am I misunderstanding this?
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:24   #128
BHPian

Re: Mileage of a Thar LX DSL AT CT - 10k KM Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
[*]Those who own a MT Diesel Thar will definitely be able to squeeze more mileage - at least 2 to 3 KMPL more should be easy-peasy. And those who picked an AT Petrol - mind your mileage, am sure it will be considerably lower under similar driving conditions!
Thanks for the highly detailed data and information. I believe at this point, Thar would greatly benefit from a 7 or 8 speed automatic gearbox (or even more, seeing how FE numbers with the 10R80 Endeavour have gone up). The 2.0L petrol will especially benefit from this. Why are Indian manufacturers not moving beyond 6 ratios (4 ratios for some)?
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Thanks for keeping the thread updated. Couple questions about the horn:

Can the stock horns not be moved to a location where you dont hear them as loud inside? I ask because I am annoyed by how loud they sound within the cabin and don't feel the need to purchase another pair and locate them elsewhere.

Also, just outta curiosity, why did you locate the switch (to toggle between the two sets of horns) out in the engine bay versus having it installed within the cabin somewhere? Or am I misunderstanding this?
I think the reason for the loveing the stock horn could be to protect it from water incursion. And there is not much space high up on the front where it could be relatively safe. You probably can relocate them to where I have placed them, but they will get affected even if there is a foot of water (I guess). I thought about this, but there is not much other than switching the new hours off (switch it to the stock horns) during any water wading I do.

I didn't want to draw wires through the firewall. And as I won't be switching between stock and new horns often - only if I expect water in which case I'll open the hood and switch them. That's why left the switch there itself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Thanks for the highly detailed data and information. I believe at this point, Thar would greatly benefit from a 7 or 8 speed automatic gearbox (or even more, seeing how FE numbers with the 10R80 Endeavour have gone up). The 2.0L petrol will especially benefit from this. Why are Indian manufacturers not moving beyond 6 ratios (4 ratios for some)?
I think it'll be the cost - I read somewhere that Maruti's 4-speed auto is 70k vs. Hyundai's 6-speed auto is an eye-watering 7.15 lakhs.

Also, for a purpose-built SUV that tries to be more comfortable on tarmac than earlier generation jeeps, this one does a decent enough job. 8-speeds have just about reached the 30 lakh+ segment a couple of years back - will be a while before it trickles down!
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 14:55   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed report! You are fortunate to have been able to drive the Thar for 10K kilometers before we entered COVID Wave 2!

The deviation of the MID-indicated mileage from actual mileage is too wide in my opinion. Mahindra should correct the software if possible, since it leads to a false sense of security about tank range. One can live with 0.5 to 1 KPL gap, but a difference of over 2 KPL is inexcusable.

In my three long trips on my Diesel AT Thar (Ownership review here --> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5038350 (My 2020 Mahindra Thar Review (Mystic Copper)!)), I observed similar mileage outcomes and deviations in MID mileage. The worst I saw was just under 11 KPL and typical highway drives at around average 105-110 KPL yielded close to 12 kpl. I think one can expect 600 KM highway range with a 57 liter fuel tank with these kinds of speeds.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 22:04   #131
BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

@ph03n!x, Not exaggerating but I guess you are first Thar owner for having done this. I could not find any video on Thar that has crunched so many Kms, max I could find was 5000 Kms. And it is this experience that is very detrimental for others to make the purchase.

Kudos and wishing you many lovely Kms ahead with Thar.
swunkjyn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:32   #132
Senior - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Thanks for the detailed report! You are fortunate to have been able to drive the Thar for 10K kilometers before we entered COVID Wave 2!

The deviation of the MID-indicated mileage from actual mileage is too wide in my opinion. Mahindra should correct the software if possible, since it leads to a false sense of security about tank range. One can live with 0.5 to 1 KPL gap, but a difference of over 2 KPL is inexcusable.

In my three long trips on my Diesel AT Thar (Ownership review here --> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5038350 (My 2020 Mahindra Thar Review (Mystic Copper)!)), I observed similar mileage outcomes and deviations in MID mileage. The worst I saw was just under 11 KPL and typical highway drives at around average 105-110 KPL yielded close to 12 kpl. I think one can expect 600 KM highway range with a 57 liter fuel tank with these kinds of speeds.
Thanks mate! To be honest, my mile munching screeched to a halt by March itself, when cases started showing an increase.

Let's pray and hope that this wave dies as quickly as it started, and we get back to normalcy - the cost to life and livelihood is devastating

I keep 550 KM as the range for two reasons - first, obviously, is to have a safety net. Second is, I don't want to go below 47 Liters, would rather let ~10 Liters be in the tank. But yes, MID mileage is not really dependable, DTE too fluctuates at times. Better go by Trip Meter to assess how much fuel is left based on the distance traveled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
@ph03n!x, Not exaggerating but I guess you are first Thar owner for having done this. I could not find any video on Thar that has crunched so many Kms, max I could find was 5000 Kms. And it is this experience that is very detrimental for others to make the purchase.

Kudos and wishing you many lovely Kms ahead with Thar.
Thanks mate, but I'm sure I read someone else who bought around the same time as me posting in the official review thread that they have crossed 11k

I will recommend the Thar to anyone who thinks the vehicle itself suits them but it's unsure on the reliability or performance - just make sure the ASS in your city is experienced and competent, and enjoy the jeep life!
Old 27th April 2021, 14:18   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Despite being 250 kgs lighter and 26 BHP & 100 Nm less powerful than my Safari Storme Varicor 400, the Thar seems to deliver considerably lesser fuel efficiency. Is that due to the AT box or are you really being aggressive with your driving or having 4x4 engaged always or all of these combined?!

Here is my stats, coincidentally after 10k km (9xxx) of usage and fuel efficiency tracking:

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-screenshot_20210427141407_fuelio.jpg

I have been getting 13.7 kmpl as an average figure for the 10k km. While the best was an astonishing 18 kmpl after a 320 km round trip with 70-90 kmph cruising on the highway, while the worst has been 10.9 kmpl after driving 240 km at speeds that can't be mentioned here, All I can say is that I flogged all the 156 horses that time . Unlike your Thar, the difference is a substantial 7 kmpl in my case.

Overall, it's pretty easy to get 14-15 kmpl with my Safari Storme. This gives me an easy 750 km safe range with a tankful on the highway with gentle driving.

Cost per km is a decent Rs. 6.3 per km, best being Rs. 5 per km while the worst being Rs. 8 per km.

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-screenshot_20210427142202_fuelio.jpg

All the data are from tankful to tankful method.

As you have said, Thar MT will return as much as my Storme I guess. I also see you refill at many bunks. I have a standard BP fuel pump where I refill every week. Helps in maintaining the fuel quality.

Now the bad news, - the diesel price which has been stagnant at 86 rupees will start rising again after the last leg of elections this month.

Beyond all these numbers and financial stuff, Thar/Storme are cars that you shall happily spend more per km. Specially the Thar, What a gorgeous SUV!

Here, a superb Grey Thar I captured yesterday. Eats the much larger innova in road presence

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-img_20210426_152419_812.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th April 2021 at 14:41.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 17:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:

That's all folks!

I got my Thar Diesel LX HT MT on the 2nd of December, and as on date I have clocked a little above 14000 Kms.
I share your observation, the MID gives a false sense of happiness, never trust it. Overall I have driven across KA,TN,GA,AP,TS,UP,MH,MP,RJ,WB,OD,JH and BR. And for a brief ventured into Nepal as well.

Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-screenshot_20210427170740.jpg

Overall mileage is around 11.63kmpl with highway driving in the range of 90-120kmph returning around 13kmpl and city use returning around 10-11.5kmpl. To be honest, I had expected better mileage from this new Thar, but it has more than fulfilled all my other needs with so much elan, that I don't have a reason to feel sour.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 27th April 2021 at 17:31.
soumobakshi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 23:55   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Despite being 250 kgs lighter and 26 BHP & 100 Nm less powerful than my Safari Storme Varicor 400, the Thar seems to deliver considerably lesser fuel efficiency. Is that due to the AT box or are you really being aggressive with your driving or having 4x4 engaged always or all of these combined?!
As you have said, Thar MT will return as much as my Storme I guess. I also see you refill at many bunks. I have a standard BP fuel pump where I refill every week. Helps in maintaining the fuel quality.
Your ride is something I wanted to own, but couldn't get to buy one in - back in 2015!

I have tried babying the throttle inputs, tried sprinting to 90+ (when the slushbox shifts to 6th) and babying it there on - I've tried. And I'm not usually am aggressive driver, even in my MT cars! My XUV5OO AWD Auto used to give me 12.5 KMPL, but the Thar is just not budging - I'm not too wired about mileage, but it's an itch trying to see how much I can extract from it

I don't engage 4x4 on tarmac - heck, it hardly needs 4x4 for most part unless I'm specifically offroading (did that, 4L) or am in some difficult terrain (did that too, 4H). So my guess? In addition to the AT gearbox, I have the aerodynamics of a brick!! That's probably it, Safari is definitely more sorted aerodynamically than the jeep! @soumobakshi's post after yours too shows similar figures, though MT - so looks like I'm not too bad!

Also, the different fuel stations are in different cities - I have one fuel station in my base location, but also have some trusted pumps in the cities that I frequent. Highway filling is invariably Reliance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
I got my Thar Diesel LX HT MT on the 2nd of December, and as on date I have clocked a little above 14000 Kms.
I share your observation, the MID gives a false sense of happiness, never trust it. Overall I have driven across KA,TN,GA,AP,TS,UP,MH,MP,RJ,WB,OD,JH and BR. And for a brief ventured into Nepal as well.

Attachment 2149566

Overall mileage is around 11.63kmpl with highway driving in the range of 90-120kmph returning around 13kmpl and city use returning around 10-11.5kmpl. To be honest, I had expected better mileage from this new Thar, but it has more than fulfilled all my other needs with so much elan, that I don't have a reason to feel sour.
Man, 14k KM?! You're living it up!!!
I've been following some of your posts and YT videos, hats off to your touring spirit!

Let me know if you plan for TN again, would be good to catch up!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th April 2021 at 23:56.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed