Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 20:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi Phoenix - Quick question, what did it cost you for the PPF please? I was at the 3M centre at the Avanashi Road outlet at Coimbatore, and the rate was around 550 / sq ft.

( PS : I returned to Bangalore this morning. I shall be there around Pongal and hope to catch your car and you then )
It was Rs. 570 per sq.ft before discounts - comes to about 27k for this alone, plus the underbody (I think that is another 2500 or so), and then GST, this is in the same outlet.

I got it done for 30k incl taxes - the manager there is Prince, talk to him and work the deal out. If you are doing it here, I'll accompany you if our schedules match!
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 00:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

In-Car Entertainment. In a Thar. Who’d have thought?!

Well, M&M did, and have done a decent job out of it too! So when I got sometime today (waiting on my family while we were out), I explored the headunit, as well as took some pics the screens and options. I took the pics with my mobile’s camera, and hence there will not be consistency of colour or exposure – be assured, the actual screen is pretty uniform.

While I have not opened the speaker enclosure, they seem to be a 5.25” components on the top and a either a 5.25” or a 6.5” coaxials under the dash. The components do not produce much of a bass, probably because M&M thought (and thought right) that none would appreciate booming bass from above their head – bass duty is done by the coaxials.

Owing to the physical layout of speakers, there is nothing remotely similar to “sound stage” in this setup, and thanks to a soft top jeep with speakers mounted on the roll cage and under the dash, damping is not going to make a difference.

I will rate the setup at 6/10 - it is loud enough, clarity and base are sufficient enough for a soft top jeep. The setup is functional, and has the features not seen/ expected from a Mahindra jeep

So what CAN you do to improve the sound quality? You can –
  1. Upgrade the speakers with stock sizes but better brands (like for like – compos up top and coax under the dash)
  2. Upgrade the speakers, changing the components up top to coaxials, install components under the dash instead, with the tweeter fixed to the A-pillar (creating a sound stage)
  3. Add an AMP to 1 or 2
  4. Add a sub within the constraints of the boot (in addition to 3), filtering both the top and front speakers with hi-pass
Irrespective of any of these options, fact remains that this is a convertible soft top and SQ will always be compromised. So what am I going to do? Nothing – I will live with the stock for now. I sure I will not get the pleasure of tuning a sweet ICE in my Thar - for reference, my Getz had a DLS UP6i components (Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)) with JL Audio 450/4 amp (Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)), and Boston Acoustics G5 sub with Alpine PDX 1.600 monoblock – damped the whole car too. That was sweet sounding – the DLS UP6i’s silk dome tweeters need a special mention! So yeah, with a soft top jeep, I am not going to start something that I know will not sate my taste.

Those of you who got a hard top - you'll have a better setup to play with. Give it a shot and share your experience!

The ICE’s menu and screen layout is pretty similar to the XUV3OO – we can assume that this will be layout for other M&M cars launching in the near future. Let’s start then –

When you start the Thar, this is what welcomes you - if you switch off your ICE before turning off the Thar. There is a setting to show a blank screen instead too
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-01-switched-off.jpg

Power it on, and it will be at Radio - which is what I was at before I turned it off. I have been using Bluetooth to play my audio, so have not really tried it with a USB stick yet
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-02-power-last-screen.jpg

The Radio can save 12 FM channels for each FM, so you can have 24 FM channels saved! This is the second page of the radio, showing the other 6 channels
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-03-radio-2.jpg

With the hardware buttons lit up - press the home button and this is what you get. As you can see, the layout is very similar to the XUV3OO's hardware button, except that the dedicated navigation key is now pointing to Car Info
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-04-home-1.jpg

The home screen has two pages, and this is the second page
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-05-home-2.jpg

If you select Media from the Home Screen, this is what you get...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-06-media-1.jpg

...again, 2 pages of options. I have only used Bluetooth and Android Auto. I do not know how USB Music, USB Video and USB Image will behave yet.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-07-media-2.jpg

To go back to the Home Screen, use the hardware button. The third option is Adventure Statistics, which is new to Mahindra's ICE layout. The Onroad layout has power and torque delivery %, a compass and a G-Monitor
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-31-adv-stats-1.jpg

Offroad layout has pitch and roll degrees engine temperature, transmission and transfer case status, and wheel angle
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-32-adv-stats-2.jpg

You can have your own layout under Custom...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-33-adv-stats-3.jpg

...and these are the option you can choose from. The gear indicator for the auto tranny version is pretty useless - it shows P-R-N-D, and not what gear you are in - you will need to be in Manual Shift option for that.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-34-adv-stats-4.jpg

Also, notice how the Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter icons are greyed out in this vs. the previous images - this is because I had connected to the Bluesense App for Thar while taking the previous pics.

I will skip over phone and navigation - phone is just that, and for those who are used to pre-XUV3OO interface, there is a "private" option when you are in call to speak on your phone's earpiece. Navigation is something that I have never used. Might come in helpful in case you are stuck without data network somewhere, and did not have Maps download your route.

Next up, Car Info. Notice the Back and Play buttons on the top right? The Play will take you to the playing source (radio, USB, whatever is playing), and the back will take you to the home layout. Tiretronics is similar to the XUV5OO, except...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-08-car-info-1.jpg

...for the "Show All" that you get here to display temperature and pressure (a la the XUV3OO)
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-09-car-info-2.jpg

And the next one, unique to the Thar, is the Adventure Connect - has a list of adventure events organized by Mahindra Adventure
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-10-car-info-3.jpg

The Alerts section has a list of unresolved alerts - when my Thar had the "Water-in-Fuel" error, it used to be logged here
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-11-car-info-4.jpg

You can turn the DRL on or off...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-12-car-info-5.jpg

...see the fuel info, similar to what XUV5OO had - this can be seen/ reset from the MID too...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-13-car-info-6.jpg
A word on the mileage - this my 3 tankfull, and right after the top-up, my Thar went in for fixing the Water-in-Fuel issue - do not take this as the real-world mileage!

...as well as get alerts for scheduled services that are coming up/ due
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-14-car-info-7.jpg

So how is the ICE system, layout, features, etc., you ask? While I have shown you for what it is, let me also tell you what it is not - missed opportunity, if I may.

The ICE could have been integrated with the MID better. It is integrated alright, at least for the alerts, fuel consumption/ DTE part. But the MID does not show the current track (or station) that is playing, does not show the next turn/ direction (at least not from Google Maps) - essentially is more or less a standalone MID. Maybe M&M wanted to save that one for the upcoming XUV5OO/ Scorpio?

Let me now continue with the settings in the ICE, in the next post (30 image limit!).

Last edited by ph03n!x : 9th December 2020 at 00:29.
ph03n!x is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 00:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

The settings for the ICE is divided into 5 pages -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-15-settings-1.jpg

Sound settings, similar to the XUV3OO's. The back button on the top right here will take you to the settings page. The Balance/ Fader settings...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-16-sound-settings-1.jpg

...Bass, Mids and High settings...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-17-sound-settings-2.jpg

and a 5 band GEQ for 100 Hz to 10 KHz range, along with some presets.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-18-sound-settings-3.jpg

Various volume controls. No, turning the alert volume down to zero will not stop the speed alerts
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-19-sound-settings-4.jpg

Speed Dependent Volume Control - I find low to be adequate.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-20-sound-settings-5.jpg

Display settings - I keep the brightness at 4, and has worked good enough even on sunny days
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-21-display-settings-1.jpg

This is the setting I talked about in my previous post - you can have a blank screen instead of the clock and date.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-22-display-settings-2.jpg

Choice of Units
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-23-display-settings-3.jpg

I have not used this, but you can create profiles too (again, similar to XUV3OO)
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-24-display-settings-4.jpg

You can choose between these two backgrounds in the Adventure Statistics' off-road and customer pages. On-road anyway shows a tarmac.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-25-display-settings-5.jpg

Standard affair with the system settings - Time, Sync with GPS, Time Zone, and manual time settings
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-26-system-settings-1.jpg

Date Format and Adjustment
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-27-system-settings-2.jpg

Language settings - there is only English (no Indian languages)
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-28-system-settings-3.jpg

You can choose what should the programmable hardware * key do -
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-29-system-settings-4.jpg

And there is one more for Adventure Connect - should is access your location, and allow or deny notifications. I haven't seen this do anything yet...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-30-adv-connect-settings.jpg

That wraps up my brief on ICE. I will be laying low until the weekend, but there are some plans coming up...!
ph03n!x is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 11:19   #49
Team-BHP Support

Re: First Service, and Major Niggle #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

[left]Specify to your SA and car wash guys at the dealership NOT to wash the engine bay or underbody with pressurized water!]
It is an offroad vehicle and will get dirty, how is it supposed to be cleaned, especially underbody if one cant use pressure wash? Hope this is not a copy paste error from an EV or something?
Jaggu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 12:30   #50
BHPian

Re: First Service, and Major Niggle #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It is an offroad vehicle and will get dirty, how is it supposed to be cleaned, especially underbody if one cant use pressure wash? Hope this is not a copy paste error from an EV or something?
I am guessing/hoping that you and the other mods here, with your unprecedented and privileged access to the key people in the manufacturers' organisations, would be the best people to verify/clarify this and let the rest of us know.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:37   #51
BHPian

I don't think there is any car company in the world will suggest to use pressurised water jets to clean under the hood. Afterall, thats the heart of all electronics, engines etc rest. Normal wash is allowed, strictly no pressure jets.
highwaypatrol is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Introducing, Thar TJ!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-thar-tj.jpg

I will respond/ post details, probably early next week. Right now, am wrapping up my work to head out
ph03n!x is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Introducing, Thar TJ!

Wow, did you install the new 7 slat grill? Looks fabulous.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Introducing, Thar TJ!

I will respond/ post details, probably early next week. Right now, am wrapping up my work to head out
That so totally alters the character of the Jeep. Speaks wonders — why the 7 slat is synonymous to a Jeep. Looks wonderful!
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 22:13   #55
BHPian

I feel the Thar in its naked form looks much better than with those extra accessories like side cladding, mud guards, visors, chrome strips etc. Just get a nice shoe like BF Goodrich and the Thar is absolutely stunning in stock form. The moment you put it in those add ons, it just looses character. Who all agree with me here?
highwaypatrol is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:15   #56
BHPian

Looks fab!!
Please share intel on the grill.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:25   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Introducing, Thar TJ!
Attachment 2091304
What a Grill! (OIIIIIIIO) That's all I see in that pic. How much character that one thing adds to an already beautiful vehicle.

You had earlier shared some concerns of the aftermarket grill being fibre, did it fit well? Also how is the overall quality and especially paint matching? I too will be getting an after market grill as the first thing, but mine is the red rage color, worried about color matching?

Looking forward for more updates from you on your rides etc. Keep us posted.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
What a Grill! (OIIIIIIIO) That's all I see in that pic. How much character that one thing adds to an already beautiful vehicle.

You had earlier shared some concerns of the aftermarket grill being fibre, did it fit well? Also how is the overall quality and especially paint matching? I too will be getting an after market grill as the first thing, but mine is the red rage color, worried about color matching?

Looking forward for more updates from you on your rides etc. Keep us posted.
My exact concern.
I am in touch with Auto Ignite where they have angry bird and the normal seven slat grill - priced at 7500/- (plus shipment).
On receipt I have to get it painted which I am worried about. I am not sure if a roadside denting/painting guy will be able to match the color.

UPDATE:

Grill material is PVS, as in the stock grill.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 11th December 2020 at 10:08.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:55   #59
BHPian

Quote:
In-Car Entertainment.

While I have not opened the speaker enclosure, they seem to be a 5.25” components on the top and a either a 5.25” or a 6.5” coaxials under the dash. The components do not produce much of a bass, probably because M&M thought (and thought right) that none would appreciate booming bass from above their head – bass duty is done by the coaxials.
I personally use JBL component, squawker & subwoofer in my car paired with Pioneer Headunit & Pioneer monoblock for the subwoofer with currently the amp and one of the component speaker dead. I'm considering an upgrade to the entire ICE in my car, just not sure where to do this. I'm thinking either in Coimbatore or Chennai.

But as you said, the boot space is not enough for a subwoofer in Thar.
Did you know Mahindra provides upgrades to speaker system using Vibe brand?

The JBL system in TATA Hexa XT (I borrowed it for a short drive) spoiled me for good that even my custom system in Ritz doesn't sound that good!
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 23:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Yet-another-long-post alert!

Let me start with the 7-slat mod - for me, this is one of the obvious mods to make the jeep look.. errrr... jeepy. Cant have a short wheelbase 4WD jeep without the 7 slat grill. Period. I would have taken the 9 slat original design by Ford too - but modern jeeps, my take this is, are too modern for that. Willy's 7-slat trademark has made it synonymous with all jeeps, and a 7-slat was all that the Thar was missing to link it to its CJ parentage. I understand the changes ownerships of Jeep (the company) now, and they do not want M&M using the 7-slat design. But why should M&M design grill for this Thar like they did is beyond me - why not a 5-slat design (or even a take on the 9-slat design)? To the best of my knowledge, even GM and FCA are at loggerheads, but only for the 7-slat grill...

Anyway, let the corporates figure it out - my jeep needs 7-slats. And so I had ordered the 7-slat design from Auto Ignite, worried about the finish being UPVC because I assumed (wrongly!) that the stock grill is metal (details in Post #6), checked the stock grill last weekend, confirmed it ain't metal - and I put the mod into action.

I visited Sun Enterprises Monday (December 7th) Morning, and gave the grill to be paint-matched with the Thar's black, as well as have a mesh installed behind the 7 slats.

Quote:
Side note: You can reach out to your Mahindra Dealer and get the colour code for your Thar from the bodyshop. My Napoli Black Thar's colour code is A3NCOL
I went back on Thursday after confirming that the grill + mesh is painted and ready. Let me save a 1000 words -

The finished grill. The one holding it is Sarath from Sun Enterprises - he's done a good job with the finish and affixing the mesh.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-01-grill.jpg

Customary "Before" shot.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-02-before.png

Front bumper removed...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-03-off-comes-bumper.jpg

...and frame's manufacturing timestamp shows itself - 30 Aug 2020!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-04-frame-timestamp.jpg

I want this grill off. This grill... ... ...off! (Say it like Nicolas Cage )
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-05-grilloff.jpg

The stock grill comes with these two rubber flaps at the bottom left and right, held by 4 clips each. These clips need to be carefully removed and installed on the 7-slat grill
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-06-rubber-flaps-1.jpg
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-07-rubber-flaps-2.jpg

This is the OE grill manufacturer
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-08-orig-grill-manufacturer.jpg

A closer look at the OE grill design. I'm sure that there will be better, cost-effective mods to just remove these 6 screws (which seem to be of street quality, had started rusting ) and replace the ungainly stock grill with something better.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-09-orig-grill-slat-design.jpg

For those who want to give it a shot, here is a picto of how to remove the bumper.

There are 4 bolts under bumper's Thar branding (which itself needs to be carefully removed - they are held in place by 7 clips.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-10-bumper-top-4.jpg

Each wheel-well has 4 bolts. These are tricky - look closely and you'll see they can be adjusted for height. Fitting back the bumper will also need patient fine-tuning of the alignment between the left and right sides to ensure it lines up nicely.
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-11-bumper-wheel-well-4x2.jpg

These 3 bolts are under the skid plate too need to be removed
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-12-bumper-bottom-3.jpg

Finally a perspective of the H-U-G-E radiator - condenser- intercooler. I'm sure M&M had their reasons to have such a tall structure, but it does increase the risk of a stranded Thar tremendously when going off the track
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-radiatorcondensorintercooler.jpg

My take on the mod and my installer (Sun Enterprises).
  • This is how the jeep should have left the factory - M&M should have gotten a license, or improvised on a different slat count/ grill design that is not offensive to the original 9/7-slat design
  • The quality of the mod from Auto Ignite is not the same as the stock plastic (stock is better), but is not bad at all. But Rs. 9,000 is pretty steep a price, especially for the unpainted grill!
  • This is the first Thar that Sun Enterprises team is handling for grill replacement, and were initially hesitant - they offered to paint the grill and asked me to check if the dealer can fix it. But they have done a good job both with the paint finish, as well as carefully removing and refitting the bumper and grill
  • I read somewhere that this grill is available for Rs. 11,000 (painted) - not sure if this includes installing, but seems to be a more cost effective option either way IF the plastic quality is on par with the Auto Ignite version (or better still, the stock version)
  • I am not disclosing the total cost for this mod here, please make your own inquiries - but it is still an eye-watering price!
Now that the grill details are out of the way, here are some interesting cars that were in Sun Enterprises -

This Flat Fender almost sounded like it's asking "Who's ya daddy?!" to my Thar
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-flat-fender.jpg

The brown Contessa was having ICE installed/ tuned - was blasting SPL all through. Not sure about the story of the white Contessa...
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-contessas.jpg

Now that it is done, I will write about something more frustrating later on. here is a hint -

The gremlin that refuses to die!
Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT | 50,000 km Update (Page 15)-pita.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I don't think there is any car company in the world will suggest to use pressurised water jets to clean under the hood. Afterall, thats the heart of all electronics, engines etc rest. Normal wash is allowed, strictly no pressure jets.
I don't think this is a copy-paste error, especially after seeing the underbody during the first service. The underbody is pretty bare with transmission, transfer case, etc. exposed - and if I aim wrong, I can very well wet the engine bay while washing the underbody with pressurized jet of water. I think the keyword here is pressurized - maybe a normal hosing down is fine? I will check with the head of service at my dealership tomorrow.

But then, I am in two minds if I should get something like this to protect the underbody - will be pricey, I know - but I own a auto tranny Thar, and knocking that bad will put a larger dent, no?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I feel the Thar in its naked form looks much better than with those extra accessories like side cladding, mud guards, visors, chrome strips etc. Just get a nice shoe like BF Goodrich and the Thar is absolutely stunning in stock form. The moment you put it in those add ons, it just looses character. Who all agree with me here?
My view on the tyre sizing is at 180 degrees - I will stick to stock or stock +1 in my jeep, especially if retaining the 18". But the door panel looks plain to me. The older Mahindra jeeps (MM540 ~ Thar) carried their distinct design on the doors, I think M&M should have added it to the 2020 Thar too - I added the side cladding as an after-thought because of its absence. The rain visor is a necessity for me - I crack the window open during - yes, rains - as well as when driving off after parking under the sun. I hate the chrome on both these accessories though, and will stick a matte finish on it when I get to it. The mud guard again is a necessity - even with it, I have enough mud on the foot rest and door panels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
My exact concern.
I am in touch with Auto Ignite where they have angry bird and the normal seven slat grill - priced at 7500/- (plus shipment).
On receipt I have to get it painted which I am worried about. I am not sure if a roadside denting/painting guy will be able to match the color.

UPDATE:

Grill material is PVS, as in the stock grill.
The stock grill is ABS plastic sitting over the metal frame, as long as you match the color from M&M (like I have described above), you are good to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I'm considering an upgrade to the entire ICE in my car, just not sure where to do this. I'm thinking either in Coimbatore or Chennai.

But as you said, the boot space is not enough for a subwoofer in Thar.
Did you know Mahindra provides upgrades to speaker system using Vibe brand?

The JBL system in TATA Hexa XT (I borrowed it for a short drive) spoiled me for good that even my custom system in Ritz doesn't sound that good!
You should not compare this jeep's sound with that of Hexa (or any modern Tata/ Hyundai/ Kia... ...). Like I said in my write-up, there is no sound stage. If you are getting a hard top, yes - you can mount the mids of the components under the dash and the highs on the A pillar - and maybe use the above-head for a coaxial (or not have a speaker there at all). Yes, you can have an amp under the seat, and a slim removable woofer in the boot to improve the audio quality, but I doubt it will ever come close to something like Hexa.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th April 2021 at 06:30. Reason: As requested
ph03n!x is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed