Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:04   #106

Re: Taste of Freedom - My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review - 10k Service and Voluntary Recall (Page

Thanks for the fantastic updates on your ownership experience! Very excited for my Thar (CT MT delivery date unknown) - just wanted to check, do you have a video anywhere describing how the convertible top can be completely removed? Thanks!
Kc93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Taste of Freedom - My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review - 10k Service and Voluntary Recall (Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
A big round of applause for the owners, Enjoy your Thar`s its truly a dream!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeman View Post
Enjoy your Thar.
Thank you, @skyocean and @eyeman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
For one, last Friday was the first time that I can face-to-face with the New THAR. The 20ish guy driving was probably driving a BOXY vehicle for first time because, even my wifey swore, when while making a sudden U turn he lost control & his Thar swerved & came in inches distance of my right front fender.
but then wifey pointed to my 2YO in the backseat, who was enjoying the sudden commotion.

So I had to check on Thar here & LOVED every post of yours about your Thar. I can swear that You are to Thar what @leoshashi is to M800.
Keep posting.
I can quite imagine the scene, and your toddler's reaction

There ought be quite a few n00bs who'd have bought a Thar considering its desirability factor - we can expect scenes like these, and I hope nothing bad occurs!

Thank you for your kind words!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc93 View Post
Thanks for the fantastic updates on your ownership experience! Very excited for my Thar (CT MT delivery date unknown) - just wanted to check, do you have a video anywhere describing how the convertible top can be completely removed? Thanks!
Hello mate, welcome to Team BHP - and as this is your first post here, I'll definitely make a video for you on removing the CT completely - but please give me till this weekend!

While we're at that, I'll put this to-do list here as a reference for stuff I should add to my ownership thread -
  • Removing CT - Video
  • Hardwiring dashcam - fuse tap details
  • Luggage carrying (whenever I get to next time)
  • Minor ICE mod that I've done
If there's anything more that I can help with, do add on and I'll try to get what I can.

Heads up - I'm a procrastinator
ph03n!x is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 21:36   #108
BHPian

Congratulations, but I fail to understand why anyone should be happy about a recall. A recall, even a proactive one still means that they sold you a car that had flaws. A happy recall? That's the lowest set of expectations to meet.

Please stop applauding mediocrity. You are a paying customer and you deserve better.
shankarbn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
Congratulations, but I fail to understand why anyone should be happy about a recall. A recall, even a proactive one still means that they sold you a car that had flaws. A happy recall? That's the lowest set of expectations to meet.

Please stop applauding mediocrity. You are a paying customer and you deserve better.
You're right about the car having flaws - is there one brand or model that hasn't had a flaw? How many of those flaws are proactively and transparently being recalled and fixed?!

And equating a recall to mediocrity will just imply that every luxury car maker is mediocre, coz they had a recall.

My point being - I've been having a great ownership experience for the last 8k KM, and I was informed of the recall, took my Thar in for service and got it done. My Thar didn't spend an additional day for the recall either. What's wrong if the manufacturer is fixing things that ain't even broken (for me)?
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 12:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I was informed of the recall, took my Thar in for service and got it done.
Sorry for hijacking your thread and probably judging your thoughts!

The point where I think we should appreciate M&M is that they haven't waited till the 10k service even though it was just 700kms or so, far. They escalated it by themselves and pushed ph03n!x to get that handled asap.

Yeah it could be to avoid a PR crisis, but everyone knows about the official recall, but still, they insisted.
neelkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 19:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
You're right about the car having flaws - is there one brand or model that hasn't had a flaw? How many of those flaws are proactively and transparently being recalled and fixed?!

And equating a recall to mediocrity will just imply that every luxury car maker is mediocre, coz they had a recall.

My point being - I've been having a great ownership experience for the last 8k KM, and I was informed of the recall, took my Thar in for service and got it done. My Thar didn't spend an additional day for the recall either. What's wrong if the manufacturer is fixing things that ain't even broken (for me)?
Every luxury car that was recalled (or not, which is worse) due to a defect is also mediocre at best. If the development and quality control is done right, there should be no need for a recall in the first place. It doesn't mean that every car from every manufacturer is bad because they at some point manufactured a bad one.

Absolutely nothing wrong if the manufacturer fixed it, but if I were you I would not settle for being happy about a recall. I would choose to be happy about a better car with better features for a better price or better ergonomics. A higher benchmark for happiness is what I want for you, a paying customer .
Old 26th March 2021, 21:50   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every luxury car that was recalled (or not, which is worse) due to a defect is also mediocre at best. If the development and quality control is done right, there should be no need for a recall in the first place. It doesn't mean that every car from every manufacturer is bad because they at some point manufactured a bad one.

Absolutely nothing wrong if the manufacturer fixed it, but if I were you I would not settle for being happy about a recall. I would choose to be happy about a better car with better features for a better price or better ergonomics. A higher benchmark for happiness is what I want for you, a paying customer .
I appreciate the thought, bro. Really do.

But lets look at some of the recalls that has happened with luxury car makers - for argument's sake:
  • AMG C63, rated among top 20 Mercs of all time, has 13 recalls ranging from structure, ESP Program, Seats, Steering, even rear windscreen.
  • BMW 7 Series, again among the top 20 Bimmers of all time, has 28 recalls for multiple issues with the engine cooling system, fuel leak with fire risk, steering, brakes, suspension, transmission
  • I'm not even going to post about Audi/ VAG here, Dieselgate is enough. Let them first acknowledge that DQ200 is faulty, and announce a recall for it in India
Compared to mainstream brands, these brands sell a fraction - and while I am giving an sample model for the recalls, there are many, many more recalls for their other models.

And because they have had recalls we are branding them mediocre? Okay, I will play along.

Let's look at some exclusively luxurious, epitome-of-luxury cars -
  • Rolls Royce is a part of BMW, but the spirit of ecstasy is a luxury barge, no? The Phantom Drophead Coupe has recalls for brakes, airbags and fuel system
  • Bentley Flying Spur has had recalls for rearview camera, electrical cable, and fuel tank assembly
Rather, please name one car maker who was not mediocre enough to issue a recall. When Hyundai-KIA do not acknowledge braking issues, Tata has a Harrier 1.0 vs 2.0, Maruti's head honcho refuses to acknowledge safety is a minimum expectation, VAG has.. well, let me not get started there...

Maybe let me know the car you own, and I will get one 'em as my primary drive later this year - but I guess your yardstick of happiness is different from mine - I am happy with the features, ergonomics, and price point of my jeep. And I wouldn't paint a different stroke on you if you ain't saying the same thing, after all your choices are yours and mine is, well, mine.

Happy Motoring
ph03n!x is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 21:57   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A but if I were you I would not settle for being happy about a recall. I would choose to be happy about a better car with better features for a better price or better ergonomics. A higher benchmark for happiness is what I want for you, a paying customer .
Dear Saar

After plonking 16L on a car without having any prior knowledge that the car will eventually have issues and be recalled, if one receives a proactive call from the manufacturer for a recall, what shall one do? Sit and cry and curse the manufacturer? Throw a fit and be bitter?

What would you have rather done? Would you rather thank M&M for accepting their mistake or curse them so that next time they think twice before initiating a recall ?

If development and quality checks were so robust across the globe then we would not have the concept of 'warranty'.

So I would rather be happy that they are doing this and enjoy the car than be bitter and curse them for coming forward with a recall.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th March 2021 at 22:02.
Pancham is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 13:09   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Dear Saar

After plonking 16L on a car without having any prior knowledge that the car will eventually have issues and be recalled, if one receives a proactive call from the manufacturer for a recall, what shall one do? Sit and cry and curse the manufacturer? Throw a fit and be bitter?

What would you have rather done? Would you rather thank M&M for accepting their mistake or curse them so that next time they think twice before initiating a recall ?

If development and quality checks were so robust across the globe then we would not have the concept of 'warranty'.

So I would rather be happy that they are doing this and enjoy the car than be bitter and curse them for coming forward with a recall.
I get it. I'm not saying you should throw a fit and be bitter about a recall. A recall is a good deed, especially in a regulatory environment not equipped for class action suits.

What would I do? I would do neither . It's when we settle for being "happy" about a manufacturer fixing an error that we lower our overall expectations.

Quote:
I appreciate the thought, bro. Really do.

But lets look at some of the recalls that has happened with luxury car makers - for argument's sake:
  • AMG C63, rated among top 20 Mercs of all time, has 13 recalls ranging from structure, ESP Program, Seats, Steering, even rear windscreen.
  • BMW 7 Series, again among the top 20 Bimmers of all time, has 28 recalls for multiple issues with the engine cooling system, fuel leak with fire risk, steering, brakes, suspension, transmission
  • I'm not even going to post about Audi/ VAG here, Dieselgate is enough. Let them first acknowledge that DQ200 is faulty, and announce a recall for it in India
Compared to mainstream brands, these brands sell a fraction - and while I am giving an sample model for the recalls, there are many, many more recalls for their other models.

And because they have had recalls we are branding them mediocre? Okay, I will play along.

Let's look at some exclusively luxurious, epitome-of-luxury cars -
  • Rolls Royce is a part of BMW, but the spirit of ecstasy is a luxury barge, no? The Phantom Drophead Coupe has recalls for brakes, airbags and fuel system
  • Bentley Flying Spur has had recalls for rearview camera, electrical cable, and fuel tank assembly
Rather, please name one car maker who was not mediocre enough to issue a recall. When Hyundai-KIA do not acknowledge braking issues, Tata has a Harrier 1.0 vs 2.0, Maruti's head honcho refuses to acknowledge safety is a minimum expectation, VAG has.. well, let me not get started there...

Maybe let me know the car you own, and I will get one 'em as my primary drive later this year - but I guess your yardstick of happiness is different from mine - I am happy with the features, ergonomics, and price point of my jeep. And I wouldn't paint a different stroke on you if you ain't saying the same thing, after all your choices are yours and mine is, well, mine.

Happy Motoring
Damn. Looks like I hit a nerve when I wanted better for you . Don't get me wrong, recalls are great. But being happy about a recall in my eyes lowers your expectations for the future, from any manufacturer.

If I were you, I'd be *relieved* that the component in question did not fail while I was out on a drive in the middle of nowhere and leave me stranded. Happy? No sir. I leave that to bigger accomplishments than a recall. A proactive recall and fixing mistakes made during manufacture is the lowest expectation.

The car I drive is a 2006 Hyundai Tucson. Parts are getting harder and harder to source so I wouldn't wish it on you now. It's still a great primary car to drive though, even after the odo has started displaying numbers larger than 180k.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st March 2021 at 07:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:13   #115
BHPian

Quote:
It's when we settle for being "happy" about a manufacturer fixing an error that we lower our overall expectations.
And that accurately explains the current state of things! A legacy left behind by the British, I guess.

You are not supposed to have high expectations, and are expected to be 'happy" you're even getting minimum levels of service here, even now!

My friend who had booked the Thar in October is still waiting for a delivery date after paying the whole amount, and let me just tell you the things we've heard from random people. This seems to be the general sentiment:

"You should consider yourself lucky to even have a booking"
"Owning a Thar is a dream, stop cribbing"
"Do you even know how many people want one?"
"You've to wait in line for this, like everyone else is"
"Sir Mahindra is working overtime on this"
"So you don't want to support Indian manufacturers? What are you!"

A little bit of criticism is always necessary I feel, to progress. And I think the whole waiting period thing is getting ridiculous, with no definitive delivery dates for petrol automatics.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

I was following the conversation and was thinking that the whole discussions of the past few posts seems to be a discussion on semantics and definitions of being ‘Happy’ or being ‘ok’ or being ‘Content’. This varies for different individuals and the words can be used inter changeably.

Phoenix is ‘happy’ with the experience he’s getting from Mahindra, may not necessarily be ‘happy’ with a recall. A recall has been done by almost all manufacturers, but the way it’s being dealt with is what can make one ok/happy/content. I guess that’s what I’m reading.

Purely OT though.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 15:00   #117
Senior - BHPian

I think the Mods should create another thread for "Arguments for and against recalls" and spare this wonderful ownership thread from off topic banter.
Edit: I'd also like to know which brands are "NOT" mediocre? I mean which have never had any recalls. Please help me with this knowledge. Thanks.

Phoenix, wonderful that you're getting a great treatment from your dealer. It makes a huge difference in the ownership experience when you and your vehicle are taken care of properly. I think the treatment as shared by you can be a learning lesson to quite a few "premium" vehicle dealerships and companies.

Do share some pics of the luggage loadings and your adventures with your Thar. It is a pleasure to go through your thread.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 31st March 2021 at 15:07.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 07:25   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I think the Mods should create another thread for "Arguments for and against recalls" and spare this wonderful ownership thread from off topic banter.
Agreed. No more recall-related posts on this awesome ownership thread please. Anymore will be deleted. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 23:10   #119

Quote:

Hello mate, welcome to Team BHP - and as this is your first post here, I'll definitely make a video for you on removing the CT completely - but please give me till this weekend!

While we're at that, I'll put this to-do list here as a reference for stuff I should add to my ownership thread -
  • Removing CT - Video
If there's anything more that I can help with, do add on and I'll try to get what I can.

Heads up - I'm a procrastinator

Phoenix saar, gentle reminder on the convertible top removal video
Old 5th April 2021, 18:36   #120
BHPian

Quote:
  • Removing CT - Video
Could you please provide some detail on how the dashcam wires are routed along with hardwiring?
How easy is it to do?
I have ordered 70mai A800S Dual Channel and planning to install by myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks