Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 13:52   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scratch that itch - A 80 hairpin bend roundtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...When you "flash" the high beam, both low and high are in "ON" state...
That is what I expected - but in the Thar, the low beam switches off even when flashing. In pitch dark ghar sections, this causes quite a bit of a blind spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Only in older vehicles (usually). Modern vehicles with distinct elements/setups will have the low beam remain on, and the high beam flash off-on-off.

BMWs with bi-xenon (though the element is the same), will also behave in the same way - the cut-off shutter will simply move aside to flash high beam.
My Getz and Verna had H4 setup (no distinct elements) but I do not remember the lows switching off when flashing - but then I may be wrong.

On a related note, I have been trying to get 4300K LEDs for the headlight - they are non-existent in India, and Ali Express is not accepting orders from India either?!! I do not want to settle for those horrible, horrible white LEDs with 6000K or 6500K bulbs, would rather drive with the stock setup instead!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:06   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

On a related note, I have been trying to get 4300K LEDs for the headlight - they are non-existent in India, and Ali Express is not accepting orders from India either?!! I do not want to settle for those horrible, horrible white LEDs with 6000K or 6500K bulbs, would rather drive with the stock setup instead!
4300K is still whiteish compared to a pure helogen experience. If you drive consistently in ghats/fogs or visibility impaired conditions, I would say go for 3000K(Pure Yellow) or 3500K (Almost close to Helogen experience)
geekyengineer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
4300K is still whiteish compared to a pure helogen experience. If you drive consistently in ghats/fogs or visibility impaired conditions, I would say go for 3000K(Pure Yellow) or 3500K (Almost close to Helogen experience)
You are right about the colours. I choose 4300K for the headlights (these are the same as Xenon HIDs in OE headlamps from most manufacturers) because this has the best combo of throw without compromising how soon my eyes adapt to what is beyond the throw (if you know what I mean) - I have used this extensively.

I prefer 3000K for the fogs in normal conditions, and maybe 2600K when severe fogging in expected.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 19:51   #79
BHPian

Quote:
I choose 4300K for the headlights
Firstly, thanks for posting the review and the detailed follow ups and updates, it was a pleasure reading and following your Thar's story. I hope you keep this thread alive with further updates.

That begin said, have you switched out the headlight lamps yet? Would love to hear about your experience and advice to others regarding upgrading the lights.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 20:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Firstly, thanks for posting the review and the detailed follow ups and updates, it was a pleasure reading and following your Thar's story. I hope you keep this thread alive with further updates.

That begin said, have you switched out the headlight lamps yet? Would love to hear about your experience and advice to others regarding upgrading the lights.
Thank you the good word! I sure will - though will post major updates instead of smaller bits or pieces every other day Right now the update queue is on 70Mai RVM DVR + Rear view camera, ICE, and a few other stuff.

I did not do anything about the headlights yet - Ali Express is not delivering to India, and there are no 4300K LEDs available in India. Right now it is an impasse - more so because I do not have trip to the hills on the plan yet.

I'll await @Capt.Arun's experience with the headlights that he has bought, and then take a call.
Old 17th January 2021, 21:01   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

Good, informative posts, @Phoenix !
Quote:
.... . I tanked up at Shell Ambattur, .
Though you have already stated you dont look at the FE numbers, still wanted to share that I avoid Shell for the Storme. Reliance, or IOC in that order is what I find best suited. BP, HP if neither of the first two are available. That leaves MRPL and Essar at the end.

Have you noticed any difference in the engine behaviour with different brands ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 21:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

re: Taste of Freedom | My Mahindra Thar LX Diesel AT Review | 1 year & 23,000 km update (Page 12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Though you have already stated you dont look at the FE numbers, still wanted to share that I avoid Shell for the Storme. Reliance, or IOC in that order is what I find best suited. BP, HP if neither of the first two are available. That leaves MRPL and Essar at the end.

Have you noticed any difference in the engine behaviour with different brands ?
Been a real longtime Condor!!! I never got to meet you in Bangalore all these years - maybe sometime soon, a drive just for that

Here are my observations - right now it looks like there is no benefit of Shell, and IOC and Reliance looks better.
  • Shell - 3 tankfuls. Least was 10.15 KMPL (partial/ top-up), and best was 11.45 KMPL. All three times were affected by Water-in-Fuel (sensor issue), and hence weren't true mileage because fuel filter cartridge was cleaned, replaced or the tank was emptied.
  • Reliance - one filling, 11.83 KMPL
  • IOC - 3 tankfuls. Least was 11.23, and best was 13.44 (this was me trying to see that is the best mileage I can achieve by doing a 90 KMPH drive!)
  • HP - 1 tankful, 11.30 KMPL.
I do not really find any difference in engine smoothness or behavior at all. I will do a Shell once again when I visit Madras later this month and see how it is, now that the Water-in-Fuel sensor issue is sorted.
Old 17th January 2021, 21:28   #83
Senior - BHPian

Off topic question to Condor: Any particular reason that you avoid the Shell for your storme?

And Condor, it’s really been long (several years now)and hope you’re doing good. We had last met for a Safari drive meet and after that, never. The only non-Safari owner that day was Parag Sachania (If you can recall)

ph03n!x- did you check out the videos of the Hand Rests from Bimbra? Are you planning to do any such mods for the Hand rest for both front and back?
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 21:35   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Off topic question to Condor: Any particular reason that you avoid the Shell for your storme?
When Shell came to India around 10 years back, I used to particularly fill that for some time. That was when I had the Sumo Victa. Back then, Shell also used to be at a slight premium. But with both the Sumo and the Storme, I find the engine softer, and the FE also dropping. The Best FE I get is with Reliance + System-D. Next is IOC. Though Shell is perceived to be cleaner, I get around this point by sticking to a small number of IOC bunks. Reliance has been fine all along, from when they came in and after that break they took in between. Add to all this, the prices.

Yes, it's been a while since we met. Btw, Varun recently shared with me a clip of that meet

@Phoenix we have met long back I think, but so long back that I forgot when. Let's catch up sometime, guys.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 22:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
ph03n!x- did you check out the videos of the Hand Rests from Bimbra? Are you planning to do any such mods for the Hand rest for both front and back?
I did, but I don't plan to do that now - the back seat is more or less kids exclusive for me - and for the front, I will need both hands on the wheel especially at 90+ KMPH, thanks to the way the Thar handles - being a one-handed driver all these years, am consciously practicing this
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Phoenix we have met long back I think, but so long back that I forgot when. Let's catch up sometime, guys.
Yes, we did meet - but just about. Don't think we sat down for a cuppa, or did a drive or anything. I will plan something in Feb and come over - let me know how you are placed!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 17th January 2021 at 22:37.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 14:09   #86
BHPian

Quote:
My Getz and Verna had H4 setup (no distinct elements) but I do not remember the lows switching off when flashing - but then I may be wrong.

I'll have to check my relative's ~2008 Getz and get back to you.

And yes, the Ali Express effective ban has been a source of some distress to many enthusiasts/trinket-lovers including myself.

I agree. Anything above 4200-4300K is useless. I'm not a fan of LEDs either (though I don't mind tri-colour LED fog lamps). I'm a fan of HID projectors.

The options for simple upgrades are pretty restricted right now, but there are some modders up north who open out your headlight and then it can be modified completely to your liking. I personally know of 2 Endeavour owners who have been running such setups trouble free for over a year now. Though I'm still not convinced - a conversation with the actual modder left me a little bit in doubt of both the quality and specifications of components in use (also, prices are too good to be true, even when you compare with US prices of much simpler HID conversion kits).

Just FYI, the above.

Anyhoo, while I have you... Been meaning to reply for ages about how much I love your thread. I'd chanced upon it before it even ran to the second page, but I just never got around to complimenting you on how much I loved your thread. Long time since I read anything word for word completely here on TeamBHP. Dare say it's about the best thing I've read here, ever. Loved not just the narration, but I really dig your attention to detail.

Cheers!
Old 19th January 2021, 15:25   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Right now the update queue is on 70Mai RVM DVR + Rear view camera, ICE, and a few other stuff.
Oh yeah, that's another thing I was looking into. I had asked here earlier (on another thread) about the essential accessories for the Thar, and was told that the OEM rear view cam isn't very good (although I dont know why its not, I have to trust people here as they seem more knowledgable than I).

So do tell us about your install experience and first impressions on the RVM-DVR+Cam. I am generally loathe about too much electronics in vehicles but curious about this one since it seems to be a necessary add-on from a security/safety perspective.
Old 19th January 2021, 16:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Is the New Thar LX with the H4 bulbs? Can I upgrade with a 130/100 halogen direct fit? Max maybe add a higher capacity relay wiring harness, the readymade ones from Uno Minda or Hella/Philips?
And, Which is a dependable direct fit Arm Rest for the front seats.
Old 19th January 2021, 17:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Service, and Major Niggle #1

Quote:

I do not know if that is what happened to my Thar - while I was in the service center, I was not standing next to the Thar all the time. But then how is the error disappearing after 3 days, only to be back on the 5th day?

Anyway, I hope this is just a hiccup, and I will back on the roads (or hills - which is what I wanted to do this weekend) soon!
[/left]
M&M now propose something called Eco wash. They carefully ensure they do not wash the engine bay area. I own an XUV300 and I was very apprehensive of the technician using spray jet. They did not do it, they used limited water and high pressure air to clean the engine bay. The top of the car was also not washed by water, rather was cleaned by wet cloths.

Congratulations on the acquisition. Wish you many miles of happy and hassle free ownership. M&M has got much better with their customer support, I hope they continue to improve their standards, good to see Indian brands make it big.
Old 1st February 2021, 00:31   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Service, and Major Niggle #1

I owe this thread an update, long due.

But I have good reasons - How does offroading (rock climbing, stock!) with @ex670c, @petrol_head, @sidster and Sharan and Ramesh sound for one? If you ain't convinced yet, you should probably stop reading this thread and get to know the members I quoted

Or, how does ~8000 KM sound for #2? And a minor ICE upgrade (# 2.5)?

I really need to take time to post about these, so please bear with me... I will get around to it pretty soon enough.

If any new or prospective Thar owners have anything, please feel free to shoot - I may not be a fickler in posting updates, but I will do my best to answer you based on my ownership. I can tell everyone this - if this kind of a vehicle fits your bill, just book it - there will be enough time to get answers, and am sure I would have done about 30,000 KM before end of my 1 year mark, and can give enough guidance - there is enough help in store from M&M's senior leadership behind this vehicle to ensure you are not short-changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
I'll have to check my relative's ~2008 Getz and get back to you.

And yes, the Ali Express effective ban has been a source of some distress to many enthusiasts/trinket-lovers including myself.

I agree. Anything above 4200-4300K is useless. I'm not a fan of LEDs either (though I don't mind tri-colour LED fog lamps). I'm a fan of HID projectors.

The options for simple upgrades are pretty restricted right now, but there are some modders up north who open out your headlight and then it can be modified completely to your liking. I personally know of 2 Endeavour owners who have been running such setups trouble free for over a year now. Though I'm still not convinced - a conversation with the actual modder left me a little bit in doubt of both the quality and specifications of components in use (also, prices are too good to be true, even when you compare with US prices of much simpler HID conversion kits).

Just FYI, the above.

Anyhoo, while I have you... Been meaning to reply for ages about how much I love your thread. I'd chanced upon it before it even ran to the second page, but I just never got around to complimenting you on how much I loved your thread. Long time since I read anything word for word completely here on TeamBHP. Dare say it's about the best thing I've read here, ever. Loved not just the narration, but I really dig your attention to detail.

Cheers!
I modded my Getz to Xenon HID from TRS long back. But the end result is not hunky dory - Xenons generate a lot more heat, and have a heavier dynamics to manage too. If you need more reasons to strengthen your doubts, talk to me!!! I need to know that there exists reliable 4000K to 5000K LED replacements for the halogens (no projectors, just reflectors) , and then I will venture something worthwhile with the 7" headlamps - as these are 7", there are a lot of 3rd party mod options too. Maybe someday...

Thank you for enjoying my journey right along with me. I will definitely not disappoint with my next set of updates (if only I get the time off from the machine and get to write something more than this post )
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Oh yeah, that's another thing I was looking into. I had asked here earlier (on another thread) about the essential accessories for the Thar, and was told that the OEM rear view cam isn't very good (although I dont know why its not, I have to trust people here as they seem more knowledgable than I).

So do tell us about your install experience and first impressions on the RVM-DVR+Cam. I am generally loathe about too much electronics in vehicles but curious about this one since it seems to be a necessary add-on from a security/safety perspective.
I have ran it for a few 1000 KM now - I initially wanted the DDPAI Mola E3, but that being unavailable, I settled for the 70mai. I am not disappointed at all - I will post the front and back angles of the dashcam recording of the offroading I did with the Terra Tigers, as well as a minor review later on. Bottom line - buy it, and get the hardwire kit too - worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Is the New Thar LX with the H4 bulbs? Can I upgrade with a 130/100 halogen direct fit? Max maybe add a higher capacity relay wiring harness, the readymade ones from Uno Minda or Hella/Philips?
And, Which is a dependable direct fit Arm Rest for the front seats.
Yes, it is H4. Yes, 130/ 100 is a dircet fit with ceramic holders and a good relay. But let me tell you this - the stock is not inferior and I have been doing fine for 90% of the clocks I have covered. The only time i needed something better was in pitch dark nights in the ghats when the high beam will switch off the lows, leaving a.. umm.. grey spot. Otherwise, the stock is pretty decent that even buses and lorries will lower their beam if you flash them.

I haven't bothered with an arm rest at all - I am still getting used to driving with both my hands on the wheel - something the Thar needs when doing 120+ KMPH. And I am not used to, for all my 25 years of driving!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
M&M now propose something called Eco wash. They carefully ensure they do not wash the engine bay area. I own an XUV300 and I was very apprehensive of the technician using spray jet. They did not do it, they used limited water and high pressure air to clean the engine bay. The top of the car was also not washed by water, rather was cleaned by wet cloths.

Congratulations on the acquisition. Wish you many miles of happy and hassle free ownership. M&M has got much better with their customer support, I hope they continue to improve their standards, good to see Indian brands make it big.
Thanks mate! M&M is actually a good benchmark getting off the gate without any deal-breakers, and on solving issues as they occur without too much of a hassle. I will pick up a M&M or a Tata any day, above the Jap-Indians, Koreans, Europeans or Americans just for that. And their new launches are mouth-watering too!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 1st February 2021 at 00:37.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks