Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 13:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Red Phoenix - My Used Jeep Compass Limited (D) MT : An Ownership Review

Two things:

1. Harrier has service period of 10k intervals after 3rd service.
2. Instead of HID upgrade go for AUTOBAHN LED F5 G-XP3 in HB3, I had tried my hand on Osram DHB3 4200K for my Compass only for one of the tubes to fuse and no help from Osram for warranty. The F5's are much better for flashing and better throw wise but you will have to adjust level.

The review is great I got to recall all the reasons why I had gotten my Compass.
ajaiD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 13:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
Cool acquiring and a smashing write up. I have been a silent follower of your TUV hassle and I am happy to see you getting rid of it.
Thank you Jagann. TUV though was a pain in my back, I had a love-hate relationship with it. I still do miss it, but I had to let go of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
From the problematic rusty TUV to Jeep Compass, congrats on the new acquisition.

You are lucky to find such an immaculately maintained Jeep.
Thank you WhiteSierra. I think after the horrible experience and compromises I made with TUV, I deserved a little bit of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Buying a fantastic used car is always a joy. You will derive the best VFM on these purchases. The car looks smashing and a great buy.

The way you have been pro-active on keeping everything ready with your finances for a quick RTGS transfer just reminded me of exactly all that I did as well
Thank you swami69. Congrats on your purchase and wishing you happy miles ahead. I guess great minds think alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Congratulations brother! You just got yourself a car which was maintained like a gem. One thing that caught my attention was the 3M rodent thing. Where did you get it done? Can you elaborate more about it?
Thank you saikishor. I had got rodent treatment on my old TUV and Compass both at 3M. TUV was done at 3M outlet near Ayyappa Society, before the T-cross at 100 feet road. Compass rodent treatment was done at my hometown Warangal outlet.

This is a simple process, actually you can DIY yourself (many YouTube videos also available). All you need is a 3M rat repellent spray which is sold on Amazon for 450 odd bucks.

Link - https://www.amazon.in/3M-Rodent-Repellant-Coating/dp/B07GBBKF54/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=rodent+spray&qid=1611 130846&sr=8-7

Firstly you will have to clean your engine bay with degreaser (or regular car shampoo diluted with water). Then dry it off and spray this rodent repellent all over the engine bay and especially all over the wiring which is visible to you. Make sure you wear the right protection before doing it. You can save 700 odd bucks this way. I intend to do it myself the next time. As per 3M manager, this spray will last for only 3 months, but as per my experience it should last for 5-6 months.

Alternatively visit any 3M outlet during off-peak hours and it will hardly take 30 minutes. The spray acts as a kind of bonding agent and it will make the rats life hard to chew the wiring. The smell will hardly last for couple of days, this treatment will not keep rats away, I still see rat droppings in the engine bay. It will only make the wire hard by adding an extra layer over them. I also keep rat gum mats with poison chocolates just as back up in the engine bay, as I am not using my car regularly.

Red Phoenix - My Used Jeep Compass Limited (D) MT : An Ownership Review-img_20210120_112759.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Congratulations on such a fine write up. You have covered all aspects of the car and it was a very interesting read. Wishing you plenty of happy kilometres of driving.
Thank you Harsha89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Your TUV thread was awesome and this one is even better.

Your car is practically new so why did they need to even touch the timing belt? Also, what's a belt stretched and again why would it need any stretching on a low run, almost new car?
Thank you Iyencar. I am sorry if the costs got you confused, I just listed out the prices and labor charges. The 1st owner got 2 services done, I am yet to go to service center for any scheduled maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Excellent write up and you got yourself an excellent deal on a well maintained Jeep Compass Wishing you many Safe and Happy miles with it.
Thank you vsrivatsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirumalavoleti View Post
Congrats buddy. Red jeep compass is smashing.

I was following your car search thread and was waiting if you would buy Harrier. But Jeep is awesome
Thank you tirumalavoleti. Harrier was a worthy contender, but the VFM aspect was missing badly in the XE variant. Too many missing features for a 16 lakhs on road vehicle and the interiors and ergonomics were deal breaker. I never found a BS6 used Harrier XZ+ variant in the market, so Harrier was out of the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
That was a brilliant writeup and very very detailed! All the very best on yur lovely pre-owned Jeep. I had purchased the Jeep Petrol AT last year via the same pre owned route and got it for 16 lakhs for a 2018 model.
You had highligthed every single likes/dislikes I had thought of the Jeep, especially the horrible headlamps. My humble Sunny has a far better reach than this!

BTW I was suprised that you put in 32 psi in front...that's like 3 psi less than the recommended one. Won't that be a problem for the tyre life and driving dynamics? Do let me know cause I have the same issue and doubt (the petrol version has the same tyre pressure but I would have thought that might be required for a diesel due to heavier engine.)
Thank you rosh_aveo1.4. Congrats on your Petrol AT. Wishing you happy miles ahead. I agree with you on the headlights, we also have a Renault Scala (which is practically a re-badged Sunny) and it had good throw. I am not planning for any upgrades to headlights as the SA clearly mentioned it will void the warranty. I am also looking for extended warranty, so will have to live with this until Jeep comes up with an official accessory.

Yes I am maintaining 32 PSI on all tires currently, the ride felt plush and no issues faced. 35 PSI felt a bit bouncy. I however, now changed it to 34 PSI all around as I had planned few trips with my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
Congratulations on your new Jeep. It certainly is a worthy upgrade for a serious enthusiast like you. Love the detail that you've gone into in your write-up.
Thank you fast&curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Congratz. Compass is a true enthusiast’s car and it looks best in red colour. A used Compass is high on my list too for my next car.
Thank you Aakash118. Best of luck with your hunt, waiting for your ownership review.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 20th January 2021 at 14:11.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 14:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
Two things:

1. Harrier has service period of 10k intervals after 3rd service.
2. Instead of HID upgrade go for AUTOBAHN LED F5 G-XP3 in HB3, I had tried my hand on Osram DHB3 4200K for my Compass only for one of the tubes to fuse and no help from Osram for warranty. The F5's are much better for flashing and better throw wise but you will have to adjust level.

The review is great I got to recall all the reasons why I had gotten my Compass.
Thank you ajaiD. Regarding the service interval of Harrier I was referring to TBHP official review, let me quote it below

Quote:
Service visit every 6 months / 7500 km (12-months is the norm today)
I believe later it was changed to 10k/12 months after the launch of BS6 variant. I guess it was service visit every 7500 km / 6 months for general checkup and not service.

Regarding the HID upgrade, I will wait out till warranty is expired before I go with any aftermarket fitments. My Compass still has 1.5 years warranty left and planning to take the 2 years extended warranty. I just wish Jeep brings this as an official accessory. Did Jeep A.S.S notice your headlights upgrade? Any comments from them?
Old 20th January 2021, 15:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Ramnaresh on your (New) Jeep Compass and it is extremely well maintained ! Welcome to the Jeep club from a fellow Compass owner.
I would also recommend getting the headlights upgraded to HID with Osram DHB3 4200K HID kits. The existing halogen on the Limited versions are absolutely pathetic and a safety hazard. I upgraded my Compass almost 2 years back ( mine is 3 1/2 years old now) and the upgrade is well worth it. There is no cutting of wires involved so warranty should not be an issue. Check with your local Jeep dealership too, I believe they have started doing it now. When I had bought my car, the Jeep dealership was selling LED Bulbs (which I bought for 18K from them and they were absolutely hopeless). The proper upgrade for the Jeep Limited Halogen headlights is with a 35W 4200K HID kit.

If you need any advice, do reach out to me and also go through my ownership thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...2-limited.html )
I have shared details of all my upgrades there.

Wish you a great ownership experience and miles of smiles!
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Congrats Ramnaresh on your (New) Jeep Compass and it is extremely well maintained ! Welcome to the Jeep club from a fellow Compass owner.
I would also recommend getting the headlights upgraded to HID with Osram DHB3 4200K HID kits.

If you need any advice, do reach out to me and also go through my ownership thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...2-limited.html )

Thank you Behemoth. I will be checking with my local dealer tomorrow on the HID upgrade and warranty issues. I am already aware of your ownership thread, I guess you might have missed it, but I actually did quote about your thread in my ownership review . I was following your thread from last year.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 16:03   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase! That is some beauty you picked up. And hats off to your attention to details and the efforts you put together to create this thread.

You mentioned about roof rails - are you planning to install these? Do you have the need for this extra capacity?
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 17:46   #22
BHPian

It was a real pleasure to read this extensive thread. Congratulations on the new acquisition. Your car really looks like a new one. I learnt a lot about the Compass from your thread. In fact, I really had no idea that it was this good a car, loaded with features. I don't think too many people will be as lucky to get a pre worshipped car in such an excellent condition. Enjoy your drive for many years.
eyeman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:13   #23
BHPian

What a write-up. Amazing pictures and great details. Thank you so much for sharing your entire experience. Wishing you many happy miles with your Asura
SatyRoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:14   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on your phoenix. I have seen the passion you have for your dream car. Have a safe and happy driving ahead.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:46   #25
BHPian

Congrats Ramnaresh for the wonderful buy. Compass is indeed a great car and equally wonderful is your review. Since you got it preowned, it’s a value for money buy as well. 12k is nothing for a modern engine. Happy miles!
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 07:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review with some nice pics and details about Compass!

For 16.5L, you got a very nice deal. We need some patience and luck to get the right car, right colour, right pricing in used market and you got it. Your Jeep looks in pristine condition. Also, you have nicely captured the details from the start to end of this deal.

Don't miss to take the extended warranty. It is very much needed for cars in this age.

Wishing you many many happy and safe miles ahead!
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 13:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Congratulations on the purchase! That is some beauty you picked up. And hats off to your attention to details and the efforts you put together to create this thread.

You mentioned about roof rails - are you planning to install these? Do you have the need for this extra capacity?
Thank you kedar_GT. I mentioned about roof rails just as an FYI, I have no intention to buy them. I am happy with the boot space in Compass. It is not huge, but it is enough for my trips. I rarely do any long trips, and even when do long trips I always try to travel light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeman View Post
It was a real pleasure to read this extensive thread. Congratulations on the new acquisition. Your car really looks like a new one. I learnt a lot about the Compass from your thread. In fact, I really had no idea that it was this good a car, loaded with features.
Thank you eyeman. I have been following Compass since it's launch in 2017 and kind of addicted to it. I had read and watched almost all of it's reviews, so it was helpful to me when I penned down my ownership review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatyRoy View Post
What a write-up. Amazing pictures and great details. Thank you so much for sharing your entire experience. Wishing you many happy miles with your Asura
Thank you SatyRoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post
Congratulations on your phoenix. I have seen the passion you have for your dream car. Have a safe and happy driving ahead.
Thank you for the wishes and observations Sasanka_Sanga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congrats Ramnaresh for the wonderful buy. Compass is indeed a great car and equally wonderful is your review. Since you got it preowned, it’s a value for money buy as well. 12k is nothing for a modern engine. Happy miles!
Thank you abhi_tjet. I am glad that you liked my ownership review. I agree that pre-owned Compass is a great VFM as most of the depreciation hits in the first 3 years of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Excellent review with some nice pics and details about Compass!

For 16.5L, you got a very nice deal. We need some patience and luck to get the right car, right colour, right pricing in used market and you got it. Your Jeep looks in pristine condition. Also, you have nicely captured the details from the start to end of this deal.

Don't miss to take the extended warranty. It is very much needed for cars in this age.
Thank you so much arun_josie. I am really happy to see your comment here, I was following your Scarlett ownership thread from the beginning and enjoyed it a lot.

After suffering for almost 3.5 years with lemon vehicle, I think I deserved a little bit of luck. Not many people knew this and I have also not captured in my ownership review, I was very close to purchasing a pre-owned Compass Longitude Optional variant back in 2019. The dealer quoted 17.5 lakhs and I offered 15 lakhs as it required tire changes and insurance renewal, the deal did not go through as the dealer did not budge.

I then also explored the options to buy a brand new Sports variant, I got a quotation of 17.5 lakhs for a 1 year old demo vehicle, but did not finalize it at that time. It was loaded with genuine Jeep accessories like Seat covers, reverse camera, side steps and roof rails. It was silver color, and I somehow did not want to risk with a demo vehicle which is lying around for more than an year in dealer stockyard.

I visited many used cars dealers in Hyderabad, out of 30+ odd dealers I visited, there were only 8 Compass in manual diesel. 1 red color Limited 2018 model was quoted for 17.5 lakhs, almost 3 dealers showed me the same vehicle. I then realized how dealers are abusing customer vehicles and rotating it within many dealerships. I dropped the idea of buying from dealers and wanted to buy directly from owners even it meant more paperwork. I was just lucky that after 1 year of searching, I was finally connected with my Phoenix.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 13:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Great buy. Did you come across any 4*4's? What were the asking rates?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 15:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Ramnaresh! You seem to have got a very good deal on the compass and you absolutely deserved it after the crappy expereince with TUV.
Hope you have many miles of untroubled fun with your red phoenix.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Great buy. Did you come across any 4*4's? What were the asking rates?
Thank you Red Liner. I have not come across any 4X4 or Trailhawk variants during my search. I believe these are sold in very limited numbers here in Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Congratulations Ramnaresh! You seem to have got a very good deal on the compass and you absolutely deserved it after the crappy experience with TUV.
Hope you have many miles of untroubled fun with your red phoenix.
Thank you procrj. Hopefully this ownership will be fuzz free. Fingers crossed.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed