Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 20:06   #151
BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

It is indeed a brilliant looking car. Whatever the story behind them re-christening it as a Safari, it is a good name and a good choice. If they chose Gravitas many would still come bashing it asking why Tata could not think of a better name.

It's like the people who bash the new Land Rover Defender for not staying true to its lineage. One look at the capability of the new Defender will knock your socks off.

If we want companies to keep making a car that is loved, it has to turn profits for them else they cannot make it no more. Putting in a manufacturing line to add a 4X4 will add heavy cost to the already incurred cost for development. Right now they want to recoup some cost by selling the non 4X4 variants and over time I am sure if there is enough demand for it, they will make it.

I would go a step ahead and ask Tata Motors to setup a separate division that would take a standard Safari and make some upgrades to it - Design, Suspension, Engine tuning, 4X4 and the like. Those who'd like to pay for it, it could be made available for.

Seats and materials - World over manufacturers are moving to vegan upholstery or at least offering it. Textile seats along with a mix of faux leather will bring the cost down as well.

Lights - Bi-Xenon wiring adds more weight and is more complex and more prone to failure. Why would they not put LEDs? Baffling choice.

Ventilated seats - This is all good in the first 2 years of ownership. After that it will cease to be effective. Good choice in avoiding that like the plague.

Instrument cluster - Certainly could have put an all digital one. Personally i do not like the current setup in any of their cars.

Infotainment - Could again have taken it a notch up or at least made the software more phone like in terms of feedback and speed. Maybe they will.

Overall - A solid product made in India that many of us would be proud to drive in personally. May not be totally perfect, but should leave us with a permanently plastered smile always.
NevGin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 20:40   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan View Post
9/10 people on the streets wouldn't be able to tell this apart from the Harrier.

I am trying to not sound like a purist or a snob, but Tata has let down the Safari brand name with this repurposed effort.
What all did the SAFARI brand achieve? For all it's so called cult status or fan following, it could never beat scorpio in sales. Even today scorpio sells in big numbers which safari can only dream about. What is the use of fan following if it doesn't translate into sales. I don't see so much of a let down/ dilution of brand value. Even if tata equipped this one with AWD, it will be never used for serious offroading.
DonHyd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 21:14   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Look at Yaris that did this. Everyone called it expensive and it was a royal flop.
Yaris had too many issues. Having considered it seriously here's what put me off:

1. Cramped back seat. It felt worse than my Vento for seating three. And I drive with a car seat in the back.

2. Engine. Mediocre at best. Felt underpowered.

3. Some idiotic things like no Android Auto/CarPlay.

Toyota cars are incredibly reliable, and I'd be happy to have one (not really a badge though). But if I were to buy a comparable Rapid, top spec with all the discounts, I could put a cool 4 odd L for any future costs for any long term challenges on the Rapid and enjoy that sweet engine. That with extended 6-yr warranty paid for.
Old 27th January 2021, 21:36   #154
BHPian

Autocar India First Look of Safari:

3 color options in the beginning:

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-aci-safari-1.png

73 Liters boot space with all rows up:

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-aci-safari-2.png

Imposing and sizeable profile:

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-aci-safari-5.png

Bookings start on 4th Feb'21.
museycal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 23:04   #155
BHPian

Long awaited!! From Gravitas to Safari. I'm honestly thinking about purchasing Safari/Harrier. My thoughts
1. Making use of the omega arc platform is a good move, my question is more on how stable the car has become with all the additions to the platform? Significant body roll expected? Maneuverability at corners with confidence?
2. 70l boot space is all that we can expect at full seating capacity, at least with the third row folded it could have made a flat floor one.
3. I think we can expect a slight lag provided they've kept the torque the same as Harrier and with the length increased and 70kgs heavier.
4. Every Indian's question: Kitna deti hai?

I'll be more inclined to purchase Harrier XZ variant, provided they add the connected car technology there, which I feel could be introduced with the 1.5l petrol engine (still speculating). Thanks!! #firstpost

MOD NOTE - Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th January 2021 at 08:53. Reason: Mod note attached.
subramaniamj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 23:11   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by museycal View Post

Attachment 2114289
That is surprisingly low. The Safari seems to be equal, if not more, in length to the Innova Crysta. One would expect it to offer similar space for luggage.

This looks barely any more than the current XUV500, which itself is the least I've seen in any 7 seater with a bench 3rd row.
Old 27th January 2021, 23:32   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
When that is done, the price of base variant gives a sticker shock. 6 airbags don't come cheap. Also, since the side airbags are put in the seat, you can't put a seat cover. So leatherette seats needs to be given instead of fabric.

Look at Yaris that did this. Everyone called it expensive and it was a royal flop.
I believe the main reason Yaris flopped was because of its looks, engine and performance(in a segment which has Honda city, even new verna is powerful) with no great mileage either and most importantly PRICE. Toyota tried to do an Innova but royally flopped not realising the segment was much more competitive than Innova and tried to exploit the T-badge value. Actually the safety kit was one of the only redeeming factors of the car which other than good ride quality had no other class leading qualities.

Anyway, sorry for digressing. To continue discussion about the Safari.
1. I am happy TATA has used the Safari name. For people who keep harping on body on frame even Range Rover has moved on. Also the old Safari 4x4 never had the off road capabilities of what the Fortuner (latest and last gen) or Endeavour have. I believe the weight and maybe engine gearing made it get stuck pretty often. See our Anshuman videos. Lastly if I’m not wrong, less than 6% of Safari’s sold were 4wd. When it comes to the 2wd model comparison between both, I feel the Harrier or new Safari’s drive modes might work slightly better than the 2wd old Safari. Lastly the new Safari is better in every which way, even when you take the old Safari’s strongpoints which include ride, seat comfort and looks.

2. To quote an analogy, how many of us remember the car called Matiz. At that time it was a revolution with its looks, better suspension and engine than the Santro(top buy at that time) and even comparable quality. Now no one even remembers it. So a legacy such as Safari or Scorpio should not be allowed to fade as such. If skoda had not resurrected the Octavia name and continued with Laura for the next two generations, maybe in another 5 years everyone but us enthusiasts would not even know Octavia.

3. I think side and curtain airbags might add a maximum of 40-60k to the price. In a price segment upwards of 20 lakhs, having this from the base variant might not really hit sales that hard if they are there from the start of sales and is not introduced as option packs later. Also it will add to TATA’s image of a safe car manufacturer. I was hoping Toyota would do the same for Innova like it did with Yaris, but it never happened. They continued to hike the price by 20-30k, they could have as well done a 50k for more airbags from the GX version onwards.

4. Yes, sorry for the long rant, but at the end of the day even I sincerely hope Safari comes out with 4x4 within the next one year. Even if it’s going to be just a basic one.
spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 23:32   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Autocar India First Look of Safari:

3 color options in the beginning:
They removed the video. Wonder what did they violate

That said, the car sure looks handsome leaving aside few irks on the headlight and 3 quarter glass area. It was handling the terrain quite well in the video. Looking forward to the Team-Bhp official review.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 23:54   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
They removed the video. Wonder what did they violate
I guess the embargo is in place up to 01/02/2021, IIRC. Maybe that's why no other publications came out with their first drive videos today.

Guess this was just another instance in the comedy of flip-flops that was this car launch.
Old 28th January 2021, 08:05   #160
BHPian

I am not happy with the front looks, it resembles same as Harrier. Even for some of the facelifts, TATA did some minor changes to make the car a bit different that previous gen. I think, they should have had a different look all together. A person shelling more than 25L on this car deserves more.
Old 28th January 2021, 08:53   #161
BANNED

In the meanwhile, another set of over-enthusiastic auto bloggers have broken the embargo. Check and thoroughly enjoy the 20 minute slice of Safari. Not a complete review, but quite a nice walkaround which virtually is going to answer every single question about the exterior and interior:

Suggestion: Watch it on a full HD (1080p) compatible screen, if possible, then on TV or PC or ipad, this video is a treat to watch in full HD, just keep on getting the video paused and notice the details, entirely.

Last edited by VKumar : 28th January 2021 at 09:01.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 09:07   #162
Senior - BHPian

From all the recent pictures and videos, I feel the ground clearance is pretty low. Shouldn't this have the same ground clearance as Harrier? Harrier BS6 itself has pretty low ground clearance because of the AdBlue tank. I was hoping that they would do something to increase the ride height at least as a differentiator with Harrier. May be the longer cabin compared to Harrier is giving that impression. To me, it feels like ground clearance is even lower than Crysta.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 28th January 2021 at 09:10.
Old 28th January 2021, 10:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

Whatever I have seen, read about new Tata Safari till now, looks very promising. Car looks smashing and well proportionate from most of the angles. Personally I would have preferred different front end for Safari than Harrier to differentiate both cars. Something like Discovery would have looked more premium for this car. Now price is the key for it's success. If Tata can launch it at reasonable premium over Harrier, I am sure they will get good success. If Tata could sell Harrier + Safari combo more than 4K per month, I guess Tata should be happy.

Nice efforts Tata, all the very best. Keep going.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:26   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
In the meanwhile, another set of over-enthusiastic auto bloggers have broken the embargo.

Suggestion: Watch it on a full HD (1080p) compatible screen, if possible, then on TV or PC or ipad, this video is a treat to watch in full HD, just keep on getting the video paused and notice the details, entirely.
I felt dizzy in the first minute of the video the way the camera is moved around. I thought lets move to the interior and the same thing. Could no watch the video further.
Old 28th January 2021, 11:40   #165
BHPian

Quote:

Generic rant here but absolutely gobsmacked by the boot space with all three rows!

73 liters on a 15L car is so so sad when you realize that the sub4m and 5L car Renault Triber has 84 liters with all three rows up.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed