Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2021, 07:36   #211
BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
New Safari is identical to the last gen Safari storme in length and it is a little narrower than the storme too.

Thinking about it, the storme was never a proper 7 seater. It was an ultra spacious 5 seater with an enormous boot. New Safari is a much better 7 seater in comparison, but the boot space has to be compromised.
The New Safari is longer, wider and rides on a longer wheelbase than my Storme. It is also lighter (1825kg kerb) than Storme (2000kg) Only the height is lesser than my Storme.

Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater-screen-shot-20210118-11.11.16-pm.png

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 30th January 2021 at 07:43.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 07:44   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The New Safari is longer, wider and rides on a longer wheelbase than my Storme. Only the height is lesser than my Storme.
Oops, yes the width is bigger than the storme.

Even then the dimensions of storme and new Safari are very identical (0.5 cm difference) and they have tried to fit in an extra row of seats.

If the car was longer (like the fortuner/endeavour), there could be space for the luggage as well.

Longer wheelbase, monocoque construction, lesser height and weight = way better handling though

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th January 2021 at 07:50.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 07:59   #213
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, just a reminder - No more "it's not a real Safari" posts please. Let's get over it and discuss the actual car itself.

@ BHPians, please "report" any such future posts and they will be straightaway deleted - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...t-quality.html (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality)

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 09:06   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Looking at some Harrier videos on Youtube it seems that the New-gen Safari will be much better than a 4x2 Storme in commonly faced sticky situations like slush etc due to the ESP modes. Not sure of the effect of RWD vs FWD though.
Absolutely right. By the way, you will get out of extremely sticky situations even with a 4*2 if you know how to drive. I have personally driven my Storme 4*2 out of a slick oily concrete road (truck had spewed it's engine oil on to the road), for about a 300 feet stretch, which was a slight uphill (Lonavla stretch on the mumbai pune expressway). The road was as slippery as black ice and one needed to modulate the clutch and accelerator perfectly, to prevent a wheel spin, be gentle enough to allow the steering wheels to maintain traction and also ensure one didn't slip or slide. The new Safari with 14 ESP modes will make this sort of thing a cakewalk in comparison.
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 09:30   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Oops, yes the width is bigger than the storme.

Even then the dimensions of storme and new Safari are very identical (0.5 cm difference) and they have tried to fit in an extra row of seats.

If the car was longer (like the fortuner/endeavour), there could be space for the luggage as well.

Longer wheelbase, monocoque construction, lesser height and weight = way better handling though
The new Safari is relatively wider than my Storme because the storme's reported width includes sidesteps.

Yes the monocoque should give better handling and road manners.
Old 30th January 2021, 09:46   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the car was longer (like the fortuner/endeavour), there could be space for the luggage.
If they make it longer without increasing the height, then it would look like a van and meet the same fate as Hexa. So it is a trade off. Even now, it is the roof rails that makes it look proportional and gives it the SUV looks. If the stepped roof rails are not there, it runs the risk of looking like a van.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 10:57   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The new Safari is relatively wider than my Storme because the storme's reported width includes sidesteps.

Yes the monocoque should give better handling and road manners.
Why are there no floorboards for the new Safari?

Is it because you can step into one easily without them?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 11:13   #218
BHPian

Any idea when the demo vehicles will hit the showroom floors , I called the local dealer and they had no information regarding the same.
Old 30th January 2021, 12:43   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i@M.S.K View Post
Regarding "Majestic Skydome", this question might be naive.

But, doesn't it compromise on structural rigidity of the car, especially considering a crash scenario where a car might go turtle(God forbid)?
Almost all car manufacturers are following this trend now but with their own fancy namings like 'Majestic Skydome' for All New Safari.

In case of a car roll, a sunroof has no tangible effect on the structural rigidity or strength of a car, even during a rollover. The pillars and beams absorb almost all of the forces induced during a roll.

But these sunroof/moonroof have their own downsides and turn a nightmare when not used for the correct purpose, say a kid hanging out of it is itself a threat to life.
Old 30th January 2021, 15:16   #220
BHPian

This should help people who were wondering why should one buy the Safari instead of other 7 seaters in the expected price bracket. Quite surprised with what a front drive vehicle with proper traction control settings can achieve. If a 1.8 tonne 7 seater can power its way through these ditches then these modes are for real and not gimmicks as many would have believed till now.

damodar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 17:04   #221
BHPian

This is the first Tata Safari brochure without a mention of ground clearance. We are not even talking about approach departure angles. Shouldn't an SUV with a Land rover pedigree carry unladen ground clearance figures ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Why are there no floorboards for the new Safari?

Is it because you can step into one easily without them?

Cheers, Doc
Seems to be the case. I guess you could slide into the seat.

Reaffirms your narrative further eh? I feel you brother, but let it go, doc.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 17:54   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This should help people who were wondering why should one buy the Safari instead of other 7 seaters in the expected price bracket. Quite surprised with what a front drive vehicle with proper traction control settings can achieve. If a 1.8 tonne 7 seater can power its way through these ditches then these modes are for real and not gimmicks as many would have believed till now.
This is mainly a wheel and axle articulation course. It can at best show that even with a torsion bar rear end, the Safari can manage to get enough articulation over obstacles. However, put in some rain and slush and a 4*2 front wheel drive vehicle will bog down.

Basic limitation aside, the high ground clearance should help cross country cruising with confidence.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 18:26   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many FWD SUVs today come with different modes (like mud, sand...) which is essentially mimicking the LSD using the electronics. All such SUVs (including the Harrier) should be able to tackle this kind of obstacle but in the hands of an EXPERT DRIVER.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 20:19   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
However, put in some rain and slush and a 4*2 front wheel drive vehicle will bog down.
Hi, will fitment of a MLD help a FWD vehicle navigate rain/slush conditions better, or is that applicable only for RWD vehicles?

http://www.eaton.in/EatonIN/Products..._329342#tabs-1

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...off-shelf.html (Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th January 2021 at 20:20.
Old 30th January 2021, 21:28   #225

Quote:
This should help people who were wondering why should one buy the Safari instead of other 7 seaters in the expected price bracket. Quite surprised with what a front drive vehicle with proper traction control settings can achieve. If a 1.8 tonne 7 seater can power its way through these ditches then these modes are for real and not gimmicks as many would have believed till now
When I made up my mind to go with the Harrier, I wanted to avoid the top end XZ trim just because of all these electronic gimmicks (which they are) owing to future reliability concerns. I finalized the XT+ as it offered the panoramic sunroof (which the family liked) for the same price as the XZ while omitting these ESP gimmicks.

But the TD vehicle which showed up was the top trim XZ manual. Being a busy evening, I asked the TD demo guy if we could head to the forest nearby (just 2 kms from my home) to avoid the traffic. Being dusk time already, he hesitated initially but tagged along nonetheless.

We drove along one way (7 km) & I was quite impressed with the ride & handling of the car while the TD guy was explaining various things about the car etc. On the return stretch however, it was already dark & we decided to make haste when he suddenly dials the Rough Road Mode on the ESP knob.

I don't know what wizardry goes on with these modes, but instantly the throttle response became dull & it felt like I lost half my tire pressure & the car behaved as if it was driving on Alladin's mat. It became even more planted & we were doing 80-90 kph on the narrow jungle dirt tracks! Scheduled another TD to verify & explain to the family that we are ditching the sunroof Finally, cancelled the XT+ & brought the XZ (MT) home.

I'm not fan of dunking my 2 million car in slush nor do I fancy grinding it on dirt roads so can't comment on offroading, but the impact of ESP modes on ride quality alone, sealed the deal for me given I plan on putting serious mileage on it & tattered roads being aplenty. Now occasionally driving my car through the forest in the 'Rough Road Mode' has become one of my quirks....eagerly waiting for the rains to try the Wet Mode too. Though a couple extra features in the Harrier wouldn't have hurt yet I'll take this electronic sorcery anyday over the sunroof let alone a tablet or an air purifier, nonetheless.

My philosophy (v 2.0) as of now, stands as under:
> Sedans can take you to 90% of the places

> High GC Hatches (Nexon etc) to additional 5℅ i.e. 95℅ locations

> True Softroaders (Harrier, Compass 4×2, Tucson 4×2 (?) etc) to 98℅ places

> For the remaining 2℅ ......YouTube!

The Safari though heavier, can do similar things as in the video, in skilled hands.

Mods: OT but as Safari hasn't launched yet & the ESP systems are identical in the Harrier & the Safari hence decided to post. Nevertheless a dedicated thread examining the pros & cons of these ESP systems proliferating today vis-a-vis hardware based systems (AWD) will be interesting & help prospective in making their decisions.
Predator_ONE is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed