Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 12:09   #31
BHPian

fantastic it would be, but as far as roll ons are concerned 320d is still the faster one...
and drifter where did you get a 325i to drive? what is the car owners name?
Old 7th March 2008, 23:37   #32
BHPian

Great Review GTO! Now that the new C220 cdi is here how well does it stand when compared to 320d? Have any of you driven both?

I was just looking at the figures on the indian websites, and looks like the C220 has a much better engine with more torque and is definately quicker 0-100kmph.

MB:
Mercedes-Benz India - Mercedes-Benz India - C-Class Saloon - Diesel models

BMW:
International BMW website

How are they priced? What features does the 320d have that the C220 doesn't, vice versa?
Old 7th March 2008, 23:49   #33
BHPian

I am just stunned at how pricey these cars are in India. A 328i with the 230hp 3.0L engine, nicely equipped with sport package, leather, etc can be had for approx the equivalent of Rs 15 Lac. Double that for a 320d just boggles my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the impact of import duties, excise tax, etc.

But even so the value for money proposition for Indian buyers is quite poor. Rs 29Lac is nearly the starting price of a 745i here! Even the new M3 is only about Rs 23lacs here. my loaded 330i with navigation, sport package, parking sensors, etc, cost $42,000, or about Rs 17lacs.

I just can't fathom 29lacs for a 320d. I say this based on the relative pricing of cars. For example the Honda Civic. in markets where both the civic and the 320d are available, the 320D costs about 70% more than a mid level 1.8L Civic. In India it seems to be 300% more!! WOW!

No wonder these premium companies sell such tiny quantities of cars in India. Not only do most Indians not have the money, the value for money for those who do is quite poor. So the only people buying these cars are those who have enough money to not care about value for money or are just so desirous of drive quality or the prestige that they will pay the cost to get it.

Last edited by Harbir : 8th March 2008 at 00:03.
Old 8th March 2008, 00:39   #34
Team-BHP Support

drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The car exhibited the same wafting at interstate speeds. Maybe the tyres need balancing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Overall, there was a "wallowy" feeling.
The drifty / wafty /wallowy feeling is due to the lighter-front end of the 3-series - not the tyres. I've experienced it at higher speeds on the freeway too.

The feeling is slightly pronounced in standard sprung cars, than in cars with the sport-suspension - probably due to a lower stance in the latter category.

Wonder whether an aerodynamic kit would take care of this issue. Also, I haven't taken an AWD 3-series on the freeway but I'm assuming that due to the additional weight, the drift wouldn't be noticeable.
Old 8th March 2008, 02:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer80 View Post

How are they priced? What features does the 320d have that the C220 doesn't, vice versa?
They are both priced pretty much around the same price if i am not mistaken.

320d wins on features- Xenons, iDrive(on highline version with TV/DVD), run flat tyres (debatable if its an advantage, nontheless it's an expensive option), fully electric seats with memory.
The C has one feature that stands out over the 3 series - bluetooth.
Old 8th March 2008, 02:55   #36
BHPian

Thanks Sahil! Thats a lot of more expensive features offered in the 3 for it to be priced close.

Hoping to see a driving comparison between the two machines. The C220 cdi engine seems tempting compared to the 320d

Last edited by lancer80 : 8th March 2008 at 02:57.
Old 8th March 2008, 05:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Warrior

Quote:

If I were looking for a 30 lac sedan, I would wait for the new C. If initial reports are anything to go by, it’s going to be a stonker.
For those of you who could not understand GTO's strong Australian accent......

stonk·er @#2# /ˈstɒŋkər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[stong-ker] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –verb (used with object) Australian Informal. 1.to hit hard; knock unconscious. 2.to defeat decisively. 3.to baffle; confuse.
Old 8th March 2008, 13:16   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Great Review GTO! Now that the new C220 cdi is here how well does it stand when compared to 320d? Have any of you driven both?
After a spin in the new C220, that would be my pick of the two any which day. I only cant digest the looks of either; the Benz looks weird from the back while the BMW....well, blame it on Bangle. Why can't cars have understated proportionate styling anymore?

Mercedes will be sorting out glitches for the first two years, thus BMW will have the edge in reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I am just stunned at how pricey these cars are in India.
Tell us about it, Harbir. It is a fact that the premium car makers inflate their pricetags for reasons more than just import duties. Consider this....an E Class would cost 22 lakhs in 1997. Ten years down the line, the E price tag is almost 50 lakhs! In 2003, a C180 cost 22 lakhs. In 2005, the C200K was in the whereabouts of 28 lakhs, while the C220 was over 30 lakhs.

Are Mercedes and BMW overpriced in India? Ghastly so. They are taking all of us for one royal ride!
Old 8th March 2008, 17:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are Mercedes and BMW overpriced in India? Ghastly so. They are taking all of us for one royal ride!
Especially BMW and Audi, who must be laughing all the way to the bank. Whereas in the rest of the world, they are positioned a notch below Mercs, in India they are priced at the same level. Merc must be fuming.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:21   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Especially BMW and Audi, who must be laughing all the way to the bank. Whereas in the rest of the world, they are positioned a notch below Mercs, in India they are priced at the same level. Merc must be fuming.
BMW positioned below Merc? Definatly not IMO.
Audi might be a notch lower.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:42   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
i dont think so considering the quality of audi interiors are better than the bmws and mercs (havent seen the new c class but theyre better than the old c).
Old 10th March 2008, 16:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:

I was just looking at the figures on the indian websites, and looks like the C220 has a much better engine with more torque and is definately quicker 0-100kmph.

MB:
Mercedes-Benz India - Mercedes-Benz India - C-Class Saloon - Diesel models

BMW:
International BMW website

Actually,the power figures of the 320i and the 320d are up from 136 hp and 156 hp to 156 hp and 170 hp respectively.
Old 19th March 2008, 14:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
A car and bike show on NDTV last weekend had compared new C class and BMW 3 series and no matter how well they stand against each other and hold their grounds, in the end( verdict) - it was said that in India, Merc has a better snob(image) value compared to BMW who are improving ( being new in this market).

I havent driven either but if given a choice- I ll certainly pick a BMW over a Merc- since, I dont think I ll ever get a driver for either of these cars. If I need to keep a driver- I would rather buy an Indigo LWB version
Old 21st March 2008, 17:04   #44
BHPian

1. the new '08 320d is 150kgs lighter as compared to new C class, while produsing the same BHP.
2. the 320d's Gear box is a 6 speed automatic, while the C has the same old 5 speed.

Hence the 320d is faster and a better car overall anyday
Old 22nd March 2008, 00:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
1. the new '08 320d is 150kgs lighter as compared to new C class, while produsing the same BHP.
2. the 320d's Gear box is a 6 speed automatic, while the C has the same old 5 speed.

Hence the 320d is faster and a better car overall anyday
Well yes and no. The BMW is lighter and 6speed tranny - the C class has a more powerful and torquey engine. According to Autocar, they have the same 0-100 times, I suspect in-gear acceleration, the C wins marginally (higher torque).
320d - 156bhp/33.65kgm
C220 CDI - 170bhp/41.8kgm

BTW, the new C is bigger and roomier than the 3series.

Most Viewed