Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2021, 18:17   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My 2020 Mahindra Thar Review (Mystic Copper)!

Excellent well detailed review. I am a proud owner of ecosport diesel manual too but the Thar is going to being the next vehicle in my stable soon. Did test driven the MT HT Diesel version two weeks ago. Loved the nimbleness and quick linear power delivery. Driving my ecosport after driving the Thar was feeling a lot laggy. It conspicuously felt that steering wheel of ecosport is more accurate but in all other departments Thar is way better in performance than ecosport even the turing radius I felt is better in Thar. So, I have no more second thought about the Thar now except obviously the boot space department.
topse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 22:33   #32
BHPian

I planned to replace my Ecosport AT with a Thar Diesel AT. But I have never owned a Diesel car before or even a Turbo Petrol.
I am not worried about low fuel efficiency of a Petrol AT car but more worried about its tank range and resale value cause even before Ford exit announcement, I hardly had any takers for my Ecosport AT.
As per as Diesel cars go, I am worried about DPF issues.

Now, I am having second thoughts on my booking of Thar Diesel AT. Should I change it to a Petrol AT or drop my plans of getting a Thar altogether and settle for some other Compact SUV?
Heart says Thar, Brain says Creta, Seltos, S-cross etc.

I also have a Celerio in my Garage for daily commute, so can the Thar AT be the other car cause it is 4 star GNCAP rated, Thar being a 4x4 and abuse friendly whereas similarly priced Creta or Seltos are not 4x4 and safety rating is poor, but yes, they do offer a lot more features.

How is your Thar doing so far?

Please share your thoughts

Last edited by dr_TJ : 15th September 2021 at 22:39.
Old 13th October 2021, 07:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post

How is your Thar doing so far?

Please share your thoughts
I would whole heartedly recommend the Thar Disel AT.

The Thar is an incredibly high value package for a city dweller who wants to do some occasional off-roading, is single/has only two members in the family and/or has another mainstream vehicle for occasions requiring the passage of more people or luggage. I did a trip on my Thar to have breakfast with a friend the other day and had a 12 km city drive in the middle of thick traffic on the way back. I felt more relaxed today in my diesel AT Thar than I have done in any other vehicle for such trips. The commanding view means you can see traffic far ahead, the auto makes it effortless to drive in traffic and the Diesel engine after having broken in nicely at 7000 KM on the Odo, is returning 12+ kph in such conditions, on relaxed drives with a gentle foot on the pedal. The AC is strong and the apple car play works flawlessly. Yet when it comes to park on busy streets, there is nothing as easy as this baby. At just 4 m long, you can manoeuvre this puppy into even the tiniest of slots and can even rest one set of wheels on the footpath and the other on the road, in a pinch (though I would never advise that keeping in mind comfort of pedestrians). On my highway trip last week, the same vehicle was doing 115 kph in cruise control calmly, taking the curves on the NH with Elan and yet returning 13+ kpl.

7000 km up and not a defect so far. A few small niggles in the initial days all fixed now. Driven my share of rough roads and there is not a single rattle in the car (except the right central AC vent only during hard acceleration, which has been the case from day 1 - it disappears of you press it in while accelerating and reappears after a few minutes- will get this fixed in my 10K service)

As far as highway cruising range is concerned, I get almost as much range as the Ecosport Diesel MT. The Ecosport used to return 14.5 kpl and has a 52 litre fuel tank. The Thar is returning 12.5 to 13 kpl at similar speeds (generally around 115 kph cruising speed) bit has a 57 litre fuel tank. So the full tank range of the Ecosport is 754 km and the Thar is 712 km - hardly about 40 km which does not make a major difference.Wotj the petrol Thar it would be a different story, you will probably get about 9.5 kpl at such speeds and the range would drop to 540 km.

Now if one gets bored after a year or two, the Thar's Diesel engine, which is at the lowest of the three possible tunes (130 HP/300NM) can be dialed up a notch to 155 HP/360 NM as on the XUV700 MX and if that is not fun enough, a step further to 185 HP/450NM as on the XUV700 AX Auto. The fact that the XUV700 AX lets you change the tune on the fly between 155 HP and 185 HP mode means this can probably be done with a switchable mode to dynamically alter engine characteristics, I hope AZAD or PRAD come up with such a bolt-on.

The second generation car is truly engineered to compete with rivals from the other, more general segments. It is one of the best city cars, given its short length, high seating position, ease of driving with the automatic transmission, and more than decent fuel efficiency in the diesel avatar. It’s a very good mile muncher on the highways, as I have found out from the 10 trips I have taken, each of over 500 km each time. Contrary to some of the early reviews of the car, it is not at all unstable at higher speeds and feels solid and plated on curved roads due to its immense width and wide track, compared to the length. I have found it to be quite composed safe even at 115 km/h and have adopted that as my standard Thar cruising speed on the brilliant TN highways after a few initial months of staying at 100-105 kph. Yes there is wind noise, but if you have an upgraded audio system and a hard top you can get over this. For being a breadbox shape, still efficiency is not bad and has improved after 8000 km of running - it is possible to consistently get 13 km per litre even with 110 km/h cruising speed on the diesel AT.

So I would recommend don't even look anywhere else, as you have a second car for daily commute etc. And go ahead and get the Thar. You will enjoy it immensely

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th October 2021 at 07:24.
84.monsoon is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Contrary to some of the early reviews of the car, it is not at all unstable at higher speeds and feels solid and plated on curved roads due to its immense width and wide track, compared to the length. I have found it to be quite composed safe even at 115 km/h and have adopted that as my standard Thar cruising speed on the brilliant TN highways after a few initial months of staying at 100-105 kph.
Surprising isn't it? I have heard people say such things - on the internet!

In reality once you are used to the rhythm of vehicles like this, you can drive the hell out of them through farm lands / Jeep trails and then blitz through the highways and get back home. The pick up, road grip , visibility and most Importantly road presence is incredible.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Contrary to some of the early reviews of the car, it is not at all unstable at higher speeds and feels solid and plated on curved roads due to its immense width and wide track, compared to the length. I have found it to be quite composed safe even at 115 km/h and have adopted that as my standard Thar cruising speed on the brilliant TN highways after a few initial months of staying at 100-105 kph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Surprising isn't it? I have heard people say such things - on the internet!

In reality once you are used to the rhythm of vehicles like this, you can drive the hell out of them through farm lands / Jeep trails and then blitz through the highways and get back home. The pick up, road grip , visibility and most Importantly road presence is incredible.
I totally agree! After a cautious 5000 KM, I'm driving it in highways like any other car.

The one thing that everyone new to the Thar (and any other RWD with a MLD, at that) is to know how it'll behave when driven over, say, rumbler strips - those 4 to 8 in a row - especially when at speeds. MLD could engage in such undulations if driven over them at 30+ KMPH, and the jeep will pull towards the left. Could be unnerving the first time that happens, but with practice, you'll know when it's going to happen by seeing the road ahead.

I'm at 16,000 KM now, and this MLD-induced-left-pull happened once - and this is when I was trying to see if the v2 also has the same behaviour like all earlier MLD equipped M&Ms

This is the one thing I'll recommended those who're moving to the 2020 Thar, and have not experienced the previous gen Thar or the Classic, MM, CJ to keep in mind. At high speeds, this can cause a complete loss of control.

But driving the Thar around town is relaxing for all the reasons listed in the quoted. And one more - most of the jumpers don't jump when they see you. Be it pedestrians, cyclists or 2 wheelers, autos, or other cars. Almost everyone will wait for a second instead of cutting across your path, darting in your line to cross the road or take that U turn even you're in their line. And if they didn't see you a twitch of a honk will do! This, and the go-anywhere peace of mind is a blessing on our roads. I'll share some stories sometime later, maybe when I update my ownership...
ph03n!x is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
MLD could engage in such undulations if driven over them at 30+ KMPH, and the jeep will pull towards the left. Could be unnerving the first time that happens, but with practice, you'll know when it's going to happen by seeing the road ahead.
I think it has to do with the banking \ slope of the road. If you try going over on the wrong side of the road at speeds, the rear end would move to the right side. Similarly if you hit mid corner bumps or potholes at high speeds, there is going to be some movement either at the front end or rear end, and as long as you maintain the steering grip at ease and steady accelerator, it would track where you want it to go. It can certainly scare someone who experiences it for the first time, no doubt.

One way to deal with the smaller speed bumps found together is to slow down ahead of them and then accelerate over them at 4th gear (straight roads only).
Old 20th October 2021, 17:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it has to do with the banking \ slope of the road. If you try going over on the wrong side of the road at speeds, the rear end would move to the right side. Similarly if you hit mid corner bumps or potholes at high speeds, there is going to be some movement either at the front end or rear end, and as long as you maintain the steering grip at ease and steady accelerator, it would track where you want it to go. It can certainly scare someone who experiences it for the first time, no doubt.

One way to deal with the smaller speed bumps found together is to slow down ahead of them and then accelerate over them at 4th gear (straight roads only).
No, this is different - and an inherent behavior of the previous gen Thar, and the earlier M&M jeeps that came with MLD.

On a flat road, if there are continuous undulations - like the 6 or 8 rumbler strips. If you go over them at speeds enough to lock the MLD (usually 30/ 40 KMPH+), the MLD will lock and will lead to the front turning left coz the rear steps out of line.

If this happens at speeds, it can be disastrous.

Anyone experienced with the jeeps will know when this will happen - and those who are new and the 2020 Thar is their first MLD equipped vehicle, you should experience this in a controlled environment and get used to this.

For Hyderabad BHPians, the new Durgam Cheruvu cable bridge has a set of small speed breakers at the first turn when coming from Inorbit side - previous gen Thar over this at 30 KMPH will make your heart come out of the mouth - the new Thar handles it a little better, but will still lose line.

For Bangalorians, if you have done the Bangalore - Hyderabad highway, you would have encountered the set of small 6 to 8 speed breakers before break in the median (junction, for instance), starting after Lepakshi. Taking that over 40KMPH will make you Thar dance - more so coz some of them are unmarked
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taking that over 40KMPH will make you Thar dance - more so coz some of them are unmarked
Too slow! Come down to 4th gear from 5th or 6th and Step on the A pedal at 80+ till you reach the other side. You can do this for rough stretches of roads as well, it sort of floats over things and continue at the same speed . #neverlift

Last edited by Kosfactor : 20th October 2021 at 17:11.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too slow! Come down to 4th gear from 5th or 6th and Step on the A pedal at 80+ till you reach the other side. You can do this for rough stretches of roads as well, it sort of floats over things and continue at the same speed.
I am not sure we are talking the same things - what am describing will show up at speeds - if the two rear wheels are spinning at a difference at more than 100 rpm, the MLD will lock - and this is not about bad roads/ no roads at all. I repeat, the easiest way to experience this is going over the 6 or 8 rumblers kept in rows at speeds over 40 KMPH.

Higher speeds will make it worse when the MLD kicks in on tarmac.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 01:13   #40

I own same variant (same color too). The experience for 5000KM so far has been absolutely flawless. Driven on highways at 120KMPH, lot of city drive as well. It's fun and easy on any kind of road and traffic! Driven 3 to 4 hours is single tretch without getting tired.
Girish40 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 11:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The Thar has been an absolutely fabulous beast to own till now. During the lock downs, I sometimes do not have an occasion to even start the car for many days, even up to a week and this is absolutely no problem, even with steady rains going on in Chennai. Car always starts at first crank.

Got my second service (10,000 km) down last week. I had completed about around 8500 km. The service experience has been quite good, Although I had asked for all updates to be performed including any recall or service notifications, the Service Center confirmed that there was nothing applicable to my VK at, other than an update of the ICE Software and maps. The front windscreen replacement (with thicker glass) notification has apparently has not reached them or M&M is only doing it for some batches.

With a lot of very short city runs, the car is returning 8.5 km per litre, which is a bit disappointing for a Dieeel. I cannot wait to take it on a long-distance drive once the Covid situation improves.

Got floor mats installed. The brand is GP, and grease are custom made for the new Thar. I somehow hate the multi-textured and multiple-colour 7D and 5D designs that stick out like a sore thumb. These ones look very close to the OEM mats but have raised edges that can hold the dirt and debris in. They can be ordered on line and make for a good fit, thankfully blending in with the original look and feel of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2020 Mahindra Thar Review (Mystic Copper)!-891ccc5d285740469754c9a1acaa7550.jpeg  

My 2020 Mahindra Thar Review (Mystic Copper)!-e183ef6f440944f3a62fa728364253ed.jpeg  

My 2020 Mahindra Thar Review (Mystic Copper)!-a8c2dc4262f34e648563e066ebd877bc.jpeg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 25th January 2022 at 11:08.
84.monsoon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Thar has been an absolutely fabulous beast to own till now.
The front windscreen replacement (with thicker glass) notification has apparently has not reached them or M&M is only doing it for some batches.

With a lot of very short city runs, the car is returning 8.5 km per litre, which is a bit disappointing for a Dieeel. I cannot wait to take it on a long-distance drive once the Covid situation improves.

Got floor mats installed. The brand is GP, and grease are custom made for the new Thar. I somehow hate the multi-textured and multiple-colour 7D and 5D designs that stick out like a sore thumb.
Good to know you're enjoying the beast! Where do you go in for service?

On the mileage, I've been able to get 10.xx in city (Hyderabad/ Bangalore/ Madras/ Coimbatore) by striving to drive at the lowest RPM possible in 3rd and 4th - accelerate to 45 and ease the throttle, the auto shifts to 4th and I try to maintain 41 to 45 with realtime mileage hovering at the 15 KMPL mark. Took some time and patience

Can you link to the windscreen replacement please? Would like to know more about this.

Also, a link to the mats that you've gotten!

Quote:
Too slow! Come down to 4th gear from 5th or 6th and Step on the A pedal at 80+ till you reach the other side. You can do this for rough stretches of roads as well, it sort of floats over things and continue at the same speed . #neverlift
Quote:
I am not sure we are talking the same things - what am describing will show up at speeds - if the two rear wheels are spinning at a difference at more than 100 rpm, the MLD will lock - and this is not about bad roads/ no roads at all. I repeat, the easiest way to experience this is going over the 6 or 8 rumblers kept in rows at speeds over 40 KMPH. Higher speeds will make it worse when the MLD kicks in on tarmac.
I actually tried this in the Lepakshi - Anantapur stretch with stock suspension at about 70 KMPH after ensuring there is no traffic. The rear did float out of line, but little less dramatic.

I switched to AVO/ Arka setup a month ago, and tried it with that too in the same stretch - and hey, it almost floated through! Definitely a lot less dramatic than the stock setup - am guessing the springs plus stiffer dampers at the back are making the difference
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I switched to AVO/ Arka setup a month ago, and tried it with that too in the same stretch - and hey, it almost floated through! Definitely a lot less dramatic than the stock setup - am guessing the springs plus stiffer dampers at the back are making the difference
Getting the suspension & tyres to work together is difficult but once its done right as you have experienced, this vehicle will get to places faster than just about anything else on the road.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got floor mats installed. The brand is GP, and grease are custom made for the new Thar. ......... They can be ordered on line and make for a good fit, thankfully blending in with the original look and feel of the car......
The brand is GFX I think. Because only GFX mats are showing similar image searches.

Please share where you bought them from. Unable to find a link.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 02:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, a link to the mats that you've gotten!
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The brand is GFX I think. Because only GFX mats are showing similar image searches.

Please share where you bought them from. Unable to find a link.
It seems to be GFX Life-Long Mats indeed. See this video from the 23 min mark.

Last edited by Jaguar : 27th January 2022 at 02:05.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed