Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 12:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Mid Life Upgrades

Cons :
1. Some buttons don’t work, like cruise control from steering, heated wheel button, etc
2. Paddle shifters are not illuminated
That's a neat mod there! Kudos to you and fludicjoy for this work. He takes the mods to another level though.

Regarding the cons, did you use VCDS to configure the new steering wheel buttons. I assume that you have not used VCDS and that's why the mentioned buttons aren't working.

Enable Cruise control in BCM and ECU and then in the Instrument cluster too. All functions will be mentioned in VCDS and you can enable/disable the e feature you want provided you have the required hardware.
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Regarding the cons, did you use VCDS to configure the new steering wheel buttons. I assume that you have not used VCDS and that's why the mentioned buttons aren't working.

Enable Cruise control in BCM and ECU and then in the Instrument cluster too. All functions will be mentioned in VCDS and you can enable/disable the e feature you want provided you have the required hardware.

I wish life was so simple but it does not work like that. These buttons are not programmable that way. Indian Polo 6R’s never got cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. So the wiring itself is not present plus there are a few other things to take care of to get the cruise buttons to work.

My car came with cruise control from factory. It has cruise, but controlled from the RHS stalk.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I wish life was so simple but it does not work like that. These buttons are not programmable that way. Indian Polo 6R’s never got cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. So the wiring itself is not present plus there are a few other things to take care of to get the cruise buttons to work.

My car came with cruise control from factory. It has cruise, but controlled from the RHS stalk.
Looks like a few wires need to be connected to the right slot in the clock spring connector. If you have the polo 6R of India and international version, you can compare those and then add the wire to the desired pin out. I'm sure it'll work. Take fluidicjoy's help and there's another guy who does VW mods in Pune
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:09   #34

Quote:
Having owned a 2011 Jetta, I’ve always felt the stock wheel on Vento isn’t thick enough. Thicker and meatier wheels feel very good and filling to hold, specially for people with big hands. I had the paddle shifter wheel but I wasn’t completely satisfied with how the wheel felt to hold.
Hey, the MK8 GTI wheel looks sick. Where did you get it from and how much did it cost?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2021 at 05:10.
Frostbite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Looks like a few wires need to be connected to the right slot in the clock spring connector. If you have the polo 6R of India and international version, you can compare those and then add the wire to the desired pin out. I'm sure it'll work. Take fluidicjoy's help and there's another guy who does VW mods in Pune
Yes, it is not impossible. It is doable but I didn’t want to do it because there are a lot of other variables involved. For now, the buttons illuminate, the set button works as mute, they all give haptic feedback, so I’m okay with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Hey, the MK8 GTI wheel looks sick. Where did you get it from and how much did it cost?
Thanks. There are many people selling these wheels in India now. Almost everyone into retrofits business should be able to source these wheels. Depending on where you are, and which car you have, the pricing changes as the effort needed changes. Please DM for more details.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:22   #36
BHPian

Nice mod. That wheel looks gorgeous!

You, fluidicjoy and jithin23 are DIY inspirations. Can't wait till the day my car is out of warranty!
batladanny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:56   #37

That MK8 wheel looks gorgeous.

I have the mk7 gti wheel, which looks dated now after seeing yours.

Anyhow I'm was planning to do the Passat domelight mod too, would be interested to know how you made the plug and play harness.

I been planning to change the gear knob to the new led backlight one, I think it will look even better in your vento with the MK8 steering wheel and Passat dome light.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-screenshot_20210719174806__01.jpg  

Gosha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 18:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
Nice mod. That wheel looks gorgeous!

You, fluidicjoy and jithin23 are DIY inspirations. Can't wait till the day my car is out of warranty!
Like many others have said on this forum before, life is too short to worry about warranties :P

As long as you’re not tapping or splicing wires and there are no errors on the diagnostic system, warranty shouldn’t be an issue in most cases. However, yes there are some which outright void warranty.
Old 19th July 2021, 20:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosha View Post
That MK8 wheel looks gorgeous.

I have the mk7 gti wheel, which looks dated now after seeing yours.

Anyhow I'm was planning to do the Passat domelight mod too, would be interested to know how you made the plug and play harness.

I been planning to change the gear knob to the new led backlight one, I think it will look even better in your vento with the MK8 steering wheel and Passat dome light.

Haha. I’ve always wanted the mk7 style wheel. But their prices just kept going up and up. So I thought why not go ahead with this.

I bought the connectors and made my own harness, part numbers are listed on a few threads on this forum.

I don’t want to discourage you, but the gear knob would be white backlit, plus you will either have to lose the backlighting on the stock housing, or have it in both the knob and the housing base. It would look odd without the base lighting up, and would look redundant if both light up. Plus the gloss black knob will sure attract a lot of scratches since we never bother about how we hold it and carelessly operate. On MQB cars, it might look good..
Old 19th July 2021, 23:12   #40
BHPian

Can you share more details about MIB2 composition media upgrade from procurement to installation?
Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 23:20   #41

Quote:

I don’t want to discourage you, but the gear knob would be white backlit, plus you will either have to lose the backlighting on the stock housing, or have it in both the knob and the housing base. It would look odd without the base lighting up, and would look redundant if both light up. Plus the gloss black knob will sure attract a lot of scratches since we never bother about how we hold it and carelessly operate. On MQB cars, it might look good..
It does come in red as well, but you are right both the base and the knob will be lit up.
Could you please provide some info about the harness for the dome light.

Thank you.
Old 20th July 2021, 00:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayurS View Post
Can you share more details about MIB2 composition media upgrade from procurement to installation?
Thanks
I will make a post on this thread about the HU maybe next weekend, since there are a lot of things I want to be able to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosha View Post
It does come in red as well, but you are right both the base and the knob will be lit up.
Could you please provide some info about the harness for the dome light.

Thank you.
I heard that the red units are actually retrofitted with red backlights. It’s a tiny item, I wouldn’t suggest installing something like that. Get the white backlit version itself if you’re doing this. I’m not sure about the genuineness of this though.

Bhpian TheLizardKing has made a very detailed thread about the cabin light upgrade including part numbers and how to wire. I’m sure you would find all the details you are looking for on his thread. Please go through that thread and let me know if you’re looking for any other information about it.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 01:38   #43
BHPian

How does this affect Airbags? I have a polo for which I want to get a few things done including replacing the horn cap with or without airbags. If you know of anyone who can do a good job in Bangalore, do share details.
Old 20th July 2021, 09:07   #44
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

This quite the effort and in the right direction!

Now, if you don't mind me asking? How much did you have to cough up for the Mk8 Wheel and from where did you source it?

Also, about the paddle shifters, did you have to go through coding and wiring modifications in order to get them working? I have a 2018 1.5L DSG and so wanted to have paddle shifters.

Are there any other options for paddles beside getting a new wheel (rather, more economical options than swapping out the entire wheel)?
Old 20th July 2021, 09:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
How does this affect Airbags? I have a polo for which I want to get a few things done including replacing the horn cap with or without airbags. If you know of anyone who can do a good job in Bangalore, do share details.

Airbags functionality is retained. I’m not sure who might be able to do it in Bangalore, maybe try asking in your local circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
This quite the effort and in the right direction!

Now, if you don't mind me asking? How much did you have to cough up for the Mk8 Wheel and from where did you source it?

Also, about the paddle shifters, did you have to go through coding and wiring modifications in order to get them working? I have a 2018 1.5L DSG and so wanted to have paddle shifters.

Are there any other options for paddles beside getting a new wheel (rather, more economical options than swapping out the entire wheel)?
Thanks, if the wheel is to be used on a PQ platform car, the costs go up by around 11-12k as a emulator needs to be used and some wiring needs to be done in the wheel. I sent the wheel to Pune to get the wiring done. So including the transport costs to Pune, Costs for the wiring work, Customs duty on the import and shipping by a premium option to India landed about 75k. DM me if you want to know more about this.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks