Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 01:06   #76
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline

Remap:
So after having given it a lot of thought on whether or not I should get it done, I finally decided to bite the bullet since our Vento would be very less used going forward. I’ve got a Stage 1 ECU + TCU tune from the Etuners.

I’ve been in Pune for a week for getting a few things done on the Octavia, so has been Sreeram from etuners for his AWD VRS230 conversion. While we were at it, I thought I might as well give remap a try as I can always go back to stock if I don’t like it.

We first flashed the ECU map via the obd port, it barely took a few minutes, and we went on a spin to check how it is. The benefits are the usual, linear power delivery, much improved topend, and improved FE. The gear shifts were smooth even without the TCU tune. We then flashed the TCU tune, and went for a spin after performing the basic settings of the gearbox via VCDS. The car now wants to be in D2 a lot more than before. It appears to be more free revving than before. The FE has increased by 20-25% on average going by the MFD figures. The car, when driven sedately behaves very much like stock, it is only when you floor the pedal that the car starts putting all available horses at its disposal. For people who are struggling with FE, I’d strongly recommend a stage 1 remap purely for this.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-159624c0ff874bb48a068c174f0dfa8d.jpeg

The remap was done at The Mechanix Automotive. Having been to quite a few FNG’s in Hyderabad and other places, it would be safe for me to say that the chaps at the Mechanix Automotive are an experienced bunch. I’ve found that in many FNG’s, the leadership is merely an investor in the garage, or a self-proclaimed “enthusiast”. However, here at the Mechanix, the leadership is very experienced and involved in how they diagnose the issue. I’ve seen them take TD’s of the car for diagnosis, and after repair work has been carried out. I’ve also seen them regularly on the work floor directing their workforce on how and what needs to be done. You know the results ought to be good when the dedication is seen right from the top level to the bottom. Folks in Pune must definitely give them a try.

Having installed the big brake kit last year, I find how much effective and needed it is now after the remap, probably because of the added torque, the stronger bite of the brakes is more felt. Sreeram told me that the figures should be around 137bhp at crank and 241nm as dynoed in Coimbatore. The buzz lately has been to get car dynoed before and after the tune, but I neither have the time, nor the need since I’ve merely done it just for the sake of trying remaps aspect of cars. My vento has been a good project car for us, I think I’ve done about almost every “type” of upgrade possible, features, performance, aesthetics. I’m glad to have tried them all, and I’m glad of how the car has become over these last two years with all the upgrades. I would not want it any other way.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-6c4305bce82c4c2b9b75e0431206b92a.jpeg

This cabin holds a very dear place in my heart.

Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline-0a0058c249884b7daac44c838c62ec01.jpeg

P.S. I still have about 6 months of extended warranty period left, which went out the window the moment I decided to remap I guess, but touchwood I’ve had zero issues and niggles from the car except for the abysmal stock brakes and the flimsy aircon vents, both of which will not be covered by warranty anyway.

Last edited by sarfraz1997 : 13th June 2022 at 01:09.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 05:12   #77
BHPian

Good to hear about your experience with a remap. I think more than the additional horses, the additional torque is good for this car.. the gearbox works it's magic for normal spirited driving, but if you floor it in 5th gear or above in manual mode, it doesn't have the "push back in the seats" feeling that turbo-diesels do.

240nm is a more respectable number, particularly if it's available throughout the rev range. About the improved top-end, I don't like revving my cars high, but the top-end of this car when stock is embarrassingly bad particularly considering how frequently the gearbox likes to go to kickdown mode, and it's good to see that that's improved too.

Do you know of any good garages that do remaps in Chennai?
Old 13th June 2022, 08:31   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
240nm is a more respectable number, particularly if it's available throughout the rev range. About the improved top-end, I don't like revving my cars high, but the top-end of this car when stock is embarrassingly bad particularly considering how frequently the gearbox likes to go to kickdown mode, and it's good to see that that's improved too.

Do you know of any good garages that do remaps in Chennai?
Couldn’t agree more about the top-end. Im usually a sedate driver too, I just like the power to be available on demand whenever I need it. Above 80-90, this car isn’t as exciting as it is until 80-90.

Etuners is available in Chennai too, with VAGMASTER. If you are looking for other companies, you might give ICDTUNING a try as well, they might have maps from more than one company.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 15:55   #79
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the remap experience. I am also planning stage 1 remap for my 1.2 TSI. Any recommendations on who to approach in Bangalore or Coimbatore. I have never done this before so any indication of approximate cost will also be of great help.
Old 23rd February 2023, 17:00   #80

Thanks for sharing the experience. Could you please share how the car's performance and has been since to he remap. Also, have you faced any major issues.
Old 12th January 2024, 09:22   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Thanks for sharing the remap experience. I am also planning stage 1 remap for my 1.2 TSI. Any recommendations on who to approach in Bangalore or Coimbatore. I have never done this before so any indication of approximate cost will also be of great help.
I cannot personally recommend anyone in Bangalore or Coimbatore as I don’t have any personal interactions with tuners based in either of the locations. The cost will depend on which tuner you go with. Can range between 15k-40k as well for each map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj b View Post
Thanks for sharing the experience. Could you please share how the car's performance and has been since to he remap. Also, have you faced any major issues.
The acceleration is now more linear, the mileage has improved. Touchwood, I have had zero issues post or pre remap. I’m not sure of what the odo reading is now.
Old 12th January 2024, 09:49   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
For getting a remap done in Bangalore, you can get more details in this thread -

Link (My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3)

Most Viewed