Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 17:03   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It's raining B58's on the forum.

It appears to me the biggest problem is when someone drives this car; they gotta get it. Be careful with test drives of this car, you might end up buying it!

Prakyath89 who lives in Michigan and whom I met during the Detroit Meet took the decision to sell his Dodge Charger Scatpack and get the X3M 40i

This is 3rd car in as many months in US on the forum, Looks like we are competing with Indian buyers. Like Nikhil, hopefully he will also pen down his ownership review soon
Hi Avi,
True, its raining B58's, and no points for guessing who the culprit is

I have to update my thread as well with some additional details. Too scared to try out the launch control as yet !

As for the Mileage, I have only had one tank full so far, premature to compute the numbers. Like I had mentioned in my thread, if mileage is your concern, then this is not the car. I just wish they had a bigger fuel tank though.

Did you get your Digital Key, and did you try it? Mine apparently only accepts a Guest profile when I use it. I cannot get it to accept my driver settings.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th April 2021 at 19:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:59   #47

re: 2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" flying low in Motor City!

Fantastic Review and a perfect upgrade from CX9 ! BTW did you trade your CX9 (sorry if I had missed that part).
If I did not have an occasional need for the 7 seats I might bite the bullet on this one .
KartikRajasekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 21:26   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Hi Avi,
True, its raining B58's, and no points for guessing who the culprit is
Haha! Well, I just asked them to check it out as an option. It's not my fault if they bite the bullet and get one

Quote:
Did you get your Digital Key, and did you try it? Mine apparently only accepts a Guest profile when I use it. I cannot get it to accept my driver settings.
Thanks for this heads up. I don't think I received this as part of my overall delivery package. Will check with dealership if I am entitled to a Digital Key? Is it only for a certain models or it's meant for all BMW's? Would you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikRajasekar View Post
Fantastic Review and a perfect upgrade from CX9 ! BTW did you trade your CX9 (sorry if I had missed that part).
If I did not have an occasional need for the 7 seats I might bite the bullet on this one .
Thanks for your wishes. We love cars that drive well while CX-9 was good in handling department, X3 M40i is in a totally different league altogether and I am now truly enjoying every mile that I crunch on it. All I can say is that eventually CX-9 will be truly missed as I had a great affinity with the Mazda brand and will continue to own them in future (if finances permit)

Continuing from my previous post, I got some bling for my Bimmer. Initially, I thought it might look cheap but, once installed it looks really cool and totally love looking at the steering each time I get behind the wheel

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_0553.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_0625.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_0622.jpg

A couple of weeks ago on a weekend, Me and a friend who lives in the same community, just a few houses away decided to meet for dinner and before we headed out for dinner decided to stop at a beautiful lake side that we frequent for a quick photo-shoot of our cars.

He drives a Jaguar XE 3.0 ( 340 Horsepower) and I suggested him to switch our cars until we reached the dinner location. So got an opportunity to experience the Jag for about 30-35 miles and below is a quick comparison of BMW X3 M40i and Jaguar XE 3.0 ( Well, not a straight forward comparison except the XE’s in name of both our cars )

BMW X3 M40i vs. Jaguar XE 3.0

--Straight-line acceleration is good
--Steering feel felt quite vague and nowhere near the amazing feel of BMW
--Despite being an SUV, handling of BMW is way better than the Jag (Even my f. friend mentioned the same and was quite surprised)

It was a fun meet and enjoyed clicking some pictures with fading sunlight as the backdrop

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1269.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1285.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1419.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-fullsizerender.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1254.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1262.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1264.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1292.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1309.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1415.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1416.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1418.jpg

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_1420.jpg

Finally, a video of X3 M40i in motion captured by wife while I was driving the Jag (Isn't it poetry on wheels? )

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th April 2021 at 21:29.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 22:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for this heads up. I don't think I received this as part of my overall delivery package. Will check with dealership if I am entitled to a Digital Key? Is it only for a certain models or it's meant for all BMW's? Would you know?
I'm pretty sure its available for all 2021 models with the iDrive7. If I got it for my M340i, you're definitely entitled for your X3 M40i. Both cars are practically the same other than the body style.

Check with your dealership. They might have missed it. They'll be able to order and ship it to you.
Old 6th April 2021, 19:06   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm pretty sure its available for all 2021 models with the iDrive7. If I got it for my M340i, you're definitely entitled for your X3 M40i. Both cars are practically the same other than the body style.

Check with your dealership. They might have missed it. They'll be able to order and ship it to you.
Thanks. I will check with my dealership. I did try calling them yesterday but, couldn't get hold of my guy as he got COVID

Well, I have been wanting to record some videos of exhaust for a real long time but, due to bad weather I just didn't feel like spending the time out recording this videos

Recorded this video a couple of weeks ago and after being driven for about 5 miles (When you crank up this engine in cold- it sounds much louder).

Also, the B58 Engine sounded way louder during the initial release models (lower HP model) and some people liked it, some didn't. I think BMW toned down the exhaust note quite a bit from 2020 models and I think these engines are known as B548 TU (Older models were just known as B58)

Anyways, you can check for yourself if this muted sound is "loud" enough? Personally, I think this is loud enough as I don't want to drive around creating too much of a racket and bringing everyone's (including cops) attention

We are lucky as the exhaust sound is still beautiful sounding while our comrades from Europe and Australia get them with PPF (Petrol Particulate Filter) exhaust systems which is supposedly much more muted

Note : It is advisable to use head-phones and crank up the volume to the maximum to enjoy this exhaust note

Sports Mode (not Plus- Forgot to get a video in Plus as it gets louder in +)

Comfort Mode

Eco-Pro Mode

Apart from its brutal power, this exhaust note keeps luring me to take it out for a drive !!

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th April 2021 at 19:13.
Old 6th April 2021, 19:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Is this the smart key with the tiny display on it? If so, it's available as an option for the M40i in the US. Cost was around $750 when I got my M40i. I think it's at $250 now. I think all the functions on the key are available in the BMW app.

You get two regular remote keys with the M logo on the side as standard.
sumobom4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 19:35   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
Is this the smart key with the tiny display on it? If so, it's available as an option for the M40i in the US. Cost was around $750 when I got my M40i. I think it's at $250 now. I think all the functions on the key are available in the BMW app.

You get two regular remote keys with the M logo on the side as standard.
Nope. Nikhil is referring to a "Digital Card" akin to a credit card and not the digital key with a digital display on the key fob that used to be a rage a few years ago

Agree on the BMW App, it is such an amazing thing to be able to do almost all functions remotely sitting in the comfort of the home.

I love the pre-ventilate feature a lot as it helps clearing out old air from inside the car especially when car is sitting on the lot for a few days. All of this done remotely, is super cool
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 20:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
Is this the smart key with the tiny display on it

?
Hi Sumobom4,

I was referring to the Credit Card type ( NFC based ) key. I presume the display key is only standard with the X7 and 7 series, but I'm not a 100% sure.

True, what comes standard is the 2 Sail shaped Fobs, with the M strips on the side, and this Digital (credit card look alike) key
Old 13th April 2021, 19:50   #54
BHPian

Hi Mobike008

Does your X3 have the laser lights package?

I have them in my 2020 X5 - not able to figure out whether it gets activated when operated in manual mode. The manual says that it is activated once speed crosses 60kph when headlights are in Auto mode.
Old 14th April 2021, 14:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I got some bling for my Bimmer. Initially, I thought it might look cheap but, once installed it looks really cool and totally love looking at the steering each time I get behind the wheel
Are you sure about the safety of installing such an ornament on top of the airbag? Ornament might embed itself in your face, if god forbid, the airbag goes off.
ChargedGarage is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:02   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedGarage View Post
Are you sure about the safety of installing such an ornament on top of the airbag? Ornament might embed itself in your face, if god forbid, the airbag goes off.
Are you sure that I didn't think of that before getting it?

Every time I step out of home, it's with a positive mind as nobody has a control over what can happen but, I truly appreciate your concern and thanks for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
Hi Mobike008

Does your X3 have the laser lights package?

I have them in my 2020 X5 - not able to figure out whether it gets activated when operated in manual mode. The manual says that it is activated once speed crosses 60kph when headlights are in Auto mode.
BMW X3 and BMW M40i in the US does not have Laser Lights. I have the fully loaded version including every option that can be added. However, Laser light is not even available in US as an option

We get the BMW Adaptive LED which is similar to Lasers in all aspects (except the range or throw which is higher in Laser)

Adaptive LED's move in advance when you move the steering wheel and it really works and is a great feature to have. It also has the auto dimming feature when the car detects oncoming traffic (I have it on the Mazda CX9 as well) and dips the headlight and comes back on to high beam when the car passes.

Please zoom to see the lettering on the light console

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-bmw-led.jpg

BMW calls it a "High Beam Assistant" which does that auto dimming trick

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-bmw-adaptive-led.jpg

As far as my understanding goes, Laser lights work at two different speeds (50mph and 60mph) when it gets activated. But, I'm not entirely sure about it

Please share a pic of your headlights look (Does it have a blue tinge running across the top portion of lights)

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th April 2021 at 19:46. Reason: Let us not get rude here, removing offending part as reported. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2021, 21:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Please share a pic of your headlights look (Does it have a blue tinge running across the top portion of lights)
My headlights have a blue segment running across the light and it is indeed the laser package, which has all the adaptive LED features (cornering, auto dim on approaching vehicle etc) plus the 600 m throw of laser.

Have seen the lasers in action and it is quite the night and days difference in illumination when compared to the lights on my E70 X5. In India, the auto dim feature is impractical at high speeds and i prefer to switch to manual mode. When in manual, am not able to figure out if the lasers are activated or not.--the local dealership is not very clear on this either.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-img_19531.png  

asterix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 21:41   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you sure that I didn't think of that before getting it?

Every time I step out of home, it's with a positive mind as nobody has a control over what can happen but, I truly appreciate your concern and thanks for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedGarage View Post
Just did some checks on BMW airbags and from the pics of this particular steering wheel, the ornament on steering wheel is sitting exactly on the airbag seam and is 100% a problem.

2021 BMW X3 M40i - My "Blau Rakete" completes 32,500 miles / 52,000 km in 3 Years of ownership-whatsapp-image-20210414-21.28.13.jpeg
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 21:59   #59
Team-BHP Support

Regarding the lasers, these were not allowed in US until recently. Newer models have started getting these now. However, I have not got a chance to see these in action despite having these on some of the cars I have owned.

A lot of conditions have to be met, speed has to be beyond 60 and no lights from incoming traffic or the rear tail lamp. I tried covering the camera ( inbuilt with rear view mirror) when I got my 730 in 2017 but it won’t work. Later models, I simply didn’t bother even if there are any changes. The light does get little brighter occasionally but not something that I will miss. Adaptive lamps help though.

That ornament, must be glued by a soft adhesive. When Airbags deploy a lot of pressure is generated so that glue should not be an issue but in a place like US when someone can sue you for sneezing, I won’t risk having that piece at such a place.

Best will be to take off, at least from social media

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th April 2021 at 22:06.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 22:29   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Continuing from my previous post, I got some bling for my Bimmer. Initially, I thought it might look cheap but, once installed it looks really cool and totally love looking at the steering each time I get behind the wheel
+100 to others who have pointed this out. Please remove this contraption. Yes. It looks very good. But totally not worth the risk!
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks