Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 14:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Our 3-pointed star | Mercedes Benz GLE 300d Review

What a stunner! The white colour just looks amazing on the new GLE.

Congratulations and wishing you many happy miles ahead!
AKSarkar1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 17:24   #17
BHPian

Congrats on the most lovely car in its segment IMO! Now that's a wonderful upgrade from a Jetta. Looks stunning in white shade. Mercedes should've provided 360 camera and burmester system as standard in such expensive car.
parekhakshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 18:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on purchasing a great car. Royale is the word that comes to my mind. The interiors are top notch as one would expect from Mercedes and I love that wood paneling look. All the best. as GTO stated get that extended warranty. Its a policy I always follow. Happy mile munching.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 20:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
Well, significant money and 2 weeks later, we have our new companion, Mercedes Benz GLE 300d Polar White!
Congratulations abhilashgp on the new addition to the family. The three pointed star looks classy and fun to drive.

Loved reading the review. Welcome to the 3Pointed Star club

I have a GLC300, and had evaluated the Lexus, Volvo, and X3 before making that purchase. I just love the plushness of the ride.

One thing caught my curiosity, doesn't your GLE have the under thigh extendable support. Also noticed, there were very basic controls for the seat movement. Is that not standard fitment, including heated seats.
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 21:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations and wish you many happy times and kms with the car.

Quote:
[*] For me, it got activated once when I was reversing (I wasn’t aware it works in reverse), need to clarify this with Mercedes Benz[/list]
It can happen out of two things, one is when you are reversing into cross traffic and there is a vehicle or a cyclist approaching, or it can be triggered by the reverse sensors in case there is an obstacle. If you got the collision warning beeps then its the former. Try this again if it happens with nothing around. If so then thats a problem.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 22:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parekhakshar View Post
Mercedes should've provided 360 camera and burmester system as standard in such expensive car.
Definitely agree on the music system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
... as GTO stated get that extended warranty.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
One thing caught my curiosity, doesn't your GLE have the under thigh extendable support. Also noticed, there were very basic controls for the seat movement. Is that not standard fitment, including heated seats.
You are right! GLE doesn’t have under thigh extendable support, while GLC does. My sense is, it has to do with the seat dimensions (I haven’t validated it through actual measurements), and possibly the overall seating position. I had to use thigh extension when I sat in GLC while in GLE, I’m ok without it. The seat and lumbar adjustments are there, but no heated seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
.... It can happen out of two things, one is when you are reversing into cross traffic and there is a vehicle or a cyclist approaching, or it can be triggered by the reverse sensors in case there is an obstacle. If you got the collision warning beeps then its the former. Try this again if it happens with nothing around. If so then thats a problem.
That makes sense. I heard the warning beep during that episode, hence assumed it had something to do with the active safety features. There was no obstacle but there were vehicle movements around as I was reversing on the roadside. Will keep observing.

Last edited by abhilashgp : 19th February 2021 at 22:40.
abhilashgp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 08:57   #22
BHPian

Congratulations Abhilash on buying a great car!!
Surprised to find that GLE doesn't have extended thigh support while GLC does but as you said if you are comfortable with the seat, GLE engineers would have designed taking into account the thigh support factor.
I can vouch for seat comfort in Mercedes as I completed a 16 hr journey in GLC and wasn't tired.
The plush ride and low NVH levels are really great in Mercedes and wish you many joyous long drives with your car.
4WheelPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 13:25   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on the new GLE. Looks awesome . Wish you and your family many years of safe and happy journeys in this gentle beast.

Quote:

This is a route that we have taken in the Jetta multiple times, but what stood out was not feeling tired in the GLE. I don’t know if its my excitement or the comfort in the car, I just didn’t feel tired. I went on to wash the car once we reached Trivandrum
It is true that you don't feel tired even after long journeys in these luxury cars esp if you are just cruising at safe speeds.
I also felt the same feeling - went straight to work after driving for 5.5 hrs from Bangalore to Belagavi in my X4 with no need of rest.
Even my parents were expressing the feeling of not feeling exhausted after another trip (Sandur to Badami and Back). I had heard them complain when travelling in Cruze.
kiran_aithal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 13:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Not only gle but they give features in lower models that are absent in higher models.

C class has electric headrest, steering adjust, and electric under thigh support which is absent in E class. Virtual cockpit in c class but not present in e class expression variant. GLC has massaging seats, mbux but it is absent in e class😅 that's crazy. Instead look at Skoda Superb, they have given ventilated seats, virtual cockpit, 360 degree camera,610w sound system, wireless charging, electrilc tailgate, adaptive headlights and what not
parekhakshar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Update

Extended Warranty
Default warranty is provided for unlimited mileage within 3 years from date of purchase. The price for extended warranty increases by ~38% if not bought within 3 months of purchase of the car.

Cost for extended warranty within 3 months of purchase
4th year - 1.73L
4th + 5th year - 3.4L
4th + 5th + 6th year - 5.2L

Considering this is a German, went ahead with maximum extension

Service Package
This was a tricky decision. I was planning to wait until later in the year to consider this, however since the dealer mentioned a chance of revision in prices, decided to take a call.

There are 2 packages, Compact Plus and Compact.

Compact [no mileage limit]
Inclusions: Replacement of Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter, Air Cleaner Element, AC Filter, Fuel Filter, Radiator Coolant, Brake Fluid, Transmission Oil & Transmission Oil Filter as per schedule. Topping up of Windshield Washer Fluid, as per requirement. Short Test (STAR Diagnosis), Interior & Exterior Cleaning (Vacuuming), Tyre Rotation, Visual Inspection.

Compact Plus [mileage limit]
Inclusions: Compact + Replacement of Brake Pads, Brake Discs, Brake Wear Sensor, Wiper Blades if required, Wheel Alignment, Wheel balancing.

Basis my research, the following service expense can be expected for my usage of ~10K per year (With 3% cost increase per year)
Note: This is as per guidelines without any exploration of reducing costs. Generally I follow guidelines and do not try to reduce costs. Also no other surprises are assumed.
Our 3-pointed star | Mercedes Benz GLE 300d Review-6fd213a615254de5b3f294c1bf3f9d39.jpeg

Star Ease Compact Plus and Compact plan charges. Cost of capital is the opportunity cost incurred due to upfront payment (this is only indicative)
Our 3-pointed star | Mercedes Benz GLE 300d Review-5ff213b642684b6d837017ba87bea931.jpeg

Savings (across plans for my usage) after accounting for cost of capital
Our 3-pointed star | Mercedes Benz GLE 300d Review-db3f1b54565d4b91bca3eec94bac6363.jpeg

Key Points
  • You can upgrade the package once before expiry of the package
  • If I drive more than 40K at 4th service, I will have to upgrade to not run into loss. This is because 4th year service gives the most savings.
  • For those who believe there could be significant mileage unpredictability, going for Compact plan makes sense.
  • Those who have light usage shouldn’t go for any plan, however, I didn’t get a chance to calculate the exact impact here
  • The low savings on 5y/100K is due to clear mismatch for my use. If one gets multiple services per year, it may make sense
  • Brake Disc replacement may get done with second brake pad change, so there is a possibility of higher savings on 4y/40K compact plus plan

Verdict
Went ahead with Compact Plus 4y/40K kms package

Last edited by abhilashgp : 22nd February 2021 at 12:23.
abhilashgp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:53   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on the beautiful ride Abhilash. And a big thumbs up to the wonderful review. I had also picked up a Mojave Silver GLE 400d from Akshaya Motors recently. As mentioned by you, the ride quality is amazing.
aravindrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 23:46   #27

Upgrading from the Jetta is a very difficult task! I had it in the US for a couple of years, dropping it off at the dealership (it was a lease) before my move back to India was a difficult day

An obvious replacement for me back in India (I was looking for SUV's only) was the Tiguan like you said, but it didn't bring the same thrill as the Jetta, also we owned a 2011 Vento as well and were not entirely satisfied with the after sales service as well as durability of the VW's in India. So I went on to acquire a BMW X1 for myself and I am very happy with the car as well as the after sales service given by the dealership.

Great choice on GLE and many congratulations to you and your family
anujarora94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Congratulations! Always a pleasure to read threads about upgrading from Jetta - I find them very insightful and unbiased.
Wholeheartedly second this opinion!

Although each time I read a Jetta upgrade thread, I am stuck between feeling bone chilling fear of how far away a worthy replacement for Jetta is and a sense of elation about the VFMness of Jetta.

Wishing the OP a massive congratulations from a fellow Jetta owner
icyspikey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:17   #29
BHPian

[quote=abhilashgp;5006964]Update

Attachment 2124412

Star Ease Compact Plus and Compact plan charges. Cost of capital is the opportunity cost incurred due to upfront payment (this is only indicative)
Attachment 2124411 QUOTE]

Savings (across plans for my usage) after accounting for cost of capital
Attachment 2124410

How did you arrive at the servicing cost?
I never did this detailed calculation so what is optimum package I should upgrade to if required. Expected yearly running to be 15- 18k yearly but with Covid around this will not happen for next 1 year or so.

I bought C 220d with compact plus 5y/100k
1st year - 15k driven in 10 months for 1st service
Due to covid running is extremely minimal approx 4k in next 12 months but the service interval is set at 22nd month which is due now instead of 24th month/ 2 years

If you can help explain? Should I delay my servicing by 2 months or what?
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindrn View Post
I had also picked up a Mojave Silver GLE 400d from Akshaya Motors recently. As mentioned by you, the ride quality is amazing.
Congrats Aravind! Please do share pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
I bought C 220d with compact plus 5y/100k
1st year - 15k driven in 10 months for 1st service
Due to covid running is extremely minimal approx 4k in next 12 months but the service interval is set at 22nd month which is due now instead of 24th month/ 2 years
If you can help explain? Should I delay my servicing by 2 months or what?
Hi Puneet, If its about timeline, I’m not sure how 2 months delay will help. I think you should just use it the way you originally intended and get service as per your original plan. Considering you have a 5y/100k plan, if you drive to your original plan of 15-18K for the next 3 years, you will still have saved some amount.

Most Viewed