Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 15:20   #331
BHPian

Re: My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)

Hi all,

This is my first ever post on team-bhp. Happy to be part of this amazing group.

I have been looking to buy a car for about a year now and have been quite confused all this while. My running and usage will not be very high therefore I prefer AT petrol, I really like Seltos but there are 2-3 issues that I came across:

1) Top end uses comes heavily loaded with all possible features but has a DCT gearbox, which is unreliable as a gear box.
2) Global NCAP ratings are not comforting either.
3) Little perception issue, it has become way too common. Hence, is little less desirable as it won't be so much exclusive even after spending around 22 lakhs.

The only other option that I have considered is Compass, while it solves 2nd and 3rd above mentioned issue, the gearbox in petrol is still DCT (though I haven't come across posts citing the issues of petrol, but since the issue is inherent to DCT, I am skeptical).

Further, I have read (on this forum and elsewhere) that petrol is slightly under powered and people have recommended diesel (I know that Seltos diesel top-end does not have DCT, but I am put-off by my 2nd and 3rd reason).

I am more or less certain to buy Compass, but now the confusion is petrol v diesel and am more inclined towards diesel on account of following reasons:

1) Powerful engine
2) Gear box is not a DCT

I just wanted to have everyone's feedback on this. Also, there are 2 issues with diesel AT:
1) only comes in 4x4 and I don't think, I will ever use the car for offroading to use the 4x4 capabilities.
2) my usage/running won't be high, so does it makes sense to buy a diesel with limited usage.

For these factors, does it make sense to spend extra money upfront to buy a diesel and on long term basis to maintain the car (guessing the maintenance cost of a diesel AT with 4x4 configuration will be higher than a petrol AT)

Let me know your recommendations on petrol AT v diesel AT. Thank you in advance for your help. Sorry for such a long post.
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:53   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Jeeper View Post
My Anniversary Edition Diesel Manual in Galaxy Blue colour was delivered last week

Also sharing some unedited photos here from the delivery day.
congrats on the new ride. The car looks absolutely stunning. wishing you happy days ahead.
sandpkd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:05   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to have everyone's feedback on this. Also, there are 2 issues with diesel AT:
1) only comes in 4x4 and I don't think, I will ever use the car for offroading to use the 4x4 capabilities.
2) my usage/running won't be high, so does it makes sense to buy a diesel with limited usage.
hai
I had driven prefacelift model of compass petrol AT and the new facelifted diesel AT. Among both, the diesel felt more punchier and more fun to drive than petrol. The mileage figures too are low for petrol(but it is expected thing for a car with kerb weight of 1600kg). Even though a DCT gearbox, there aren't any reported problems about the gearbox(like the DQ200 DSG). The DCT also isn't as quick as the VW/skoda DSG’s.

If financially you can increase your budget I think you should go for diesel AT.
NB: diesel AT too is also not so fun to drive as a DSG Gearbox. But since it is a torque convertor that too sourced from ZF, it should be reliable. its more linear power rather than that surge of torque which you get in a VW/skoda. But among both diesel fares better in my personal opinion
sandpkd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:34   #334
BHPian

Thanks. Also, came across a post on another thread that BS 6 diesel cars have to be run on a highway frequently for atleast 20 min or so for for DPF regeneration.. Are there any other points (in terms of Do's and Don'ts) which I should bear in mind before buying a diesel as my highway running etc. will be limited.. I don't want a car to run me; should always be other way round..
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:49   #335

Hi fellow members!

Wanted to know whether we can use the auto hold function safely. Would there be any issues in the gearbox if its regularly used. Asking it because when you use the function you are basically engaging the handbrake in drive mode. I was driving a Skoda rapid DSG and always used to shift to neutral in all minor stops in order to prevent unnecessary wear and tear in mechatronics.

MOD NOTE : Please space out after a punctuation mark. Request you to proof read posts before submitting it.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th August 2021 at 08:59. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 5th August 2021, 08:48   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Jeeper View Post
My Anniversary Edition Diesel Manual in Galaxy Blue colour was delivered last week

Not sure how accurate but according to the dealer this was the last diesel manual anniversary edition in bangalore and probably the entire Karnataka. Anyway the car is amazing. Very happy with the purchase.

Also sharing some unedited photos here from the delivery day.
Many congratulations!! It looks fab in blue & the anniversary edition alloys make it stand out. Great choice!

I’m considering the compass for my upgrade however the dealer says anniversary editions are sold out now. The black interiors will be low maintenance on model S but all black makes it a bit claustrophobic where as the interiors on the limited version has triple tones/shades thrown in!! Talk about going overboard. Did you manage to get any offers or discounts?

Question to BHPians: Do you think based on features, does the model S make its case? Projector led headlamps, digital instrument cluster, ventilated seats, 360 cameras at a premium of 2.5L over the limited version?
Old 5th August 2021, 09:35   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Many congratulations!! It looks fab in blue & the anniversary edition alloys make it stand out. Great choice!

I’m considering the compass for my upgrade however the dealer says anniversary editions are sold out now. The black interiors will be low maintenance on model S but all black makes it a bit claustrophobic where as the interiors on the limited version has triple tones/shades thrown in!! Talk about going overboard. Did you manage to get any offers or discounts?

Question to BHPians: Do you think based on features, does the model S make its case? Projector led headlamps, digital instrument cluster, ventilated seats, 360 cameras at a premium of 2.5L over the limited version?

Thanks Suhas!

Yes, like I said this was probably the last one, atleast in diesel manual. As you might be knowing, there are 2 dealers in bangalore - PPS and KHT, so make sure you check with both on availability and get price quote. I did manage to get a good discount as the car was previously booked by someone else and they cancelled at the last minute. So the dealer was also desparate. Got lucky!

The black interiors looked the best to me personally. Looks really sporty and premium in person. The dual tone one felt a bit too much to me as well but it might grow on you. Also, the fabric interior used in Sport and longitude looked really cheap and dull in person. The main reason I bought anniversary edition was for the interior. You always have the panaromic sunroof as well if you are feeling claustrophobic

Coming to your last question - yes, model S is a little overpriced and value wise limited is the best option. The below video explains it well. Hope this helps
Rookie_Jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 17:03   #338
BHPian

Got my Sport DDCT delivered this week. Very happy that I didn't fall for 'features' and bought a car which makes me happier.

Note:- Petrol Automatic is absolutely amazing. Many people mentioned that they find lag in lower RPMs but I didn't feel that at sll after 30 mins of driving. In fact I am finding it very smoother. Power output is also superb, we have Creta & Seltos both in family, no comparison in power output.

Mileage is a concern as it is showing just 6.5 Kmpl at the moment. Is it normal in the beginning? I don't drive harsh (except the first day of delivery in excitement).

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-screenshot_20210805232355__01__01.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 7th August 2021 at 19:54. Reason: Non-forum smileys deleted
RealAbhinavRajp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 09:46   #339
BHPian

RealAbhinavRajp....congrats on your new Jeep Compass. Do post an initial ownership review.
Coming to the mileage, I can see your concern. This car is a turbo petrol so please go through the manual and strictly follow the running in procedure.
Which was your previous car? I ask this question because turbo petrols are extremely sensitive to driving style. If your previous car was a NA petrol, then this car needs to be driven very differently.
Keep an eye on the dynamic mileage and adjust your throttle inputs and try and maximise that and you should get decent results.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th August 2021 at 21:10. Reason: JC = Jeep Compass. No acronyms please.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 10:42   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpkd View Post
Hi fellow members!

Wanted to know whether we can use the auto hold function safely. Would there be any issues in the gearbox if its regularly used. Asking it because when you use the function you are basically engaging the handbrake in drive mode. I was driving a Skoda rapid DSG and always used to shift to neutral in all minor stops in order to prevent unnecessary wear and tear in mechatronics.
You can turn-off this function and turn it on only when you really require this.
Old 9th August 2021, 20:21   #341
BHPian

Reposting on this forum:
Has anyone observed discomfort or pain in the shoulder and neck while driving facelift Compass? I am seeing some complaints about discomfort from few owners on the Facebook group.
Old 10th August 2021, 16:25   #342
BHPian

Hello everyone. Many Congratulations to all the Jeep owners in this thread on their machines. All the pictures posted really tempt me to go out and book one for myself.

I have been following this thread from day one and have practically gone through all reviews and Youtube videos of the face-lifted Compass.

While me and my entire family are all in to buy the New Jeep Compass (in all possibilities the S model-Diesel-MT), I am still in doubt on two things:

1. Jeep's Roadmap in India. It has been quite a lot of years since Jeep entered the Indian market and it still has just one mass market car on sale. Have heard about few more models in the line-up. However, I do not want to end up spending close to 30 lacs on my next car and see the brand shutting shop in India

2. Jeep's After Sales Service (including spare parts availability). I drive a lot and my family loves long road trips to the hills and destinations that are far. Thus, limited service network is another area of concern.

Does anyone have any visibility on Jeep's expansion plans or future position in India ?
Old 13th August 2021, 20:34   #343
BHPian

Does anyone have any visibility on Jeep's expansion plans or future position in India ?[/quote]

The merger of FCA and PSA Group in 2020, created a positive outlook for Jeep in India. But, PSA set up its own operations in Chennai away from Jeep manufacturing facility and came out with Citroen which was not received well in India. So not sure the Stellantis merger is operational merger or just a financial merger. Jeep has committed $ 250 million to Indian market but none of that is going to products that are volume drivers. So I am not sure if dealership expansion will happen on back of the new SUVs they are planning. Renegade is not in that $ 250 mn, and that is the car that could have pushed volumes for Jeep. It could have been the Kushaq for Jeep. Skoda is ramping up its dealer network after Kushaq. While Jeep wont move away from India, as factory is used for exports to RHS drive markets, I dont think dealership expansion will happen which is what existing customers want (cost of service, spares are all factor of volumes)
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 20:53   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi all

Let me know your recommendations on petrol AT v diesel AT. Thank you in advance for your help. Sorry for such a long post.
I would advice you to drive a Petrol Jeep Compass. Punchier and fun to drive is a very personal trait and you may actually like the Petrol head. I have driven the Diesel AT and it was no where compared to DSG on my Vento and hence did not feel that its any better than Vento. Test drive in the city, Diesel AT was sluggish and may be if you cross 60Kms you may not find an issue due to power of engine and my opinion may be wrong. So if you dont want to off-road you may be financial wiser buying Petrol. Assume you invest the additional 3-4 L in the market today, you could make 2-3x of the investment in the next 2-3 years the way in which market is moving today. So please test drive the vehicle and decide. Sometimes you will never get to use the additional power but pay the price. DCT/ Turbo engines all have some issues as they are complicated technology. ZF 9 speed TC also has reported issues. Take an extended warranty which should help you in case of an issue

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 13th August 2021 at 21:00.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 10:43   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAbhinavRajp View Post
Mileage is a concern as it is showing just 6.5 Kmpl at the moment. Is it normal in the beginning? I don't drive harsh (except the first day of delivery in excitement).

Attachment 2189744
Mileage will be on the lower side - I get around 7-8 in city(traffic and AC on) and around 10-11 on highways.

However, the motor is extremely refined and I have loved the ownership experience thus far(3+ years).
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks