Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 10:12   #1
BHPian

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)

The Research

I started looking for an upgrade for my Polo GT TDI in January 2020. After living with Polo for about 3.5 years and 60,000 km, I wanted my next car to have decent ground clearance. The ( initial ) budget was around 25 lacs OTR and the only options were Jeep Compass and Hyundai Tucson. Jeep Compass Diesel AT wasn't launched then and automatic transmission was available only on TrailHawk which had an on-road price of 35 lacs in Kerala. I waited for the launch of BS6 Compass because they were planning to launch Diesel AT. But the BS6 Compass was launched with a huge price hike that was more than enough to push the Compass away from my budget.

I tried looking for used Jeep Compasses on Olx but wasn't confident about buying a used 4x4 vehicle as it might be an abused vehicle. Towards the end of February, I got a call from a close friend of mine saying that someone he knows is selling his very well-maintained Hyundai Elantra ( 2017, Diesel MT, Blue ). I had already sold my Polo and the world was moving towards a pandemic, I didn't want to be left without a car and straight away bought the Elantra and the lockdown started within just 3 weeks of the purchase.

Elantra is an amazing car with excellent ride comfort, but coming from Polo, I started feeling that the car is very less connected to the road. The feel and feedback of the steering isn't confidence-inspiring. I started looking for a new car again and this time I had enough budget for Compass TrailHawk. I and my girlfriend got the green signal from the parents around August 2020 and the plan was to get married by February. I found that Jeep was going to launch a face-lifted compass towards the end of 2020. The only reason I did not buy the Compass in February 2020 was the price. I couldn't come up with even lame justifications for spending 32 lacs on a car that had mediocre interiors. In November 2020, the new Compass was showcased in Guangzhou auto-show. The interiors were reworked and suddenly it made sense for me to buy the new Compass.

Why Compass

b) Amazing handling and predictable body roll
c) New compass is packed with features
d) Design that ages well
e) Safety has been considered seriously
f) Comfortably cruises on bad roads
g) Exclusivity: Considering the number of Cretas and Seltoses on road, a Compass will still stand out.
h) It's a compact car, I do not have to buy a small car for the city.
i) 4WD. Even though it's not a need, I am excited to try out some newbie trails.
j) Not a bit of chrome on the exteriors.

Dislikes:
a) Lazy AT transmission. Gearshifts are slow and sometimes feels like the gearbox is confused. Not really a deal-breaker, it becomes predictable after a few hours of driving.
b) The car definitely is overpriced but is at the same time very desirable to ignore the sad fact.

Why 4X4 S & galaxy blue

When Jeep announced the variants and their price, the top variant was priced at 36 lacs OTR Calicut and the 80th-anniversary edition was priced at 33.5 lacs OTR. TrailHawk wasn't announced and most of the features in TrailHawk was added to S ( features like the digital instrument cluster, 4WD low etc ). I decided to go ahead with S just because it had ventilated seats and a good audio system. If I purchased the 80th-anniversary edition, I would've definitely invested in a better audio system that would cost around 1 lac and a trip to Cochin/Bangalore, so it made sense for me to pay 2.5 lacs for S and get a bunch of additional features. I didn't need 4x4 but Compass doesn't have 4x2 diesel AT.

One concern I had was that the front camera sticks out of the grille in the photos & launch video. Once the TD vehicle was available, I was relieved to see that the camera isn't easily noticeable.

Another concern was that the grey roof on S looks like it's made of concrete ( the color ). Light color Compasses ( grey/white/silver) comes with a black roof. I decided to go ahead with galaxy blue in a hope that I can wrap the roof in black if necessary. But when the TD vehicle (red) came home, I could see that the roof is of dark grey and not light grey as advertised.

Options Considered & Rejected

a) Toyota Fortuner / Ford Endeavour
Way too big. I mostly drive either alone or with just one passenger. full-size SUVs will simply make me feel like I am living alone in a 4BHK apartment . Also, the bouncy nature of full-size ladder-on-frame SUVs makes me feel less confident on curves.

b) BMW X1
Felt nothing special about the car during the test drive. The engine and transmission are better than Compass but if there is no badge, the car doesn't feel like it's worth the money.

c) Hyundai Tucson
Looks very outdated when compared to the new Compass and the new model has already been launched outside India. Experience with Hyundai is amazing but I strongly feel that most of the Hyundai cars are not made for enthusiasts as the steering feels very disconnected from the wheels.

d) Skoda Superb
The test drive made me understand that I really care about ground clearance. The power delivery and huge discounts ( Sportline for almost the price of Compass ) certainly put a smile on my face but the car is too long for city use and sits too low for bad roads. Rejected Superb with a plan to get a used Octavia after 2 years of its launch at maybe 15 lacs.

e) VW Tiguan Allspace
The ride quality is very stiff, even the small dips on the road surface can be felt inside. VW offered huge discounts ( because the car was 2019 make) but still didn't want to buy.

Pre-booking

I pre-booked the new compass on December 18th which was 2 weeks before Jeep unveiled the vehicle officially in India. SA came home with the used car guy of the dealership. The date of my wedding was fixed for February 17th. I was hopeful that the new compass will be available before that since they had already stopped production of the old compass. I started looking for options to sell Elantra. The price quoted by the dealership for the exchange was fair but I was pretty sure I will get a buyer for more than what the dealership offers. I tried cars24 and their offer was too low for even an i20 of the same age and condition. I was able to find a good buyer on Olx and finally decided to handover Elantra when Jeep announced the pricing on January 27th.

I talked to the SA and confirmed that my variant will be S 4x4 AT in galaxy blue color. The dealer agreed to a discount on the insurance, the final insurance amount was around 75k including taxes.

Jeep announced that the new compass will be available for test drives and deliveries from Feb 4th. February started, the days started passing by but there was no sight on model S in showrooms. I started getting worried as I wanted the car before the wedding and was looking forward to it. The dealer was not able to give me a timeline for the delivery as they were not getting any dates committed by FCA. Other variants started arriving at the dealerships after the first week of February but there still wasn't a sight of model S. The blue color was also not seen anywhere. I started talking to other dealerships in different cities and they also confirmed the same.

Finance

As with the majority of the car purchases, the initial budget was way too less than what I ended up paying in the end. Since people generally complain that Jeep Compass is overpriced by a few lacs, I hoped the company will not hike the prices significantly as an introductory offer. The opposite happened and Jeep hiked the price by about 3 lacs for the new top variant. Now that my wedding is also approaching, I thought of taking more money from the bank than I needed as a car loan. I started looking at banks that do not have pre-closure and pre-payment charges. Federal Bank with its interest rate of 7.5% was chosen finally. The whole process was very smooth, fast, and hassle-free.

The Frustration

On Feb 9th, I called up the Skoda dealership to see if they have any Superb in stock as I desperately wanted a car before the wedding. The test drive vehicle of Superb arrived within less than 1 hour at my home. The test drive was very pleasant and I was impressed by the vehicle. The dealership had a race-blue Sportline variant in stock and they said they will be able to deliver it within 4 days or less. There were good discounts and the price of Sportline was very close to that of the Compass. The same day I had a call with the manager of the Jeep dealership and he showed me the confirmation that the vehicle has been allotted. From my research, I found that a vehicle is first allotted and then billed and then dispatched to the dealership. Started my calculations again, if the car gets billed on Feb 10th, it will take another 4/5 days to reach Calicut and then it needs another 2 days for temporary registration. So, if everything goes well, I will get the car just before my wedding. Meanwhile, I was getting better offers from Skoda and Jeep sent a test drive vehicle to my home for a long test drive. Finally, I decided to take that leap of faith and started waiting for my Compass to get billed. On Feb 12th I got the confirmation that my Compass has been allotted.

Since Feb 12th, I got the same response from the dealership every day, "your car will be billed & dispatched tomorrow". My wedding was on 21st and I was getting frustrated by this attitude from FCA. The dealer was helpless as they can only let me know what they are hearing from FCA. Finally, I wrote an email explaining the whole sales experience to FCA. There wasn't any response to the email, I was very irritated as Jeep claims to be a premium brand but the customer support is horrible. Finally, I wrote a long email to the President of FCA India ( I think it was his personal email ), on 18th Feb and got a reply from the head of CRM very early in the morning. The same day the dealer sent me a sheet that they got from FCA and the sheet said there is a waiting period of 12-14 months for the Model S variant.

On Feb 22nd, the dealer gave me a pre-facelift Compass Petrol AT a loaner car. The car was in pretty good condition for a car used (or abused) by the dealership. I drove around 400km ( mostly sedated driving on ghat roads without traffic ) with a fuel economy of 10 kmpl.

Before getting the loaner car, I was using a Honda City petrol AT rented from IndusGo. The experience with IndusGo was good. The car was dropped off at my home on time in a very clean condition. The interiors of the car were clean and in great condition for a rental car, the exterior had a lot of dents. The rent was around 2k per day without fuel.

The Delivery

Finally, on Feb 24, I got a call from the SA and he said that the car will be billed the same day. The next day I got confirmation that the car has been dispatched and the invoice amount needs to be transferred before the car reaches the dealership. I agreed to this on a promise that the registration procedure will start only after I inspect the car in person. The bank asked me to transfer the downpayment to the account and they promptly transferred the whole invoice amount to the dealer's account. Bank also sent the delivery order and transaction details to the dealer. Got the confirmation and receipt of payment from the dealer within a couple of hours.

On March 1, the SA texted in the morning to inform me that the Compass has reached Calicut, my hometown. I went to the showroom in the afternoon for a quick PDI. SA also sent me the Form-20 after their PDI, I had to get it sealed by the bank. There was a strike on the next day and thus submitting documents for the temporary permit was scheduled for Wednesday. It took 2 days for the RTO to verify and approve the temporary permit. I opted for no accessories, I only needed the floor mats but I have used 3M nomads mats on my Polo and am very satisfied by it, planning to get the same for Compass. Also haven't purchased the extended warranty, I will purchase it before the first service. The prices quoted were 35k for the extended warranty and 7.7k for the floor mats.

Introducing, well, "Compass".

On the delivery day ( 05/03/2021 ).

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-5722b796c46e4100a38e6eafb3cdffe7_1_105_c.jpeg

Since the SA was super-helpful during the entire process that spanned close to 3 months, we bought him a watch as a gift. The dealership gave us some chocolates and Jeep gave us a cap, a pen, a key chain, and something that looks like a bag.

Few clicks on the next day.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-3aba5270766841b6b2146ad8bcbe59de.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-e9b68355ae2c4b458efc26017617bb3b.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-5782ea03fafc43119f968729ebd3de71.jpeg

Few clicks from Cochin.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-46.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-47.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-49.jpeg

Last edited by navaneeth : 8th March 2021 at 10:37.
navaneeth is offline   (124) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 10:21   #2
BHPian

re: My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)

Review Index

Exterior

Interior

Interior - ICE & DID

Driving and performance

Last edited by navaneeth : 8th March 2021 at 10:09.
navaneeth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 09:22   #3
BHPian

Exterior

Since there isn't a lot of changes on the outside, let the photos do the talking

On the day of delivery, at night.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-2.jpeg

The ritual of waking up the next day and checking up on the car.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-3.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-4.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-5.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-6.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-7.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-8.jpeg

Neatly hidden fog lamps.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-9.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-10.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-11.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-12.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-13.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-14.jpeg
navaneeth is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 09:39   #4
BHPian

Interior

Dashboard at night. There is no ambient lighting but there are lights on dor pockets, not really useful but looks good. The screen might look like it will be a distraction at night but it's not, and even if it does, there is a dedicated button to turn the display off, the display comes back to life when we touch the screen.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-15.jpeg

The Uconnect screen is a fingerprint magnet. AC vents are small and aren't very noticeable. AC is powerful enough to cool down the cabin quickly.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-16.jpeg

The new steering wheel is small and is nice to hold. The controls on the left side are for the digital instrument cluster and the controls on the right are for cruise control.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-17.jpeg

The first button is to turn off the engine start-stop function.
The second button is to toggle traction control.
The fourth button is to turn off park sense.

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-18.jpeg

The wireless charger is below the control buttons. Charging won't start if any of the doors are open. The wireless charger can only help to keep the current battery levels while wireless Carplay is in use. On my 4-5 hour drive to Cochin, the wireless charger managed to charge my phone only up to 17% from the initial 5% Also, notice the odd positioning of EPB.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-19.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-20.jpeg

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-21.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-22.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-23.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-24.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-25.jpeg

The button on the left is for adjusting the brightness of the instrument cluster and the middle one is for adjusting the headlights.
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-26.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-27.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-28.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-29.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-30.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-31.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-32.jpeg

Sun-roof makes the cabin feel very spacious and airy but it's hard to convince people that it's not safe to put their head or body outside the car ( thanks to the movies ). The operation of the sun-roof is not noisy ( yet ).
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-50.jpeg

Last edited by navaneeth : 8th March 2021 at 12:10.
navaneeth is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 09:50   #5
BHPian

Interior - ICE & Digital Instrument Cluster

Digital Instrument Cluster
The display is crisp and responsive. The controls are on the buttons located on the left-hand side of the steering. The only downer is that the cluster cannot display maps via apple car play/android auto. The brightness of the display can be adjusted using the switch near the headlight controls.

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-33.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-34.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-35.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-36.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-37.jpeg

ICE
The display is very crisp even under the sun. The sound quality of the Alpine speakers is very good. The ventilated seats and 360-camera can be accessed/controlled only through the display. The clarity of the cameras is pretty good. Wireless Carplay works seamlessly, the connection process is also pretty straight-forward and quick.

My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-38.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-39.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-40.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-41.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-42.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-43.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-45.jpeg
My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)-44.jpeg

Last edited by navaneeth : 8th March 2021 at 12:09.
navaneeth is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 08:39   #6
BHPian

Driving & performance

The majority of the reviews mention that the diesel AT gearbox is slow and confused. I totally agree with this but you will get used to it after driving for a couple of hours and then the gearshifts become very predictable ( but still slow ). It is true that the gearbox sometimes takes a couple of seconds to find the right gear, this delay is enough to miss some overtake opportunities while driving on 2 lane highways. If we push the car harder, there is too much noise coming from the engine and it ruins the overall ambience.

I drove from Calicut to Cochin ( around 200km ). The car cruises very well on the highway, the engine feels relaxed most of the time. We had to visit some places in Cochin in heavy traffic, it's easy to manoeuvre the car in the city due to it's smaller dimensions and a not-so-eager gearbox. Before getting the car, I thought of the 360-degree camera as a fancy feature but now I realise that it's very useful in the narrow lanes. Engine performance is satisfactory on both highways and city roads but it sure doesn't have the punch of the manual gearbox of Compass. The acceleration is very linear and the 80kmph speed warning ( a single beep ) comes in very quickly. I wouldn't say it's a gearbox for enthusiasts, it cannot be compared with the DSG box on Tiguan or the torque converter on Tucson. There is a manual mode but the speed of shifts are nowhere close to that of the VW/Skoda DSG. Another issue that I noticed is that the car holds on to gear for a few seconds even after the throttle input is reduced, this is irritating as we are burning fuel for absolutely no reason. The turbo lag is masked very well, it's barely noticeable. From outside the car, the engine has a very unpleasant sound while idling. The engine doesn't sound very refined ( comparing with my previous car - Hyundai Elantra diesel ) and becomes very vocal at higher RPMs. The NVH levels of the car are very good, I haven't noticed any wind/road noises. The vibration from the engine can be felt inside the car ( I have been using petrol AT for a few weeks and the vibration was almost inexistent ).

Whenever I drive a car, I compare it with the handling and dynamic of my Polo GT TDI. Compass stays composed at even high speeds, the steering is firm and is very responsive. In the city, the steering sometimes feels heavy. There is some body-roll but it's not very noticeable, the car feels more planted on the road than the Compass petrol AT. The suspension isn't too stiff or too soft, bigger speed breakers at moderate speeds can be felt inside but the car remains stable and planted. At slower speeds, the unevenness of the roads can be felt but at moderate/high speeds, nothing is felt inside. I would say the suspension is also very quiet in its operation. Overall the ride quality and handling is amazing. The braking performance is excellent, the car stops quickly without any drama.

At the time of writing this thread, I had driven only 300km on my new Compass. Fuel economy on the highway is around 14kmpl and around 11kmpl within the city. The engine start/stop function is very irritating, for some reason, I am not uncomfortable using this feature as I feel like it's not good for the car to start and stop every minute or so in heavy traffic ( I might be probably wrong about this ). The engine gets stopped when the car is brakes to a complete halt and starts quickly when the brake is applied. There is a button on the dashboard to disable the engine start/stop feature but the features get enabled later when you manually stop and start the engine later.

My overall review is that the Compass is an amazing car to drive. It's well planted and composed even on corners and is the ideal touring vehicle for me. I haven't tried the 4WD lock, 4WD low etc yet will update the thread when I do.

Last edited by navaneeth : 8th March 2021 at 12:12.
navaneeth is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 06:29   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on the car & the gal . Your Compass is going to our homepage today.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:18   #8
BHPian

Nice write up! Something to chew on till my Galaxy Blue gets delivered! Do let us know about the connected car experience whenever you get it working!
scarezebra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:45   #9
BHPian

Congrats Navneeth! For Car & Marriage!

I have been waiting for your ownership thread, very detailed and well written. I am at 'Frustration' Stage right now, waiting for my compass. Did you finally do a PDI before registration? did you find any issues?

Insurance quote of 75K is good, in Delhi they are saying 'we will offer you discount on insurance" but by how much they are not telling. Can you please tell which Insurance company insured your car?
pankaj_9730 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Congratulations for both the milestones in life!

Thanks for the review with pictures doing the talking. I feel Jeep should have a 4x2 diesel auto for people who do not need the 4x4. Or, Jeep should tune the ZF9 better so that it makes this a more complete and compelling package.
starrys987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:01   #11
BHPian

Brilliantly written. Unlike many, I think there is room for a compact 4x4 car. Compass is the only one, even though the price is high.

Appreciate your response
1. Do you see the noise insulation is a step up from previous generation? I found the BS4 Compass to be noisier than other diesels.
2. If you can compare the automatic box to another mainstream car, which one would that be?

Congratulations and happy mile munching.

A general question to all- Quite a bit of near new Jeep Compass vehicles come for resale. Just check olx or any other marketplace. What could be the reason?
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Many congratulations and I wish you a very happy married life!!

And congratulations for the new Jeep. Glad to know that you could get the car of your choice, even if slightly delayed. That blue is real treat to the eyes

Wish you many happy miles with the Compass. Please keep updating your ownership experience.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:26   #13
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations on the twin good news!

I am looking at a similar list of cars you have mentioned. So far did a TD of Superb & Jeep. I really loved Superb, but I did feel it was indeed long for city driving. Honestly, I haven't had sedans before, so driving Superb was a big step up. It was also a long TD [~1 hour], so got a very good feel of the vehicle.

On Jeep, my major issue was I felt there was little space for my left leg. I am 6'4 and my left leg was almost below the brake. I was driving a limited option variant. Also, the steering was also very close to my knee but this is something I face in many cars.
slayer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:58   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on the car and wedding Navaneeth. Very good and crisp review there. The car looks amazing. I have one question - why is the wireless charging so slow? Did you speak to Jeep about it yet? Can owners of the Venue or other cars please share your thoughts on the time it takes to charge your phones?
Old 9th March 2021, 11:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Congratulations on the car and wedding Navaneeth. Very good and crisp review there. The car looks amazing. I have one question - why is the wireless charging so slow? Did you speak to Jeep about it yet? Can owners of the Venue or other cars please share your thoughts on the time it takes to charge your phones?
Wireless charging is anyway slower than regular charging, that's how the phones are set up too. For example an iPhone charges at 5-7.5W on wireless charging (unless you have an iPhone 12 and Apple's proprietary magsafe charger which charges at 15W).

Nothing is wrong with the wireless charger on the car. It's the way the technology is right now.

Also what makes it worse on cars is that wireless connections to Apple CarPlay / AA happen via Bluetooth and WiFi which anyway drains battery very rapidly vs a traditional cable Car Play connection.

So two factors in play here
1. Faster battery drain because of wireless connections between the phone and the car's infotainment system.
2. The slow output of wireless charges in general

Always better to use a wire to charge, given the state of the wireless charging technology.

That's why I feel, features such as these are gimmicks.
fast&curious is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed