Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 14:25   #106
BHPian

Re: My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
Folks how are planning to buy a Jeep Compass Petrol, should sincerely evaluate Kushaq's top end variant. It's got a powerful engine, ventilated seats, subwoofer, wireless charging, sunroof and above all a 1.5L TSI engine mated to DSG. The engine and gear box combination was good on the VW T-Roc. Looks like a good 6L-7L savings may be possible based on market pricing rumor. I am not sure how Skoda will compete with the breadth of Hyundai's service, but I am sure it will be if not at par, better than Jeeps breadth. I am not getting into quality of service comparison as I have not owned any of the brands
Not an apple to apple comparison, the Jeep is a segment above for certain, the interiors of the 2021 Compass, are on a different level, IMO.

The new Kushaq looks more compact than the Compass & I believe comes with the infamous DQ200 DSG gearbox.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:38   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Folks how are planning to buy a Jeep Compass Petrol, should sincerely evaluate Kushaq's top end variant. It's got a powerful engine, ventilated seats, subwoofer, wireless charging, sunroof and above all a 1.5L TSI engine mated to DSG. The engine and gear box combination was good on the VW T-Roc. Looks like a good 6L-7L savings may be possible based on market pricing rumor. I am not sure how Skoda will compete with the breadth of Hyundai's service, but I am sure it will be if not at par, better than Jeeps breadth. I am not getting into quality of service comparison as I have not owned any of the brands
Well. I was thinking of going for the C2 segment- and wait for Kushaq and Taigun and save INR 5 lacs . Taigun is to be launched further later this year, so was ruled out. KUSHAQ is smaller, its more like S- Cross, the interiors are hard plastic and Skoda has deviated a little from the original styling elements to make it more edgy than subtle . This apparently came up as a need in their market research. Further the plastic used in buttons have changed from before. If you see the images - you will see it stands substantially shorter than Jeep Compass ( a D1 member) ; yes it gives three headrests on the rear seat, however it will be interesting to see what happens to ride quality and comfort when three adults sit on the rear seat.

Personally - after I saw the launch yesterday- I am happy I did not wait. Also the rear horizontal chrome is too blingy and the dashboard too busy. . I think the lower positioned touch AC controls will be an issue . In terms of comparing- I would not compare the two - not fair on either.
CarEnthusiast10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
This comparison is not relevant in my opinion. The Kushaq doesn't look like a premium offering from Skoda. The Kushaq will be competing with Hyundai Creta / Kia Seltos etc while Compass competes with Hyundai Tucson & Skoda Karoq. I think Skoda is trying to fit in as many features as they could under the budget as for most people, the number of features in the list matters more than the actual quality or usability of those features.
navaneeth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:58   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Folks how are planning to buy a Jeep Compass Petrol, should sincerely evaluate Kushaq's top end variant.
Well I was actually waiting for the Kushaq launch yesterday before going ahead with my booking. Honestly the Kushaq felt quite underwhelming. Looks like it's targeting customers who might be evaluating sub 4m SUV's rather than the Creta / Seltos. Definitely looks a segment or two below the Compass. Of course I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I got from all the walkaround videos released yesterday.
Quoter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 15:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Did a short test drive of the manual diesel today. I felt the clutch was not that light; maybe because I am used to petrol cars. Mother did not like the tan interiors of the limited variant. So, looking at a white 80th Anniversary for now. Fingers crossed.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:25   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
This comparison is not relevant in my opinion. T
While, I appreciate your view, I beg to differ. Any buyer who is looking at a Petrol Jeep Compass could evaluate the Kushaq as its giving more value than a Jeep Compass Petrol at 6L-8L lower price. I am sure VAG driving dynamics would be maintained on this vehicle also. Based on all the reviews on this forum, the main message that one gets is Petrol Jeep Compass is not exciting to drive and there is no fun or kick in the pants/ or skirts. Then why should one invest 24-28L on the car, when one gets same or better dynamics in a Skoda. Even, the other auto reviewers just mention that by the way Jeep has a petrol option but immediately say that diesel is the car to be driving.
I agree, that Diesel buyers wont be influenced as they have a better capacity engine with a manual box which is fun to drive or an auto which though, not spirited has 4*4 which is not offered by Kushaq.

PS: Since I want to drive a diesel before its phased out of the country and hence, I am going with my decision to buy 80th anniversary edition. But if I had booked the petrol, I would surely have re-evaluated as I get a powerful engine and a fab gear box which will be bring smile when I push the car.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th March 2021 at 17:52. Reason: Spacing & punctuation.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 19:03   #112
BHPian

Quote:
While, I appreciate your view, I beg to differ. Any buyer who is looking at a Petrol Jeep Compass could evaluate the Kushaq as its giving more value than a Jeep Compass Petrol at 6L-8L lower price.

Then why should one invest 24-28L on the car, when one gets same or better dynamics in a Skoda.

PS: Since I want to drive a diesel before its phased out of the country and hence, I am going with my decision to buy 80th anniversary edition. But if I had booked the petrol, I would surely have re-evaluated as I get a powerful engine and a fab gear box which will be bring smile when I push the car.
First of all congratulations on your 80th Anniversary edition Jeep Compass. Welcome to the world of Jeepers. Wishing you a happy and smooth ownership experience.

Coming to Compass being compared with Kushaq, it really depends on what features of Kushaq you are comparing with Compass. Kushaq has a powerful turbo petrol engine compared to Compass, yes I agree, but the comparison stops here. The DSG gearbox, as mentioned many Bhpians is a problematic one. It is not very reliable one. I have not heard much negative feedback on Compass AT gearbox, yes it is slower gearbox compared to the famous DSG, but a reliable one.

In defense of Compass, it has better interiors with soft touch material on dashboard and other touch places, the overall cabin experience is very up-market compared to Kushaq/Creta. My father has a top end SX(O) Creta, trust me the interior quality is nowhere in the league of Compass. I asked my dad to lift Creta's bonnet and then asked him to lift the bonnet of my Compass, he really felt the heft on the Compass bonnet. It is H-E-A-V-Y.

Skoda's build quality is also miles ahead compared to Creta, Rapid is one such example and I am guessing the same is continued in Kushaq. Unfortunately many people are comparing Compass pricing with Creta and hence I cannot stop this ranting.

All variants of Compass come with Frequency Selective Dampening Suspension system sourced from KONI (this is not seen even in Fortuner), Electronic Park Break, all 4 disc breaks with ABS, break throttle override, dynamic steering control, side guard door beams, dual stage airbags and many more safety features which are not visible to our eyes and are missing from Kushaq/Creta/Seltos. This is where the extra lakhs goes.

If I am looking for a fun to drive car I would go with Kushaq, but if budget is not a constraint and if I am looking for a safe and reliable car, I would go with Compass and will be happy to shell out extra $ for the safety.

Coming to maintenance, Skoda and Jeep both are culprits here. They both charge a bomb for spares and service. It is always advisable to go with extended warranties and AMC's packages if offered. So to conclude, you have made a fantastic choice by choosing Compass, enjoy the beast.

On a lighter note, the 7 slot grill is worth the extra 7 lakhs.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 22:23   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
The Compass is atleast 2-3 levels above it. Not to forget, the buyer has to contend with Skoda ASS and the DQ200 gearbox.
If I was looking to buy a Skoda SUV/Crossover, I would wait my luck out, for the Kamiq.
My Vento TSI has the same gear box. I have driven 75k kms of which 40% would be on the highway. Some of these trips on the high way would have been driving continuously for 8-12 hours. Touchwood, I have not faced any issues with the gear box. Planning to trade mine off closer to delivery date which is in May. May be I was plain lucky with DSG gear box. Just to add, the Sundaram service manager in Chennai, told me during one of my visits that VW has fixed the issue on the gear box and from 2017 onwards the customers having jerking issues did not come up other than an odd case . Apparently, he attended a training in Pune along with a couple of his collogues who were certified to deal in the gear box issue. My driving is not sedated and so dont think its because of my driving style, that I did not face issue with gear box. Any ways have decided to move from VW to Jeep.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 11:18   #114
BHPian

Hi Navaneeth,

can you please share some email addresses (CRM, or sales in FCA) that you used in order to get information about your delivery/Allotment ETA? I am kind of frustrated because i booked on 1st Feb (Diesel 4x4 AT, Anniversary edition) but neither dealer nor the FCA support (service.indiajeep@stellantis.com) is responding with any definitive ETA.

sorry for writing on your ownership thread (Being a newbie i don't have ability to send DMs yet)

Thanks
Pankaj
Old 21st March 2021, 13:56   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_9730 View Post
Hi Navaneeth,

can you please share some email addresses (CRM, or sales in FCA) that you used in order to get information about your delivery/Allotment ETA? I am kind of frustrated because i booked on 1st Feb (Diesel 4x4 AT, Anniversary edition) but neither dealer nor the FCA support (service.indiajeep@stellantis.com) is responding with any definitive ETA.
Did you get some contact information for FCA?
Old 21st March 2021, 14:44   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplife_newbie View Post
I think deliveries are dealer dependent and factors like their revenue/cash flow and customer financing method determine the dealer's prioritization matrix. The vehicle would get dispatched from Ranjangaon basis the Salesforce entry and prioritization would be done by the dealer. I would be surprised if the manufacturer could or want to control customer satisfaction.
CarEnthusiast10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 15:39   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_9730 View Post
I think only the dealer can give an exact ETA. I tried tweeting/emailing/calling FCA but the relevant/useful responses always came from the dealer. I did not get an ETA until 5 days before the car reached the dealership. There is a variant-wise waiting period sheet (Link) that I got from the dealer, not sure if it will be applicable to other regions.

Regarding contact information, jeepcallcentre.india@fcagroup.com is the address I recently used to get JeepLife app issues fixed, they responded in a couple of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEnthusiast10 View Post
I would be surprised if the manufacturer could or want to control customer satisfaction.
You are right but this isn't just about customer satisfaction, if the dealers are also kept under the dark about the timeline of dispatches, the dealer might not be very satisfied

Last edited by navaneeth : 21st March 2021 at 15:44.
navaneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 15:40   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I think deliveries are dealer dependent and factors like their revenue/cash flow and customer financing method determine the dealer's prioritization matrix.
How would the customer financing method determine prioritisation, unless FCA offer financing on its own? While speaking to SAs in both Delhi and Chandigarh, no one mentioned financing via FCA to me, both recommended private banks like HDFC or ICICI or Kotak Mahindra.

Quote:
The vehicle would get dispatched from Ranjangaon basis the Salesforce entry and prioritization would be done by the dealer. I would be surprised if the manufacturer could or want to control customer satisfaction.
But shouldn’t the manufacturer be concerned about customer satisfaction, at least pre sales? Wouldn’t it just make a bad impression in the market if the brand is not customer friendly or customer responsive? Like make a potential customer question that if the response is so bad before a sale, how would the brand perform if there is a problem after a sale?

P.S. I spoke to my SA today and he asked me if I wanted a Limited Variant instead of the Anniversary Variant in Techno Green because they have started getting allocations for Limited variants in Techno Green in 15-20 days from the date of booking. Or I could go for a Magnisio Grey or Black colour for Anniversary Variant which they just got allocations for. But sticking to my guns here and waiting for the Hulk. *fingers crossed*
Old 21st March 2021, 16:21   #119
BHPian

Quote:
No. Actually FCA looped back dealership in. Dealership's sales head called me and assured that my car will be allotted in march (they got confirmation from FCA). So waiting for next 10 days to see if that commitment is true!
pankaj_9730 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 19:24   #120
BHPian

Quote:
How would the customer financing method determine prioritisation, unless FCA offer financing on its own? While speaking to SAs in both Delhi and Chandigarh, no one mentioned financing via FCA to me, both recommended private banks like HDFC or ICICI or Kotak Mahindra.

But shouldn’t the manufacturer be concerned about customer satisfaction, at least pre sales? Wouldn’t it just make a bad impression in the market if the brand is not customer friendly or customer responsive? Like make a potential customer question that if the response is so bad before a sale, how would the brand perform if there is a problem after a sale?

P.S. I spoke to my SA today and he asked me if I wanted a Limited Variant instead of the Anniversary Variant in Techno Green because they have started getting allocations for Limited variants in Techno Green in 15-20 days from the date of booking. Or I could go for a Magnisio Grey or Black colour for Anniversary Variant which they just got allocations for. But sticking to my guns here and waiting for the Hulk. *fingers crossed*
I thought, that the Limited variant has a tan colour running through the dash which I did not like and hence choose the anniversary variant. Are you sure you get a grey instead of tan on the Limited. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post.
IMHO you should wait for 80th anniversary if you like it as it has some distinct features and worth waiting for it even if its a month. The Alloys are better than S variant.

Most Viewed