Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review

Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce all of you to my first car dubbed Red Rascal. Born sometime in the last week of February 2021, Red Rascal is a Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI MT Highline+. It was delivered to me on the 1st of March 2021.

After a 4-month long car hunting ritual, I finally brought home Red Rascal.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-polo-1st-mar.jpeg
As per the TeamBHP customs:
Pros:
  • The powerhouse of a 1.0 TSI and the smooth(ish) 6MT gearbox.
  • The ability to give gapplebees in traffic.
  • The Build to last philosophy. (Got me eating my words so far)
  • The Sticky handling.
  • The Economy.
Cons:
  • The most annoying one is the exclusion of keyless entry.
  • Brutal Cost-cutting (Headlamp unit/headlight, horn, no padding on door cards, dismal lighting in-cabin and no lighting in boot).
  • The MID is useless after 80 KMPH.
  • I have already visited the service centre more than 5 times in less than 6 months. And I am still not done.(Tho not always for mechanical issues)
  • The Economy.

Last edited by KA19Rao : 2nd March 2022 at 11:55.
KA19Rao is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 14:11   #2
BHPian

re: Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review

The Buying Decision:

Circa 2nd week of November 2020 my parents decided that it is time that I get my own car for my 22nd Birthday. My father was well aware of my intention of buying a VW Polo 1.2 TSI as my first car after I begin earning. And as a surprise my father wanted to gift me said car for my 22nd Birthday, he had identified one such example which belonged to a friend who was also coincidentally looking to dispose of it. However, for various reasons, the deal fell through. After this, my father disclosed his plan of getting a car for me and then told me that I should look for a used car myself with a budget of 7 to 7.5L all in.

This being a lifelong dream I jumped into action and began browsing the classifieds. Shortly after shortlisting some decent examples, a good friend of mine introduced me to his latest acquisition a pre-worshipped Skoda Laura TDI DSG. It turned out to be a love at first drive sensation, taking into account all the aspects of ownership (or so I thought at the time) I decided that I would shift my focus and begin researching and hunting for a pre-worshipped Skoda Laura TDI DSG or the Volkswagen Jetta TDI DSG. This took up a considerable amount of time which in hindsight turned out to be fruitless. The lack of good examples in the KA market was astounding, to say the least. The Jetta had to be ruled out as there were very few examples on sale and those were in the realm of 10L and above. The Lauras on sale especially the TDIs generally had terrible histories or the asking was too high to even begin negotiations thus, delaying my purchase.

A month or so later the Laura friend of mine started facing some minor issues here and there and finally, a major issue of his radiator leaking plagued his car. I was aware of all such niggles being a part and parcel of the ownership experience despite which I was ready to take the plunge into what is essentially a 10-year-old german. However, what I had failed to consider is the amount of time it would require to fix any and all the issues I would inadvertently have faced if I were to own one. It was pointed out to me that as a 22-year-old who freshly graduated from Law, I would have very little time to rectify any niggles that would crop-up and will have an embarrassing time explaining to my employers why I was late or why I need some time off. Another aspect to consider is that I am essentially fresh into the Indian automotive scene and am yet to develop the necessary connections to maintain such cars, especially considering that FNGs are the only reliable sources to maintain the upkeep of such cars.

At this point, my parents and I took up the decision to go for something reliable(read NEW).
When the new car search began I began my search for the available offerings and summarily dismissed one after the other after reading reviews and conducting my research. My list of wants from the car was topped by F-U-N T-O D-R-I-V-E out of the box followed by the potential to play around (also read as: modify it to behave like a hooligan).

Considering the options in my budget I had:
Tata Altroz
The iTurbo was just launched at the time. It is a well-rounded car with good safety ratings. Cannot comment on the driving nature of the car as I did not drive it.
This would have been one of the top contenders if I had no intentions of modifying the car down the line and being totally honest the history of the badge and the brand using their initial customers as guinea pigs was a turn-off as well.
(No offence towards TATA and its customers, they are showing commendable effort but they are not there yet.)

Hyundai Siblings i10 & i20
Being a Hyundai user I was interested in trying out some of the other options. However, the biggest turn-off was the latest Safety ratings that it received. Another thing to consider was also the fact that the i20 Turbo top end was pushing close to 14L on road Mangalore and the i10 Turbo was pushing close to 9.5L. (IMO overpriced by about 2L and 1L respectively.)

Maruti Suzuki Swift & Baleno
Brilliant packages all in especially the service network but, have been proven to have terrible safety ratings. I think these cars have been bashed enough on this forum. (Read: unsafe, lazy OEM's with respect to innovation and development, the non-self-centring steerings, etc.)

Ford Figo
No doubt the last Ol'Skool design diesel hatch in India, afraid Ford India might pull a Chevrolet here in India (what with their Mahindra deal falling through and all) so it was dropped from consideration.

Honda Jazz
Honestly writing I just remembered about the Jazz whilst typing up this review. Says a lot about the offering if I may say so.

Skoda Rapid Rider+ (Only Sedan Considered)
The Rapid Rider+ was the only consideration as it was the only variant that made sense other than the top-spec variant IMO. The Rapid Rider+ is a brilliant offering for someone on a budget but some of the basic features that are in my books are quite essential such as height-adjustable seats, power window control switches for the rear, MFD with more than just trip information(I'll admit its a nice to have more than must-have), etc.
However, my requirements did not demand lots of rear legroom nor did it require massive boot space, and thus saw the VW Polo Highline+ as better value for the same money.
However, I shall mention here that I also TD the Rapid TSI in both MT and AT avatar with TAFE Access Mangaluru. At the time (Sometime end of November) they had a White Onyx TSI AT in stock and was offered the same at 13.5 and change with more room for negotiation. It was a good car and a good deal but it is twice the initial budget and it was dropped.

Volkswagen Polo
The heart wants what the heart wants.

P.S.: I will refrain from buying anything SUV'ish until my health permits. (Same philosophy applied during this purchase as well.)

The Booking and Buying experience.

In the last weeks of December 2020, I applied on the online portal of VW for a TD of the Polo TSI, I was promptly called by VW Mangaluru the next day. A day and time were arranged and a sales rep showed up albeit a little late, and I was allowed to take a test drive for as long as I wished and was quite satisfied with the experience. I informed them that I was busy during the New Years' period and informed them that I will be booking the car once I was free.
During this period I was waiting to hear back from a wildcard entry of a pre-owned pristinely maintained FL Rapid Style TDI AT. After not hearing back from the seller I decided to drop the Rapid and go ahead with the Polo.

At the time of booking, we contacted our acquaintance at the dealership and informed them of our intentions of purchasing a Polo. At this time we were informed that their Test Drive Vento Highline+ MT with a mere 15xx Kms. was due for replacement at the time and was offered to us at a mouth-watering price, unfortunately, the dealership had also instructed their sales staff to disclose the same offer to its other "well-known" clients and when I tried to book the same I was informed that the other sales reps had simultaneously accepted 2 other bookings for the same car, I decided that there was no point in waiting to clear this conundrum and chase a car that was "used". And decided to go ahead with the purchase.
In hindsight, if I had not wasted my time with The wildcard Rapid and the Wildcard TD Vento, I would have been able to put my booking in before the January price hike introduced by VW.
AT or MT
No doubt AT is the more practical option but certain things pushed me towards buying an MT car.
  • AT was available only in GT guise.
  • Price difference was 2L. (Stretching the budget way over)
  • Not a DSG. (Yeah Yeah I Know)
  • My driving experience so far has been mostly with an AT.
  • Most likely going to be my last MT car.
  • I am young enough to bear the brunt of driving an MT in dense traffic.
    (IMO VW should have offered the Polo AT TC in the Highline+ guise and a Polo AT DSG in GT guises)
Anywho, coming to the actual booking experience we conveyed to the dealership that we are not interested in the Vento and would like to go ahead with a Polo, at this point they asked my colour preferences to which I replied Lapiz Blue, Flash Red, and White in that order. Lapiz Blue commanded a waiting period of 3 months, so that was eliminated. After checking available stock they informed me that White was available and could be delivered within the month. However, I was informed that if I was willing to wait till the end of February they could try arranging for a Lapiz Blue example if not they could definitely arrange for Flash Red. Due to other commitments, my schedule required me to stay in Mangaluru till the end of February and I was quite happy to wait for a Flash Red Polo.

P.S.:Please take my buying experience with a pinch of salt if you decide to purchase a VW as my purchase was made with a dealership where the top management was known to us.
That being said I would like to stress that all my interactions with the dealership until the booking stage were done unbeknownst to the top management and I was more than satisfied with the experience, right from applying for a Testdrive online till deciding to book the vehicle.
P.P.S.: I am in no way financially or otherwise related to Bharat Vehicle Works and to the Volkswagen Mangaluru group.

Delivery day

After an excruciatingly long wait of almost a month on the 1st of March 2021, I got my Polo delivered to me. The car arrived at Mangaluru on the 1st itself and I insisted that I receive the delivery on the 1st itself. I received the car at about 5 in the evening after the demo and a small cake cutting (which I had asked them not to do). I received all the necessary papers and the Paytm fastag on the same day. (Kudos to the VW Mangaluru team.)

Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-dday.jpg
Customary Reveal procedure.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-dday-grin.jpg
That grin was plastered across my face all day.

The team felt bad that they could not source a Lapiz Blue car for me so as a gesture they gifted me a Lapiz Blue Mug.
Post Delivery Annoyances
I shall keep it brief, I got the car inspected on the 1st of March by the RTO in charge, who then uploaded the details to the Bengaluru RTO for approval 3 days after inspecting the car. After getting the details the Bengaluru RTO took another 6 days to approve the details and allot my number. One fine day, 9 days after delivery is when I received the SMS from VAAHAN. It took a further 4 days to obtain the HSRP from the Bengaluru RTO. The application has been made online requesting the RTO Smart Card on the 14th of March only time will tell how long it will take to obtain it.

Accessories and Extra fittings.

Pre-delivery purchases.
Jopasu Car duster(well duhh)
There was a good deal on amazon for the Duster, mini duster, and the rejuvenator so it was purchased. INR 1400.

70Mai Pro Dashcam
This was purchased from NEXDIGITRON the official distributor as it was cheaper by 500 on their own website. I also purchased a 64GB SD from amazon. INR 5999+720
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-dashcam.jpeg

Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-dashcam-wire-placement.jpeg
I had asked the Service Centre to route the cable from the camera to the dash below and they did a fantastic job routing it from behind the infotainment system and down from a hole near the cupholders.

Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-driver-pov.jpeg

Sensairy External TPMS
Again purchased through the Tymtix website as it was cheaper by 500 than on amazon. INR 5500
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-tpms-box.jpg
One Year Update: It has caused more troubles than it has saved. Would recommend going for the Internal system offered by them. (P.S. Ajay has been very helpful with my queries and they have also replaced the rear right sensor under warranty.)

Key Covers
Key care Silicone Flip key, Red and Grey. INR 299
Bad decisions would not purchase it again.

JVCV Carbon Silicone Flip Key case, Black. INR 425.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-flip-key-cover.jpeg

Post Delivery Installation
Spigen Car Phone Holder
Perfectly fulfils my needs, although it requires a metal plate to be installed on the back of your phone, so it's not recommended for people who use wireless charging as it blocks the coils.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-spigen-phone-holder.jpeg

Rear view camera
This was purchased directly from the dealership and was installed a couple of days after the delivery. It is of non-OEM make and the quality that can be expected from it is also non-OEM.

Headlight Upgrade
Aozoom brand HID bulbs were replaced with the low beam bulbs of the double-barrel setup and I am more than satisfied with the output, however, it needs a little more alignment tweaking to set it just right. INR 8500
Horn Upgrade
Hella Dual Tone Blackpearl was replaced with the OEM single-tone horn simultaneous to the headlight install. INR 1000
The OEM horn was meek and IMO useless as it does not do what is expected out of honking. I personally never use the horn unless absolutely necessary and for that purpose, a loud warning is what has been the most effective measure, the OEM horn used to fall on deaf ears to both Scooters and Trucks, Riders hogging the fast lane 99% of the time used to turn their head around to see that it was a car and then proceed to make way.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-vm-customs.jpg
The purchase and installation of both the above were undertaken at VM Customs in Mangaluru.

Last edited by KA19Rao : 2nd March 2022 at 11:11.
KA19Rao is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:28   #3
BHPian

re: Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review

Let's briefly consider the characteristics of Red Rascal.

Let's get those pesky "eccentricities" out of the way.
One of the quirks of this Transmission is that the clutch is quite sensitive whilst shifting from 1st to 2nd, one has to release the clutch in a particular manner to eliminate shift shock. (I am only recently back to driving a SCHTICK shift so please take my considerations with a bucket of salt.)
The foot pedals are set quite high while this is not much of a problem for me in my day to day driving this is a major hindrance when utilizing the cruise control function when the speed is set and you are cruising, the pedal angle is too high to lightly rest your feet over the brake pedal in anticipation of "smartasses" on the highways. While resting your feet on the floor, a certain latency will be present whilst lifting your feet to apply the brakes. This could have been eliminated if the pedals were set a little lower.
Swapped indicator and wiper control stalks, at the risk of repeating what's been previously stated on these forums I shall go on to write "not only do the reversed orientation cause some initial confusion it is also quite hazardous as one cannot operate the indicators or the HighBeam-flasher whilst operating the transmission."
Yet to confirm if this a "feature" or flaw but, when the 1st gear has been engaged and you twist the get to start if the clutch pedal is not depressed then the car will jump forward. I have seen some cars that are will not crank if a gear has been engaged. Quite a disappointment if there is truly no auto-cut-off. On the same matter, the car takes more than usual time to kill the engine once the key is removed, it is possible to have the key removed from the ignition and in your hand yet if you let go of the clutch the car will jump forward.
The Govt. mandated 80 and 120Kmph beep has been the undefeated champion for the top spot of annoyances. The VW designer/engineer shall receive a high5 to the face with a cake for displaying the digits 80 post 80kmph from my side.
(I am looking for solutions to rectify this immediately.)

F-U-N-T-O-D-R-I-V-E
The top spot of my must-haves out of a car and boy does this car fail to disappoint. I am well aware that other cars are fun to drive as well but this car fits my definition of fun to drive aptly thus, the best in class for me. The tautness of the steering wheel, the sensitive but smooth clutch, and the rev-happy nature of the TSI imbibe a feeling of Pure Glee whenever I drive the car be it for commuting or for pleasure. While other cars are also capable I don't think I would have been this happy with any other car in my parking.
I don't have much-varied driving experience but amongst the cars that I have driven over an extended period, this has been the most confidence-inspiring handler, this car just urges you to push it, I was constantly backing off whenever I thought the limit was close. Only when pushing it more to find the real limitations did I realize that I was previously backing off near the limit of our Hyundai Creta that I had become so familiar with. Boy-O-Boy I giggle in joy whenever I have a hoon session. Every time you close a gap in traffic with this pocket rocket a smile shall be forced even upon the most cantankerous of persons, the 2nd gear is rather tall and can quite easily breach city speed limits and this is quite addictive(At this point in time my wallet would like to voice its concerns). Push it past 4thou RPM and the teeny-tiny 1.0TSI will begin to play the sound of its people, there are mixed opinions about the existing exhaust note but I quite like it.

The existing capabilities are already quite enthralling I cannot even dream what the car will be able to do once the warranty gets over and I begin tweaking with power and the handling outputs.

The Interior
Quite honestly it is neither interesting nor boring, I am reasonably satisfied with the design and layout. Yes it is a 10-year-old design yes VW has been extremely lazy with facelifts yes they have not progressed with the times in a manner the competition has but, that's quite alright in my books. Despite being a 10-year-old design it new to me, yes they are lazy but their long-lasting nature is any day better than Marutis refreshed but poor product life(Related thread here.)
Coming to Backseat space or the lack thereof, it is sufficient for my use and if I need to seat more than 3 passengers I shall just have to adjust my driving position to accommodate the 4th passenger. There are very few instances where I shall have to accommodate more than 2 passengers so the backseat space is not a major concern.

The "Log kya kahenge" portion (Exterior)
In my eyes, this is the best-looking iteration of 6R polo, save for the headlights, the poverty spec foglights, and the fake diffuser I regard this as the most handsome looking polo sold globally. I don't care much for the facelifted Polo sold in the EU markets(Exterior only, the interior in comparison is worth dying for.) so in my books, the non-updated polo sold in India turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Currently, I only plan to dechrome the car and blackout certain bits and bobs around the RASCAL.
Down the line, I don't have many plans for changing the exterior looks of the car save for maybe adding a spoiler, a cutout for the exhaust tips when I get one, maybe-maybe the alloy wheels.
Those Ol'Skool simplistic straight lines design just gets it going for me, it makes me look back after parking without fail at every such instance.

Let's get to the issues I have faced with Red Rascal in particular.
There was a prominent clicking noise being exuded from the steering wheel while it was being rotated, upon further inspection by the service team it was determined that one of the springs in the airbag unit was slipping causing the noise, being a new car the service center folks agreed that an Airbag unit replacement was a better solution than just padding the spring to cover up the noise. Lo and behold after waiting for about a week for the replacement to arrive the noise has been eliminated.
I am unsure of the operation of the mirror folding function as I usually twist the switch after I cut the ignition and open the door, it has been flaky on me, sometimes it folds despite the ignition being cut but mostly it does not. However, it works well when the ignition is on. (Will have to be highlighted in the 1500Kms service.)
Unsure whether it is a feature or flaw but the air recirculation shifts from cabin-only mode (but it indicates that the car is in recirculation mode) to allow outside air mode on its own, it is quite bothersome when traveling through places that have a "special odor". (Also to be highlighted in the 1500Kms service.)
After completing a solo 760Kms journey I noticed a slight left pull during the last 150-200Kms of the journey, I beseech the AutomotivceOverlords that it only be a case of "alignment being out of wack" and not a bent rim. (Also to be highlighted in the 1500Kms service.)

Not to say it doesn't have its fair share of quirks, it is just so easy to forget those when one is behind the wheel of the car.

P.S. I fully intend to keep updating this thread in order to make it to the Long-Term Ownership threads. Although I will state up front that as long as my warranty is intact(i.e. 4 years) this thread will mainly consist of Travelogues and scheduled servicing & maintenance.

Last edited by KA19Rao : 23rd March 2021 at 17:30.
KA19Rao is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:34   #4
BHPian

The initial days and the first road trip.

Backstory

The driving factor behind my parents in deciding to give me a car is unsurprisingly the result of the Covid-19 pandemic. While I live in Mangaluru my college is in Pune, with regards to attending college I had two choices for traveling between these cities.
  1. Take a 12+ hour KSRTC bus.
  2. Be forced to a flight a layover in Bengaluru. (6+ hours)
So driving up and down seemed like the safest option at the time. However, I am in my final semester so I would only have to do this trip once.

Since receiving Red Rascal on the 1st March and leaving for Pune on the 14th March, I had managed to rack up 450~ Kms. I was prepared to leave for Pune at any after getting the delivery, but certain scheduling and planning prevented me from leaving before the 14th. For starters, I had not received my confirmation of Registration from the RTO until the 9th, other scheduling conflicts threw some more spanners into the works and I was prepared to leave on the 13th, on the 12th I received an update from the dealership that the HSRP would arrive on the 13th and that the airbag replacement part had also arrived, so the drive was pushed by another day.

The road trip was supposed to be completed within one day and with the help of another driver. However, the KA govt. was mandating an RTPCR test to those exiting MH in order to be let back into the KA border. The lack of available drivers and the mandated RTPCR test made us reconsider the plan, it was decided that under one condition of stopping over in Belgaum I would tackle this Roadtrip SOLO. I readily agreed as it was my intention to drive the whole trip Solo with or without a chauffeur.

My First Solo Road Trip

The planning of the trip began the moment my parents uttered "You may go to Pune alone." I quickly opened up google maps and started charting my options.

Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-man_pun_full.jpg
Total distance to be covered.

Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-man_bel-2.jpg
Distance covered on the first day.

Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-bel_pune.jpg
Distance covered on the last day.

Since the car would be in its break-in period I was quite concerned about doing a 750KMS road-trip as the manual only mentions that "Please refrain from crossing 2/3rds the engine Speeds during the 1st 1000Kms (<4000RPM)." DBhpian Jeroen put my concerns to ease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Check your owner manual and adhere to whatever it says.

The fluctuation of engine speed is mostly a carryover from the old times too, when we still had carburetors and bigger tolerance on the engine components and also different materials.

The idea of fluctuating your speed would then accomplish different things:

it was to introduce a high pressure under acceleration to press the rings harder against the wall (due to cylinder pressure behind the top two rings), but not too long, as the cutting action would get the rings very hot in a hurry. The follow-up with a long coast did as stated: sucked a fair bit of oil up past the rings to lubricate the upper cylinder better and also give the rings time under lighter load to cool off from the preceding hard run.

Modern technique and materials and in particular also modern honing technique mean piston rings are just about perfect fit from brand new on!

As these engines had much larger tolerances there was an actual difference in the top dead center of the piston under high RPMs, compared to low. The connecting rod essentially stretched a bit. The idea was to vary the speed, thus the RPMs’ to avoid getting a ridge in the cylinder.

However, with modern engines, all of the above is rarely relevant anymore. So just follow what your owner manual tells you to do and worry about nothing else.

Enjoy your new car and your first long drive!

Jeroen
First leg of the Journey.
As is the norm with any road-trip I was in bed super early the night before and unnecessarily early to wake up the day-of brimmed with excitement, especially since this would be my first trip solo over the distance of 100KMs. It's not that I haven't driven such distances alone it's just that I have never done it Solo-solo. Did my early morning routine, fed the cats, checked and loaded my bags, checked that the music was downloaded, and finally checked the PSI before starting.

I started off from my house at about 8:30 AM, set the cruise at about 100Kmph in 6th, blasting some English and Hindi bangers, made a few calls on the way for some company, and was just generally chilling. At about the arrow in red(2nd Map) from my first day's journey I had to turn off the National Highways and take a detour, it was at this moment my data and my google maps decided to play a royal prank on me, I lost both network coverage and from some weird reason my GPS signal as well, and if that wasn't enough google maps decided that I had lost route privileges and erased the blue markers on the map that indicate the route.
I had chanced upon a nice twisty piece of tarmac and was well into my hoon session when I realized that I had been "Pranked". I decided to keep going forward until a deviation and then ask someone for the way. On par with the luck I had, I came upon a T junction with no one in sight, decided to take a left, and keep going until I could ask someone, luckily just 200m~ in I saw a signboard which pointed to Belgaum in the opposite direction so I made a U-turn and headed back hoping to get my network coverage back. At about 1:30 PM I decided to stop over on the side of the road and finish the Sammiches that I had packed this was followed up with a dessert by way a small ghat section.

After the Twistys, I briefly received some network and GPS and the Maps came back on, it was here when it suggested that an alternate route which was about 45 mins shorter was available, and unbeknownst to me, it had switched to that route.

I had logged into the MyVolkwagen App on my father's phone before leaving for the trip, this provided some more assurance to my safety back home, unfortunately when I lost signal on my phone the Jio based dongle in the car too lost its signal. However, before indicating that the signal was lost it dropped a notification that said: "Engine Switched off" this was quite disconcerting back home but my father then opened Google maps on my last location and saw in satellite view that densely populated vegetation was covering the roads and guessed that all was well and it was just a case of poor network coverage.

I stopped over at the side of the road when I got my network back and called home to put them at ease. Not 10 minutes after I began the same "Prank" was pulled upon me, with my phone and the map along with it proving to be absolutely incompetent I had to rummage through my luggage to find my laptop which luckily had the route plan opened from my previous day's recce. This too was not fully useful as it just had the route plan but beggars can't be choosers so I had to guess where I was and deduce my options. I said "YOLO" and just kept going, decided to follow the road until I reached a point where I could ask someone or till the maps would come back up. The good news is the latter happened (at about the second red marker on map 2), the bad news is it had changed the route.
I threw a major fit when I saw the roads google map had charted for me, I had to suffer for about 10KMs of bad roads and about 10KMs of no road, right when I was about to tilt I saw up ahead that my struggle was rewarded with about 35KMs of pure driving bliss by way of a 6 Lane highway with an unobstructed line of sight stretching for kilometers all the way till Belgaum.

About 5KMs remaining to the accommodation I had booked my car threw up the Fuel Reserve Light, anticipating an early and more importantly a no stop journey for the following day I decided to fill up the tank before going to the accommodation. I had located a Shell outlet in my previous day's research and made a bee-line to it soon after the light came on.
On par with my luck, the parking at the accommodation was occupied and I had to park in nearby pay and park who had a tie-up with the hotel.
Checked into my accommodation by about 4:40 PM.

Second leg of the journey.

Repeated the same sleep charade, got prepared, had the comp. breakfast, went to check that the car, thanked the car gods as all the wheels were still attached to the car, checked the PSI again, and started from Belgaum at about 8:30 AM.
During my stay in Belgaum, I made sure I had as many navigation apps open on all my devices. This included Google Maps and Apple Maps on my phone, Google Maps on my spare phone, and finally Google Maps and Microsoft Maps on my laptop, I jokingly told myself that if I got lost despite this I would turn and head back home. Luckily about 90% of the driving to Pune was on National Highways and I only momentarily lost GPS signals.
On the way to Pune Red Rascal crossed the 1000 KMs milestone and was ready to rip, I slowed my pace down to about 60 Kmph and floored it, every time the car crossed the 5500Rpm I was giggling like a baby, this carried on till I saw the car display my fuel consumption as 10.2 Kmpl, realizing that I wished to reach Pune in one tank of fuel I set the cruise back to 119Kmph and continued bombing down the highway. Save for making a few calls I did not stop anywhere. I reached Pune by 12:30 PM and was back home in Viman Nagar by 1:15 PM.

My biggest learning from this Solo journey has been that, it is highly advisable to travel with an alternative mapping option, be it another phone with a sim network from a different carrier or GPS integrated into the vehicle's ICE or other standalone navigation systems such as map my India. This is especially true when traveling solo or when traveling on unknown roads.

P.S. Please excuse the lack of photos as I was traveling alone I did not want to risk getting out of the car on the highways. I had planned to extract footage from my dashcam but I could not access them in Belgaum so I just gave up on that effort.

Last edited by KA19Rao : 23rd March 2021 at 17:31.
KA19Rao is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 16:13   #5
BHPian

One month Anniversary

One month Anniversary

One fine morning exactly a month after I got the car, the car got a kiss on its posterior. I was on my way to the office and as per regular Pune standards was stuck in THICK(Meant to describe both the traffic and the people causing such traffic) traffic. The lights turned green and off I went, barely crossed 50 meters and there was traffic again, so I gradually came to a halt and then WHAM!!!. Deep sigh, shouted the expletives, found a place to park on the side of the road, and got down to assess the damage and the reason for the damage.
Reason for the Damage: An overloaded Autorickshaw with 11 occupants, and no not kids or young adults but 11 fully grown adults. One look at the auto and it was clear that overloading made the brakes as good as jelly and no way could it have stopped on time and I am quite sure the driver was on his phone as well. Had a friendly chat(SIKE ) with the dude, I realized what's done is done and whatever I was doing was only making me late for the office, I decided to head off.
The Damage
The LHS Taillight was shattered and the bumper was pushed in, which has caused the paint to crack a little and there are some blemishes. End result is that it will need a respray. One of the clips on the bumper had popped off and I just pushed it back in and thankfully heard it click back into place.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-lhd-tl-broken.jpg

Hats off to the sturdiness of the bumper as it left quite a nasty dent on the auto (Bottom Left in Image) but did not deform or dent itself.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-auto-damage.jpeg
Damage to the wallet so far has been about INR 6700/- for a replacement Taillight, but a reputed body shop has quoted another 5K/- for re-spray and other works.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-lhd-tl-broken-2.jpg

Last edited by KA19Rao : 25th July 2021 at 19:59.
KA19Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 17:08   #6
BHPian

1st Service 1500KMS or 1 month.

1st Service, 2nd April 2021

Thanks to the Kiss I got on 1st April I decided to request leave from the office on the 2nd and go get both the service and repair for the damage. I had taken an appointment for service for the weekend (4th Apr) but it was quite painful and embarrassing for me to see my car in that state so I decided to prepone. (It looked like it lost a fight against a telephone pole.)
Service at B.U. Bhandari Pune: As I said earlier I had an appointment slot booked for Sunday, it was quite irritating to book one. I had to explain to multiple personnel that I owned a Polo and it was due for its 1st Free service and that I had not bought the car from Pune and that I was here only for the 1st Service etc. etc. and at each stage, I was repeatedly asked for details like Name and Phone No., Reg. No., Place of purchase, whether it was my first visit to their showroom, and so on. Anyway since I had to use their services only once(or so I thought) I put up with it. On 1st, right after the Kiss I called up the SA appointed to me and told him updated him on the situation and requested him to accommodate me on the 2nd itself, after some persuasion he agreed, and off I went.
Soon as I reached there at about 11 AM I was initially amazed at how big their facilities were especially compared to the one back home, I was given a spot to park and I headed inside to meet the SA. He told me he had some work and directed me towards the inventory agent to check if they had the 2020 polo taillight in stock, the agent requested my VIN no. and checked on ETKA if the part was in stock. Pleasantly informed that the part was in stock I called up the SA and told him what I wanted to be done.
  1. 1st Swagath Service
  2. Replace the LHD taillight
  3. Check and fix the alignment: There was/still is a noticeable pull towards the left while driving and the steering is left at dead center.
  4. Check and fix the A/C: The A/C air recirculation would show car-only mode but I was rudely made aware of any sewage/drainage areas I would be passing.
I was informed that I would get the car at about 4:30 PM the same day so my friend and I decided to get some lunch and do some general goofing off. We went and got his car washed, had lunch, and since my friend was looking to upgrade from his A4 we dropped by at the Audi dealership to test drive the A6.
After all this kitapati, we headed back to VW and waited for the car wash to conclude, I was greeted by my car's regular look, and I finally breathed a sigh of relief. I was informed by the SA that the first service was completed and the Taillight was replaced.
As for the other matters, I was informed that they were fixed when they checked the car by connecting it via the OBD port. I told them that I can understand if it was some error with regards to software for the A/C but how am I expected to believe that the Alignment was also fixed electronically, to which they replied "Sir, in these modern cars all things are controlled by electronics." Such an answer to my questions made me realize that it was all the work I could expect out of them and that I shall have to come back to Mangaluru to get these problems fixed. While paying for the bill I remembered that my SA in m'lore told me to ask for the Swagath Car Care Kit. He also informed me that the bill for 1st Free service would be sent by VW Pune to VW Mangaluru and so I should not forget to ask for the Kit as it will be billed regardless of whether I receive the Kit or not.

My key takeaway from this whole ordeal has been that "It is funny how life bites you in the ass."
The deciding factor to me going the new car route has been that it will be more reliable and that I will not have to be put in an embarrassing situation of asking for leave from my seniors to get my vehicle repaired. But lo and behold at exactly a month into ownership I had to go through the same.
Granted that it could have been avoided as it wasn't a pressing concern but rationality went out the window when something that I hold near and dear got hurt.

Last edited by KA19Rao : 25th July 2021 at 20:01.
KA19Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 17:46   #7
BHPian

April 2021 the month that keeps on giving.

Around mid-April (14th I think) state of MH went into lockdown, and my office runs in the rascal were drastically reduced, save for the occasional start-up, it saw no driving after that day until the 26th.

Cut to 26th April afternoon. It was a typical day, nothing out of the ordinary, I got in my car and twisted the key, it cranked up without effort, I waited for the revs to go down after a cold start like I always do, and headed off. Finished the grocery run, and was pulling into the basement I hear a *Beep* and my heart sank like the titanic.
And barely 250 Kms after the first service the infamous check engine light pops up on my dash.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-cel-26-apr.jpg
I park the car and switch it off, I don't know what to make of it, I was not shown symptoms that might lead to this. I decided to let the car cool down and try later. Meanwhile, I called up my SA back home and narrated the incident, he asked me to leave it for the day and try it tomorrow. He suspected it might be an issue with the battery, or maybe if there were contaminants in the fuel which would have deposited at the bottom of the tank owing to not using the car for a long time. I heeded his advice and I kept put for the day.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-cel-1.jpg
Called up BU Bhandari again and asked for an appointment to which they said 11th June is the earliest one. Was not in a position to try and get a sooner date as it was lockdown times.

It took almost a month of starting up my car once in three days for the MyVolkswagen dongle to finally wake up and realise that there is a CEL, and I got this message.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-app.-11th-may.png

Called again on the 10th of June to confirm my appointment and to ask how long it would take to get it checked and that I had a long trip planned for the 15th of June, to which the SA replied it will be done on the same day and that it will only take a few minutes to hook up diagnostics and run a scan.

Cut to the next day, I arrive at the agreed-upon time and the SA is a no show. Made to wait for 45 mins before he introduces himself (classic VW), and like a newborn baby his first words were "Sir you will have to leave the car with us for 4 days at the least". At this point, I was raging inside and was seriously contemplating driving back to Mangalore with the CEL. Sense prevailed and I calmly explained the situation: "I am finishing my college and I am packing up and getting the heck out of dodge on the 15th of June so I am not in a position to leave the car with you for more than TODAY."
Was made to wait another half hour while he "arranges something". *SIGH*

Finally, after another 15 someone comes to my rescue and hooks up the computer and runs a scan. Which shows:
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-cel-scan-final.jpeg

The SA then tell me that the aftermarket lights that have been installed are causing the CEL I was baffled. I asked him to explain the relationship between the P2188 (Engine running rich) and my headlights. To which some other stupid answer was said. The SA proceeded to take pictures of my engine bay and advised that I remove the headlights immediately.
Meanwhile, I send a picture of the scan to my SA back home and ask if it's safe to travel. He asked me to get the code cleared and drive it around for a day to see if CEL pops up again, and that if it did not it was most probably the low battery voltage that confused the fuel pumps to send a CEL.

Convinced with the above possibility I decided to risk it and go YOLO, luckily it paid out and the CEL did not reappear. After I reached back I immediately went to VW Mangalore and asked them to run the scan, and thankfully no errors popped up.

Last edited by KA19Rao : 2nd March 2022 at 11:28.
KA19Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 15:44   #8
BHPian

Racking on the Kilometers and Ceramic Coating

Coming back home.
15th June was the last date of possession my roommate and I had promised the landlord. And so it began, we said our byes to the house that took care of us for 4 years and proceeded to move our stuff from the house into our cars, The car loaded enough to give us a preview of how it will sit once the warranty runs out and I get lowering springs installed.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-tata-pune-.png
Our Friend with an Audi A4, my Roommate with an EcoSport and yours truly headed out early in the morning of July 15th. We had booked an overnight stay at Dharwad and from there we would go our separate ways i.e., our friend in the A4 to Bengaluru, my roommate in the EcoSport to Mysuru and me to Mangaluru.

Long Term Internship at a Law Firm in Bengaluru
From July 15th Red rascal saw a lot of Mangaluru-Bengaluru to and fro drives and the 30km 5 days a week commute to the office put up a lot of the Kilometers.
While in Bengaluru I stayed with my cousins and this entailed a lot of road trips with them to places like Goa, Chitradurga, Mysuru and to some other places around Bengaluru.

Ceramic Coating
The car was filthy from the rains and the dusty/muddy and to forget terrible roads from my drive to Bengaluru. So I decided to get the car washed, having only got my car washed from reputed places I decided to go one of the well-rated detailers. Found a place that had good ratings on google, and from the pictures, it appeared that the people knew what they were
doing. At this time I was new to the detailing scene in Bengaluru and was mere moments away from suffering a stroke after looking at my car. The swirl marks on the car would have been visible from the ISS (ok slight exaggeration), the wheels were still caked with brake dust, the engine bay was not water-washed and still filthy and thankfully I stopped someone from applying some sort of "dressing" on it. When I asked the proprietor what in the name of hell has been done to my car, to which he claimed that such mishaps are to be expected when the car is given for a wash on a Sunday afternoon, then he proceeded to demand 700 for the job well done. *DEEP SIGH* Whatever damage to be done was done and nothing could be done to reverse it. Paid the man and decided that going forwards someone has to personally recommend a detailer before they get my business.

The next time I came to Mangaluru I was here for a couple of days and so I decided to get my car Ceramic Coated by our trusted detailer, literally a stone's throw away from my house. Decided to get the read bumper repainted as it had a few chinks from its bump with the auto and when ahead with whatever type of ceramic coating that he recommended. Cut to about 3 days Red Rascal is back in form and glistening.
It is here that I found out some true horror stories of various detailers in Bengaluru. After that, I got my car washed only at places that were recommended by either my detailer or my friends.

Last edited by KA19Rao : 2nd March 2022 at 11:35.
KA19Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 16:23   #9
BHPian

Its only Just Begun

The city that just keeps on giving.
Finished the Long-term internship on Jan 15th headed back, as a parting gift the city of Bengaluru (Nice-Road under construction) gave me a stone chip which further developed into a massive crack. I profusely "Thanked" the management of Nandi Infra and Corridors (NICE) and the city for letting me off easy and made my way back home.

Trip to Coorg
My mother and her Mysuru friends were having a get together in Coorg and she needed some Bakra(a.k.a me) to drop her to Coorg from Mangaluru. I was excited about the opportunity to go for a drive and was ready to SLAY the ghats on the way back. And SLAY I did, on my way back after the ghat section I arrived at the town of Sullia(about 80Kms from Mangaluru), there was some traffic at the time so I slowed down, the music as always was blasting away and I felt a difference in the braking and the brake pedal so I turned down the tunes and depressed the brake and just like that I was also depressed. The sound the brakes did when I depressed the brake pedal is the same sound my heart did. Found a relatively safe place to park on the side of the road and got down to check.
And it was quite clear as VW's cost-cutting policies that the left side brake pads have completely perished and it was brake pad metal to rotor metal contact. Whereas the right side pads still had some decent life. *DEEEEEEEEP SIGH*
Front Left
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-front-left.jpeg
Front Left Close Up
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-front-left-clear.jpeg
Front Right
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-front-right.jpeg
Front Right Close Up
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-front-right-clear.jpeg
Front Left Alloy caked in brake dust. (It was squeaky clean before the drive as it was just washed.)
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-left-wheel.jpeg

Called up my SA and explained the situation, and he gave me the VW RSA number and advise that I get it towed. Okay. So I first mentally prepare myself to face disappointment and incompetence and then call VW RSA and to my complete surprise I was more than happy with the response I got, it seems like VW has budgeted quite a bit towards its RSA services(This is both good and bad). The call was promptly picked up and within 10 minutes I had a flatbed coming from Mangaluru. I was also offered a cab to bring me back home(which I declined).

The Truck arrived 30 mins later than promised but at that point, I was just happy it arrived.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-faltbedded.jpeg
Got the car loaded onto it and I decided to sit in the car as opposed to sitting in between 2 unmasked strangers, and boy oh boy it was the ride of a lifetime, the car was strapped down firmly therefore it had less than 50% of suspension travel, I felt every bump on the road and by the time I reached home my back was tortured like POW from medieval times but I loved every singly moment of that unique experience.
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-bed.jpeg
Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review-bed-too.jpeg
Kindly excuse the poor pictures, I have a potato phone and it suffers from nighttime blindness.

The BIG BILL or so I thought
I was fully aware that there is a better chance that VW will sell the facelifted Polo in India before they replace the brakes for premature wear. So I decided since my car is going to be out of commission for a few days might as well get the cracked windshield replaced with insurance money and since it was nearing its 1st Anniversary might as well get the car serviced.

Surprisingly the cost of replacing the front brake pads along with the annual service and the 1.5k deficit to be paid for the insurance claim the total billing was only 9k.

Happy Birthday Red Rascal
Total Expenses so far: ~1.72L (Inclusive of Fuel, Insurance, Service, Repairs, and modifications/accessories)(Excluding Toll/fastag)

Last edited by KA19Rao : 2nd March 2022 at 11:51.
KA19Rao is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:35   #11
BHPian

Re: Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA19Rao View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce all of you to my first car dubbed Red Rascal. Born sometime in the last week of February 2021, Red Rascal is a Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI MT Highline+. It was delivered to me on the 1st of March 2021.

After a 4-month long car hunting ritual, I finally brought home Red Rascal.
Attachment 2133607
As per the TeamBHP customs:
Pros:
  • The powerhouse of a 1.0 TSI and the smooth(ish) 6MT gearbox.
  • The ability to give gapplebees in traffic.
  • The Build to last philosophy. (Got me eating my words so far)
  • The Sticky handling.
  • The Economy.
Cons:
  • The most annoying one is the exclusion of keyless entry.
  • Brutal Cost-cutting (Headlamp unit/headlight, horn, no padding on door cards, dismal lighting in-cabin and no lighting in boot).
  • The MID is useless after 80 KMPH.
  • I have already visited the service centre more than 5 times in less than 6 months. And I am still not done.(Tho not always for mechanical issues)
  • The Economy.

Congratulations on your polo, I am sure it's a great drive, especially on the highway, I'm also seeing good FE numbers being reported.
For the 80kmph thing, I would suggest getting the speed alarm removed, I got it done too.

https://instagram.com/drcodemyvw?utm_medium=copy_link

This is the person I got in touch with, he does remotely too, the MID does come back to life.

Cheers!!
dhruvritzed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Getting Red Rascal Home | My 2021 VW Polo Highline+ TSI MT | Ownership Review

Quote:
Congrats KA19Rao on your latest acquisition...Your "Red Rascal" truly looks Ravishing buddy

Outdated - Yes, Overdue - Yes, Our-kitted - Yes.....Out-gunned - Nothing can even today!

Wish you many more happy mile munching in your RR and safe motoring.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 16:28   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on your First Purchase. I don't know why your SA didn't told you about Highline Plus AT. I purchased Polo Highline+ AT in March 21 and as per my VIN it's Feb 21 Manufactured, same as yours one. Even so many Bhpians purchased the Highline+ AT in subsequent months.

Last edited by MayurS : 4th March 2022 at 16:32.
MayurS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 01:03   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on your car and it was nice to read about a plethora of updates and experiences that you have shared since you got the Red Rascal. Sorry to hear about your brake pads exhibiting uneven wear and leaving you stranded on the road during your trip. While I do agree, that there is a healthy amount of cost cutting (Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic) that I've seen in this car since I own one myself, an uneven brake pad wear however is not a sign of cost cutting in my experience. It has a lot to do with the brake calliper pin being poorly greased or stuck up causing uneven wear on one side. This is not something that should be the case in a new car. Quite a lot of fellow Polo owners I know who are running the stock brake pads have practically had no premature wear. In fact, the stock OEM Brake pads made by TVS Girling have lasted them as long as 40-50k kms.

So, it would be a good idea to have the calliper pins greased and inspected by your dealership, since this is one aspect that I've not seen them touch at all, unless you're replacing the calliper carrier entirely. You can read more about this here.

Unlike other car-makers like Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai, to the best of my knowledge from what I've seen and spoken about with service advisors, VW is not into the routine greasing of the brake calliper pins, since they use a high quality silicone grease during assembly, which should usually last a long time. Please have this inspected, otherwise you might experience a similar issue again in the near future.

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 5th March 2022 at 01:04.
fluidicjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 07:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pros:
  • The Economy.

Cons:
  • The Economy.
Turbo petrol engine in a nutshell

Surprising to see the initial review to be so eventful, hopefully it gets better.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed