Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 23:58   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
After all the muck Fortuner accumulated, needed a wash. Here is a post wash picture.

Attachment 2191010
Noticed something interesting , have you changed the Toyota logos both at the front and back? They look similar to the ones Toyota sells in International markets with the radar unit for the Toyota Safety Sense built into it.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 00:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Noticed something interesting , have you changed the Toyota logos both at the front and back? They look similar to the ones Toyota sells in International markets with the radar unit for the Toyota Safety Sense built into it.
You have eagle eyes . Yes the logos are changed to ones similar to safety sense one's. Rear stock logo was pain to clean, this ones much easier. The front one is more of aesthetics as stock one doesnot get too dirty but new ones help to some extent.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 22:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

10000KM update

Completed 10K service which included oil and oil filter change. Also repaired windshield washer pipe which was cut by rat. Service was good as usual and was delivered as committed. While covering 10K KM have refilled AdBlue twice, 7L first then 5L. During service no AdBlue was filled. Total bill came to 4488 as no labour charges for this service.

As for Fortuner, it's a mile muncher. Fuel efficiency on highway averages at about 12KMPL mainly because I have to do ghat driving and in city its around 9-10KMPL. Suspension has settled down for sure, early days car would unsettle more, now it's lot more supple and probably i have also got used to characteristics of car. The engine and gearbox is a gem, 4 lane highways and cruising at 3 digit speeds is effortless. I drive mostly in normal mode but shift to Sport mode frequently on highways. Once you get a hang of paddles, it can be fun and engaging.

As for negatives, solitary USB port is insufficient, space to keep knick knacks in front too could have been better. Roof liner feels pretty ordinary and Innova ZX variants roof lighting would have been nice.

That said one of the most underrated feature is knee support for driver and passenger. After getting used in Fortuner I miss this in my other cars. Also I have started exploring places which in a 4x2 I would not have been confident.

Few pictures from recent drive
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20210919_134625.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20210919_160309.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20210919_131040.jpg  

PrideRed is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 14:36   #64

Great review! Love how much you are enjoying your Fortuner.

I have an Isuzu VCross 4x4 AT. I love driving too, both highway and to remote rural places. The Isuzu has been wonderful.

Planning to get an SUV to add to my fun pickup.

Fortuner has always been my favorite. But then, recently I saw the Volvo XC90 and thought it probably would be something that my wife would love. And by Jupiter, the price is close to Rs. 1Cr! [For a car that sells for $55K (45L) in the US], spending that much for an SUV which I probably can't drive on remote rural roads seems too much! Sorry, I couldn't help compare because, I lived many years in the US, and even now live part of the time in the US!

So, yes, the XC90 is more luxurious than the Fortuner, but other than that, I am now convincing myself that the Fortuner 4x4 AT will be a mostly comfortable car and perfect for the wanderer in me, and still good for my wife to go out if we hire a driver to drive her around.

Sorry, I am probably all over the place. I will finish with a question: I see that the Fortuner does not come with a rear view camera/display. Is it possible to get a third party rear view display installed, that integrates well with the Fortuner dash?

And, what do you think of my dilemma of Fortuner vs XC90 ?

Thank you
RedShiftEuropa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 15:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShiftEuropa View Post
Great review! Love how much you are enjoying your Fortuner.

I have an Isuzu VCross 4x4 AT. I love driving too, both highway and to remote rural places. The Isuzu has been wonderful.

Planning to get an SUV to add to my fun pickup.

Fortuner has always been my favorite. But then, recently I saw the Volvo XC90 and thought it probably would be something that my wife would love. And by Jupiter, the price is close to Rs. 1Cr! [For a car that sells for $55K (45L) in the US], spending that much for an SUV which I probably can't drive on remote rural roads seems too much! Sorry, I couldn't help compare because, I lived many years in the US, and even now live part of the time in the US!

So, yes, the XC90 is more luxurious than the Fortuner, but other than that, I am now convincing myself that the Fortuner 4x4 AT will be a mostly comfortable car and perfect for the wanderer in me, and still good for my wife to go out if we hire a driver to drive her around.

Sorry, I am probably all over the place. I will finish with a question: I see that the Fortuner does not come with a rear view camera/display. Is it possible to get a third party rear view display installed, that integrates well with the Fortuner dash?

And, what do you think of my dilemma of Fortuner vs XC90 ?

Thank you
Well, you get two Fortuners for the price of XC90 and 5-6 year down the lane(provided ICE is not banned), a Fortuner and XC90 will fetch same resale or may be small difference. Money matters aside, if you liked luxury/feature of XC90, then Fortuner will disappoint you. Recently I had to experience some of the Bimmer/Merc and clearly the expensive one's are far more luxurious. At the same time, depreciation as you climb up the ladder is huge.

Coming to capabilities, I take lot of care when taking Fortuner offroad as I know parts can be expensive but in a XC90 I would not dare to take offroad or even off beaten path. Since you drive VCross, you can expect similar/or better comfort in Fortuner, I had test driven VCross about 3 years ago and have some idea on what this true blue pickup truck is.

If you looking for a car for touring, discover places or see a quaint little village/go for an unplanned excursion and at the same time want it to be your daily driver without being a garage queen/munch miles like no business, then it has to be Fortuner. If you are looking to get pampered inside the car, need better comfort and features, go for XC90.

As for rear view camera, I am assuming you are referring to reverse camera and Fortuner does come with one from Factory. 2021 Fortuner got good upgrades at a cost and has decent kit. At same time misses some feature like TPMS, Sunroof, wireless stuff, larger displays etc.

Last edited by PrideRed : 24th September 2021 at 15:48.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 17:49   #66

Quote:
Well, you get two Fortuners for the price of XC90 and 5-6 year down the lane(provided ICE is not banned), a Fortuner and XC90 will fetch same resale or may be small difference. Money matters aside, if you liked luxury/feature of XC90, then Fortuner will disappoint you. Recently I had to experience some of the Bimmer/Merc and clearly the expensive one's are far more luxurious. At the same time, depreciation as you climb up the ladder is huge.
I do like the luxury of the XC90, but I wouldn't be disappointed by the Fortuner I'm sure. I've owned (and driven extensively) the LX470 and GX470 and a few German vehicles (not in India), but I am still so much in love with the Isuzu DMax VCross, even though it is not a soft plush vehicle! My guess is, Fortuner could be a more softer ride than the Isuzu. But that's just a guess. I will have to test drive a Fortuner. Never driven one.

Quote:
Coming to capabilities, I take lot of care when taking Fortuner offroad as I know parts can be expensive but in a XC90 I would not dare to take offroad or even off beaten path. Since you drive VCross, you can expect similar/or better comfort in Fortuner, I had test driven VCross about 3 years ago and have some idea on what this true blue pickup truck is.

If you looking for a car for touring, discover places or see a quaint little village/go for an unplanned excursion and at the same time want it to be your daily driver without being a garage queen/munch miles like no business, then it has to be Fortuner. If you are looking to get pampered inside the car, need better comfort and features, go for XC90.
That's a perfect synopsis. Touring and discovering places is high priority for me. Fortuner looks more and more the best choice.

Quote:
As for rear view camera, I am assuming you are referring to reverse camera and Fortuner does come with one from Factory. 2021 Fortuner got good upgrades at a cost and has decent kit. At same time misses some feature like TPMS, Sunroof, wireless stuff, larger displays etc.
Yes, the reverse camera. Oh glad it comes from the factory. Somehow I thought I read somewhere that Toyota skimped on that. Sunroof would have been good, but I'm not too worried about it.

If I end up buying an SUV in the coming months, I will hope to update here!
RedShiftEuropa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 19:50   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShiftEuropa View Post
I do like the luxury of the XC90, but I wouldn't be disappointed by the Fortuner I'm sure. I've owned (and driven extensively) the LX470 and GX470 and a few German vehicles (not in India), but I am still so much in love with the Isuzu DMax VCross, even though it is not a soft plush vehicle! My guess is, Fortuner could be a more softer ride than the Isuzu. But that's just a guess. I will have to test drive a Fortuner. Never driven one.

That's a perfect synopsis. Touring and discovering places is high priority for me. Fortuner looks more and more the best choice.

If I end up buying an SUV in the coming months, I will hope to update here!
If you are happy with VCross and are used to Toyota's, Fortuner will be fine. I don't know how new VCross rides, but I find Fortuner offers better overall comfort compared to earlier VCross. Suspension especially at front is stiff but you will get used to in couple of days. 2021 has bit more softer ride too.
Endeavour was pretty good, but now with Ford gone, Fortuner should be in your list at the top if you like touring.

All the best and hope you end up with a good one soon
Old 27th October 2021, 23:10   #68
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the logos are changed to ones similar to safety sense one's. Rear stock logo was pain to clean, this ones much easier.
The rear logo looks very cool too. Where can I get these ?

Last edited by cnu : 27th October 2021 at 23:27.
cnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 08:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
The rear logo looks very cool too. Where can I get these ?
I got these from a friend who imported from Philippines. Doubt this is available locally. Might be available in Thailand too.
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

Was looking to get a decent Dashcam and was hoping to get something from US. There were changes in plan and had to drop off buying from US. Picked up DDPAI Mola N3 from Amazon. Okayish quality videos and device is compact. Have tucked in the wires and have no plans to hardwire. Number plate is visible only from shorter distance. Few pictures from dashcam.

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-20211010082727.jpg
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-g_20211009095648_5_5_l.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 20:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Post Deepavali, wanted to hit the road, managed to get a stay in South Goa. After previous drives with Innova and Endeavour, took Fortuner this time.
Road was good throughout and took about 6.5 hours to cover 360KM including few pitstops for fuel, food.
Return journey took longer because of multiple stopover, daytime traffic etc. Overall got FE of 12.2KMPL as per MID. 4x4 is such a confidence booster, let's you explore places which otherwise I would not dare to.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20211107_110437.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20211107_112813.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20211107_104945.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20211107_104557.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20211107_113202.jpg  

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th November 2021 at 20:26.
PrideRed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 20:48   #72
BHPian

What an awesome review! I am mulling over booking a 4X4 AT. Would love to talk to you and get some insights. How can I connect please?

Thanks!

Quote:
As you move on with life, your priorities change, aspirations change and so does your wants. It’s human nature to look out for better options even after possessing the best, and we do manage to convince on what is better. Long story cut short - I wanted a new ride yet again.
With COVID, the running of the car had hit a new low and I had no plans to upgrade. Towards the end of 2020, I was casually browsing OLX and found a few good deals on used cars. Every time I saw used cars in KA, the more I got convinced to buy a new one. I wasn’t serious about selling and casually asked for a swap with the 3 Series 330i. I was surprised by the price quoted for my Crysta. Few factors influenced me to push:

Last edited by Sheel : 18th November 2021 at 22:43. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 15:07   #73
BHPian

Completed 5000+ kms. The car is supremely exceeding expectations , and proving every worthy of Toyota DNAs.
Some quick likings and disliking, compared to my earlier car i.e. innova

1. Engine, pickup, grunt, gearbox just amazing, this car just accelerates and bring smile every time, and seems so much value for money for this highly priced SUV.

2. Suspensions, great to my liking, don't miss innova at all, infact feel more confident at higher speed.

3. Interior - after driving beige interior car for 11 years, I thought I will never buy black interiors, kind of beige fan. But, as famous saying, never say never, the fortuner interiors really turned around my perception. In fact interiors are growing on me every time, and looks spot on, for this car context, adequately premium, no nonsense, and most importantly supremely functional.

Dislike
Only one
1. Luggage space, as per my wife the space got reduced to 3/4 as compared to our 11 year old innova. And I agree, just like every other thing

Last edited by abhi1881 : 24th November 2021 at 15:09.
abhi1881 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 15:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
Dislike
Only one
1. Luggage space, as per my wife the space got reduced to 3/4 as compared to our 11 year old innova. And I agree, just like every other thing

Awesome and wishing you many more miles. Are you sure about luggage space? I had Innova and have Crysta too, but don't find short of space in Fortuner. Are you referring to space to keep phone/wallet etc. in front row?
Old 24th November 2021, 15:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome and wishing you many more miles. Are you sure about luggage space? I had Innova and have Crysta too, but don't find short of space in Fortuner. Are you referring to space to keep phone/wallet etc. in front row?
Thanks a lot.
Luggage space, with last 2 or even 1 seat down. We have Samsonite suitcase which used to fit with one seat down, easily in horizontal layed down position in 2010 innova.Now same, just dont fit in the same position/direction in fortuner with same 1 seat down.
Will try to take a snapshot next time I do packing.

Last edited by abhi1881 : 24th November 2021 at 15:35.
abhi1881 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed