Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:48   #1

My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro

Introduction -
I’ve been an avid team-bhp reader for the last 4-5 years. It is now a natural habit to read daily updates from the homepage every morning soon after markets open. Took the plunge recently to create an account. This is my first ownership review here. I recently purchased an Audi A6 3.0 TDI and can’t wait to share all about it with the community. I hope you enjoy this post.

What it is
It is a pre-owned 2011 A6 3.0 TDI Quattro in white colour and beige interiors.

What is so special about it
Audi A6 C7 was launched globally in 2011 (2012 in the US). Audi brought two diesel drivetrains to India
a) 2.0 TDI - 4 Cylinder, 2.0 litre engine with CVT (multi-tronic) and front wheel drive
b) 3.0 TDI – V6, 3.0 litre engine with 7 speed DSG (s-tronic) and Quattro 4 wheel drive
The 3.0 TDI produced 245 hp and 400Nm of torque. This was the more expensive, rare version that had limited discounts. You can read more about Rishi’s buying experience here (My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty).

The A6 C7 has aged very gracefully. A minor facelift (Driven: 2015 Audi A6 Matrix) was launched in 2015 with mostly bumper tweaks. Most importantly – this model continued till 2018 (launched in 2011) with very few changes. It doesn’t seem like a 10 year old car at all.

a) German build quality (my first European car)
b) Timeliness VAG design. Car has aged very gracefully – or not aged much at all.
c) Powerful diesel engine with 7 speed DSG and 4 wheel drive
d) Interiors are significantly better compared to BMW, Mercs, and A4 from the same time
e) Benefits of buying it pre-owned

Dislikes
a) Maintenance could be expensive – esp with DSG, air suspension.
b) Non-SUV ground clearance could be a deal breaker for many
c) The Audi brand is an attention catcher. Not associated with humility.
d) Beige interiors don’t age as well as black ones.
e) Underbody protection doesn’t last long (made of flimsy plastics)

With the introduction set, let’s dig in.

Why a new car?
Mom was driving a manual 2016 Tiago XE petrol. About three years ago I bought a pre-owned 2008 Corolla Altis petrol automatic for myself. I’ll compile up the ownership thread on this in a few weeks. Since then – she’s got very fond of automatic cars. It was time we bought her a beater automatic for the city.

Constraints –
1. Pre-owned (at least 5 years old)
2. Automatic/ CVT gearboxes.
Options considered – Honda City, Brio, Civic, Jazz.

The Altis had really spoilt us out of options. After driving each of these cars – the RoI seemed lower than the one on Altis. The interiors and the car build didn’t match the Altis. We were really just in love with the Altis. I then decided to give my Altis to mom and buy myself a new car.
Constraints –
1. European pre-owned automatic sedan (we’re still a sedan family)
2. Budget – Up to 10 Lakhs

Options considered (1st tranche) – Jetta, Octavia
I liked both Jetta and Octavia. Pre-owned Jettas were in the range of 8-10 Lakhs and Octavias in the range of 9-11 Lakhs. But it really didn’t feel like a big enough upgrade on Altis. I then started looking for the big three Germans.

Options considered (2nd tranche) – 3 series, A4, A6, C Class

Why Audi A6 3.0 TDI?
The BMW is no doubt, optimised for the driving experience. The interiors of BMW, C Class and A4 seemed outdated. The A6 seemed to have the best interiors among the bunch and the price did not seem too far out. Plus after many months - I was able to spot a 3.0 TDI Quattro and that sealed the deal. It seemed the best bang for the buck – coming in between 15-20 Lakhs. Bought it directly from the first owner. He seemed to have really loved the car and taken excellent care of it. There was no more waiting.

The car had done 88K kms – but I couldn’t feel much of it. The owner seemed to have really pampered her. I’ve driven about 2K kms now and am enjoying every bit of it.

More about the styling, equipment, features, build quality – is best read on the official facelift thread (Driven: 2015 Audi A6 Matrix). 2011 version is 98% of the 2015 facelift. The only additions/ changes I’ve noticed are gear knob, bumpers, head/ tail lights, boss mode button.

Few quick observations below -
1. Gearbox is quick and smooth even after 90K kms
2. Feels amazing to drive this car on highways.
3. Fuel economy of 12kmpl in city and 17 kmpl on highways.
4. NVH levels are low - favoured by acoustic glasses
5. Air suspension is a boon.
6. Haven’t yet scrapped the car on any speed breaker. Ground clearance is practical.

Here are a few pictures for your eyes -

Front view. Blends in with the latest models. Doesn't seem like a 10 year old car to me. Notice that the Indian variants do not get fog lamps. Comes with DRLs. DRLs also double up as indicators. The face lifted model has an updated bumper, headlight cluster and the grill was dipped in chrome. Also notice the rain sensor on the windshield for automatic wipers.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-1.front.jpeg

Side view. The car is long. Straight creases from the front to the back - VAG's timeless design. Wheels are 245/55 17 inch alloys. Both front and rear wheels have cladding within the arches.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-2.-side.jpeg

My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-3.-sidecloseup.jpeg

Notice the dual exhaust for the V6. They are real exhausts. Rear camera hiding above the number plate. Comes standard with 4 rear parking sensors.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-4.-rear.jpeg

Doors are heavy. They open in 3 stages. Storage space for 1l bottles is felt lined.
2 memory seat settings. Door open/ close lever is delightful to hold and operate.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-5.-frontdoor.jpeg

This is the view when you're entering the cabin. Notice the silver touches. Both front seats get electronic adjustment. Glovebox gets a lamp, 6 DVD changer, and air con vent. Glove box door opens slowly - doesn't fall down.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-6.-driver-entry.jpeg

I really love the instrument cluster. Two analog dials that are amazing to look at. There's a big color screen stuck between them. Please pardon the wiper fluid warning light.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-7.-cockpit.jpeg

I'm a big fan of volume and air con knobs. They rotate with high quality metallic satisfying clicks. I prefer them over the modern touch screen ones. Quattro badging on the dashboard. First button to the right of the air con vents is to lower the automatic rear sun shade.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-8.-dashboard.jpeg

Notice the electronic parking brake, engine start stop button. Two cup holders behind this instrument cluster.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-9.-gearknob.jpeg

Rear seats get their own air con controls and charging dock. Comes equipped with 4 zone climate control.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-10.-rear-console.jpeg

Additional rear air con vents on the B pillar. Seat belts are height adjustable.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-11.-rear-b-pillar.jpeg

Rear windows get sun shades
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-12.-rear-windows.jpeg

Rear seats with armrest. Armrest gets cup holders and storage.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-13.-rear-seats.jpeg

Sunroof console. Notice the motion sensors.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-14.-sunroof-consolde.jpeg

Boot opens electronically. Doesn't close electronically though.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-15.-boot-open.jpeg

Boot is massive. Gets lamps and 12V charging socket.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-16.-boot-interior.jpeg

Engine sits tightly in the bay. Compare this to the 2.0 TDI - with lots of empty space. Battery sits in the boot - under the spare tyre.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-18.-engine-bay.jpeg

Driving Experience
Start the engine and you'll hear the diesel clutter outside the cabin. Inside the cabin though, it is pretty silent. Press the pedal and you'll realise that it is a diesel engine. Obviously, not as rev-happy as a petrol one. At city speeds, the car is good but not fun. It does the job. Gearbox will upshift when you want it to and the engine has enough grunt to put a smile on my face. Electronic steering is very light and easy to operate at low speeds. It does get heavy at highway speeds. Suspension absorbs the potholes and overall NVH is quite contained. Ground clearance is decent - thanks to the height adjustable air suspension. I default to the highest setting and haven't faced any issues.

Take the car out on an open road and that is when you can feel the 245 horses with DSG under the hood. You won't realise you've touched triple digits. Car is doing 120 on ORR and I feel like its probably 60. DSG does its job - as you expect it to. It is the choice/ recommendation of many - for the right reasons. Drive enthusiastically and the engine delivers with the turbo spooling in, to propel you forwards. You can also move to sport mode for that extra bit where the DSG will hold the gear longer. The car sticks to the road at high speeds while straight and cornering. I'm guessing the Quattro system is to thank here. I couldn't get the launch control working. Shall spend more time on this. 4 disc brakes do their job to stop when you want them to - with a munchy bite.

I've been getting fuel economy of 12kmpl in city and 17 kmpl on highways. All in all - I'm more than happy for what I paid. It is able to consistently put a smile on my face - whether I want to hypermil to the airport or drive spiritedly or take the family out for dinner. Interiors, performance, build quality, safety, in-my-budget - it's got'em all. What more would I ask for?

Smaller yet significant things -
1. Long press the unlock button on the remote and all windows, sunroof open up to let the hot air out. Long press the lock button on the remote and all windows, sunroof close while locking the car.
2. When you go in reverse – the car automatically brings down the rear shade.
3. 4 front, 4 rear parking sensors and rear camera make it easy to drive.

Last edited by sj_car_boy : 3rd April 2021 at 17:18. Reason: correction
sj_car_boy is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:22   #2

Re: My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro

Periodic Scheduled Maintenance

The first thing I was determined to get done was a 90K kms scheduled service. I read through the user manual and plotted the scheduled service plan as below.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-service-schedule.png

Audi service centre had quoted me about 75K for the yearly scheduled service. This was out of my budget range. I ordered the parts online and took it to a very competent, experienced, trusted garage. Was present with the car throughout the service.

Important note – It is quite likely that VAG doesn’t manufacture most of the service parts themselves but have vendors that supply to them. Few German brands – Hengst, Mann, Meyle, Mahle are well known suppliers to VAG. It is quite economical to instead use their branded products (easily available). You can find part numbers and detailed guides on their websites. These brands are available in India at boodmo or Amazon. You can also look to import from amazon.de (will still workout to be significantly cheaper than Audi).

Here are the part numbers and links if anyone is interested -

Wipers – 26 inch and 21 inch (top mount)
Bosch catalogue can be found here. Their Aero Twin series comes with swappable adapters. 3397006948 (21 inch) and 3397006952 (26 inch). Ordered both of them from boodmo.

Oil Filter - VAG 059 198 405
I went with Hengst E816H D236 (available on boodmo)

Oil – VW 507 00
The manual recommends VW 507,00 spec oil. This oil is also classified as long-life by VW. This means it can last for 2 years or 15,000kms whichever is earlier. Given the low usage I’m expecting – this seemed perfect. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is the only VW 507,00 spec oil available in India (imported from France). Bought this on Amazon. The car gulped in 6.5L of it. I’ve learnt that many VAG dealers in India do not use this oil. They instead use a similar non VAG spec’d oil.

Air Filter - VAG 4G0 133 843
I went with MANN (available on Amazon). Pictures below are of the old one coming off the car.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-img_7714.jpeg
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-img_7715.jpeg

Fuel Filter – VAG 8T0 127 401
I went with MANN WK6003 (available on Amazon). Picture below is of the old one coming off the car.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-img_7717.jpeg

Cabin Filter - VAG 4H0 819 439
I went with MANN CUK 2641 (available on Amazon). This is carbon activated.
Notice the multiple brands mentioned on the cabin filter below. Probably manufactured in the same factory. Picture below is of the old one coming off the car.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-img_7718.jpeg
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-img_7719.jpeg

Total Expense (approx)
  1. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 7 litre oil - 7,000/-
  2. Oil Filter - 1,200/-
  3. Air Filter - 2,200/-
  4. Fuel Filter - 2,300/-
  5. Cabin Filter - 2,000/-
  6. Wipers - 2,000/-
  7. Labour and com update - 3,000/-
Total - 20,200/-

Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay Upgrade

Being a 2011 car – these features obviously do not exist on this car. But it can be installed. Ordered a model specific box from Alibaba and installed it myself. Took about three hours. Cost about 30K INR. Integrates seamlessly with the existing headunit. Steering mounted controls, inbuilt microphones work seamlesly. There'a dedicated button on the steering for Siri/ Google Assistant. Works like a charm.

Here’s the end result –
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-img_7872.jpeg
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-img_7873.jpeg

Youtube video explaining everything in detail.
1. Remove the air con control unit
2. Remove the DVD player unit
3. Install the wires
4. Install the wireless box behind the glovebox
5. Wrap it all up and install the AMI to AUX cable

This is what the Carplay box looks like. It comes with all the necessary cables for installation
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-carplaybox.png

Wiring diagram explaining the installation.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-carplaydiagram.png

Planned maintenance/ upgrades in the future -

Cabin filter upgrade
MANN has a more premium FP series of cabin filters that prevents allergens, moulds and particulate matter from entering the cabin. Will upgrade to this filter next year (FP 2641).
Will have to probably import this from Amazon.de.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-mannfp.png

Air suspension – The current shocks work superb and there is absolutely no leakage in them. Should there be any issue with them, I have a backup plan in place. Will have to import shocks. Should cost about 40K (all 4 tyres).

Transmission Oil Change
This is scheduled as per the manual. Please note that DSGs have two filters – one internal and one external. It is important to change both of them. Service shops in India only change the external one. The oil sump needs to be opened and cleaned too (for metal debris on the magnets). Here are the part numbers for this particular gearbox (7 speed dual clutch)
Oil – MEYLE ATF DCG II 7L (Link)
External filter – MEYLE 100 137 1004 and Internal filter – MEYLE 100 137 0003
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-dsgfilter.jpg

Engine mounts ( 4G0 199 381) and Transmission mount (8K0 399 151 AK) – Will consider this at next service. No vibrations are being felt right now – perhaps change will be required down the line.

Curtain washer (4G0955987A, 4G0955988A) – Right now the windscreen nozzle sprays three jet streams of water. Will consider this upgrading to the spray type soon.

Windshield – There are minor spots on the windscreen that disperse the light of oncoming vehicles (at night). Planning to replace with an OEM windshield from China. Should cost about 20-25K. Please do reach out to me if you’d like to order your windshield. We can split the freight.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-windshield1.jpg

Underbody – This is by far the weakest part of the whole car. All the underbody panels are made of flimsy plastic material. I am upgrading them to aluminium alloys. They are depicted in the image below. I will have to import them from China. If you’d like a set for your car, please DM me. We can split the freight. (We should consider moving to Slack/ Discord soon )

My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-underbodyfront.jpg
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-underbodyrear.jpg
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-underbodymiddle-copy.jpg

Grill Swap (4G0853651 T94)
I've also thought about swapping the grill with a chrome version to make it similar to the 2015 facelift. No decision on this yet. Let me know if you think this one looks better.
My pre-owned Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro-carimage.jpeg

That's it for now folks. Hope you enjoyed this thread. I intend to use the car for 10 years from here on and then hopefully move to a pre-owned Model 3.
Please do reply back with your questions. Happy to help out with anything.

Last edited by sj_car_boy : 2nd April 2021 at 19:19. Reason: typos
sj_car_boy is offline   (147) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 08:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 09:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing man! The A6 - any generation of the A6 - is in my opinion the most timeless designed sedan ever. Whenever one passes by, I just have to glance admiringly at it. This 3.0 TDI is fast and offers leech-like grip through corners, thanks to that advanced AWD system. In fact, your car is superior (powertrain wise) to the 2021 A6 on sale in India which has just 4 cylinders and FWD.

I personally wouldn't buy an out-of-warranty German luxury car or one that's so old, but hey, different strokes for different folks .

Wishing you many happy road-trips with your beast. Keep hitting the highway - that's what these cars are built for. Your beast is going to our homepage today .
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 10:21   #5
BHPian

Lovely. At the time when this a6 3.0tdi was launched it was the benchmark. Coupled with the Quattro it was a super driver’s car. Even now when you drive the regular fwd vs Quattro you will feel the difference, especially on the wet. It is a better car than the current a6 (atleast imho) since it has a 3.0 245hp, Quattro and Air suspension.
Hoping you enjoy many many miles of fun.
spkrnh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 10:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, @sj_car_boy, on this great looking example. I've been a used car buff since 1998 and can relate to all your thoughts and actions. Your Altis is one choice that I fully endorse. Just one point - I have never moved anywhere close to European cars this far as I am wary of how they measure up to our country's environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_car_boy View Post
I've been getting fuel economy of 12kmpl in city and 17 kmpl on highways.
Smaller yet significant things -
1. Long press the unlock button on the remote and all windows, sunroof open up to let the hot air out. Long press the lock button on the remote and all windows, sunroof close while locking the car.
2. When you go in reverse – the car automatically brings down the rear shade.
These cars are known fuel efficiency champions, and the two points mentioned above are thoughtful features.

Quote:
There are minor spots on the windscreen that disperse the light of oncoming vehicles (at night). Planning to replace with an OEM windshield from China.
Why don't you consider getting the windscreen buffed from a detailer or an independent glass polisher? I've got two of my cars' windscreens buffed this far with success. If it doesn't give you results to your satisfaction, you've at least tried. This should cost you no more than 1500 bucks, unless someone sees the logo and goes overboard.

Give yourself a shorter ownership span with this car, but if you're sure about going to the 10 year mark, please look after the interiors really well as they age quick.

Last edited by vigsom : 5th April 2021 at 10:31.
vigsom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:46   #7
BHPian

She's an absolute beauty!! Definitely dosen't look anywhere close to 10 years old.

Here's to many more safe and fun miles!!!
Gamerk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:05   #8
BHPian

Great car, how did the ascertain the condition of components like the Turbo and the injectors before purchase. Can you please DM the price ?
Old 5th April 2021, 13:34   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on bringing home this beauty!

I have an off-topic query. With all the bans on the China run portals like Alibaba / Aliexpress etc., where exactly are you sourcing the parts from? I really miss using Aliexpress in particular for my upgrades and add-ons for my vehicles.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th April 2021 at 21:29. Reason: Grammar
lemedico is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new ride
You are absolutely right, the age doesn't show up at all for this timeless beauty!

Can you share how you went about doing the pre-delivery checkup given that the car was 10 yrs old?
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:43   #11
BHPian

Wow, Your car looks beautiful! A6 Design is so timeless! Congratulations on getting home this beast

Brave of you to go for an out of warranty German!
I wish you many happy miles with the car and your good experience will definitely give courage to me and other members to go after the car of our dreams
911CarerraS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:55   #12
BHPian

Looks fantastic and wish you many years of Happy Motoring. This particular model and colour was used as my wedding car a couple of years ago and since then I have developed a soft corner for it and started to notice "most timeless designed sedan ever" GTO is talking about.

I see you are also based in Hyderabad and looks like you got a good price for it.
When I moved to Hyderabad in early 2017 I was also searching for a used BMW E90 320d. Unfortunately I was taken for a ride by every dealer I tried(language barrier maybe?) and eventually had to drop the idea. Used car prices in Hyderabad are only lower in comparison to Bangalore I believe.

Last edited by Foxbat : 5th April 2021 at 14:00.
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 15:19   #13
BHPian

I loved everything about this thread, thanks for the write-up! I definitely agree with the point you mentioned about the timelessness of the VAG cars.

The car itself is one of my personal favourites in it's class. It's amazing to see just how much value-for-money you can get from a pre-worshipped example such as yours, car seems to be in an immaculate condition for the age!

Wishing you many more happy miles on the odo ahead!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:17   #14
BHPian

Congrats on your buy. Indeed A6 is one of the best pre-worshipped buy one can buy in the market primarily because of its capabilities and secondarily because of low demand vis-a-vis Merc E or the 5er.

I once saw a video of converting a 2011 A6 to a 2015 one by changing the bumpers and head and tail lights. They added the Matrix one. Maybe you can give it a try.

Also, would like to the FNG at which you get your car serviced as it is difficult to get a competent FNG for European steeds in Hyderabad.
mufeez1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:32   #15
BHPian

That car does not look old at all, especially the swanky interiors. You got yourself a good deal IMO. Enjoy your "new" ride.

Most Viewed