Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2021, 00:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
I followed you to this thread from the Jeep Compass one. You do make a very strong argument in favour of the Crysta here!
I too am inclined towards a manual transmission - one, this is likely to be the last manual of our lives, second - I am looking at using it in thin traffic condition, or on highways, so I don't think manual should cause fatigue.

That's true. The clutch is quite light and the gear lever is smooth to engage. Not the best I have seen though, Hyundai is still butter smooth. However, one doesn't need to change the gears often due to the ratios and power on tap.

I was initially inclined towards the VX Petrol Manual (the GX seemed too plain Vanilla). But the 7 airbags on the ZX makes a strong case for safety, especially since I will be using it as a family car. No manual option on the ZX unfortunately.

That's true. It's sad Toyota is skimming safety features on a 20L car

Some queries, as I assume you would have done in-depth research before your purchase.

The key features that I will lose out in a Crysta vis-a-vis a Compass are the Wireless Apple Carplay, ventilated seats, electric tail door opener, 360 degree camera, a better digital information cluster and infotainment system and connected cars features. Now looking back, which of these do you feel were worthy additions?

The Wireless Apple Carplay and ventilated seats are useful features to have. However they aren't deal breakers according to me. Wired car play in the Crysta also works well. The system is lag free. The AC in the Crysta is quite powerful and cools the cabin well.

Did you consider the resale value for the petrol Crysta? Any inputs?

The overall perception of the petrol Crysta is of a guzzler. The dealer told me I would get 6-7 kmpl in the city but it isn't true thankfully. Hence I expect heavy depreciation if sold in the first 3-4 years. Also the ZX model has a poor resale compared to the GX.

I have purchased this car for the longer term. Practically to run it for as long as I can. Hoping for straight 15 years at least. We had a Qualis earlier and the experience was amazing.

Also the joy of driving a mini-bus with a stick would be unparalleled in 2036 am hoping. Hence didn't affect my decision much.

Compass or Crysta, I am going to use it as a family car. No off-roading, no trails. From that perspective, which is better especially for the passengers? I am not the type of driver who will squeeze out every HP and N from the engine.

Understood. I don't want to bias you towards the Crysta. Both are good cars. Crysta has an edge on reliability and space/comfort while Compass leads on features if performance doesn't matter. Suggest you take long test drives of both and decide
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 18:28   #32
BHPian

Thanks for the useful inputs.

I took a TD of the Toyota Crysta ZX Petrol with the family. As you had predicted they fell in love with the interiors and comfort that it offers. The consensus from the family is that they won’t miss the sunroof that they would have got in a Compass. Most of the other features of the Compass are driver-centric, and I think I can do without them too (till I save up and buy a sports car for myself!)

One major input from the TD was that when driving, I really couldn’t tell the size of the car and it handled pretty much like my Vento. That gives me some confidence that my wife will also be able to drive it. The added convenience of the AT also makes driving easy.

One clarification. The Toyota dealer gave me a quote which included a whopping ₹1 lakh as the insurance premium. For the IDV, I should be able to get a comprehensive policy for half that amount on my own. But the sales person’s version is that on a new Toyota, one HAS TO take the Toyota insurance. Is that true?

Last edited by ganeshnag75 : 7th May 2021 at 18:46.
Old 7th May 2021, 20:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
But the sales person’s version is that on a new Toyota, one HAS TO take the Toyota insurance. Is that true?
This is just a dealer tactic. Don't believe in this and escalate to the GM and Toyota themselves. If that doesn't work, you can write to the insurance regulator and that should sort it out
sodapop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 21:15   #34
BHPian

Did you buy your car from MGF Toyota Gurugram? Because I also happen to be dealing the same agency.

If you don’t mind, can I quote you (anonymously of course) that they have sold the same car to someone without the so called mandatory Toyota insurance.
Old 7th May 2021, 22:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you buy your car from MGF Toyota Gurugram? Because I also happen to be dealing the same agency.

If you don’t mind, can I quote you (anonymously of course) that they have sold the same car to someone without the so called mandatory Toyota insurance.
Just ask them to match the quote you are getting outside. They will reduce but still will be 10-15k costlier, which to me is ok. Go for outside insurance only if there is significant difference.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 23:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the useful inputs.

I took a TD of the Toyota Crysta ZX Petrol with the family. As you had predicted they fell in love with the interiors and comfort that it offers. The consensus from the family is that they won’t miss the sunroof that they would have got in a Compass. Most of the other features of the Compass are driver-centric, and I think I can do without them too (till I save up and buy a sports car for myself!)

One major input from the TD was that when driving, I really couldn’t tell the size of the car and it handled pretty much like my Vento. That gives me some confidence that my wife will also be able to drive it. The added convenience of the AT also makes driving easy.

One clarification. The Toyota dealer gave me a quote which included a whopping ₹1 lakh as the insurance premium. For the IDV, I should be able to get a comprehensive policy for half that amount on my own. But the sales person’s version is that on a new Toyota, one HAS TO take the Toyota insurance. Is that true?
Correct observations about the ride and comfort. No other car in the segment can beat Crysta when it comes to comfort. Compass is in no way a comfortable 5 seater although a pretty good 4 seater I would say plus their horrible after sales. The only areas where Compass beats Crysta are looks and feature list. And for the diesel engine, Compass produces peak torque at 1750 rpm while Crysta does it much earlier at 1400 rpm. Crysta's low end is one of the best. Ride quality in Compass is better but I didn't find big difference between the two. I was going to buy Creta top end but after TD there was no way my family could like Creta's rear comfort over Crysta.

Regarding insurance, you DON'T HAVE to take Toyota protect. Tell the salesman you would buy from another showroom or send email to Toyota if he uses this unethical tactic. However, my personal advice would be go for Toyota Protect as you get manufacturer support during claims and the complete process is handled by them in case of any disputes. You might have read one of the recent thread about Crysta transmission leak due to accident which was not covered by insurance. If the insurance was through Toyota protect, things probably would have been sorted out between Toyota and the insurer but since insurance was taken outside the owner had to go through several headaches and shelled out few lakhs. You can go with Toyota Advance which covers Nil depreciation, there are costlier variants for engine, tyre protection but you don't really need them. Regarding the quotations, I found them more or less similar across Toyota dealerships since it's designed by Toyota directly and you can find the prices on https://toyotaprotect.com . Go for Toyota Protect for more peace of mind. However doesn't mean outside insurance is not good, it's just that you will additionally get manufacturer support with Toyota Protect.
Technic90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 17:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I did buy from MGF and please feel free to do so. Like others have said, give them a chance to match the quote from outside. If they fail to do so within 5K range, you can and should go with the policy from outside

Last edited by sid_deb : 8th May 2021 at 17:48.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 20:05   #38
BHPian

Thanks. I did manage to hard talk my way out of the Toyota insurance, by pitting one dealer against the other. The price difference was considerable - to the tune of Rs 40k. I stay in a very safe campus and lots of the insurance cover related to theft and damage, I felt were unnecessary.
Old 11th July 2021, 21:51   #39
BHPian

Time for a quick update: The ODO now stands at 3333 kms (pardon the bad quality picture)

Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210711-9.40.40-pm-2.jpeg

Did a 700km road trip recently with around 550km of driving in the plains and rest in the hills. Queen performed flawlessly and ensured we all had a comfortable ride.
  • Highway Performance: The petrol Innova is a very silent cruiser with excellent performance. It's able to easily match to the Crysta 2.8Z and Harrier and can even outrun them if needed.
  • Highway Mileage: Drove in a very sedate way while going from Delhi. At 90-100 kmph, the car returned 13.3 kmpl (tankful to tankful). However did some spirited driving on the way back and the mileage dipped to 10.5 kmpl. Post 100 kmph, the Queen does get quite thirsty.

The car really needs detailing now. I washed the car today but there are hard water stains all over. Attaching the pictures. I asked near 3M Car Wash for a quote to fix this and he quoted 9K for the complete wash, wax and polish. Is this needed?
Attached Thumbnails
Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210711-9.40.40-pm-1.jpeg  

Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210711-9.40.40-pm.jpeg  

sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 13:28   #40
BHPian

Innova Crysta Petrol Real-Life Mileage Update
Having tested the car across multiple city and highway situations over 3000kms, I am extremely satisfied with the performance and mileage it delivers.

Overall, this car can deliver anywhere between 4-20kmpl depending on the traffic conditions and driving style. Using the below image across 6 trips as an anchor to explain. This has been with 3 people on-board and AC on all the time. The MID average mileage is pretty accurate and has always been within 0.5km/l of the tank-full method

Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210718-11.17.41-am.jpeg

Trip 2: Bumper to bumper mileage
I had run into a huge traffic jam on the Gurgaon expressway due to police roadblocks and an accident. The car returned around 4 kmpl to cover around 2kms in 30 minutes.

Trip 3: Bumper to bumper plus city traffic mileage (combined)
Mid-way into the jam on trip 2, I reset the mileage again. It took another 25 minutes to cover the jam and then completed my trip till Kherki Dhaula. The average mileage the car returned was 9.8kmpl

Trip 1 and 4: City traffic mileage
In the city with peak traffic, the car delivers around 10.1-10.3kmpl. This is also now consistent with trip 3

Trip 5: Highway mileage - Steady state driving at 80kmph
The car if driven at a constant speed of 80kmph without any braking, delivers 20+ kmpl Never expected a 2.7L 1.8T petrol beast to return this. Mileage has gone up considerably. The engine has completely settled in now and is way smoother post the highway driving.

Trip 6 or Now: Highway mileage - Driving around 90-100kmph
The car if driven at 90-100 kmph, easily returns around 15-15.5kmpl.

Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210718-11.17.41-am-1.jpeg

However as I mentioned in my previous post, if driven super hard on the highways with frequent over-takes and speeds over 100kmph, the car will deliver around 10-11kmpl on an average

Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210718-12.15.38-pm.jpeg

Exterior Update
Finally got the detailing done, the car is looking shiny as new. All the hard water stains have been removed. I was making a mistake to wash the car and not drain the fluid

Hope it stays like this always
sid_deb is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:06   #41
BHPian

Frankly speaking this is an eye opener for many of us. The highway mileage is similar to the diesel avatar. I never expected the efficiency to be above 10-12 kms per liter. Do you know whether the petrol AT variant also churns out such terrific numbers
rahulskumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:07   #42
BHPian

4-20 kmpl is an absurdly wide range, but it's the 20 that's really impressive.

My Altis diesel gives around 12-14kmpl in the city, and 18 if driven at 100-120 on the highway with frequent braking and overtaking.

I'm really wondering what average it could give me if driven sedately at 80kmph. Possibly 25+.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thank you! Very helpful update for me as I decide which to buy between the Petrol & Diesel Crysta. I guess given my driving style (sedate, constant speed, heavy usage of engine braking) I can assume a mileage in excess of 15kmpl on Amritsar - Delhi highway. This would be a step up from my current Innova, which would give 13 -14 kmpl.

Last edited by rrsteer : 19th July 2021 at 11:13.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Trip 5: Highway mileage - Steady state driving at 80kmph
The car if driven at a constant speed of 80kmph without any braking, delivers 20+ kmpl Never expected a 2.7L 1.8T petrol beast to return this. Mileage has gone up considerably. The engine has completely settled in now and is way smoother post the highway driving.

Trip 6 or Now: Highway mileage - Driving around 90-100kmph
The car if driven at 90-100 kmph, easily returns around 15-15.5kmpl.
Thanks for the update. 20+ kmpl is unbelievable mileage!!! Can you please confirm the distance travelled during this highway run?

I have been driving petrol Innova Crysta (Dec 2020 model) quite frequently and mileage hovers between 9 to 13 kmpl (not so crowded city roads + highway). 15-16 kmpl is the best which I have seen on the highway which I feel is very respectable considering the size of the engine and weight of the vechile.
HP-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:38   #45
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
[b]

Trip 1 and 4: City traffic mileage
In the city with peak traffic, the car delivers around 10.1-10.3kmpl.

Exterior Update
Finally got the detailing done, the car is looking shiny as new. All the hard water stains have been removed. I was making a mistake to wash the car and not drain the fluid

Hope it stays like this always
Have a few queries on the two points above:
1. Can you explain what roughly peak traffic is in the conditions mentioned? For e.g. An average speed of 10 kmph or a different speed slab?

2. How easy is it to maintain Garnet Red colour in terms of dings/ scratches? Is it more tending towards black or does it tend towards easy to maintain colours?

3. What is meant by "draining fluid"? Are you referring to the hard water somehow flowing off the body after a wash or something else?

Most Viewed