Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 18:32   #31
BHPian

re: Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
1) Do you feel that the engine noise levels are high in Triber?
2) I was told that the 3rd row AC compressor is beneath the front co-driver seat. Hence, there is some additional noise when its turned on.
3) When I inquired about the pricing, I was told about the Renault Easy Care *- A prepaid maintenance program that covers 3yrs/30kms. Do you suggest I take it or can I skip it?
1- Yes, engine noise levels are definitely on a higher side if you compare it with other cars from same segment.
2- Yes, and the noise is present from 1st speed itself. It becomes irritating when you set it to 3rd speed.
3- Skip it while buying the car, if you're happy with the first and second service then you can opt for it to be added in the second service bill.

Personally, I'm very happy with their service and will be buying the easy care during my second service.
Venky03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 15:53   #32
BHPian

Second Free Service Update

My Triber has covered around 7k kms travelling across Maharashtra & Gujrat.
Cancelled a lot of plans due to the second wave of covid, hopefully will get to execute them next year.

I decided to pamper it first before handing it over to Renault for servicing, it included :
  • Wurth Rubber spray on all the rubber seals
  • White lithium spray on all the hinges and locks
  • Silicone spray on the boot hydraulic struts and wiper joints
  • Silicone spray on the window sliding

For the paint :
  1. Washed it with Meguiar's NXT shampoo
  2. Claying with clay bars from Wavex (only lower sections of all the doors)
  3. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on all panels
  4. TurtleWax Ceramic Polish And Wax on all panels
  5. Finished it off with Sonax BSD after curing for 24hrs

For the trim :
  1. Washed it with Meguiar's NXT shampoo and a brush
  2. Coat of TurtleWax Trim Restorer

For the glass :
  1. Washed with Meguiar's NXT shampoo
  2. Cleaned further with Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass cleaner
  3. Applied a coat of Turtlewax SNS as it makes cleaning easier

Interiors :
  • Cleaned windshield with IPA from inside
  • 3M Interior Foam Spray for minor stains on seat
  • Bought some Little Trees air freshner
  • The Cleaning Guys dashboard dressing

Final Result :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-trib.jpeg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-refl.jpeg

The whole process took 2 days and a *lot* of elbow grease. Obviously not as effective as machine polish but pretty happy with the results.

Dropped my vehicle on 29th Oct and picked it up on 30th Oct, the Renault Thane service center is currently managing the customers from Mumbai as well because the Andheri workshop is temporarily closed; so same day service was not possible.

The original quote from the SA was ₹12,618. I asked him to provide me with a list of jobs and politely asked him to remove all the optional coatings, ac disinfection, etc. Also changed the oil from synthetic to normal, they charged ~₹4k for 3L synthetic oil which was on an expensive side; the rate for normal oil came down to ₹1029 for 3L.

The revised total came down to ₹2923, added in 4XWheel Balancing and geometry check for Front & Rear axles.(was unsure about this as I had not read much about this on forums but seemed important)
Final total was ₹4,502. The coolant was not changed.

Also bought in 3-Year Extended Warranty as there was a 10% discount offer.

About my personal experience with the car, it has been amazing; the suspension handles MH roads like a champ, AMT comes into play in the city traffic and the AC is more than adequate for hot Indian summers as mentioned earlier. It has been a niggle free experience and also no scuff marks/dents on my car while driving.(touch-wood)

Lower NVH levels would've made the car flawless for me!

The after-sales has been decent, overall very happy with the car & the brand.
Venky03 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 11:23   #33
BHPian

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-tr1.jpg

Completed a road trip spanning around 1,380kms in 3 days(540+300+540) with my Triber. This was my first long trip after the second service, the engine felt a tad smoother and the AMT performed well, there was just this one time when I was planning to overtake and the AMT shifted from 4th to 5th then realized that I wanted power and shifted to 3rd. The fast shifts are vocal and you'll be able to hear them.

Was cruising in 80s for most of the time, but the frequent rumblers on NH60 were tiresome and did affect the mileage.

Both AC On, 3 Adults with luggage :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1639541716034.jpg

Both AC turned off midway, 3 Adults with luggage + ~50kg local produce :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1639541527052.jpg

Tank to tank :

One cut tank full at last pump.
14.42L for 301kms = 20.87kmpl

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1639546856900.jpg
Venky03 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:50   #34
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review, lots of mods and keeping the thread updated as you enjoy your ride. I have been looking at the Triber for it's compactness and yet ample space inside. Couple of questions if you could kindly answer...
  1. In your last few pics I noticed a roof rack attached to the rails - is that the OEM accessory that Renault offers? Also is it easily attachable/detachable? With the 3rd row of seats in place I think the roof is the only place for luggage on long journeys.
  2. You mentioned about auto climate control mod - any more info about it?
  3. Does the head unit have GPS/navigation with google maps? And does it allow one to install any apps from the playstore?
Old 5th January 2022, 18:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
Thanks for the excellent review, lots of mods and keeping the thread updated as you enjoy your ride. I have been looking at the Triber for it's compactness and yet ample space inside. Couple of questions if you could kindly answer...
  1. In your last few pics I noticed a roof rack attached to the rails - is that the OEM accessory that Renault offers? Also is it easily attachable/detachable? With the 3rd row of seats in place I think the roof is the only place for luggage on long journeys.
  2. You mentioned about auto climate control mod - any more info about it?
  3. Does the head unit have GPS/navigation with google maps? And does it allow one to install any apps from the playstore?
  • It is from Roufrails and attaching, detaching it is is fairly simple. I also got the luggage carrier bag from amazonbasics which makes it much more easier to use it instead of the traditional rope-plastic sheet method.
  • Did not get much time to think about it, but now as robu has started taking in custom 3d printing jobs it is a matter of 1 free week.
  • The head unit is manufactured by LG and does not have inbuilt GPS and navigation capabilities. It'll require android auto, and all the apps compatible with android auto like prime music, gaana, maps, whatsapp, etc. can be accessed once the phone is connected.
Venky03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 23:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
  • It is from Roufrails and attaching, detaching it is is fairly simple. I also got the luggage carrier bag from amazonbasics which makes it much more easier to use it instead of the traditional rope-plastic sheet method.
  • Did not get much time to think about it, but now as robu has started taking in custom 3d printing jobs it is a matter of 1 free week.
  • The head unit is manufactured by LG and does not have inbuilt GPS and navigation capabilities. It'll require android auto, and all the apps compatible with android auto like prime music, gaana, maps, whatsapp, etc. can be accessed once the phone is connected.
Thanks for the link to the roof rails manufacturer. I have seen the Amazon Basics bag and I agree it's very convenient. I am really curious now about the auto climate control mod since I actually have a 3D printer and I am wondering what one can print to make that happen IMHO its a very complicated mod.
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 15:51   #37
BHPian

Thanks for nice review Venky. I'm considering the same RXT + AMT for my family.

But I have a query regarding the Paint Quality of Triber. Recently I have seen several Tribers ( mostly orange ), and the color has faded so badly. Can you comment on the same?
Old 30th January 2022, 20:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Thanks for nice review Venky. I'm considering the same RXT + AMT for my family.

But I have a query regarding the Paint Quality of Triber. Recently I have seen several Tribers ( mostly orange ), and the color has faded so badly. Can you comment on the same?
The paint is a standard two layer coat, as for the clear coat it is fairly hard and won't scratch easily. But that also means getting scratches off even with a good quality compound requires a lot of elbow grease.

My car had been coated with 2 layers of SealNShine on day 2 and I follow the same routine every 6 months. In the parking it is covered so can't really comment on the effects of UV rays on the paint.

Attaching the most recent pic for reference (1.1 year complete) :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1643553014438.jpeg
Venky03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The paint is a standard two layer coat, as for the clear coat it is fairly hard and won't scratch easily. But that also means getting scratches off even with a good quality compound requires a lot of elbow grease.

My car had been coated with 2 layers of SealNShine on day 2 and I follow the same routine every 6 months. In the parking it is covered so can't really comment on the effects of UV rays on the paint.

Attaching the most recent pic for reference (1.1 year complete) :

Attachment 2266967
Wow, your car looks almost brand new. Hats off to your meticulous care of it
Old 2nd February 2022, 17:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, your car looks almost brand new. Hats off to your meticulous care of it
Thank you for the kind words!

Have you finalized on Triber yet, or looking at other options?
Old 8th February 2022, 19:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Have you finalized on Triber yet, or looking at other options?
I have narrowed down my choices to the Triber and Ertiga. Since my wife will also be driving she prefers a small footprint car so the Triber fits the bill better but since I drive a Polo GT TSI I find the Triber's engine very boring. Apart from city driving we will be using the car on long drives and I don't want to struggle when overtaking at highway speeds. That's the main reason I have shortlisted the Ertiga as well. But I prefer the Triber's flexibility and space gain of removing the 3rd row seats.

As we are not in a hurry to make the purchase I have been waiting to see if they finally release the turbo variant.

Since you have owned the car for more than 2 years now I wanted to ask how it's holding up - especially the plastics as they aren't of mediocre quality. How is the NVH?
Old 9th February 2022, 12:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:

As we are not in a hurry to make the purchase I have been waiting to see if they finally release the turbo variant.

Since you have owned the car for more than 2 years now I wanted to ask how it's holding up - especially the plastics as they aren't of mediocre quality. How is the NVH?
I'm guessing turbo release won't be anytime soon as it can potentially cannibalize Kiger sales. I've owned the car for 1.1 years now, and both the plastic interiors and door rubber beading are holding up well. There's no unwanted creaks or any other sound even though the car has been through very rough Konkan roads regularly.
Venky03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 01:19   #43
BHPian

1 Year Update - 8652kms

This post has been well overdue as my car completed its 1st year on 20th December 2021.

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644390851071.jpeg

Interiors :

The plastics are still in a very decent condition, and no creaks/unwanted sounds yet. Have been dressing them every 4-5 months, mats are still the stock ones which were included in the basic package; they get the job done but as they're black they get dirty very easily.

Seats are very comfortable for long drives with decent thigh support, but one downside of having fabric seats is that they get stained very easily, have to keep the 3M foam interior cleaner spray handy. I've not noticed any back/neck pain during my 10-12hr non-stop trips.

The third row of Triber is fairly usable even for adults and cannot be dismissed as a kids only feature, only issue is the height limitation as the rear glass is too close to the headrest. Space and thigh support is more or less similar or even better than other 7/6 seaters available on the market.

As mine is the RXT(Mid variant) the charging port is missing on the third row, I would've really liked to add it on as an accessory if it was present. Currently I'm using a 12v port splitter as I'm using multiple accessories.
All the power window buttons, fan knobs and other misc buttons(parking, lock/unlock) are holding up well. No signs of wear and tear or rattle.

The boot is pretty much non existent, so if you're planning to travel with full occupancy frequently, make sure to get a good roof rack.

AC cooling performance is excellent, just the noise from the blower used for 2nd and 3rd row is a bit high for my liking. When just the 3 of us are travelling it usually gets so cold that we have to turn off the compressor after some time.

The infotainment system is average in terms of responsiveness, they've preinstalled a matte screen guard. The audio quality surprised me, I wasn't really expecting much but after playing around with the equalizer realized that audio output is good enough and I don't feel the need to upgrade.

Attaching some pics :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644390851106.jpeg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644390851094.jpeg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644390851082.jpeg

Exteriors :

The factory paint is a standard 2 coat affair and the clear coat is not too soft, perfectly suited for Indian conditions. All the trim surfaces are holding up good as well, cleaned and dressed every 6 months.

The paint was coated with Turtlewax SealNShine on day 2, reapplied every 6 months. I use the jopasu duster to clean the loose dust and then clean it further with proklear waterless wash if needed.

The car is mostly used only on weekends for long trips, so it spends most of the time parked and under a cover.

Doors and bonnet are fairly heavy and have that reassuring thud, but the tailgate is a different story altogether.

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644390851117.jpeg

Engine, transmission and brakes :

As mentioned previously, I'm a sedate driver and absolutely enjoy driving the car on highways. 0-80kmph(Even 100 if 5 onboard) is a breeze but after that you hit a plateau, the only time I drive at 80kmph+ speeds is on the Mumbai-Pune expressway and the car is perfectly stable and glued to the road at those speeds. Other than that, I don't think it is safe(or even permissible?) to drive at 100-120+kmph on state highways with ertiga interceptors lurking everywhere.

I've gotten used to the automated transmission, leaving accelerator pedal while the shifts happen is instinctive now. Shifts are slow and sometimes the actuators are so aggressive that the reverse gear slotting in mildly jerks the entire vehicle. Other than that it is perfectly usable, the creep function is helpful in city traffic and kicks in 1-2 secs after you leave the brakes. One safety feature worth noting is that if your driver side door is not closed properly, the amt won't initiate the gears and will rev in neutral. Another advantage of the amt gearbox is that it likes to downshift if you brake beyond a certain threshold; effectively bringing in engine braking to the play.

Very satisfied with the braking performance, brake assist is readily available anytime you need it. So far never really got to test the abs.

Engine did feel a tad smoother after the first oil change and has been delivering an average of 20kmpl+ regularly for my highway runs now.

My most recent trip (5 on-board, both ac turned on throughout) :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644420610376.jpeg

Parts and service :

I'm pleased with Renault's service experience and hope that they keep improving on the same, more on that here : Thread (My positive experiences with Renault's service center @ Thane (6 visits))
Apart from their service, the part sharing with Kwid and Kiger ensures that the prices are very affordable. Listing down oem parts which will be required for regular servicing with their costs :
AC Filter : ₹173
Engine Air Filter : ₹199
Engine Oil Filter : ₹399
Oil Sump Washer : ₹79
Wiper Washer Fluid : ₹45

Apart from these, they used the CASTROL PRO 15W40 A3/B3 oil.(3 Litres)

Summing it up :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644390049559.jpg

I've missed a lot of opportunities to explore around due to Covid, hope to explore more places with my Triber this year. Personally very happy with every aspect of the car except the NVH levels, searching for good dampening options.
Are you looking to buy a Triber? If yes, consider the following points:

What you get:
  • Spacious interiors
  • As a 5 seater, segment leading boot
  • Usable 3rd row
  • Decent ground clearance
  • Good fuel efficiency
  • Excellent ride quality
  • 4-Star GNCap rating
  • Low maintenance costs

What you don't get:
  • Premium interiors
  • No boot in full occupancy
  • Well refined 4-cylinder engine
  • CVT/Torque Converter
  • Quieter cabin

Yes, you'll have to rev the engine harder when 7 adults are sitting in the car and the roof rack is fully loaded up with luggage; but just pause for a while and think about how frequently this scenario is going to occur in a year?
Think of the Triber as a very capable and spacious 5 seater with the ability to occupy 7 adults when needed.

As always, Live To Drive.

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644390851128.jpeg
Venky03 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:10   #44
BHPian

More on accessories for Triber owners

Headlights :

The headlights feel a bit underpowered on pitch dark highways, had the following options :
  • Philips Xtremevision/Osram Nightbreaker(55W)
  • Search for a 100W halogen alternative
  • Search for a good HID kit
  • Osram LEDs

I went with the Philips Xtremevision Gforce (Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update)because of the following reasons :
  • Better life expectancy of 540hrs vs 250hrs of Nightbreaker
  • 100W halogens were immediately discarded as it requires additional wiring and also the headlight assembly is not tested for double the heat output.
  • Do not use HIDs for high beam as they take time to reach full brightness and won't like the frequent use of upper. Was unable to find a good affordable kit for the low beam.
  • The LEDs lose upto 20% their peak brightness over time as they get heated up and its not really practical to spend 4k on a single pair of 25W Osram leds.
Have been using Xtremevision for more than 6 months now for both high and low beam, satisfied with them for now but will probably switch to hid/led for the low beam in the next upgrade cycle.
Also the headlights and tail lights come with a protective coating which starts to fade after 12-18 months, compound/polish the surface and replenish the protection annually(I'm using the Turtlewax Hybrid Ceramic Polish & Wax) and you'll never have to use the headlight restoration kit.

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644469029023.jpg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644469029034.jpg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644469029013.jpg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644469029044.jpg

DRLs :

Due to the limited space, fitting projector foglamps is not possible so had to go with a LED drl. Osram and Philips alternatives cost upwards of 6k so went with a cheaper local alternate. They're angled downwards and outwards so also help while cornering in dark and don't blind the oncoming cars. Would recommend them to any Triber owner looking for DRLs on a budget.

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644470692119.jpeg

LED Scuff Plates :

They do look good at night, but scuff plates are fitted to protect the paint surface. These particular ones are very flimsy and will break if you step on them, so won't recommend them. (Link)

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644471634363.jpg

Paint protection :

Please don't fall for the Ceramic/PPF trap, not worth it to invest 15-50k to protect the paint which costs 2-6k for repaint per panel. Grab a bottle of Turtlewax SealNShine and use it twice every year, one bottle will easily last you for 2-3 years and cost you less than INR 800.
Invest in a Jopasu duster and a dozen micro-fiber cloths and don't use anything else to clean the paint surface.

Here's how the SealNShine holds up after 6 months :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644416550541.jpg

Roof rack :

I'm very satisfied with the RoufRails product, but if you live in a different state and plan to order it, the logistics is a nightmare. They used VRL to send my RoufRails and I received a call from them to come and pickup the product from their warehouse located ~10kms from my place. I went to their specified location and then they asked for an additional INR 50 to release the goods, but I had already paid the delivery charges of INR 1500 while placing the order; I don't mind paying the amount but they were not very transparent about why I was charged. Also the product was damaged a bit during the transit by VRL, it was packaged neatly but this was the damage :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644474206426.jpg

And later started spreading :

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644473751000.jpg

I had notified RoufRails about the same and asked for a resolution, also asked if it would affect the structural integrity of the product in any way to which they replied it's just a paint touch up job. Still no resolution after 6 months from their side.
Apart from that, the product is excellent, and doesn't affect your mileage or handling in any way.

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644473624545.jpg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644473624521.jpg

Join the tribe! Renault Triber RXT AMT Review - 1 Year & 8,652 kms update-1644473624533.jpg
Venky03 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 14:39   #45
BHPian

Re: 1 Year Update - 8652kms

Quote:
This post has been well overdue as my car completed its 1st year on 20th December 2021.
Thank you for the comprehensive update of your ownership experience - this helps clear many doubts of people like me considering buying the Triber.
You mentioned about 10-12 hour drives and also about the non optimal NVH levels. Doesn't the noise and vibration tire you out on such long drives? Since our plan is to use the Triber on outstation trips this is something that is bothering. What kind of noise is felt in the cabin? Wind or engine or noise from the tires? This will help in figuring out where to put the dampening.

Related to the noise and vibration, what RPMs do you see when cruising at 80-100 KMPH. I have seen some videos on YT showing the RPM above 4K when the Triber is cruising at about 100 KMPH. At 4K RPM the engine would be quite noisy isn't it?

Good to see detailed pictures of the roof rack. Sorry to hear about the initial damage causing further paint cracking. You could try to coat a layer of epoxy over the cracked area to arrest further spread of the cracks. I did ask earlier about it's easy removal since for every wash/dusting it needs to be removed and refit since there is not much gap for proper cleaning. How do you deal with that?
sanspatil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks