Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 13:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review

Congratulations on your Tucson. I really likes your style of writing. It looks like you've owned all the Hyundais except Verna. It's one of the most under rated cars in India. May be a little overpriced but considering India's craze for SUVs and not many options in the segment apart from Compass, I wonder what's the reason for its poor sales.

It's great to know that you've covered 10k kms without scratches but I still believe PPF should be done straight out of showroom. Bhpians can prove me wrong though. Also, if one considers MT then Compass is probably a better car to drive but Tucson is definitely more spacious.

Wishing you many happy miles ahead
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 20:42   #17

Lovely review of the less popular Hyundai. As per a Hyundai dealership website, the petrol version gets a full sized spare and the diesel a space saver. Possibly due the DEF tank I guess.
deadlifts26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 21:32   #18
BHPian

Congratulations, the Tucson for sure is an under rated car. All thanks to Hyundai itself for deliberately not taking the product seriously. Stunning exteriors, great performance, let down by boring interiors. Most of the dealers don't have display/test drive units. My close friend was interested in buying the Tucson, visited the showroom, enquired about the same. As expected the sales guy started praising the Creta, started with the interiors and convinced my friend to opt for top end Creta
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidg View Post

You seem to be a Hyundai fan as almost all the cars you've owned in the past decade seem to be from Hyundai staple. Any particular reason on preferring Hyundai cars?
Well, A Hyundai showroom/ Service center happens to be just around 700 meters from my residence and most of the hyundai cars we bought ticked all the boxes which my family required expect for grand i10 AT. However a new BMW showroom is being setup just next to my residence. Who knows a 330i could my next ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
That's a good crisp review. I have a suggestion. You can try the 3M floor mats for your car. They are just amazing. But since you have already bought those 5D mats, give a thought about 3M when you want to change them. The 3M mats are just too good, they look and feel great. Most of all, the dust and tiny mud particles are properly sucked deep into those pores which can be dusted once a month.
To be honest, i am not totally satisfied with the 5D mats in my car. Could you share some pictures of 3M mats in your car ? Also a link to purchase those 3M mats would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Quote:
Congratulations on your Tucson. I really likes your style of writing. It looks like you've owned all the Hyundais except Verna.
I swear that is going to be my last Hyundai.

Quote:
Also, if one considers MT then Compass is probably a better car to drive but Tucson is definitely more spacious.
No doubt if you are looking for MT, then Compass is the car. (there is no MT option in Tucson at all)
LONG_TOURER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 14:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
To be honest, i am not totally satisfied with the 5D mats in my car. Could you share some pictures of 3M mats in your car ? Also a link to purchase those 3M mats would be helpful.
Here you go, the car has not been dusted in the last one month. The mats have a great grip, absorbs dust very well, cleaning is easy (just dusting is required) and will last a life time (will outlive the car). I have bought them directly at the 3M store. The quote was bit high but I caught hold of one of the employees and he gave them at a very good price. They take a big roll and cut them according to the car's dimensions. The rear seats mat is a single piece, I got it cut deliberately so that I do not have to remove multiple pieces to clean. My car is all white (light beige) interiors and tends to get dirty soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210601_141355088.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210601_141402017.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210601_141703118.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210601_142027280.jpg  

Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:19   #21
BHPian

Just curious about it’s handling, is it a typical Hyundai ?
No offence.
SShandilya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 19:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
Just curious about it’s handling, is it a typical Hyundai ?
No offence.
Handling is not that bad if you compare it with yesteryear's hyundai like verna, Elantra etc. It doesnt float like a boat. Ride is quite stable and car remains planted at higher speed. Steering could have been better in terms of feedback but it weighs up with speed.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 19:49   #23
BHPian

Hello, an excellent car. you nailed the review. I've owned a Tucson since Dec 2018. The car is trouble-free. Well almost. The sunroof rattle is evident even in my car. have written to Hyundai. been to almost all the outlets here in Guwahati. nothing concrete yet. The problem persists. What I do is spray and lube the rubber seals of the sunroof. helps a lot. apart from that nothing much we can do. Hope this helps.
Liverpool is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 22:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Here you go, the car has not been dusted in the last one month. The mats have a great grip, absorbs dust very well, cleaning is easy (just dusting is required) and will last a life time (will outlive the car). I have bought them directly at the 3M store.
Personally I feel these 3M nomad mats are the best. Looks premium and gathers all the dust and dirt to the bottom. Have been using the same pair since 5 years and only the driver one is damaged, which can be replaced individually.
Old 12th June 2021, 14:59   #25

You will be happy to see this picture. Did 1 lac km last week on my 3.5 year old Tucson. I am in love with this car.

Beside regular service cost and bumper replacement due to wear and tear, I just had one issue. My electronic seat adjustment of driver seat stopped working and was replaced in 15 odd days, cost was around 12-14k. With god grace never had an issue.

I am more happy because I bought this car after driving Ford Ecosport for 2.5 years. In family and business we must have purchased 25 cars in last 20 years, Ford ecosport was the first where its "award winning" turbo engine failed and got seized. So after that Tucson is a blessing and truly the most underrated car in India.

Waiting for the new 2022 one to launch, I am doubly sure will exchange this car with the new Tucson next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-screenshot_20210611105543.jpg  

Pankajm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankajm View Post
You will be happy to see this picture. Did 1 lac km last week on my 3.5 year old Tucson. I am in love with this car.
Very good to know that you have completed 1L kms on your tucson without any major issues. That is going to inspire some confidence to all Tucson owners in the long run. I would be glad if you come up with a longterm ownership review of the car on the forum with some pictures of your beast.

Thanks.
Old 17th December 2021, 16:36   #27
BHPian

Is there any ways to disable the alarm while lock/unlock. I tried holding together lock & unlock buttons in the key fob, but it is not working.
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 11:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
Is there any ways to disable the alarm while lock/unlock. I tried holding together lock & unlock buttons in the key fob, but it is not working.
I have disabled the alarm using the same process you have mentioned. I would suggest you to try again and keep holding the lock-unlock key until the indicator lights blink once. If this doesn't work out, then a visit to the service center remains the only option.
Old 20th December 2021, 09:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
the indicator lights blink once
In my case also the indicator light blinked once but again the alarm was playing (It's my friend's car). Any way i will suggest my friend to check with service center.

Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 10:30   #30
BHPian

1 YEAR 31000 KMS UPDATE

So, after almost 1 year and covering around 31000kms in the Tucson, the ownership experience of the car has been pretty mixed due to some niggles came up which i will discuss in a bit, however the drive experience with this car has been phenomenal. The engine and gearbox combination of this car certainly is the best in the segment.

Drive:

The car has covered around 31000 kms and will be covering another 1000 kms as i write this post. My drive has been on the higher side considering covering 30k + kms within 1 year of ownership.

My friends know that i am a light footed driver most of the time until my ego is provoked by less powerful cars like harrier, jeep compass etc honking and flashing lights on me. A full pedal to metal input on this car makes these cars disappear in my rear view mirror, such is the engine response from the 2L engine, ofcourse i dont try to mess with skoda karoq or VW Troc in pedal to metal inputs as those cars will certainly be faster off the line.

You can cruise around 110 kmph all day long without a hint of fatigueness. But yes, those speed warnings at 80 kmph and 120kmph has become quite annoying day by day. Anyway to disable them ??

I have covered most states of north and east india viz Assam, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Odhisha, Delhi, J & K and Ladakh with the tucson and i dont mind driving these places again and again with this car.

Service

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20211218_115928.jpg

The Tucson requires first service in 1500 kms, next at 10k kms and thereafter every 10k kms. With the 30k kms maintenance package the tucson came with, the car has been easy on the pocket. Most of the consumables were free (except DEF) during the service.

1st service cost at 1.5k kms : 0 /-
2nd service cost at 10k kms : 789 /-
3rd service cost at 20k kms : 2253/-
4th service cost at 30k kms : 1550 /-

Now that the maintenence package of this car has expired, the real ownership cost experience will only be realised after 40k kms service. Please note that 14L DEF last around 7500 kms as per my driving conditions.

Service experience

My overall service experience has been good with Hyundai. You get a service advisor as soon as you drive your car into the service station. My SA told me they have kept special service advisor for premium hyundai cars like elantra and tucson which i believe is true. All your queries and issues are dealt in time or atleast they try to resolve as early as possible. Being driven in multiple states in last one year, my car has been driven into various hyundai service centers and the treatment has been more or less similar.

Niggles

The 1 year ownership hasn't been a fuss free for me and i had quite a bit of niggles with the car including a major one.

1) Issues with the exhaust system : During my trip tp Leh - Ladakh, the car kept on showing DPF clog warning on the instrument cluster. I somehow managed to regenerate the DPF driving above 2k rpm but it used to get clog again while driving through high mountain passes. This cycle continued till we completed the entire mountainous circuit. More can be read about the issue in the link here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ai-tucson.html (Assam To Ladakh in a Hyundai Tucson)

Upon completing the journey, the car was sent for wheel alignment at hyundai service center where this issue popped up again. This time the DPF light was flashing. Clueless about the issue, the SA had to call Hyundai Engineers to diagnose the problem. Initially it was thought that the DPF was fully clogged but that was not the case. The car was kept for 7 days at service center during this period. At this time, the car had covered just about 25k kms.

Upon checking by Hyundai Engineers, it was concluded that the Catalytic convertor was faulty and needs a replacement. However the part needed to be ordered which took full 45days to arrive at the service station. While i understand that any part may fail but waiting for 45 days for a part replacement is not at all acceptable given the car is still on production. I had escalated the issue to senior hyundai officials, they acknowledged the problem but couldnt do much to source the part sooner. For your information, the part was replaced for free since the car is under warranty, however it cost around 2L when i enquired with the SA.

Upon asking why a catalytic convertor failed just under 30k kms of ownership, the SA had admitted to using wrong engine oil during the 3rd service which might have caused the Catalytic convertor to fail. They had used BS4 engine oil instead of using BS6 engine oil which led to failure of the catalytic convertor. Recieved the car after 45 days of waiting. Very disheartening indeed !

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-l.jpg
Check Exhaust System warning on instrument cluster

2) Rattles from the sunroof : This is something which is there from the very first day of ownership, couldn't find a Permanent solution to it as of now. The rattles occur when i keep the sunshade open and the sunroof closed. The rattle would go away when both the sunroof and sunshade is closed or open simultaneously. The only temporary solution to this rattle is to apply silicon gel spray on the hinges and joints in the sunroof after a regular interval.

Please note that the rattle is not that intense and wont be heard if you play music on the excellent 8 speaker infinity sound system in the Tucson.

3) Alignment issue : The car had a tendency to pull towards the left side. This issue started only after 2nd service at 10k kms. I had to take the car to service center numerous times to get it resolved. Even the SA were also clueless regarding this. A brief discussion with a Hyundai engineer concluded that while doing wheel alignment, three parameters needs to be calibrated which are wheel speed sensor, steering sensor and gravity sensor. It was found that the gravity sensor was not calibrated during the alignment process and hence the car kept pulling to the left.

Now the car drives arrow straight after calibration of all the three parameters. If you own a Tucson, please dont make the mistake of doing wheel alignment from outside alignment shop as they may not have the necessary scanning tools to recalibrated the sensors.

4) Exhaust pipe detached from the mufler at 30k kms : One fine day while reversing i heard a strange sound coming from the rear of the car, upon observing, i noticed that the exhaust pipe had detached from the muffler. Immediately called the SA, car was taken from my home and they welded the pipe with the muffler returned the car the same day. I suspect poor hyundai QC behind this problem.

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img20211229wa0077.jpg
Poor weld quality by Hyundai

Verdict

Leaving aside the niggles, i had no other problems with the car. Be it fuel efficiency or driving dynamics. The car returns 12kmpl in city and around 22kmpl in highways, did i say i am a light footed driver ?

I usually keep cars for more than 5 years but i dont think i would like to keep the tucson for that long. I will look forward to sell the car off once the warranty expires (5 years/140000kms) . The Tucson may be Hyundai, but parts are expensive and may take a decade to arrive in your nearest service center. Also the technicians are not very well trained to deal with major issues with this car. I think Hyundai India need to raise their shocks to set foot in premium segment in India.

Now some pictures.

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20211222_082802.jpg
30K kms on the ODO

Name:  Screenshot_2021_1231_180458.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  46.0 KB
Tucson gets a very advanced TPMS

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210503_195706.jpg
At Chandubi, Assam

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210821_165121.jpg
At Jispa, Himachal Pradesh

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210825_152747.jpg
At Siachen Base Camp, Ladakh

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20211118_054412.jpg
NH327, Bihar

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20211118_055905.jpg
The Halogen fog lamps works very well in foggy situation, LED Headlmaps are utterly useless in fog however they are excellent under normal condition

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20211223_130243.jpg
Somewhere in Jharkhand

Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review-img_20210711_064915.jpg
Tucson shares garage with his older sister Elantra

That's all for now folks, i know look forward to have a fuss free Hyundai like ownership in future. Keep checking the thread for updates. Thanks for reading and wish all the BHPians a very happy new year 2022.

Last edited by LONG_TOURER : 1st January 2022 at 10:44.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (53) Thanks

Most Viewed