Team-BHP - New Wagon R LXi - My wise decision
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   New Wagon R LXi - My wise decision (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/23797-new-wagon-r-lxi-my-wise-decision.html)

After going thru all the research during last six months, I've bought my dream car - New Wagon R LXi.

Prior to this I was using good old reliable Maruti 800 non-AC, and was looking for a car that should primarily has following featues:
1. Power Steering &
2. AC

I need the vehicle for my daily commute in Delhi traffic for around 40 KMs and occassional highway trip once in three months. After all the research, I zeroed myself on two cars - Indica Xeta GLG 1.2 and Wagon R LXi. In features and comfort, indica was racing ahead, and on relaibility and drivability in narrow lanes (in my colony) Wagon R was winning. Finally, my decision went in wagon R's favour and on 29th April, I bought my car, for which I was aspiring.

I got spoiled by the test drives of Xeta, so got MGA power windows fitted in my wagon R, and also got gear lock free with it. Also it is equipped with new immobilizer technology that gives me peace of mind, while i park my car outside.

Main features of my car are:
1. AC - Chills really very fast
2. Electronic Power steering - Its a breeze to drive this car in city taffic
3. Power Windows - It gives a new height to comfort level (comparing with my previous car M-800 ;) )
4. Immobilizer - In combination with gear lock, it gives me complete peace of mind.

After driving it for 240 KMs during first week, I must say, Wagon R is a really great car for a city like Delhi. It moves like a snake in traffic, and engine runs so smooth, that I'm falling in love with the car. In comparision to my M-800 and my brother's Alto LXi, where moving in and out of the car is really difficult, Wagon R is wonderful. You move in and out with no difficulty. It has lots of space, and door also opens very wide. As compared to my bro's Alto, where the power drop is evident as soon as the AC is switched on (in fact we have to switch the AC off, if we have to move on some flyover or if we need more pulling power), in Wagon-R, there is no such problem. Drop in power is negligible (1100 CC you know), and it really chills very fast.

Now the disappointment - Though thru my research, I knew that Wagon R has a notchy gear box, but let me tell you, its horrible:Shockked: . You just can't shift to fifth gear in single try, or may be because I'm new, I can't.

But with such a great car, I can bear the gear box issue.

Thank you every body, as your reports on T-BHP, helped in finalizing my decision of buying my Wagon R.

Congrats dude. All the best for your new car :)

Congratulations!!

Glad that T-bhp made you take the right decision in accordance with your requirements.

I agree with you on all points. Even i graduated from M800 to WR Lxi.
BTW, how much did the MGA PW cost? Is it for all four doors?

About the gear box, yes its notchy to say the least. But dont worry you will get used to it. Regarding using fifth gear, yes for a newbie it is difficult, you might be shifting into 3rd by mistake most of the times (as i did). The trick is, when you are in 4th, and you want to shift to 5th, dont pause at neutral and then try to find fiftth. Do this: When in 4th, along with applying forward force, apply sideways force as well, ie towards yourself, and dont stop at neutral keep going. You will end up in fifth. Thats what i have been doing for the past 3 years, and havent faced any problems till now.

Thanks guys....

DCEite - I've fitted PW for front two doors only. It costed me Rs.6200/-. And I'll try your fifth gear trick now..

Congrats on your new car Scorpio. Is the Power windows for 4 doors.Whats the gear lock make and whats the price you paid for both? Oh...sorry too many Qs?

Thanks Guys..

DCEite, Ramki - I got PW fitted for front two doors only. It costed me Rs.6200/-.

Ramki - Gear lock is also MGA, it's make is "ONELUS", and I bargained it free from dealer. Though it's MRP at MGA showroom is Rs.1700/- but good gera locks are available in market in therange of 1000 to 1500.

Congrats scorpio118!! Looks like you are really happy with your new car and thats the most important part of it. Clearly you've put a lot of research and thought into buying your new car and thats shows a very mature attitude towards buying a car. Hope you clock up many enjoyable miles on your car. Keep us posted.

Kartik

Enjoy your new ride scorpio118.. You have made a great choice, no doubt.

You got power windows retro-fitted for Rs. 6,200 only. Then what else makes up the difference between LXi & VXi? I thought power windows would only cost between Rs. 10-15k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkapoor777 (Post 432464)
Enjoy your new ride scorpio118.. You have made a great choice, no doubt.

You got power windows retro-fitted for Rs. 6,200 only. Then what else makes up the difference between LXi & VXi? I thought power windows would only cost between Rs. 10-15k.

In addition to power windows, VXi has tachometer ,wider tyres and electrical adjustable rvms.

congratz, its a great car. gear lever will loosen up soon, moving from m800 hasnt helped either.

5th gear, practice while parked and that will give you an idea which is the best way to slot

Happy motoring

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 432706)
In addition to power windows, VXi has tachometer ,wider tyres and electrical adjustable rvms.

Yes that's right. Also it has front & rear fog lamps, rear defogger, side moulding, beige interiors, some silver finish on dashboard, few reminder alarms like headlamp on, door ajar, key in etc.

But i felt LXi is better value for money. PW was the feature that i really need, so I got that retrofitted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 432706)

Thats it. Then why pay 25k extra over LXi (just checked the latest prices).

LXi + Power Windows (6,200) + Wider Tyres (155/65/13 instead of 145/70/13 - No much price difference) + ERVM's + Tacho = No sense in buying VXi.

Am I correct?

Absolutely...lol

But what about winter evenings and defogger?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio118 (Post 430700)
After going thru all the research during last six months, I've bought my dream car - New Wagon R LXi.
Now the disappointment - Though thru my research, I knew that Wagon R has a notchy gear box, but let me tell you, its horrible:Shockked: . You just can't shift to fifth gear in single try, or may be because I'm new, I can't.

Hi scorpio, you hav a wagon R friend here from bangalore. I have the same issue on the 5th gear, i tried shifting while parked, also on the move, but feels tough. Its just 40 days old car, so I am assuming gear box will get more friendly as we cover more kilimeters.

Overall, I am very happy with the car, its very userfriendly, easy to move around in the city, manages tight spots in traffic jams, easy to park, lot of space, very silent engine, powerful AC, very smooth power steering and overall better headlight styling from the previous models. I did few upgrades on tires to 165/60 R13 (Bridgestone potenza GIII) and League alloys (6 spoke). Its now a better looking car similar looks of an SUV from certain angles with more comfort and mighty grip on roads.

Shajufx - Bridgestone potenza with League alloys seems to be the favourite combi among wagon R users. BTW what is the price you have paid for this tyre upgrade ??

To all WR users - during my first week, i got a mileage of 11.2KMPL with 85% AC usage. Isn't it on lower side?? or it's OK?