Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 11:12   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Taurus View Post
Hi Procrj, can you give me more details of Lakshmi Yoko (address or Google maps location) so that I can speak to Mr.Devaraj and get a good deal on the tyres.
Here is the gmaps link, which also has Devraraj's number - https://g.page/sri-lakshmi-tyre-centers-tyre?share

Would suggest you also reach out to other dealers near your location and enquire before you finalize.
Madhus Wilson Garden- https://g.page/mtcbangalore?share
Madhus Kanakpura - https://goo.gl/maps/fUcYLGMVUMYmKCyRA
Tyre Professionals - https://goo.gl/maps/SvQkiqkH2TPEiWES7
Hercules Tyres - https://goo.gl/maps/KvUrKdUkzmWkX9Z69

Note: Do ensure you get your tyres road force balanced post installation.

Quote:
Essar Auto would help, I can see quite a lot on maps, which one do you prefer? Do we have to visit them and order the part or will a phone call do and then go pick up (can save one trip)
Shashi has shared Puneet's number above, do reach out to him. All you need to do is share the part number, pay on Gpay once he confirms availablity and let him know if you will pick it up or need it dunzoed. As simple as that

Quote:
Could you also tell me where do you plan to get the engine Bottom cover fixed? I’m planning to order one as soon as my delivery is confirmed.
Planning to go to Swastika Auto Center to get underbody coating and the engine cover fixed.
Quote:
Also if you’ve found someone who can fix the Auto Dimming IRVM would help, I’m not a DIY guy, yet.
Before you order the Celerio Auto dimming IRVM, do get your hands on the windshield IRVM mount that Shashi used. This mount is not included in the Celerio IRVM package, hence needs to be sourced through other means. I am still on the fence w/r/t the IRVM but you could talk to Mr. Lokesh from Swastica Auto about help with IRVM installation. Lokesh could also help with sourcing the IRVM mount, do check.

Last edited by procrj : 1st August 2021 at 11:19.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:54   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

7.11 Speaker Upgrades & Door Damping

Noise insulation is very bad in the XL6 and it was very irritating to hear traffic noise seeping into the vehicle. Added to that, I was not too happy with the stock speakers and thus began the search for a decent upgrade + some door damping. I had earlier zeroed in on a pair of Infinity co-axials for the upgrade but after reading up on the forum and looking at reviews online, decided to stick with JBL as a brand as they seemed to have some of the best mid range speakers available. Discussed the same with Parag and after his feedback, decided to go with JBL GTO 609c components for the front doors and JBL GTO 629 co-axials for the rear. After watching price fluctuate over weeks, picked up the GTO 609c from Motorogue.in for INR 7,990 and GTO 629 from amazon for INR 7,700. While I had budgeted for ~10K for the upgrade, decided to extend the same and invest in better quality product which would last me a long time.

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-s1.jpg

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-s2.jpg

Door damping was the other topic that I was educating myself on as I had never felt the need to damp the TUV. After reading through the damping materials thread (The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread), it was quiet clear that CTK/STP were most commonly used and 'Vibromax' was a product that I could consider. Parallelly, I was talking to a few accessories installers for the JBL GTOs and installation + door damping. Quotes for damping sheets + installations per door were 3.5-4K per door as the doors on the XL6 are quiet big, especially the rear doors. Most of these accessories shops claimed to use Vibromax/Brazzo/STP damping mats. During a discussion with Leoshashi, he pointed me to STP GB mats and I started to keep an eye on price. Sometime in the last week of June, the price dropped to 6.8K for 15 sheets and I placed an order for the same.

As of last week, the damping mats and JBL GTOs were ready to be fitted and I was still on the fence on how I should go about the installation. I was going back and forth on the DIY vs. Outside installation because:
1. I don't have enough space and lighting to do this elaborate DIY
2. I don't have a good set of tools for DIY
3. I am lazy bugger and prefer someone else doing the hard work

BHPian Sharatscorp referred The Bass Club, based on past work as well as personal experience. I reached out to Mr. Suresh from Bass club and he was able to answer my questions and establish expertise. After going through some of his work samples and checking reviews on Google, I decided to go ahead and get door damping + speaker installation done at the Bass Club. He quoted 4K for installation of speakers + mats, 2K for spacers + rain guards and 800 for wiring (ensured that it was for 16 GA), which I thought was a decent deal. Zeroed in on Friday afternoon for the install and Suresh confirmed that he will book the slot for me and complete the job by Friday evening.

Based on reading on the damping materials thread, I wasn’t sure if these mats were waterproof. Shashi had asked me to order hinge spray wax and Butyl tape along with the damping mats. Hinge wax was to be used to create a waxy layer over the damping sheet applied on the inner portion of the outer door pane, to prevent moisture buildup on damping mat surface. Butyl tape was to be used to reapply the plastic vapor barrier sheet post installation of mats.

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-s3.jpg

Friday afternoon 2PM, I was at The Bass Club and work began in the earnest. Suresh himself worked on the car and was assisted by Vivek. I asked them to do 1 door at a time and ensured a) the vapor barrier sheet was cleanly pulled out and kept aside and b) all the panels were wiped down clean with IPA, which I had carried along, before any damping work was carried out.

Stock Door and Vapor Barrier Sheet
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d1.jpg

Stock speakers - Super light
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d2.jpg

Stock tweeters mounted on Panel
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d3.jpg

Suresh started with the rear doors as they would need quiet a bit of damping and once the inner panel was fully damped, a roller was used to cleanly roll the damping mat across the surface and ensure that it adheres to the surface. I then whipped out the hinge spray wax and asked Suresh to spray the same on the mat surface. He was taken aback by this request and asked me about the use of the spray. We discussed the use of wax, post which it was sprayed across the entire cross section of the mat to create a layer. Ended up using almost 2 bottles of wax per door.

Inner Panel damped and coated with Hinge wax
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d4.jpg

Post the outer panel, inner panel of the door was damped and spacer + rain guard were mounted. Since the rear speakers were co-axials, Suresh checked the connectors to ensure that they fit the GTO 629s and used a heat sleeve to protect the connector joint. GTO 629s were easily mounted onto the spacer and the vapor barrier sheet was reinstalled. We had to use the Butyl tape to reinstall the vapor barrier sheet and roll gently using the roller to ensure that it sits tight. The aim was to ensure that the end product looked like the below image but we did not manage to get it absolutely right.

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-target.jpg

Source - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...ies-img-94.jpg

Here is how the rear door looked post installation of mats with the speaker mounted.
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d5.jpg

The plan was to finish up all doors before damping the plastic door panels. Talking about door panels, is it normal for manufacturers to use hard thermocol for damping and to provide structural rigidity?
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d6.jpg

For all the other doors, we carried out the same exercise:
Remove barrier sheet > IPA wipe down > install mats on inner panel and use the roller > spray hinge wax > install mats on outer panel and use the roller > mount spacers + rain guard > mount speakers > reinstall vapor barrier using butyl tape. It took 4 hours to complete the entire damping + speaker installation work on the door panels.
The only difference between front and rear doors was that the front doors needed to house the GTO 609c components, which meant crossover had to be mounted onto the door panel. Wiring for speakers and tweeters were drawn and heat shrink sleeves were used to cleanly seal joints and connectors.

Front door with damping & crossover
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d7.jpg

Now that all doors were damped, it was time to work on the door panels. It was 6pm and light was fading fast, Suresh used 1 sheet on each of the door panels and focused on damping the top and bottom of the panels. I helped him as best as I could and we quickly rolled the sheets and pressed the edges to ensure that the mats sit tight on the plastic panel surface. Once the doors panels were done, they were quickly mounted and locked in place. I checked the edges to ensure that there were no gaps and operated power window buttons to check that they were working fine. With that done, it was time to move onto the tweeters.

JBL had provided multiple tweeter mounts and Suresh ended up using one of them and a glue gun to mount the tweeters onto the stock panel provided. Since wiring was already in place, tweeters were quickly connected and the tweeter panel was mounted.

Tweeter Mounted onto the OEM panel
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-d8.jpg

It took about 5.5 hours to complete damping & speaker installation and I must say that I am satisfied with the work that Suresh has executed. He was very meticulous when it came to a) applying the damping sheets and rolling them and b) while wiring the crossover and components. He was open to suggestions and did incorporate most of my suggestions when working on door damping. In the end we ended up using 4 sheets for each of the rear doors and 3 sheets each for front doors. Each sheet weights about 1 Kg hence the doors feel a little more heavier

The cabin feels a lot more silent now post damping. I can no longer hear the squeaks and rattles from adjacent vehicles. Diesel clatter from good autos are muted and loud horns are a thing of the past. With music on, NVH is even better as now I can clearly hear the instruments and vocals. I like my music to be neutral and with the EQ set the way I like it, JBL GTOs does a really good job. We tend to listen to a wide range of music - Carnatic, Fusion, Instrumental, 80/90s rock, Post rock etc. hence vocals and mid range clarity were important. The GTOs definetly deliver well balanced music with the carbon fiber cones delivering some decent bass. Overall, I am very happy with the decision to invest in GTOs as they seem to be working well with OEM Harman HU and deliver some decent quality music. Tyre and road noise does continue to seep in and the plan is to damp the floor sometime in the future.
procrj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:35   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Before you order the Celerio Auto dimming IRVM, do get your hands on the windshield IRVM mount that Shashi used. This mount is not included in the Celerio IRVM package, hence needs to be sourced through other means.
Wrong!

Celerio's kit comes with everything you need, mount, glue, mirror everything. It's downside is that the wiring to IRVM will be visible.

Hence I used mount and glue from Celerio's kit(had procured long time ago for my 800), mirror, caps and harness from Baleno to get the perfect install without any demerit.

If anyone wants to go the easiest way then Celerio Kit is the way to go. Second option is sourcing mount from broken windshields of Baleno/S Cross etc and then using Baleno's mirror, caps etc.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Good job on the damping.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 22:04   #49
BHPian

Finally convinced my son (he said it’s better than he had expected, in fact he loved the 3rd row better ) and so ended up paying the booking amount for XL6 Zeta AT White. Delivery is 4-6 weeks from now. Can’t wait to lay my hands on her.
Surprisingly I was offered a dual tone with black top, something I was looking for and planning to do sometime later. They paint it after receiving at the dealer, so it’s not manufactured at the factory as dual tone. I’ve 2 questions regarding this, would appreciate if someone could answer these:
1) Is it legal to color the top with another color as the documents show it as white? The guys at the dealer said it’s ok as long as we don’t change the entire color, I’m not too convinced yet.
2) They say it’s paint and not sticker, the extra charge is 15k, is it worth? Can I get it done cheaper outside elsewhere?

I opted for a spoiler, which they said will also be painted in black. I’ve read reports of corrosion at the screw points, but I saw one XL6 with a spoiler and I found it extremely attractive. Wifey loved it as well, so I couldn’t say no
Opted for Zeta because the extra price of Alpha (72K) didn’t justify the features it provides, only attractive part was the rear camera which I negotiated and will get it free. Auto headlamps are good to have as well, but I can live without it.
Didn’t take the floor mats, but opted for Door Sill guard (non illuminated) and Number plate Garnish. I also chose not to opt for Suzuki Connect, at 10k, I didn’t find it useful for a mostly single driver car.
Can anyone throw some light on claiming NCB from my present car which is at 50% and that would be huge savings on my present car.
B-Taurus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 23:01   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2) They say it’s paint and not sticker, the extra charge is 15k, is it worth? Can I get it done cheaper outside elsewhere?
Boss strictly avoid any kind of painting. Dealer level paint job will never be as good as factory and may cause issues later.
A better solution will be to get the roof vinyl wrapped at a reputed place like 3M and it will be cheaper/cleaner option. For example 3M ranchi quoted ~10k for roof wrap of a friend's Ertiga.

Even I find the OE spoiler attractive but cannot gather courage to drill holes on boot door, specially after seeing what all damage it can do.

Nevertheless congratulations on your booking, Zeta is surely a good buy. Also a word of caution regarding MGA rear camera, lot of people are facing camera failure issues/blue screen and all of them are Zeta owners. Better procure OE Camera from Alpha model(there is a price difference) and install it. Wiring already exists I believe in Zeta, so it will be plug and play.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:52   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
XL6 Zeta AT White. Delivery is 4-6 weeks from now.
Congratulations B-Taurus.
Quote:
Surprisingly I was offered a dual tone with black top, something I was looking for and planning to do sometime later. They paint it after receiving at the dealer, so it’s not manufactured at the factory as dual tone.
+1 to Shashi's comment. Do not opt for dealer painting the car. Black vinyl wrap would be your best bet if you want a black roof.

Quote:
I opted for a spoiler, which they said will also be painted in black.
Even I was tempted to go for a spoiler but then stayed away after reading about rusting and other issues.

Quote:
Can anyone throw some light on claiming NCB from my present car which is at 50% and that would be huge savings on my present car.
You will need to write your current insurer and let them know that you need an NCB certificate, which can share with the new insurer, based on which your premium will be adjusted. If you are:
a) Selling your car to an individual, I would suggest you wait till the RC transfer is completed before you request NCB certificate.
b) Selling it to Cars24 or any such 3rd party, do check their terms around insurance. Cars24 clearly states that the seller will need to take responsiblity for insurance till the time RC is transfered to new owner. There have been cases where people have sold their car to Cars24, and paid for next year insurance as the RC transfer wasnt completed.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:17   #52
BHPian

Checked black vinyl coating on the roof, incl doors (across the windows) and spoiler: 3M quoted approx 18.5k, while one car detailing shop whose details I found on Petes.in quoted around 12.5k. The latter seems to be good as they’re associated to Pete’s and the reviews are fantastic.
Summary is that I’ll NOT go for dealer black paint on roof for sure (thanks for the advice), I’ll go to Petes or 3M after delivery.
Also checked with dealer reg the rear camera and he confirmed that it’s the OEM camera which is used in the Alpha variant. Also spoke to the accessories guy and the guy who actually does the installation and both confirmed that it’s plug and play and no need of wiring or removal of the HU. In any case I’ve told them to do the fixing in front of me and also send me the installation diagram that comes with the camera.
B-Taurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:55   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also checked with dealer reg the rear camera and he confirmed that it’s the OEM camera which is used in the Alpha variant. Also spoke to the accessories guy and the guy who actually does the installation and both confirmed that it’s plug and play and no need of wiring or removal of the HU. In any case I’ve told them to do the fixing in front of me and also send me the installation diagram that comes with the camera.
Yes camera is absolutely plug and play, but it would be wrong to call it camera from Alpha variant. Alpha's camera module costs ~6k IIRC, while the MGA one costs ~4k.

My advice would be to procure MGP one from Alpha and not the MGA one. Even a known dealer chap confirms the MGA one has few issues. Quality of feed is same though.

There have been numerous cases of Blue screen and all of them are Zeta variants as per a comment there. Courtesy: XL6 group on FB

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-img_1_1627663020566.jpg

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-img_1_1627917744450.jpg

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-img_1_1627917783000.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:30   #54
BHPian

Shashi, the camera price shown to me was 6k, so I would assume that it’s from the Alpha. In any case how do I procure MGP one from Alpha and not the MGA one? All I can do is ask the dealer. What other options do I have? Any advice would help.
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:01   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shashi, the camera price shown to me was 6k, so I would assume that it’s from the Alpha.
Please dont assume this as dealers are famous for billing high and providing the lower quality part. Please do ask them to share the part number of the camera they will provide and verify that its the one used in Alpha.

Quote:
In any case how do I procure MGP one from Alpha and not the MGA one?
MGA website OR Essar Auto would be a good bet once you have the part number for Alpha rear camera. I dont have the same handy, maybe Shashi does and he can share.

Quote:
All I can do is ask the dealer.
Which dealer have you booked from?
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:49   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Update - Headlight Adjustment

After a few trips on the highways in the dark, realized that visibility isn't great and was planning on leveling headlights. Finally found a dark corner near my parking space and managed to level headlights.

Here is what I did:

Step 1: Clearly marked the level at which I wanted to set my low beams using the following rules:
a) Headlight leveling switch set to 0.
b) Car parked ~3 feet from the wall.
c) Used a measuring tape to measure the height of the center of the headlights from the floor and mark it on the wall using a tape. Center of the headlights is indicated by a small circular mark on the headlight.
d) Imagined a line from the headlight to the tape to mark the center of the headlight.
e) Did the above for both headlights.

Step 2: Moved the car to ~30 feet from the wall and switched on low beams.

Step 3: Adjusted the hotspot (brightest area of light seen on the wall) to the level marked on the wall
a) Used a star screwdriver to turn the adjustment knob on the headlights.
b) Used the horizontal and vertical adjustment screws provided behind the headlight unit to move the hotspot.

Step 4: Switched to high beam and checked throw. Adjusted vertical height as needed.

Low beam position before adjustment. Had to adjust both horizontally and vertically to to maximize the usable light from low beams.
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-lb-pre.jpg

Low beams after adjusting. Did not take them all the way up to the marked height as I thought they were high enough.
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-lb-post.jpg

High beams after adjustment. I think they are a little too high. Will use vertical adjustment or the leveling switch to lower high beams.
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-hb-post-l0.jpg

Significant improvement in Real world visiblity - Low beam
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-lb.jpg

Significant improvement in Real world visiblity - High beam
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-hb.jpg

While the end result is good, I thing the high beams are a little high and slightly skewed to the right. Will continue to adjust till I find the sweet spot.

Last edited by procrj : 3rd August 2021 at 11:58.
procrj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:54   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shashi, the camera price shown to me was 6k, so I would assume that it’s from the Alpha. In any case how do I procure MGP one from Alpha and not the MGA one? All I can do is ask the dealer. What other options do I have? Any advice would help.
This is the part number and price of MGA camera and costs <4k. : Link (Maruti XL6 : Official Review)

Alpha's Camera module's part number is: 39970M72R00 (Costs Rs. 6,587).

You may place order with Essarr Auto(number given above) for MGP. While taking delivery, match all part numbers of accessories provided since it's an old tactic of dealer to bill higher priced part but provide something else. It ruins their inventory management but they can go to such extents for quick buck.

They tried with me in carpet mats, billed me for 4k one while delivered 2k one. When I objected they first tried to say price has been changed. I told them about batch code process in DMS and they were shocked and asked me if I work for Maruti When they saw there was no way out, they tried to sell me some useless polish etc. At last they had to make new invoice.

During our S Cross purchase I was well aware of their drama so got the seat cover from them which they had "sold" on paper and paid far lesser price.

They almost tried the same thing with BHPian ProcRJ when they quoted him price of some other alloy(grey colored).

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd August 2021 at 13:37. Reason: edited
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 18:20   #58
BHPian

Thanks a ton Shashi for the correct part number. I had called Puneeth as well today and he’s promised to find the correct part number. Had some good arguments with the accessories guy at my dealer today ref the camera(also sent him the blue screen pics which you shared, he gave some illogical reasoning for that). At first he told me that installation at the same place as Alpha is not possible and will be mounted on the bumper, I threatened to cancel the booking and go to a better dealer. Later he agreed that it was some confusion and promised to mount it at the right place. However he still argues that there’s only one part number and the camera which costs ~4K is the one on Alpha as well, I told him that if he can’t find I’ll do it for him and that’s when I saw your msg as a God sent
I’ve sent him the part number and let me see what he has to say.
I’m seriously pissed off with the attitude of these guys.

@Procrj: Sorry, couldn’t respond to your query earlier, got busy. I booked mine at NEXA, Nagarbhavi, relatively closer to my place and also the Ring road offers a good test drive possibility.
B-Taurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 19:14   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I’m seriously pissed off with the attitude of these guys.
Boss they are simply salesmen and care nothing about you or your car. You are one among the hundreds others they deal with on a daily basis, so just don't expect them to pay attention to you or your car.

It will be your car, which is an investment for a few years, so you will have to be vigilant and not simply surrender your fate to them. I was so concerned about all this that I simply dumped all accessories in boot and politely told them that I'll install everything myself. They were happy to be spared of the pain. The less they touch your car, the better state it will be in.

If you see the official review thread, even I was ignorant about the MGA camera and its issues hence I posted there happily. But now that I'm aware of the issues, I should point it out to anyone who is planning for it.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 12:06   #60
BHPian

Shashi, the accessories guy contacted me today after I sent him the Alpha camera part number which you had shared earlier in your post. He shared the pics of both cameras (one clicked on an Alpha vehicle and the other one from a box) and said they are the same, he said even connectors are the same. I told him that it is not about "external appearance", and also if it is the same why there are 2 different part numbers? Finally he asked me to confirm which one I need and I specified the Alpha camera part number and he agreed to place an order. I have clearly told him not to open the box once it arrives and that I need to see the part number on the box and install it in my presence. I asked him the price of this part and he quoted 6990/- incl installation while the price in the accessories list is 4990/- for the camera. I've asked him why there is a price difference if the parts are the "same"? He says price is dependent on the part number, so no specific logic . Now he says it will take time to receive the part and I said I'm in no hurry, worst case I will get it installed later. The battle continues.
B-Taurus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks