Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2007, 18:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Stile 1.6 is 100 PS and not 100 BHP. Or are you talking of Logan 1.6, if any such thing exists there.
That's odd. Because I distinctly remember having read somewhere that the power output of the Stile 1.6 has been raised to 100 bhp. Maybe the source was wrong - one of the car mags.

I was talking about the Stile.
Old 9th May 2007, 18:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I thought that the 2 vents near the 2 front doors always were made to come out with my fingers. Have removed it , cleaned the interiors and put it back many times.
I never knew that it was a feature. I thought it was a bug Sounds so familiar to me...
Old 9th May 2007, 19:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Do we have an engine comparo between the current Indigo's 1.4 petrol and the Logan's 1.4, interms of performance and driveability. Myself being not in India is quite feeling left out.

There are other 1.4's as well from the Aveo and Fiesta. But they seemingly appeal to a different clientele.
Old 10th May 2007, 10:18   #19
BHPian

Very good call, I have test drive of Logan 1.6 fully loaded( though i never felt so).

Tkae my words the car has good heart with cheap body, i was not at all impressed by it boxy looks cost cutting ergonomics the posistion of switches, plastics quality.

All said its a spacious car with good engine, but seriously needs qqulity refinement in appeal , fit and Finish.

cheers!!!
Old 10th May 2007, 15:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

The drive:
Pickup: Fine for a car of its size & weight. It was more or less okay. Didn't see a problem there.
A/C: Mediocre cooling....but plus point is..it doesn't affect the car's performance.
As far as my decision is concerned I have booked a Palio Stile 1.6...which is more powerful (definitely an upgrade on this front), 30 thousands cheaper, fully loaded (comes with all four power windows, alloy wheels..etc) and feels more pricey than the el-cheapo Logan.
Congrats on your Palio1.6. I have a quick question for you.
I drove the Logan Diesel and the palio1.1 (not 1.6) and i noticed that the there was no delay when the a/c was switched on and off in the logan but there was a considerable delay when i did this on the Stile. I havent TD-ed a Stile 1.6 as they did not have it here in Prerana motors showroom in Bangalore. But did you have this problem?

Someone else had a question on the ride of the Logan - i thought it was fairly ok (the diesel was far better feel to drive than the petrol one). In fact in the small inner-ring road section where i drove the deisel - i had some other cars look at the logan at the signal stop - since i had zipped past them during the drive ( one of them was an Optra! )
But am i saying its better than an Optra ! - no way - i wud be crucify myself if i did that.
Old 11th May 2007, 16:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithon View Post
I drove the Logan Diesel and the palio1.1 (not 1.6) and i noticed that the there was no delay when the a/c was switched on and off in the logan but there was a considerable delay when i did this on the Stile. But did you have this problem?
no power loss/ delay whatsoever. that was the first thing i checked out.
Old 11th May 2007, 17:38   #22
BHPian

oh ok. i guess then i need to check out the 1.6 too then.
Thanks and safe driving!
Cheers.
Old 14th May 2007, 18:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

I drove the Petrol Logan today at Asset Automobiles in Kanjurnmarg after missing a movie at Huma. The dealership is next door to the theatre and so I decided to have a look at it. Heres what I thought of it.

Exterior:
Theres nothing special about the exteriors. The "desirability" factor just isnt there when you look at the Logan. The car does look better with alloys but it still doesnt look good. The small headlights dont help the looks of the car and IMO the car doesnt look good from any angle. I didnt look at the build quality of the car and it was probably acceptable at best.

Interior:

The dashboard of the Logan seemed to be of decent quality but the more you sit in it the more you realize that it isnt quite up to the mark. The AC controls are at the bottom of the dash and arent easily accessible. The fact that the centre of the dash slopes inwards doesnt help the accessibility. Space isnt really a problem and I didnt really have a legroom problem or anything. However the car isnt extra spacious or anything. All the hype about it being India's first widebody car isnt really justified. There might be a little extra space but not that much more. As you drive the car cost cutting becoems apparent. Maybe I was looking out for it after reading reviews here but I noticed a few things which can put you off.

1. Turn Signal switch and wiper switches on the wrong side. I turned the wiper on twice during the 2 minute TD

2. No seperate turn signal indicator for left and right. Theres one indicator <-> which blinks when the indicator is on. This becomes a bigger problem when the turn signal switch is on the wrong side.

3. The front power window switches are located on the centre console and the rear power window switches are located just behind the handbrake.

These things arent really that bad but it all adds up. I found the quality of the dash better than an Indica though the cost cutting leaves a bad after taste.

Drive:
Im not sure whether I drove the 1.4 or the 1.6 petrol but the performance was pathetic. In many situations even when I floored her she refused to move forward. You just cant get excited while driving the car. The AC seemed to be cooling all right and the NVH and ride quality all seemed pretty good though the performance of the engine was really crap. I turned back to the dealership as soon as I could and hardly drove for 2 mins. I dont usually do this on TDs but I really wasnt enjoying myself. IMO even my Santro was better to drive.

Conclusion:
I believe the Diesel Logan is the one to go for and since I didnt drive that I dont know if I should really pass a judgement on this car. I however wouldnt ever go for this car. IMO if your on a budget get a swfit or a getz that have interiors are as spacious as the Logan. The Logan isnt exactly cheap and Mahindra forgot to add price cutting along with the cost cutting. A Swift is a LOT more refined and has a lot better feel as compared to the Logan. If however you absolutely must have a boot then maybe you should consider the Logan though you should also remember that theres also the Indigo and the Ikon in the same price range range.

Last edited by khanak : 14th May 2007 at 18:08.
Old 15th May 2007, 00:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

When a person buys a new car...he looks at each and every inch of the body to make sure he is buying a faultless car..no scratches...no dents...it should be perfect..fresh from the factory.... Doesn't matter if he himself bangs the car into a pillar a month later. But if he is paying for a virgin...he will expect a virgin!! (mods can delete this line if found not suitable)

So when I am asked to buy the same car I did a test drive on...what will I do?? I will insist that I should get a fresh piece (fresh from the bakery ). But I am adamantly told that this is not possible. I understand their position..one of the models will get stuck in the showroom forever. Although..some companies have separate cars for tests. But not the one I chose. The car I was to be delivered had a minor dent on the rear bumper (could ve been promptly rectified by the showroom..but their bad luck that I saw it).
Test vehicles are usually abused by the prospective customers and salesmen alike..that is a known fact. When I had taken the car for the test drive..I had noticed that the odo was not working (the wire had been taken out). So I don't know whats the actual reading on the odometer..how much it has been used....and I don't know how many people have tried being Schumacher on it. So when the company refuses to budge...what does a customer do??? He cancels the booking and look somewhere else. Thats exactly what I did. The affair with the Palio is over.

I have now booked the Logan 1.4 GLS. Right from the start there were only two choices for me...The Logan 1.4 and The Palio 1.6. Now that the Palio has been disqualified...The Logan has won the match.
I know its the very same car I rubbished in this very thread...the same car with an anaemic heart and super cheap interiors.

On a second glance, I will have to look on its positive sides now.
The pickup is not that bad...its only when you come on the expressway you feel the need of more power. I cannot compare it with the heart of the Palio 1.6 (THAT will be a SIN ) So in order to make it better...will have to get some modding done. Will start researching soon on what all can be done. A universal air filter should be the first...

The biggest advantage will be space...acres of it!! Then the ride...among the best this side of 6 Lakhs....Plus a boot comes as a bonus!

I will have to make do with the interiors. But have thought of doing something with them as well. Will take help from fellow team bhp members on what can be done. have seen some really cheap cars with great interiors...so there is some hope..

Things like power windows will have to be aftermarket ones (But that is better because OE PW switches are on the center console....aftermarket ones can be fitted on the doors). Gearlock is a must (read that article on 'a car being stolen every two minutes in delhi') Central locking + keyless entry + alloy wheels that came as standard on the stile 1.6 will now have to bought separately. But I will have do this much in order to keep my 'swabhimaan'!!!

The Logan 1.4GLS comes at Rs.40K more than what I was paying for the Palio Stile 1.6. So on a five year loan it won't affect the EMIs that hard. I have booked one in black (was the better colour of the two available....the other was Sahara beige)

Even my family is happy now... when they earlier cribbed on the news of the palio...now they are delighted (what mere hearsay can do to normal people).

To the fellow team members who congratulated on making a wise decision earlier.. I would say that even i am disappointed! (heck!! that salesman was really a nice guy!! never saw a guy declining with such politeness!! i will have to take lessons from him.) Every time a Stile 1.6 flashes its headlights..asking or rather forcing himself for a side...i know what to do....let it pass..and swallow my pride....will have to live with it for the next five years. But I am now okay with it. One day that boy racer in me will die (he has already started showing signs of illness)....and the Logan will start making sense.

One more thing....my earlier car was an Alto...a basic car with no frills...an anaemic engine..and was the best I could get at that price. I have just decided to buy a bigger alto for myself.

Wish me luck for the new innings I am going to start with the Logan (heck i don't even know how it is pronounced!! logun or logaaaan??)
Old 15th May 2007, 00:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

uhhm Ashutosh looks like your hearts set on the Palio. Arent there any other dealers in Delhi NCR? If not why not consider a Swift or a Getz which IMO are MUCH better cars than the Logan. Your paying good money for your car buddy...Why compromise?
Old 15th May 2007, 00:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Do we have an engine comparo between the current Indigo's 1.4 petrol and the Logan's 1.4, interms of performance and driveability. Myself being not in India is quite feeling left out.

There are other 1.4's as well from the Aveo and Fiesta. But they seemingly appeal to a different clientele.
The battle of the 1.4s:

Fiesta Power 80.8 bhp @ 6000 rpm Torque 127 nm @ 4000 rpm

Aveo Power 92.7 bhp @ 5600 rpm Torque 127 nm @ 3600 rpm

Logan Power 75 bhp @ 5500 rpm Torque 107.8 nm @ 3000 rpm

Indigo Power 85 bhp @ 5500 rpm Torque 110 nm @ 3000 rpm

BTW I'm outside the country too!!!

PS: Now I'm beginning to appreciate what the Indigo offered

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th May 2007 at 00:36.
Old 15th May 2007, 02:19   #27
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
To the fellow team members who congratulated on making a wise decision earlier..
I would strongly suggest you reconsider Indigo, Ikon, Esteem for more VFM options...and at similar price range.

If you can forego the boot, then u can look at Swift, Getz.

I dont foresee Logan having a good resale value or lot of demand in used car market...you might be stuck with this for a longer time than 5 yrs you plan.
Old 15th May 2007, 02:57   #28
BHPian

Logically,if you've decided against a Palio 1.6, your next natural choice should be the Swift.Its just 13 horses lesser than Palio 1.6,its a much better car than the Logan,and a much better upgrade.Plus, its a Maruti.You've owned a Maruti,you should know the feeling of owning a maruti.Why buy a car like Logan only to regret at any point of time.If its not worth the big bucks,why do you want it?Just the bigger boot and space advantage?
And to top it all,read your own post and you would know how much you dislike the Logan.
There are other budget sedans as well,but they are really showing their age.

Last edited by roms : 15th May 2007 at 02:58.
Old 15th May 2007, 03:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ ashutoshb -- I have been reading this thread for quite sometime now and i have not yet figured out why you changed your mind from the stile 1.6 to the Logan that you hated at the first look..
IMO the logan seems to have failed to impress people.. Also i doubt that the resale value after 5 years is going to be any impressive.. I have a feeling that this is going to be another Cielo.
There are other cars in the market for the same value..maybe 30G to 40G higher but atleast you will have that VFM feel...
Its your hard earned money..Spend it on what you feel better.. We can only advise you bro.
Personally i feel that instead of spending on mods on making the vehicle faster or making the interiors look good spend that extra amount on another car.And a Min of say 50 grand which i think is the least amount spent on mods..(Leather seats, Mag wheels, Better tires, ICE, engine works).So add this 50G to your existing budget, and buy a better car.
This atleast makes more sense to me!

Godfather
Old 15th May 2007, 09:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

In the last few weeks I've driven almost every car available this side of the five lakh barrier. Some were simply rejected due to their looks (Swift, Indigo...brilliant cars...but i don't like swift's looks and indigo is plain ugly)...some were rejected due to other reasons (like in UVA my left kept banging the centre console..i noticed this the moment i sat in the car...and was irritating me during the whole test drive...imagine driving it for five years.). getz prime 1.1 is surely underpowered and 1.3 plainly overexpensive. As i ve said earlier the final choices (of all the models available) were the logan and palio. And I'm quite okay with the logan's looks. It might be another Cielo...but can be another indica as well. The car has been a hit in another developing countries...and I don't see it failing in India. If you talking about the El-Cheapo factor...there are many cars in India like that and are doing well. Take the Safari (the interiors are way too bad for a 7L+ car), Indigo (the interiors have improved now..but earlier??) for instance. Logan is a fine car.....let's hope for the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks