Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 17:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up

June 24th, 2019: A day of reckoning in my life when I handed over my 8 year old Vento to one of the dealers in Pune. It was not an easy decision; rather it was a decision that had been pondered, discussed, argued and analyzed for nearly 18 months. But I was 100% sure of the final decision - the car wasn't being used at all due to a multitude of reasons and would have been used even more lesser once my Interceptor landed.

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-vento.jpg
Adieu to 8 years of enjoyable ownership

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 24th, 2021: A new decision was being undertaken - a shift to the city of Bangalore (or Bengaluru as it's called these days). The Interceptor had done its job amazing well in the city of Mumbai over the last two years and still made its case as a primary vehicle. But the bee had entered the bonnet. And with another driver in the house now, the car question took a different track.

But certain decisions/ideas had been well absorbed during the past ownership process so the process was well begun even before we started.

Filtering Criteria

a. It made absolutely no sense to pay full dollar for a brand new car. Pre-owned was the way to go.
b. It had to be a fun car. No doubts about it. What's the use of going through the used car market if one could not be choosy!
c. It had to match up the torquey VW tdi engine, AT THE LEAST! Not necessarily a diesel, but there was a benchmark for sure.
d. The better half preferred an SUV over a sedan. No issues with hatchbacks though. Why so? No clear reason! WOMEN, I say! So be it.
e. Having spent a bomb on injectors and other issues, VAG cars with high mileage were to be kept a secondary choice (unless really nothing came up).

Budget was kept vague but under 10lakhs. Obviously, the lesser the better, but anything that fit the above five conditions, was in the list. And top preference to owners over dealers.

The Search

One would think the above would give me a short list. But no, this opened up a can of worms for sure. Every review, every used car option started looking meaty. Bangalore OLX market is a pain in the *** with the dealers literally spamming the 'for sale' ads with multiple ads for the same cars and churning (resharing) the ads every few days so that it comes up top on results. Even the options on Tbhp classifieds were far and few. There was a time when I was looking at every car - even a well maintained 2005 Maruti Esteem

But very soon, a list of cars came up front very clearly.

1. Ford Ecosport
2. Maruti Baleno RS
3. Tata Tiago JTP
4. Ford Figo Tdci
5. VW Polo TSI (or GT TDI)
6. Honda Jazz

and...

7. Maruti S-Cross 1.6

To be honest, the Jazz really didn't fit the criteria but that was one car which both of us were comfortable with and hence in the selection list. A lot many other options did make the cut and were evaluated. For example a few Ford Freestyle (tdci), bhpian's @tarunactivity's immaculate Fiat Linea T-Jet, a near-new Honda WRV still in warranty and a few others.

Thankfully sense prevailed and the above alternatives were discarded from the list. Unfortunately, the availability of cars in my list wasn't doing that great either.

1. A few Ecosport were available but mostly via dealers with huge markups and the odd owner based post got sold within a day or two. One guy I contacted within 24 hours of him putting up the ad replied saying it was already gone!

2. Hardly found any Baleno RS in Bangalore or nearby areas (e.g. Mysore). The only one I found was in Hubli!

3. Same for Tiago JTP. In fact even when I searched nation-wide, I could fine only one search result! How many did Tata sell of these, I wonder!?

4. Figo (Aspire) actually were available in decent number but again dealer-heavy. Found a few owner ads but got no responses. I guess they were already sold by the time I reached out to them.

5. Polo MPI were plenty to go around and the few GTI and TSI I found were ridiculously priced, even those from bhpians (example)! So much that I actually went and looked at a brand new 1.0 TSI and even considered for a while if that would have been a more better option.

6. Ah, Jazz. If I go by olx results, I get the feeling Honda only sold Jazz in Bangalore - so many options I found. And 99% of them from dealers with prices ranging from few lakhs to even till 10L. Couldn't even figure out which one to start evaluating at although this 2018 option from Spinny did look promising. Although I doubt it'll be available for long.

7. Ah S-Cross, the bane of my searches. This one had the top pickings in my list and the worst search results. The market is filled with 1.3 options and numerous 1.3 options fraudulently sold as 1.6 in the ads. Bhpian @Dr.Naren had shared details of a 2015 S-Cross from his whatsapp group that had done some 90k kms but I initially declined stating the higher mileage. But once I started going through the Olx ads, I only found one other option in Bangalore and one in Mangalore. The Bangalore one was priced way too high while the Mangalore option was priced high and with 90k+ mileage (although I did ask a cousin to check it up). I spoke to other ads across Karnataka and Tamil Nadu but found them turning out to be 1.3 options masked as 1.6. Calls to Maruti True Value dealers across Bangalore, Mangalore and Chennai led to no results except them pushing the newer 1.5 options to me instead.

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-olx-error.jpg
An image I had become very familiar to by now

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th August 2021 at 14:19.
ninjatalli is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Silver S-Cross 1.6: A pre-owned fun experiment

The Evaluation

While my search on OLX and other forums continued, I kept digging into the S-Cross review and ownership threads. Two threads really caught my eye - the Pre-worshipped car of the week:S-Cross and Wolf Mods for the S-Cross. While I was no newbie to diesel cars with turbolag, this was a definitely pleasant surprise. As I dug more, my interests in the S-Cross intensified much more as compared to other options.

So I went back to Dr.Naren to inquire if there were any more owners interested in selling. So far the only one was the 2015 90k model, so I finally reached out to the owner; and he shared images and more details.

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210609wa0001.jpg
an aggressive stance from this angle

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210609wa0000.jpg
Rear hatchback-ish look that seriously lacks a strong rear bumper protection

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210630wa0010.jpg
Neat side view - however not at all a fan of that black under cladding, gives a low-end plasticky feel

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210630wa0016.jpg
One of the cleanest & curvy dashboard I have encountered - no extra nooks and corners

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210630wa0008.jpg
Plain-jane frontal view - I actually prefer the slightly more aggressive stance of the 2017 refresh look

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210630wa0011.jpg
Huge bootspace - with the option to further pull down the rear seats easily. The floor padding neatly hides the stepney

Version: Delta 1.6
Registration date: Dec'15
Odometer: 92.5k kms
No. of previous owners: 1
Additional Mods: Wolf Stage 2, projector fogs, Michelin shoes

And after nearly 3 weeks of calls, in-person meets, a long test drive and some extremely short price negotiation discussions, the deal was made.

Reasons for going ahead
  1. Detailed service and maintenance records as well as repairs and warranty claims across all five years of ownership
  2. Extremely well-maintained car - interiors and exteriors. Validated by @tarunactivity and me in person
  3. Owner answered most of my concerns with regards to known and potential/upcoming repairs (e.g. suspension, timing belt)
  4. Bare minimum but necessary mods done - fog lamps, better tires and alloys, the Wolf maps (ensuring absence of any turbo lag)
  5. Timely wear & tear repairs/replacements - regular check-ups & engine oil top-ups, brake pads, wheel balancing, battery replacement, clutch assembly (done in warranty)
  6. NCB of 50% indicating no major accidents (assuming any minor ones were handled without insurance claims)

The Michelin tires were about mid-life, with probably another 10k - 20k kms life in them and the battery had been recently replaced and was still in warranty. The clutch setup was changed around the 50k km mark (apparently the service center had pushed for it) plus I didn't find any issue with it. Overall, there wasn't a lot to be worried about. Most important of all were the conversations with the owner - his openness and meticulous documentation (something I do too) gave me confidence in the deal.

There were a few 'issues' which he highlighted upfront - there was a bump on the rear panel which was quite visible (but thankfully no paint dents) due to a biker hitting the car. The front right headlight had a crack but the glass was holding. There were some ugly whitish drop marks on the roof which he couldn't explained clearly (possibly some paint marks?). But otherwise the car was in good shape and I couldn't really find any problems.

A week later I confirmed the sale, transferred a token amount and called it a done deal. Over the next weekend, he handed over both car keys, the full file of documentation (including RC, all original receipts, service & maintenance records, warranty cards, loan clearance NOC, etc.) and transfer of ownership forms (form 29 & 30) while I transferred the remaining amount. A nice unexpected gesture on his part - he had got us sweets to celebrate the new purchase We initiated the transfer of ownership the same evening and the car was finally transferred to our name after ~3 weeks.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th August 2021 at 14:25.
ninjatalli is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 03:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The One Month Update

Report of a ~1300km drive across Karnataka - what worked well, what didn't, what needs to improve

The S-Cross purchase timelines fit in perfectly with regards to a long weekend ride to the wife's hometown that was planned around a week from the purchase date. Prior to this, we had obtained a friend's Figo for the trip but now it was a no-brainer to take the S-Cross instead and be a bit more adventurous with our travel plan. The car was in great shape with a recent check done, brake pads changed and a few other updates. Booked a check-up with a Maruti service center close by and we went ahead looking to tweak our plan to use the S-Cross to the best case possible.

And that we did for sure and had a blast!

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-pxl_20210722_101820371.jpg
Have to appreciate the simplicity of minimal badges & logos on the rear - but alas that boring rear view!

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-20210722_075018.jpg
A good set of alloys (like these MSWs) brings out the stance of the car

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-20210721_082806.jpg
Rear side angled view that gives a better idea of the length of the car (compared to the adjacent Creta)

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-pxl_20210723_061029845.jpg
Front side angled view that gives the best stance of the car

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-pxl_20210723_052317178.jpg
is it an Ignis? Or an WagonR? Or the S-Cross?

Details of the trip have been documented in detail on a different travelogue thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having owned the car for about a month and driven a decent amount through Bangalore traffic as well as a mix of highways and mountain ghats, here's a few notes that seem right now to share with the larger group. Of course, some of these are bound to change as the car ages further.

What worked well
1. The Sheer Power
Both of us loved the power output on NH48 highway from Bangalore to Hiriyur with minimal traffic seen on a weekday. The car feels perfect on national highways/expressways with immense power available even when one crosses into the 3-digit speed. Initially I had apprehensions of not having the cruise control (pains of having the lower Delta version), but even on empty roads (ideal scenario for cruise control), we didn't see a need for it.

2. The Suspension
My biggest concern throughout the pre-purchase evaluation was the suspension condition of the car. Although we had done a long ~20 km test drive back then, we found the suspension quite good. But this trip was going to be the proper litmus test as we planned to go over various terrains. And on the highways as well as rural roads with the occasional pothole or even on road-less trails, the S-Cross came out with flying colors, especially for a car with 92k kms on the odometer!

3. The Riding
Mature ride and handling, both on highways as well as the interior roads as well as the ghat curves. Whatever the roads threw at us, the car took it in it's stride. The brake pads were new (having been replaced just a few months ago) and the braking was top-notch, giving us full confidence.

4. The Interiors
For a ~6 year old car, the interiors, although basic, felt quite good. Thankfully the previous owner hadn't gone filling up the interiors, keeping it pretty much stock as much as possible (although we removed the god idol ) and the car looked and felt as good as it might have on day one.

5. The Wolf Mods
There is no lag. Lemme say this again - absolutely minimal/no lag! It's been over a month and over 1500 kms but still I can't get over this delightful fact.

6. The third gear. And the fourth gear. And the fifth gear.
Not sure if the stock car has the same benefit or it's due to the wolf mods, but the 3rd, 4th & 5th gears are extremely versatile covering a wide range of kmph. A lot of the time I never even could figure out which gear I was in without looking at the gear stick. Ironically, the 6th was the least used on this trip (lol).

What didn't feel right
1. Low seats
Unfortunately having the lower variant, we didn't have upward/downward seat movement; both of us would have preferred an increase of ~2inches at least. No visibility on any solutions for now, need to dig further to understand what options we can avail.

2. Poor stock headlights
My Vento stock headlights were kind of weak, requiring me to shift to HIDs within a year. But those stock bulbs were still great compared to S-Cross's stock headlights. Surprisingly the previous owner has driven 92k kms over 5+ years without having the need to upgrade the headlights. The projector fogs the previous owner installed really didn't solve the basic problem. Have purchased a pair of better Philips bulbs, so this is getting sorted as early as possible.

3. The rear look
From the rear this looks like a cross between an Ignis & WagonR (refer to last image shared above). Nothing against either of these hatchbacks, but yuck! Why couldn't they keep it simpler instead of this current view

4. The clutch
Well, I knew this from the start. Having lived with a Vento tdi for 8+ years, you'd think I was okay with diesel clutches. But still I wish Maruti had launched 1.6 automatic versions back in 2015 And having driven a petrol Figo prior to driving this, the difference was even more starkly noticeable. The saving grace - it was a pain only when in Bangalore traffic.

5. Body roll
This is something I experienced during our initial ~20km test ride when I sat in the back to 'test' the rear seats. There is a noticeable body roll, which surprisingly is absent when we sit in the front seat. Haven't had a chance to figure this out again, so this has to be evaluated more in detail.

6. The bulky A-pillars
They are quite the problem when arriving at busy junctions. Coupled with the slightly lower seat positions, at times this proved to be a big hinderance to keep track of vehicles that are coming from both sides.

What can be improved
1. Front look
I need to change that chromish grill at the front. Got to know of a few aftermarket black grill options, so that's one thing I'm going to change once I get time

2. Stock headlights
Yup, this one is already on the cards. With the bulbs already purchased, I'll be changing them with the next service (PMS 100).

3. Music setup
The stock speakers are utter crap. The previous owner definitely wasn't an audiohead - dunno how he survived on these for the last 6 years. I'm still on the fence with regards to the HU (Pioneer 5290 & JVC 740 come to mind), but the speakers are definitely undergoing an upgrade. (Note: Noob alert, need to reach out to the experts for advice!)

4. A bike rack
Utterly divided on this - on one hand, with our riding habits, it makes perfect sense to get one. But then the absurd rules of Bangalore police to fine cars that will fine any cars with protruding cycle (/tires) beyond the car width is not an easy point to forget. So far we have been able to fit one single cycle inside the car with the rear seats folded, but a rack would be the much better option.

5. Wipers & window beadings
Both make noise when used over long periods (of driving). Probably more of a cause of wear & tear than anything else.

6. A rear wiper
This is much required, especially when going on such trips during the monsoon. Need to check with MASS if they provide this as an accessory.

7. The ugly marks on the roof
It's a pain to look at. Need to figure out a body shop in Bangalore to get this rectified at the earliest. If anyone has reliable shop suggestions, do direct me towards them.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th August 2021 at 15:42.
ninjatalli is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-owned SCross - The Smaller yet significant points

The Case for a Pre-owned SCross 1.6

1. Support system: A big big vote of thanks to @Dr.Naren, @tarunactivity, @benzinblut for providing all the assistance/guidance/support through the entire evaluation process. And numerous S-Cross thread owners who gave me a fair perspective of what I'm getting into. Having such a strong support system on this forum makes a very strong case for considering this car vs the wide choice of vehicles in the market.

2. The 1.6 vs 1.3 fiasco on OLX: if anyone reading this thread is looking at purchasing a pre-owned 1.6 going forward, keep a watch out for the 'fake' 1.3 S-Cross versions falsely calling themselves as 1.6 versions. Three things to look for - 1.6 badge at the rear, 6 gear stick (1.3 only has 5 gears), and the silver railings at the top of the car. If anyone is doing this, give me a holler and I'll chip in with whatever help I can provide.

3. The owner vs dealer conundrum: 1.6 options are rare in the market. Heck only about 4000 were sold by Maruti. So while an owner option any day would be better than a dealer option, finding one in the market is going to be tough. So set your expectations accordingly. Evaluate each and every option you get to be honest.

4. The case for pre-owned cars with >80k kms. Usually a heavily frowned upon segment on tbhp (and outside too). This took a while to digest, especially with the 'be cautious' feedback I received from all. It's way too early to celebrate, but so far the outlook has been positive. I infact expected to spend nearly 1Lac on the car since the transfer was done, but so far it's been holding up quite well without any expenses from my end. But that was more than just luck; it came out of the checks on the previous ownership - service records, maintenance records, warranty claims, insurance claims; matching them against the service maintenance manual, asking the right questions. Trust your instincts but do your homework. Walkaway when things don't add up.

5. Aaand the mod potential. Not that the stock is any bad, but do consider what is possible with the 1.6. Need I say anymore? As for my own car, nothing immediate planned, but maybe a few hardware changes in the latter part of the year.
My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-screenshot_20210809112639__01.jpg
courtesy of @Dr.Naren

A few other things on my mind...

6. Transmission oil (change) to be checked/considered? On the return drive back home, gear shifting (primarily to 5th & 6th gears) was slipping. Didn't experience this on the lower gears so not 100% sure if this is really a problem. Haven't taken the car on a long highway drive yet, so this is something I need to evaluate going forward.

7. Suspension repairs - The car felt fine across all the rides, but the last service (PMS90) has the remarks 'drive shaft boot RHS, link road, lower arm needs to be replaced'. Initial checks validated no immediate need to change, but this is something I plan on (checked &) getting done in the next service.

8. The badges at the rear seem un-necessary. Happy to get a vote on if I need to retain the 'DDiS' and '1.6' badges (my current view - not needed). Something that I'll eventually take a call later.

9. One 'downside' of having this gem of a car is now the wife is more interested in driving it than I'd want her to. All trips have to be discussed in advance - who will drive the car There are already plans of the car being taken for hometown trips (irrespective whether I join in!)

10. When I embarked on this iteration of car ownership, the plan was clear - buy a pre-owned car and maintain it for ~2 years. Hopefully by then the EVs become more mainstream and it'll be easy to switch to one. Meanwhile for now, pick a enthusiasts'' car that offers the perfect mix of driving pleasure for the occasional trip and the joy of not riding one of those boring hatchbacks. So far the S-Cross has easily done that and so much more. So much that it's going to be interesting when we get to that 2-year ownership mark

--------------------------------------------------

So on that 'positive' note, I'll just add one final quote from the delightful words of Robert Frost

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-20210721_105217.jpg
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th August 2021 at 16:02.
ninjatalli is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 04:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 05:20   #6
BHPian

re: My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up

Congrats on the old new car!

Only a 1.6 DDiS diesel can replace the 1.6 TDI. Please do include some side-by-side comparison on these two engines. I’ve always wondered about that ever since I came to know the potency of the Suzuki mill.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 07:27   #7
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned SCross - The Smaller yet significant points

Congratulations on your pre-worshipped S-Cross!
Wishing you safe million drives and endless enjoyment with 1.6L mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The 1.6 vs 1.3 fiasco on OLX: if anyone reading this thread is looking at purchasing a pre-owned 1.6 going forward, keep a watch out for the 'fake' 1.3 S-Cross versions falsely calling themselves as 1.6 versions. Three things to look for - 1.6 badge at the rear, 6 gear stick (1.3 only has 5 gears), and the silver railings at the top of the car. If anyone is doing this, give me a holler and I'll chip in with whatever help I can provide.
In 2019 we experienced the same, used car dealers where marketing 1.3 as 1.6 possibly for higher valuation, got them to check the RC on call to verify the engine displacement which always stated 1.3.
GautamJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 07:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The One Month Update

Congratulations on the S-Cross 1.6. S-Cross 1.6 is indeed a lovely car and quite rare to find in the used car market as you mentioned. However, if one finds a clean example, it makes a great sense to buy it.

Quote:
One of the cleanest & curvy dashboard I have encountered - no extra nooks and corners
Totally agree. When I once test drove a new S-Cross, I really liked the dashboard. It is simple and elegant - not too jazzy - and has everything in the right place and offers a nice and clean view from the driver's seat. I also like the instrument cluster. Again nice and elegant with clean and symmetrical dials.

Quote:
Report of a ~1300km drive across Karnataka
Lovely trip and a great report. S-Cross 1.6 is a perfect car for touring the country. Great for long distance trips and bad roads. Wish you many more happy miles with this car.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 12th August 2021 at 07:54.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 18:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Congrats on the old new car!

Only a 1.6 DDiS diesel can replace the 1.6 TDI. Please do include some side-by-side comparison on these two engines. I’ve always wondered about that ever since I came to know the potency of the Suzuki mill.
Official stats

Vento 1.6 TDI: 104 BHP / 250 NM
S-Cross 1.6 DDiS: 118 BHP / 320 NM

(S-Cross with wolf stage 2 maps & no hardware changes was shown to reach 165 BHP / 428 NM; although not tested on my stage 2 mapped car)

On-road feedback

Vento had a very good acceleration pull at ~1800 rpm and gives a strong acceleration pull till ~3900 rpm which would go till around decent 3-digit (~160kmph) speeds seamlessly IIRC. After that the acceleration rate reduces a lot and it would be a slow increase. At lower rpms, there is a clearly noticeable lag but which is manageable, even in back-to-back traffic.

I haven't driven the stock S-Cross, so I don't know what's the experience like. But this car doesn't have any lag at all, thanks to the remap. I have been able to effortlessly take it to similar 3-digit figures with still a lot of power on tap, and the rpm not even beyond 3500. Haven't had a chance/need to push even beyond that.

A much better indication is the feedback from my wife's driving who's never driven diesels before. I had to explain the concept of turbo-lag to her, there wasn't much of an experience on this car

The only negative point (for S-Cross) is the 'instant rush' at ~2000 rpm I would get on the Vento. I guess the stock S-Cross might have that too, but here it's a more linear-ish acceleration.

Hope that helps.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 09:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, @Ninjatalli, on going with your heart. I remember you were debating between an almost new WRV and this option and many would have advised you not to consider this "remapped" option.Yes, it is a gamble to go in for a car that has sold less, an engine in which some issues were reported, but make no mistake - this is the only Maruti Suzuki other than the Swift that appeals to spirited drivers; plus it is built like a tank. For me, @Dr.Naren and @Laluks are the two reference points for the S-Cross.

Quote:
- Owner answered most of my concerns with regards to known and potential/upcoming repairs (e.g. suspension, timing belt)
- Most important of all were the conversations with the owner - his openness and meticulous documentation (something I do too) gave me confidence in the deal.
I attach a lot of importance to this aspect. However, while I fit the above to the T as a seller, I haven't come across a single seller of this kind this far.

Quote:
- 2015 90k model
- Detailed service and maintenance records as well as repairs and warranty claims across all five years of ownership
- NCB of 50% indicating no major accidents (assuming any minor ones were handled without insurance claims
The 92.5k kms on the odo is hardly anything for a good diesel motor. The detailed maintenance records plus the 50% NCB is more than reassuring. The green Certified Non Polluting Vehicle sticker on the front windscreen is an important tell-tale indicator on a used car. Windscreens are typically replaced either due to damage OR due to excessive swirl marks. I hope your car's offers clear visibility in nights.

Quote:
- Low seats - both of us would have preferred an increase of ~2inches at least.

- Music setup - The stock speakers are utter crap

- Wipers & window beadings - Both make noise when used over long periods (of driving). Probably more of a cause of wear & tear than anything else.

- A rear wiper

- gear shifting (primarily to 5th & 6th gears) was slipping.
1. Low seats - just use a cuboidal cushion and you'll be fine. I was using one on the Corolla because I felt I was sitting low even at the highest position of the seat after adjustment.

2. Music set up - just put in component speakers (budget and brand is your choice) in the front and rear and experience the difference. Later, if you really feel the need, go for a new Head Unit.

3. Wiper noise - replace the blades with MGP blades. DO NOT go with Bosch.

4. Window beading noise - use Wuerth rubber spray in the window channels and see the difference. You can also get the channels removed, cleaned and refitted and then do the rubber spray treatment.

5. Rear wiper - I've maintained that this is a must have on a hatchback or SUV. S-Cross Delta started featuring this after the facelift, but I think you won't be able to retrofit one because the rear glass needs a change first. An option is to drill a hole in the boot lid and retrofit a Celerio or Wagon R's unit. I think Maruti would have provided the wiring harness till the rear since Zeta and Alpha of then used to sport the rear wiper.

6. Gear shifting slip - cause of concern. Are you saying it slips out after you slot the lever in 5 or 6?

Last edited by vigsom : 13th August 2021 at 09:28.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 09:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!! I am sure you are enjoying the pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6.

I have said this couple of times before, let me repeat it again. S-Cross 1.6 is one of the best VFM buy for an enthusiast. Spend 6-7 lakhs on the car and another 2-3 lakhs on mods, you have a proper 200+ HP build which can outperform any stock car on sale today below 40 lakhs

Quote:
The badges at the rear seem un-necessary. Happy to get a vote on if I need to retain the 'DDiS' and '1.6' badges (my current view - not needed). Something that I'll eventually take a call later.
I have removed the badges and loving the clean look. It's a humble 1.3 DDIS 90 HP at first sight

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img_20210809_160044.jpg

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img_20210809_160032.jpg

Quote:
The only negative point (for S-Cross) is the 'instant rush' at ~2000 rpm I would get on the Vento. I guess the stock S-Cross might have that too, but here it's a more linear-ish acceleration.
Thanks to the Wolf remap, the sudden kick is not present. As the low end is increased and power delivery is linear with Wolf, the kick is almost non existent. Turbo Kick might feel addictive, but the linear power delivery makes the car actually faster and more driveable too. Heck, even my stage 3 tuned 1.6 doesn't have mad kick like stock.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th August 2021 at 09:56.
Dr.Naren is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 10:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Official stats

I haven't driven the stock S-Cross, so I don't know what's the experience like. But this car doesn't have any lag at all, thanks to the remap. I have been able to effortlessly take it to similar 3-digit figures with still a lot of power on tap, and the rpm not even beyond 3500. Haven't had a chance/need to push even beyond that.
@Ninjatalli : Congratulations!
We did pick up a pre-worshipped 1.6 in 2019 for my 'Boss' and have been on a few trips with the car. It is definitely a highway cruiser and does illegal speeds in no time.
However, mine's still stock and am in conversation with Wolf Moto for a remap soon.
Take it from me, the stock motor turbo lag is hideous, and frustrating on ghat roads. I had a torrid time navigating Kerala windies.

Thanks for your feedback on Wolf remap. I rest further assured.

BTW, we picked our Brownie up with 30k on theclock
Attached Thumbnails
My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img_20200314_113410.jpg  

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 13th August 2021 at 10:51. Reason: Added Car Image to the post
aqualeo2040 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 13:07   #13
BHPian

Re: My Silver S-Cross 1.6: A pre-owned fun experiment

Congratulation on bringing home a special car. The car you got has all the major issues sorted out. Great buy!

Quote:
Additional Mods: Wolf Stage 2, projector fogs, Michelin shoes
What else could you ask for? Its got good looking alloys in place of the hideous OEM ones.

Quote:
5. Body roll
This is something I experienced during our initial ~20km test ride when I sat in the back to 'test' the rear seats. There is a noticeable body roll, which surprisingly is absent when we sit in the front seat. Haven't had a chance to figure this out again, so this has to be evaluated more in detail.
I never noticed this. But I've spent very little time at the back

Wishing you many happy miles with a super star.

Here's my car. Also pre-worshipped. Enjoyging every moment with it!
My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-20210810_095548.jpg
benzinblut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The Case for a Pre-owned SCross 1.6
2. The 1.6 vs 1.3 fiasco on OLX: if anyone reading this thread is looking at purchasing a pre-owned 1.6 going forward, keep a watch out for the 'fake' 1.3 S-Cross versions falsely calling themselves as 1.6 versions. Three things to look for - 1.6 badge at the rear, 6 gear stick (1.3 only has 5 gears), and the silver railings at the top of the car. If anyone is doing this, give me a holler and I'll chip in with whatever help I can provide.
Congrats on the S-Cross ninjatalli ... As someone who is currently in the market for the same car, i do have faced the same issue with OLX ads. Badge, gear stick and verifying the registration on CarInfo App has helped. Could not conclude a right deal yet but still hoping to own one.

If you never mind, could you please PM me what is the price you have paid?

Last edited by niceguisuku : 13th August 2021 at 16:20. Reason: Quote came wrong
Old 13th August 2021, 18:14   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed write-up. I am on the fence about getting an S-Cross 1.6. Have come across a clean example which has run around 27,000 kms and it's a genuine 1.6 (saw a couple of fakes too) but this is the Delta variant which means there's no touchscreen, no CC, no projectors and I think no alloys as well. Touchscreen and alloys can be sorted but I've heard not-so-good things about the stock halogens and all in all, would need to spend around a lakh over the purchase price to get these bare basics installed. The asking price is 7.45 which can be brought down but not sure what's a fair price.

But this is still secondary, I'm planning to take the car for a longish test drive to see whether I like that clutch or not. My Honda City has a very light clutch and it's a boon. In fact my City is fast enough for the city (pun not intended) but the S-Cross' engine has a lot more tuning potential (almost 320d numbers) which is what's tempting me.

What's the service interval, standard 1 year? What kind of driving range are you getting on a full tank?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks