Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 15:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Going to our homepage today . You really know how to write, man. It's a gift.
What a smashing welcome gift! My first post goes to homepage...Ha...Ha,Ha!! I shall be seen strutting across the forums flaunting my glory

Thanks for the compliment on the writing bit, honestly some of the awesome reviews that I read, set the bar so high that I gave up...but glad you liked it.

Quote:
Love the new design language of Volvo, especially what they have done with their cross-overs. And the black interiors looks great.
Can't agree more! they are killing it in terms of design. The black is indeed lovely, I am a bit worried about maintaining them.

Quote:
To dear gismosin the vampire from a volvo vampire fan. Hearty congratulations on selecting not only a first class car but also a top brand. My experience with Volvo, thus far, 7th year running, has been very good on after sales service, reliability of the machine and reasonableness of maintenance costs. Infact I am watching the V40s electric equivalent carefully as a potential next buy in 3 years after battery ranges improve a bit. I wish you many happy miles of volvo vampiring :-) Cheers.
It is an absolute privilege and pleasure hearing from you! As I mentioned in my review and also in my application to join is that your post gave me confidence to go with this brand. Feedback is relatively less for Volvo and your comprehensive review has helped me a lot. So thank you! You are one of the reasons I could buy a Volvo.

Quote:
I own your car’s bigger brother and younger sister i.e. XC60 and V40. You will have low maintenance bills compared to the germans! Word of advice: Be a bit firm with the after sales from the beginning. Do go for the extended warranty without thought! Surprisingly my engine mount gave out at 65k kms. Also my dealer was refusing to counter sell parts and only did after I threatened him with a law suit.
Wow! you own two Volvo's. Now I know who to go and trouble if I am in need of advice! Thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Volvo's clean lines make it so much better looking than Q3 , X1 and GLA.
I agree, handsome looking fella! isn't he? Just like me.

Quote:
There aren't many XC40 reviews out there, so your review along with the unique writing style is like a breath of fresh air!
Thank you! That was one reason that motivated me to write the review, if someone is considering the car I hope my review can help them.

Quote:
BTW, did you get a chance to check out the BMW X1 tech edition also, which is supposedly offering a few more tech-goodies?
I had already made up my mind and booked the car by the time this edition came out. But even now I would not go for it. The ex-showroom price of the tech edition is almost equal to the on road price of the Volvo XC40 and what does it got to show for? nothing much, really.

Quote:
Congrats on a great VFM car which is also lighter on the pocket for regular services (considering the words of the SA on regular servicing)
Thanks! I am glad to hear it's lighter on the pocket on maintenance as well.

Quote:
Volvo has been nailing the safety game with a great bang for buck. The white colour, although you pointed looked boring, looked amazing in the pictures.
Yep, safety is uncompromising. The most important in the car are the people inside it. They are not replaceable. The car is. The White on the test drive looked like Indica cab white (suspect a re-painting job) but on the actual car it was a metallic white shade, really good looking.

Quote:
How is high speed stability and the general ride?
Did not get a chance to push it beyond the 100 KMPH mark but, ride is really stable. Has some body roll but always felt surefooted.

Quote:
A call out is that if you have Pirelli tyres, they are very sensitive to pot holes. Have had to replace 3 tyres due to tyre bulges/ sidewall damage.
Ouch, that's quite a few replacements. Mine come with Michelin, hopefully they are better.

Quote:
Am eagerly waiting for the XC40 Recharge, if its priced reasonably.
Yeah, I would hold off on electric until it becomes mainstream. But, the recharge looks great too.

Quote:
He is neither a car nor a features guy, but the Volvo guys left quite an impression on him. Sadly, they did not go in for the S60 at the end
Yep, the competition is tough and the Germans offer great products as well. Especially if you move beyond entry level and Volvo does not give you the same bragging rights as the others. It depends on what you expect from that product and that changes by each individual. I am sure he is happy with the choice he made.
gismosin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 20:54   #17
BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the Volvo club!

Your car is the most practical Volvo right now and winner of multiple awards worldwide including ECOTY.

If you haven't read it already, check this out;

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...40/2019/awards

You can't go wrong with this one.

Quote:
Volvo sales mentioned that was because of some tie-ups they had with insurance companies and Volvo's have lower insurance premium (no way to verify that)
Volvos, by virtue of their active safety tech, have lesser insurance premiums. You have to be really committed or careless to crash these cars.

Quote:
The bonnet opening is on the passenger side. Come on Volvo! Do proper customization for the regions.
  • They should figure this out by now. It is indeed irritating (and sometimes embarrassing) to have to walk out to do something simple as releasing the bonnet.

• The rest of the deleted features are the ones you are not going to miss at all, save for the under-seat storage.

• Be proud that your car has the entire safety suite of its' more bigger brothers.

• Lucky you to get to book it before prices were hiked. Good on the sales team to keep to their commitment.

• The dent on your car was to keep out all the bad ' shagun' from jealous eyes. Now that its' gone, no worries.

Thanks for a wonderful review. It was a delight to read and unique as this is the only XC 40 ownership review here.

Here's wishing you a wonderful 10 years and more of ownership experience. Will be looking forward to your regular updates over the years.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 20:56   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on the new Volvo mate, Looks stunning in the pictures!
When even white looks so special in pictures, it only makes me wonder what other colors would have been like.! The best part about the front end should definitely be the Thor's hammer DRL's.

Happy motoring and to many more safe miles!
TN20CQ5187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 21:08   #19

Welcome to the Volvo Club!
I picked up a used XC90 R-Design T8 here in Canada a few months back and went through the same process as yourself of nit picking through the German brands before landing on a Volvo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismosin View Post

Some misses & Nit-picks

[list][*]Sunglasses are left homeless. With all the clever little designs they could not think about sunglasses? no wonder every Volvo XC40 ad had people wearing them, not because they look cool. But because they have nowhere to put them. I finally plonked mine in the door storage down below. My sunglasses behave like they have been moved from penthouse to below poverty line housing, these sunglasses I swear! such drama queen!

[/left]
The sunglasses was an issue I had too as my previous Mazda had a sunglass holder and I was super used to it.

What I did find was that there is an accessory to replace the grab handle on the driver side with a sunglass holder. It was stupidly expensive here in Canada so I ended up ordering one from amazon.ca.

Volvo Part:
https://www.volvooftorontoparts.ca/p...IaAviZEALw_wcB

Amazon Chinese Part:
https://www.amazon.ca/LFOTPP-Sunglas...e%2C167&sr=8-2

Still haven't installed the part yet as the bolts need to be changed. The original bolts have a washer collar which wont fit on the sunglass holder.
anirudh_verma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 21:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidg View Post
Congratulations of the purchase. Always loved Volvo's Thor's hammer looking singature LED DRLs.

This because TCS rate upto 31.03.2021 was 0.75% as per Economic Stimulus package announced by FM in May-2020 in view of Covid-19 outbreak. From 01.04.2021, it stands at 1% again.
Ah I get it now. I Did not observe the dates on the quotes before .The difference makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation though
callmeneo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:43   #21
BHPian

Ah killer of a car you got there mate! Huge congratulations and welcome to the Volvo club. I hoped my ownership thread helped you remotely, please tell me it did!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...s-country.html (Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country)

There is something about their cars that make you a sane driver. The reassurance in every drive is unmatched. Wish you many many years with this beauty of a car. It would take you and your family places and make you long for more drives. Good luck!

PS - Taking a test drive of the big brother XC60 this week for wifey who isn't batting an eye on other cars. Not sure if we will pull the trigger yet but will be on top of my list and might decide to wait for the upcoming petrol version.

Last edited by vjbox : 11th August 2021 at 23:12.
vjbox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:20   #22
BHPian

Amazing car and a great write up. The Swedes are so underrated but the engineering pedigree of the Scandinavians match the Germans pound for pound; punching way above their weight.

From a safety perspective, I think Volvo designed the 3 point seat belt and gave the design to other car makers for free and I assume they continue to be amongst the best when it comes to safety. Happy driving.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 10:24   #23
BHPian

That was a great write-up and filled with humour at the right places. This is the first review on a Volvo that I have read and I find it quite interesting. Thank you and please keep on writing. Happy driving, too.
sureshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 18:53   #24
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase and glad the the dealership experience at Hyderabad was to your liking.

I had the strangest experience at Volvo, Banjara Hills Rd No 12, sometime in 2017-18; I went there around 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday - the showroom was open but there wasn't even one sales person or front desk person to be seen anywhere. I spent close to 20 minutes there, sat in a V40 and an XC60 that were on display. Went in through the front door, came out through the side door, walked up to the mezzanine level where they had some accessories on display, still not a soul in sight.

Finally I came out, reversed my car out of the parking lot and met a security guard who was equally uninterested. When I asked him if the showroom was closed, he told me that it seems everyone has gone for lunch, but he wasn't sure either.

Also, on your apprehension on the resale value of the XC40, it seems this is one model from Volvo that has been holding its own in terms of resale value. I think the old S60 and S90s depreciated significantly, but the post 2016 XC60s and 90s are still holding pretty strong. XC40 is very rare in the used market and I think the owners are generally holding on to it for longer.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 21:40   #25

What a wonderful write up and many congratulations on your new ride! Volvo makes some fantastic cars, as my XC60, brought home in April from the showroom, will confirm. Makes me a happy camper the moment I set foot into the car and sink into those nappa leather seats.

Wishing you many miles of happy motoring!
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-9c3b62ea85a0469d92e29dc38a5a014a.jpeg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-cc7812ffec4549be985253cb26dd5c46.jpeg  

PaneristiHobbes is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 22:26   #26
BHPian

Congratulations.

The first thing you need to do is to get the yellow keyfob made usable as a regular keyfob. Like the black one.

Thank me later😉
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 22:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post

Volvos, by virtue of their active safety tech, have lesser insurance premiums.

In India? I doubt that. I think that in India the premium is based only on the idv.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 23:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
In India? I doubt that. I think that in India the premium is based only on the idv.
Perhaps.
My car was quoted 30k lesser than those seen in offers from the equivalent BMW 320D and Audi A4 2.0 TDI in 2011. Sales team had mentioned that Volvos have lesser insurance premiums.
Old 12th August 2021, 23:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Congratulations.

The first thing you need to do is to get the yellow keyfob made usable as a regular keyfob. Like the black one.

Thank me later😉
Hi… can you get that done from the dealer? Any charges?

Thanks!
Old 13th August 2021, 01:29   #30

That was a great read. Almost similar to the kind of experience I had before I settled on my baby all of 2 years now -the XC40 R-Design. Of course the diesel 4WD version.
Loved the detail and the experiences thrown in.
Couple of points to reassure you-
- the services done annually are very reasonable.
- so is the insurance premiums post the first year
- I had to change my windshield due to a hurtling stone that came off the rear wheels of a truck ahead of me- thankfully insurance took care of it... Was very relieved.
- customer service has been by and large excellent.

Like I said my baby is 2 years now and although I haven't managed to take her out as much I would have liked to, I have done a few trips from Bangalore to Mumbai, Mumbai-Goa, Bangalore- Kochi.
And these fibres have been just phenomenal every leg of the way.

The only additional thing I have done to make my baby look even classier than she already is, I imported the Swedish flag which can be placed on the side of the bonnet, exactly like on the few limited edition cars that were released during the global launch.
Just adds that extra oomph factor... If you know what I mean.
You should definitely do this.

Congratulations on your baby and wish you the very best of miles ahead.
Peace out.

Jamie
jamesmani is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed