Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 20:11   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 325 Times
Default One year ago!!

Time flies when you are having fun!

It's been one year since I got this baby Volvo home, I still remember the apprehensions I had when buying this car and the amount of research and reviews I went through would have qualified me to get a P.hD from YouTube university.

Now with one year of ownership I can confidently say, I am quite happy with my choice. I have driven around 8,700 K.M this last one year, lesser than I liked. But those Kilometers were enjoyable, trouble free and full of memories, exactly what you expect from your purchase of good old four wheels.

Also, Volvo send out this little note, nice little gesture to celebrate this occasion. Nice touch, the message is as understated as the brand.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-volvo.jpg

So, my thoughts from the last one year with the car

Pro:
  • Great buy, feature rich car. Especially ADAS. Now, XUV700 revolutionized this and pushed it in to mainstream. While Autonomous driving is not for your regular highways (But if you have an expressway in your neighborhood, then knock yourself out) However, adaptive cruise control is a blessing on longer drives
  • Segment best for now when compared to hatchback-ish looking GLA with an under-powered engine (Petrol) and an outdated BMW X1 (MY23 might change that, looks impressive in international specs) and the absence of Q3 on roads.
  • Confidence inspiring ride, at no time do you feel you are not in control and with enough grunt to get you where you want to go
  • The best music system around in this segment
Not so Pro:
  • Stock maps suck! Absolutely. Heard new version is getting google maps. For this cost no connected car offered, again being offered in new version going on sale around September. No ventilated seats
  • Fuel efficiency is 10Kmpl in city and 12 Kmpl on highway. So, not very pocket friendly and engine can be noisy at times
  • Weak AC vents at the back and lack of physical buttons is felt especially for AC controls
Overall, with everything considered I still think this is a great buy. This car gets my thumbs up!

I have the first service schedules towards the end of the month, and I have not taken any maintenance package (keeping in mind the low mile munching) will keep you posted how it goes, stay tuned!
gismosin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 06:36   #62
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Hello folks
Hope you all are enjoying eating up the miles on your beautiful babies.
I'm on year 3 with my XC40 D4 AWD and upto 28k on my odometer also ready to go in for my service. Now in my conversation with my service advisor he's prepped me already by saying that the third year service is going to be a bit steep considering that me drive belt needs replacing etc...so i wanted to check with all you good people that if any of you've had to do the same.
I've checked in the international forums and generally what I've read is that the timing belt/ drive belt is changed around 60-100k kms
So this ask from my service advisor seems a bit unusual and a it scary.
Please help with any advice I'm left with no other option otherwise.
Thank you all in advance.
jamesmani is offline  
Old 21st July 2022, 10:39   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmani View Post
Hello folks
Hope you all are enjoying eating up the miles on your beautiful babies.
I'm on year 3 with my XC40 D4 AWD and upto 28k on my odometer also ready to go in for my service. Now in my conversation with my service advisor he's prepped me already by saying that the third year service is going to be a bit steep considering that me drive belt needs replacing etc...so i wanted to check with all you good people that if any of you've had to do the same.
I've checked in the international forums and generally what I've read is that the timing belt/ drive belt is changed around 60-100k kms
So this ask from my service advisor seems a bit unusual and a it scary.
Please help with any advice I'm left with no other option otherwise.
Thank you all in advance.
This seems a bit excessive, usually I think it's between 5-10 years and the car has done way over the 28k you mentioned. Ask what is the regular interval to replace drive belt? and since you have done less amount of Km why it needs replacement? Also say you have consulted an "Automotive Expert" and they mentioned it's not necessary now and see what they answer.

Also, found this useful service chart from VOLVO USA website, don't expect it to be much different here. According to this manual. its either 240k KM or 10 years
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-capture.png

Here is the link to it
https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...anual_2020.pdf

Last edited by gismosin : 21st July 2022 at 10:47. Reason: Adding some material
gismosin is offline  
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:44   #64
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Thanks a ton Gismosin this was really helpful. In fact when I mentioned about the service schedule regarding the drive belt he was quick to mention that the new service schedule that apparently just came in doesn't ask for a replacement.
The whole episode seemed a bit strange to me but nevertheless it helped in my favour.
Thanks again for your timely inputs. Much obliged..
jamesmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 11:16   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review |First Service

Finally, first service is done and out of the way. As expected, was uneventful. The car was picked up early in the morning and dropped off by evening. I regrettably could not complete the 10K KM needed for service, the ODO clocked 8784 when the car went to service. I would break up the service bill into three categories
  1. Parts
  2. Labor
  3. Discretionary spend
Parts included replacements needed in the first service, here the list for you. This cost Rs. 17,301.5/- including GST. Nothing in this section of the bill stood out to me.



Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-sv1.jpg


Labor included the following, maybe a couple of line items could be avoided (RS. 885 for checking battery? I hope it got a spa level treatment) But did not haggle much. However, they had added car wash and sanitization in the original work and got that removed (avoided Sanitization Rs.800/- and Car wash worth 1000/- done free of cost). Total cost Rs. 6,490/-



Here be labor line items


Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-sv2.jpg


In discretionary spend, I did wheel alignment, balancing & rotation of wheels. AC disinfection and Lubricants was mentioned by Service Advisor as needed so went with it. This part of the service costed Rs.9,298/- I just went with the service for wheel alignment this time around but from next time might just get it done outside.


Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-sv3.jpg


Total bill added up to Rs. 33,090/-. I got 4k voucher for insurance so the total I paid was Rs. 29,090/- which was in-line with my expectations.

Since (I believe) I did not choose the sanitization package there was no foot paper on top of the mat and when delivered there was some water on the driver side mat.



Other than that, both drivers (pick-up and drop) were courteous, during pick-up pictures of car were taken and shared and location tracking was done. It was a working day for me when the car went to service and my interaction with Service Advisor was on WhatsApp messages, she was prompt & courteous. Maybe, in service two I will try and go to the Service Center.



For now, need to do some mile munching with this Swedish beauty.
gismosin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:06   #66
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 13
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismosin View Post

Also, found this useful service chart from VOLVO USA website, don't expect it to be much different here. According to this manual. its either 240k KM or 10 years

Here is the link to it
https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...anual_2020.pdf
The chart clearly shows 10k miles(16k km), 20k miles(32k km), etc.
however in india recommended service schedule is every 10k km (which seems too sharp for me).

Are we being taken for a ride… or this could be ‘needed for Indian conditions’
evolvo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:49   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
JoshMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 4,586 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

A bill of Rs 29k for the first service looks a bit on the higher side, specially for some of the "labour" items.

Saw that there is a charge of 5k+ for a multi-filter. Yours is a petrol, what's this expensive-looking filter element?
Also, reading the diagnostic codes being charged for 600 bucks. Isn't that supposed to be done FoC?
I would presume that a powertrain inspection would be more complex than a battery health check, but they are charging more for the latter.

Volvo not giving a foot paper (with assumption that you didn't opt for the sanitization package) is quite
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:46   #68
BHPian
 
DriverNo.420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 91
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

@JoshMachine
Well, those unfathomable prices are the reason luxury car owners are a part of the official 'Rip-Off' club.
DriverNo.420 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 15:08   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
The chart clearly shows 10k miles(16k km), 20k miles(32k km), etc.
however in india recommended service schedule is every 10k km (which seems too sharp for me).

Are we being taken for a ride… or this could be ‘needed for Indian conditions’

Service I think is country specific, so this is what Volvo recommends for India I guess. This s still better than my old Honda City which had a service schedule of 6 months
gismosin is offline  
Old 3rd August 2022, 15:12   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
A bill of Rs 29k for the first service looks a bit on the higher side, specially for some of the "labour" items.

Saw that there is a charge of 5k+ for a multi-filter. Yours is a petrol, what's this expensive-looking filter element?
Also, reading the diagnostic codes being charged for 600 bucks. Isn't that supposed to be done FoC?
I would presume that a powertrain inspection would be more complex than a battery health check, but they are charging more for the latter.

Volvo not giving a foot paper (with assumption that you didn't opt for the sanitization package) is quite
True, the problem with parts I observed is that all of them are imported, hence the high cost I assume

I definitely see opportunity to discuss with them and better understand the service items, that is why I plan to go down during second service. I unfortunately could not do it this time around due to work constraints. Even I felt that no foot paper mat is a little stingy on their part...
gismosin is offline  
Old 3rd August 2022, 15:31   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverNo.420 View Post
@JoshMachine
Well, those unfathomable prices are the reason luxury car owners are a part of the official 'Rip-Off' club.
The service is no doubt expensive and one needs to factor in this when buying the car. Service sometimes is also a volume game, economy of scale and such. Also, the specialization and complexity of the car involved.
gismosin is offline  
Old 20th August 2022, 13:55   #72
BHPian
 
shahbaz63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

How the price of automobiles has shot up in India over the last year, you bought your car at ~44L on road in Hyderabad and here we are after a year costing ~54L on road*in Mumbai. Curious if anything has changed over the last year, new features or any cosmetic changes? Anything?*
shahbaz63 is offline  
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:53   #73
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
How the price of automobiles has shot up in India over the last year, you bought your car at ~44L on road in Hyderabad and here we are after a year costing ~54L on road*in Mumbai. Curious if anything has changed over the last year, new features or any cosmetic changes? Anything?*
Hello Shahbaz63, apart from price nothing has really changed. This is true for every other car out there whose price has gone up in the last one year.

However, I heard a newer model (mild hybrid) with new infotainment system and additional features is on the plan for a silent rollout.
gismosin is offline  
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:42   #74
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 13
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
How the price of automobiles has shot up in India over the last year, you bought your car at ~44L on road in Hyderabad and here we are after a year costing ~54L on road*in Mumbai. Curious if anything has changed over the last year, new features or any cosmetic changes? Anything?*
Earlier, Xc40 petrol r-design was 39.99 ex showroom when they offered a 3 lac discount. This was when it worked out to 44 lacs on road.

Post that I guess the discount was removed, while prices increased three times (may’21, dec’21, apr’22) and the ex showroom price shot up by 2lacs, 2 lacs and 1.25 lacs (total 5.25 lacs). Hence the current high on road price of 54 lacs.

The facelifted xc40 (coming in few months) is going to be mild hybrid and so we can expect another 1-2 lacs price increase. With that, on road price of mild hybrid will be 56 lacs, which is just 3 lacs short of the electric xc40 recharge (which is ~59 lacs ok road).

The recharge also comes with a 3 year warranty, service and RSA included (worth around 3 lacs maybe), so it’s a no-brainer buy when compared to the hybrid.

However, if you have a lot of highway miles to munch, you’re better off with the petrol hybrid. But at 56 lacs it’s still kinda ridiculous, and it is better to buy a used d4 which is way better for highway
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 22:16   #75
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 12
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Earlier, Xc40 petrol r-design was 39.99 ex showroom when they offered a 3 lac discount. This was when it worked out to 44 lacs on road.

Post that I guess the discount was removed, while prices increased three times (may’21, dec’21, apr’22) and the ex showroom price shot up by 2lacs, 2 lacs and 1.25 lacs (total 5.25 lacs). Hence the current high on road price of 54 lacs.

The facelifted xc40 (coming in few months) is going to be mild hybrid and so we can expect another 1-2 lacs price increase. With that, on road price of mild hybrid will be 56 lacs, which is just 3 lacs short of the electric xc40 recharge (which is ~59 lacs ok road).

The recharge also comes with a 3 year warranty, service and RSA included (worth around 3 lacs maybe), so it’s a no-brainer buy when compared to the hybrid.

However, if you have a lot of highway miles to munch, you’re better off with the petrol hybrid. But at 56 lacs it’s still kinda ridiculous, and it is better to buy a used d4 which is way better for highway
Recieved this today for the upcoming XC40 (Prices are for Gurgaon, Haryana)

Exshowroom 4590000
Hassle free - 270000
————————————
Exshowroom 4320000
Tcs - 43200
Logistic -89000
Insurance - 120000
Registration 465700
—————————————

On Road : 5037900

Also attached is the comparison I recieved from the SA on Old vs New.

They don't have TD vehicles available yet. Can't wait to try one when possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-img20220901wa0009.jpg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-img20220901wa0008.jpg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-img20220901wa0007.jpg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-img20220901wa0006.jpg  

ThunderIce is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks