Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 12:04   #1
BHPian

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Folks, I have been leaching off Team-BHP forums like a vampire and I thought I should contribute my two bits. Couple of reasons for that.

One, I bought a car and I hope it helps someone like me who is interested in the brand or the model.
Two, wanted to share my overall experiences as well and plan to build this in to a long term ownership review.

So, thanks to the admins for giving me a chance to tell my story, this will be my first post!

The beginning

My trusty old steed, my Honda City, was aging along with me and while it was a car that was absolutely hassle free to maintain and a joy to drive. Sadly, niggles appeared and then the itch started, you know the itch… all of us had it at one point in time (nope, not talking about the seven year one) the itch you can't help but scratch, i.e., to get a new car.

Me and my wife are in our late 30s and are fairly settled in life and liabilities taken care of and we were doing road trips with friends at least twice a year before the pandemic happened. We knew that the next 10 years will be when we could enjoy the most of our road trips and we wanted an able companion along for the ride.

With road trips in mind, we sadly ruled out the sedan. We are the rare breed of sedan lovers, but the scars on the underbelly of my Honda City convinced us otherwise. Since this will not be an everyday car, we wanted to stick to petrol. Our beater Suzuki Alto would take care of us running around the city.

So, an SUV or a crossover was what we had in mind. Something to get you to where you want to go without worrying about bad roads and since we do not stray too far from civilization, a 4x4 was not a need of the hour. As we looked around, we though why not splurge and get something nice since as finances worked out for us.

We began our hunt with the German brands and immediately ruled out Audi (Q2 made little sense at the price) and Mercedes had no announcements on GLA yet. Basically, our choice narrowed on to two brands. BMW and the unlikely Volvo.

The marquee of BMW is appealing, no denying the badge attracts. We promptly booked the test drive on the BMW website and got a call the next day. We set an appointment for the weekend and I was keen to test drive the Petrol as I was leaning towards it.

There was no update from the sales associate on the day of test drive and after a quick WhatsApp follow up from me, the salesperson assured me someone would show up with the car at the time agreed. At the time of the test drive, a junior Sales Associate showed up with the car. First disappointment, it was a diesel as they had no petrol available and he urged me to drive as it as they were very similar cars. He then mentioned a 3 km limit for the test drive, which was a bummer. I did a quick test drive after which he took me through the high-level features of the car and then we were done; he handed me the quotes for a couple of variants of X1 and I told him I will keep in touch.

My experience of the test drive test drive is, no doubt the engine is good and extremely responsive, quiet and drives well, but the rest of the car looks dated, fairly dated. I understand subtlety but this was pure undercutting, take away the badge and the car does not stand out. What's worst is that many features lower segments now have (I am looking at you key-less entry, wireless charging, digital instrument cluster) are missing. The cabin is, in one word, boring. While it is good to drive, it was underwhelming as an overall package we were looking for. The overall attitude of the car be like " I will give you a good engine and a decent steering, how dare you ask for more, you mere mortal! do you know who I am? did you look at my badge? now bow down and pray at my feet..er...tires and I may bless you to have the privilege of serving me."

Also, the quote provided was close to 49L (and this was before the price hike in April). I followed up to negotiate and that is where I further felt disappointed. Response from sales was lukewarm (they had similar attitude of the car, you are the lucky one to be able to buy this car, what are you complaining for?) they came down to 47L on the xLine variant I was looking at and refused to come down further. I guess because of the pandemic the deep discounts have become the thing of the past. What I understood from the SA was that they have low inventory and they are getting an abysmal number of units allocated and that is causing the gap in supply and demand. Looked like there were many more folks willing to part money readily. I was not, not at that price point.

Here is the quotation for the base variant (SportX) of BMW X1 (I misplaced the quote for the xLine) with some dubious charges which would be leveraged to provide discount to the consumer.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-bmw.png

Fairly disappointed with the whole BMW experience, I booked a Volvo XC40 test drive on their website. The Volvo SA called, and he cut a further sorry figure. He had no car to TD and their stock was even sketchier. Apparently, they sold their TD car as it was end-of-year (allegedly they clear their TD vehicle in a year)

However, he asked me to call a few weeks down the road as they were expecting shipment, didn't sound promising. Looked like we had no options even if you were willing to spend around 45L on a car. Having almost given up and have not heard from BMW (I called the SA once in between to prod and he said he will get back to me and I am still waiting for his getting back to this day). I killed my time by watching videos on YouTube mostly car related and then lurking in Team-BHP forums to divert my disappointment and during this time what I discovered is the overwhelming positive reviews for XC40 across the globe; it appeared to be a great all-round package and I really liked the way it looked. But Volvo's lackluster presence in India had me on a back-foot.

A couple of weeks later, I called Volvo back and to my delight; they had a car now. We arranged a test drive for the weekend and after a quick follow up by me on the day of test drive (mostly eager me) the SA showed up with the car and to my surprise he was the general manager of sales himself, Mr. Saket Singh. There was no test drive radius mentioned and I took an elaborate one and he showed all the cool features the car had (a little more on that later) and after a satisfying test drive, we bid our goodbyes and the usual with "let's stay in touch" parting statements.

For a change, my wife felt overwhelmed with the car. Her first question was "it has a lot of features, but are they useful?" Nothing like a shot of reason from your better half. So, took a step back and chewed over the statement for a day.

Did I like the car? Absolutely, it was gorgeous to look at, modern and chic. I liked the way it drove; I am a relaxed driver and it speaks to me. Steering was on the lighter side, so would be easy for wife to hop in and take off. The car is built like a tank and is armed to the teeth with safety features and at least in theory they sound amazing (Whiplash protection, collision mitigation, to name a few). Safety has been a primary concern for me, with unsafe roads and mis-adventurous drivers roaming freely, you can never be safer. I wanted all the safety for my family I could get. Need to evaluate practical application of them on the Indian roads but definitely good to have, these features are segment leading for sure.

What I found most useful was the adaptive cruise control and pilot assist, they worked like a charm in our test drive, even when and the markings on the road were barely visible. I was thoroughly impressed, my long drives would be a breeze and the best part was they had a 3L discount running on the car by Volvo, bringing it to 36,9000 ex-showroom. To me this was a great price point. The car cost less than the base model of BMW and has more features on it’s resume.

The insurance was way cheaper than the BMW as well. Volvo sales mentioned that was because of some tie-ups they had with insurance companies and Volvo's have lower insurance premium (no way to verify that) but it included everything: zero dip, engine protection, Key loss protection and tires. Basically, everything I could think of and after adding 32k for Volvo branded mats, mudflaps for the car, the final price was 43.8L.

An excellent price for the car such as this. They offer a 2-year warranty, and you can extend it by 3 more years and costs about 1.4L extra. I plan to bargain further and pick up the 3 years extended warranty. They also offer a five-year service package but did not feel it was worth for my kind of driving. SA mentioned that servicing cost would be around 30-35K per year.

Here is the Volvo quote, only thing I could think of negotiating was the TR/HSNP/VDC charges

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-volvo_quote.jpg

My apprehensions were as follows:
  1. Volvo has low resale value so when I want to sell it, I would hardly get a good price, but again I keep cars for around 10 years. So If I kept this one for that long I have made good for what I paid.
  2. There was no reliable feedback on after sales service, so a big risk here. However, with plan to take extended warranty I can prevent any major expenses from my pocket.
I later learnt that Volvo was now assembling XC40 locally and had enough spares in stock (which will be put to test sooner than I thought)

As I thought about the entire value proposition, I felt it was a good bang for the buck. By now, the new Mercedes GLA specs and pricing had leaked out and it disappointed me. With both their specs for petrol and pricing. While it was well equipped and looked good, the price was way above what I would pay for it, especially for the petrol engine.

After sufficiently mulling over the options and hogging the internet bandwidth to read through forums, videos and what not, I also joined the XC40 owners group in Facebook, where the owners from across the world were generally happy with their car, minor niggles were pointed out and product defects/flaws had been fixed in newer iteration. So proven vehicle globally. The dealer network is evenly spread as BMW, especially to the south of India, my territory of lurking around.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-dealer_network.jpg
A map of dealer spread in South India

Finally, a week later, we went to the showroom and asked for a second test drive and was readily agreed by the dealer. We took one quick ride in the city. This time with my son in the back seat, we had not taken him for the initial test drive. He and my wife experience some vertigo in The Honda City, so wanted to test if this was the case and luckily both felt fine.

With the second test drive concluded, we agreed we liked the car. We paid 2L as booking amount and were assured of the vehicle by end of May. My wife was not happy with the limited colour of choice as white was the only colour guaranteed to be delivered early and with no ETA for other options. The white car we saw, the test drive white, was a little too bland. So, we asked for the silver one. The GM sales said colours get allocated in a limited way while he would try. He could not commit a timeline and our waiting game began.

During the wait, I graduated from lurking to stalker on Team-BHP anything remotely related to Volvo. Posts from Mr. Narayan, psispace were helpful about their experience with Volvo and their long-term ownership reviews re-assured me.

May turned to June and finally to July and regular follow ups did not yield any results as the lock-down in Karnataka (Volvo factory is in this state) and second wave had brought things to standstill and finally in second week of July I got a call that they had white available for immediate delivery, much to my wife's disappointment. Mr. Saket Singh urged us to go take a look. They unloaded the car in their service centre. So, a quick 10 minutes drive later, we were met by the service center manager who walked us to the car.

First impressions were extremely good. While the test drive white had been dull and drab (and now I suspect a re-painting job) the new one had a nice metallic sparkle. The wife loved it and so did I and I took advantage of such rare consensus and confirmed the car shortly.

Another point to note is that sometime in between me booking the car in April and delivery in July, Volvo hiked the price of the car by 1.35 Lac. I was afraid that the dealer would charge the new price. He never mentioned it and I played dumb and the final price negotiated when booking the car stood good and valid.

Car Delivery

After setting up quick payments, I told the dealer I want to pick up the car and drive it out of the showroom by Sunday 11 AM. For which the dealer wanted me to complete all the paperwork by Saturday and finish the registration process as well. So, on Sunday it would be a quick tour of the car and then drive it away. I had watched enough on the thread "How NOT to crash your car while taking delivery" thus erring on the side of caution, I asked for a driver to drive it home and the dealer agreed.

Before the final payment, I wanted to inspect the car. The car was still in the Service centre, so armed with VIN and Team-BHP PDI checklist, I went to play Sherlock.

I was shown to the car and did a physical inspection and it passed. It had around 20 Km on the odo which was great. But, I could not check the functionality of the car as it was electronically locked on pre-delivery mode and none of the electronics worked. Tailgate, sunroof, features on the centre console were all locked and the odo displayed a factory mode or factory setting message (forgot to take the picture). A quick look around outside and inside was what I could do.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-pdi.jpg
A quick PDI

The service centre informed me that it would undergo a software update and will be unlocked for delivery. The car will be driven down on Saturday to the showroom for Sunday Delivery. While my PDI was half completed because of the car being in "locked mode". Physical inspection was satisfactory, so I gave the go ahead and the final payment.

A sidenote, the dealer initially told me the car would come from Belgium, but a quick check showed me it was a CKD from their China factory and assembled in Bangalore. Not that I minded, but nevertheless for folks who are particular. The manufacturing plant is Luqiao Plant (CMA Super Factory) according to the VIN sticker.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-vin.jpg
VIN sticker with manufacturing details

On the day of delivery, we went to the showroom with the family and a friend for the extra pair of eyes. Everything was ready from the dealer side, quick check on documents revealed father's name mentioned incorrectly in the invoice. Luckily, it showed correct in the other documents. The dealer mentioned he would get it corrected and give me a new invoice copy next day delivered at home. The registration papers all looked ok.

The car was covered and they made us to the unveiling and the standard photographs with flowers, chocolates and the key cut-out was done.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-bride.jpg

While I was with the GM sales inside the car understanding the features. My wife looked around and then she found it! A dent! On our brand-new car and our heart sank to our gut. Barely visible on the back, towards the left, above the bumper was a dent!

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-dent.jpg

I don't have a better picture as we were too shocked and dealing with the matter; it is barely visible in the picture but very noticeable in actual.

The GM sales was immediately questioned and he furiously apologised and he promised they will replace the entire side panel. Thankfully, the location where the dent was, the panel can be removed and replaced. Apparently, this might have happened when the staff were cleaning the car late in the night for the next day's delivery.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-panel.jpg
The panel that was agreed to be replaced (just for illustration, this is not the damaged panel) This is form PDI clicks

We got pacified to some extent and were reassured multiple times if would be fixed in a couple of days.

Since the vehicle was already registered in my name, I could hardly do anything and with written assurance by the GM himself (wrote the comment in the delivery invoice that a dent was found with commitment of replacement which was signed) we took the vehicle home.

When we took the vehicle to my parent's home who live in the different part of the city, the first thing my mother noticed was the dent. Which was another bummer.

However, we got the necessary puja at our regular temple done. Another thing that the dealer mentioned multiple times is that not to have the swastikas etc marked on the car as the colour will never really go away and will be very apparent on white. So had to stand like hawks in front of the car to ensure the Poojari does not put any marking on the car. Tires and black grill in the front were ok areas.

The next day the manager from the service centre called me acknowledging the dent and apologizing and assuring to get it fixed. The part would take a couple of days to come and once it was in, they would let me know. I was also in constant touch with the GM sales daily. Because of a festival in between, it got delayed by a few days and finally on Friday, five days after delivery of the car, the part was ready.

I was offered the car to be picked up. Anxious, I declined and drove there myself. They took the car into the workshop and hardly 10 minutes later it was ready. The part had been kept ready and was promptly replaced. Once the car came out, I thoroughly inspected and sighed in relief. There was no difference in paint texture, colour, or no misalignment etc. it was perfect. Five days after getting the car home, I was finally relieved and happy.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-dent_fixed.jpg
Dent fixed!

Initial ownership experience

Now that the whole dent debacle was behind me, I started slowly exploring my new ride. I turned off things like lane keep assist for daily use, otherwise it would be a constant battle with the car on city roads. I also switched off road sign detection for now as it warns you if you move over the speed limit. Ironically, the car is teaching me to be a good driver, but for now I could use fewer distractions as I get used to my new machine. But when I tested though, the road sign information picked up speed limits and other road signs pretty well.

Here is the list of car functions screen which you can toggle on or off.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-car_functions.jpg

Fit, finish and cabin impressions

• Fit and finish of the car are excellent, the cabin looks plush and modern. Really like the minimalist design, I have not yet felt the need to have an extra button for any function.
  • Front seats are comfortable, and the 4-way lumbar support adds additional comfort. The manually extendable thigh support is handy. The front driver seat has the Sweden flag, the only one I could find.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-seat_flag.jpg
  • AC vents have chrome finish and look very sleek. All AC controls are via the infotainment screen and easy to operate.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-ac_vent.jpg
  • The vehicle is more responsive than expected. Having read multiple threads about lag and linear power delivery, I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe tweaked in newer models? Not sure, but never felt the need or want for more power. No hesitation felt when overtaking.
  • I drove it on the beautiful Hyderabad Outer Ring Road and I could feel some noise inside the cabin, so not super insulated, but not annoying either. The adaptive cruise control works beautifully, it's hard to resist not to put your leg on the brake, it's unnerving to give up control and trust the car to do its thing. Even with cars cutting lanes in front of me, the Volvo XC40 reacted very well. A feature I am sure I will use in highway driving and would cut fatigue in long drives.
  • Powered tailgate works great and the kick gesture is great to have and my son's favorite feature of the car. Neat little trick. The buttons on the boot tailgate are convenient and handy.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-boot_buttons.jpg
You can see the rear camera on the top of the picture as well
  • The rear seats while not the best in class, are not as bad as I feared they would be. The transmission tunnel and protruding AC vents ensure seating capacity is limited to two at the back. The middle seat is at your disposal for any frenemies you might have.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-back_seat.jpg
  • Thor hammer DRL’s are something else! They are awesome at night. The best DRL I have seen on a car.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-thor_hammer.jpg
  • The steering is comfortable to hold and light to use. Has minimal feedback (not everyone would like this) the buttons on steering are laid out in a clean, easy to use fashion. Left side are you pilot assist/cruise control and right side are buttons to select and navigate various options like maps, music and phone and voice assistance.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-steering.jpg
  • The rear hand rest is comfortable and provides access to the access panel to the boot. Do note, that the panel can only be opened from the boot side. So if its closed, you cannot open it from within the cabin.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-handrest.jpg

• Rear view is restricted. Rear camera is essential to use while backing up. Be aware of the car's blind spots while driving, this holds true for any car I guess.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-rear_view.jpg
  • The IntelliSafe unit sits on the top of windscreen, behind the rear view mirror. While quite large in size, it does not hamper the view in any way.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-intellesafe.jpg

• Quality of central console and digital instrument display are excellent. more on that below.
  • Four drive modes offered, Comfort and Dynamic are the modes that I will end up using the most. Dynamic is not dramatic improvement by any means. This is not a sports car but neither is it a slouch, kind of somewhere in-between in no man's/ car's land?
  • The shifter is covered in leather and looks good. Very unusual and quirky operation, need to press it twice in any direction to engage that function. Revers is front and drive is back. Something you need to get used to but not really a problem. Has a dedicated parking button.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-shifter.jpg
  • Panoramic sunroof is fantastic, makes the otherwise monochrome cabin looks airy and spacious. You can open the sunroof regular or just for ventilation (where it just opens in the back slightly)
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-sunroof.jpg

• Pedals have good grip and are comfortable to use. The dead pedal does a good job at playing dead and supporting your leg.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-pedals.jpg

• The hood has an open latch (yellow colour) and easy to identify and open once the lever form the inside is pulled. Good insulation under the hood. The engine bay looks busy with no space. I am extremity poor in this department and would test someone patience just to identify anything apart from the battery.so yeah, looks busy.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-engine_bay.jpg

Features & Creature Comforts

• The600w 14 speaker Harman Kardon speaker system is music to the ears, covers out every other noise in the cabin, including talkative kids. Against this, the 100w system on the BMW just pales in comparison. The music system is going to be a joy on those long drives. Pair it with Apple music's spatial audio tracks and you are set!
  • Key fob tricks: Press and hold the lock button will close any open windows and the sunroof (you need to keep the lock button pressed until the sunroof closes, while windows will close automatically even if you release the button). On a hot sunny day, press and hold the unlock button for all four windows to roll down and AC cools the car down before you step in. Tidy tricks, very useful in hot weather.
  • Digital instrument cluster is really cool. You are greeted with a blank one when you get in to the car and it fills up when you start it up. Display quality is excellent.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-instrument_blank.jpg
  • Dash warnings cannot be missed and are easily identifiable, graphics are nifty and nice. In case you are blind enough to miss them the Car has enough chimes in it's armory to warn you. I swear every time I hear a chime I am like "I did not do anything, I swear"
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-dash_warnings.jpg
  • Various functions like trip data, media, phone, and navigation history can be pulled up from the buttons on the steering on to the instrument cluster, which is quite convenient and will minimize driver distraction.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-instrument_data.jpg
  • The map in the digital instrument cluster is extremely well done, no need to look at the central console. Unfortunately is only available in their own navigation app. If you are using google maps, it will not work.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-instrument_map.jpg

• Lighting is adequate in the cabin, and you can adjust the lighting brightness. The scroll wheel to adjust cabin brightness also adjusts digital instrument panel and Infotainment screen brightness. You cannot change the colour of the light.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-cabin_light.jpg
  • While cabin lights colour cannot be changed there are LED’s smartly placed whose colour can be changed and they cast light on the shiny parts of the cabin and give you a hue. Will not work in day due to overpowering daylight. Very understated but works wonderfully for someone like me, who hates some of the over the top LED lighting which makes the car look like a nightclub. You will be spoilt with choice of seven colour options. How many color options does the pointy star have again? never mind.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-hue_lights.jpg
  • Plenty of smart storage. Card holders, cubby-holes at every nook and cranny. I swear it was designed by a Hobbit. There is a secret card holder under the USB ports, once fully inserted, the card is completely out of sight. Someone like me will promptly forget and never find it as long as I am alive. But useful to save that card you use for fuel or for emergency. There is a similar card, ticket holder near the boot release button- this I use.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-usb_cardholder.jpg

• Approx. 12 GB of storage available for apps and maps. Based on which region map you want to download size varies from a few hundred MB to a couple of GB.

Last edited by gismosin : 10th August 2021 at 15:57.
gismosin is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:02   #2
BHPian

re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Some misses & Nit-picks

• The storage under the driver's seat is no longer available. oh man! that's a nice place to keep your secret stash of...you know, secrets! it's gone, it's no more, less secrets for you now!
  • Driver seat belt buckle can be hard to click in place if you increase the height of your seat.
  • The engine is noisy for a petrol. Especially at idle and it quietens down while driving.
  • They have taken paddle shifters out in the new model, which is a bummer. I was so sure that they were there that I never bothered to check. Why Volvo, why? what did those cute little shifters ever do to you?
  • The bonnet opening is on the passenger side. Come on Volvo! Do proper customization for the regions. Pray the next mall you go to alone, the un-intrested security guard does not ask you to open it. And if you do mange to open it, apply right away for the Indian Olympics gymnastics team. You have natural talent!
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-bonnet_open.jpg
  • Does not come with the R-Design badging anymore. Nothing in the car identifies the trim. But again only one trim is available in India.
  • Ventilated seats would have been nice to have.
  • I ended up reading the owner's manual multiple times. Could not for the life of me figure out how to turn off the rear wipers, the button on the right stalk should be set to middle while up or down is different wiper modes. Took me a while in figuring it out. That is the most sensitive button on the planet I swear, had to coax and sweet talk it just to stop.
  • Only has wired CarPlay and Android Auto, wireless would have been nice but not really missed. The wired CarPlay works beautifully.
  • Has an mysterious opening behind the glove box, looks like a panel missing, but dealer confirmed all cars are coming this way in the MY21 model. I checked in Volvo XC40 owners group if Facebook too and it checked out. But still very weird. Also the glove box is pretty useless in terms of storage. It does live up to it's name, the best you can store would be a pair of gloves using which you can strangle the guy who designed it.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-panel_missing.jpg
  • Tyre monitoring in the central console is just dots, no actual pressure or reading but should give you a fair heads-up, I guess. There is a separate indicator in the instrument panel for a flat tyre.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-tpms.jpg
  • For some reason, the car picks up the wrong time, always shows 5:30 hours ahead when pick time based on GPS location is enabled. Must adjust it manually for now. Loyalty to motherland, perhaps?
  • Can connect the car to your phone's hotspot. For some strange reason, the car cannot see wireless signal from my Airtel hotspot device. Why? Just because its Huawei? but of all the cars this one should have the least problem shouldn't it? what a conundrum. Anyways my plans to have the hotspot sit in the car have gone to waste.
  • Sunglasses are left homeless. With all the clever little designs they could not think about sunglasses? no wonder every Volvo XC40 ad had people wearing them, not because they look cool. But because they have nowhere to put them. I finally plonked mine in the door storage down below. My sunglasses behave like they have been moved from penthouse to below poverty line housing, these sunglasses I swear! such drama queen!
  • The Key fob looks nice, however the etching on the buttons could have been better.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-key_fob.jpg
  • Maps are pretty good for the city but nowhere close to google maps. I could not find a location I wanted to drive to outside the city. You can use Google local search to find it and then send that to the Sensus navigation.
  • The automatic headlights kept switching from high beam to low beam whenever there is a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction. On busy roads, this would look like I am constantly flashing lights at the vehicle in front of me.
  • On busy roads when you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic and bikes trying to squeeze in, the sensors go mad and keep beeping and displaying proximity alerts. At every signal during daytime traffic, I had multiple alerts showing a vehicle was too close to the car. Something to get used to, I guess. But un-nerving, feel like rolling the window and shouting at the world "Stay away from my baby!" now I sound like a father of a teenage girl. Sigh!
  • Voice commands are a miss with the car. But I think it likes to switch off the fan (did an Indian mom design this?) Even when I said "Call wife" it thought about it for a moment and said "Switching off fan" It cannot understand my accent and my mandarin is extremely limited . Using CarPlay, the lovely Siri works beautifully and has no trouble talking to me. She likes me, she does...my precious.
  • Rear AC vents feel a little weak, had rear passengers complain of lack of airflow. The poor fellow just sits there with no voice (blower settings) or thoughts ( AC controls) of his own, he is left pondering about his existence in general.
  • I hope mileage improves, right now it's around 9 Kmpl. With petrol prices going north they will hit my plans of traveling the good old south.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-fuel.jpg

Manuals & other literature

The owner's manual comes in a nice little package and has three booklets inside. The owner's manual included is just a supplement and covers all the basic stuff. The complete manual is available in the centre console of the car, the Volvo manual app on your phone or on their website. The packing looks posh, like something you display on the little shelf of the drawing room.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-manual1.jpg
The owner's manual package

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-manual2.jpg
Has the visiting cards of GM Sales and Service Centre manager included

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-manual3.jpg
The three little booklets

Insurance and Volvo Assistance

Insurance comes through Volvo tie-up and IDV is pegged at 95% of invoice value of the car. The insurance broker was Aditya Birla Brokers and Bharati AXA provides insurance.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-insurance_welcome.jpg
Digital welcome cover page by Aditya Birla

The insurance is comprehensive in coverage, good to have. Hopefully something I will never use.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-insurance_addon.jpg
Add-ons provided in the insurance

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-insurance_wording.jpg
Covers most eventualities one can think of...except Zombie apocalypse (would not recommend driving this during one though. With all it's safety features it would be difficult to run over a Zombie)

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-insurance_zerodip.jpg
Details on Zero Depreciation cover

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-insurance_towing.jpg
Towing reimbursement

Volvo Assistance is another service provided free of charge by Volvo, for the first two years from the date of delivery of vehicle.

It covers the following and can be availed in the following scenarios
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-volvo_assistance.jpg
  1. It's available for unlimited KM, so not restricted by kilometers.
  2. You can avail the service by calling 24 Hrs x 365 days contact centre.
  3. Taxi benefit: If your vehicle needs to be towed to the workshop, you can get one way taxi fare reimbursed up to 100 KM.
  4. They provided replacement car in home city if the cost of repairs exceeds INR 3 Lacs, capped at 3 days max.
  5. They provide reimbursement for replacement car outside home city for INR 2000 per day and capped at 3 days, max.
  6. Loss of key covered up to INR 25000
AEWP Assistance India Pvt. Ltd provides this service.

A getaway

Over the weekend I visited Ananthagiri hill about 80 km outside of Hyderabad for a quick day picnic with family and friends. The ride was great, fantastic weather and a whole lot of fun for the kids. I was fairly careful while driving and still needed to get comfortable with the new car.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-ahills1.jpg
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-ahills2.jpg
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-ahills3.jpg

I plan to keep the post updated on overall ownership of this car and my experience with it as time goes on. Thanks for reading!
I am also planning to install dash cam and any suggestions/recommendation are welcome.

Cheers!
-gismosin

Last edited by gismosin : 10th August 2021 at 10:59.
gismosin is offline   (130) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 07:16   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today . You really know how to write, man. It's a gift.

Sexy car at a sexy price, I must say! Love Volvo's new design language - they truly pack in a lot of appeal. Also agree with you that the X1 is so vanilla; take away the badge and there is hardly anything about the car that impresses.

Wishing you a minimum of 150,000 km of driving pleasure & road-trips with your stunning new SUV.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 07:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

Great review there, and wonderful start to your Team-BHP journey with the beautiful Volvo. Love the new design language of Volvo, especially what they have done with their cross-overs. And the black interiors looks great.

Do keep updating the thread, and happy driving!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 08:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

To dear gismosin the vampire from a volvo vampire fan. Hearty congratulations on selecting not only a first class car but also a top brand. My experience with Volvo, thus far, 7th year running, has been very good on after sales service, reliability of the machine and reasonableness of maintenance costs. Infact I am watching the V40s electric equivalent carefully as a potential next buy in 3 years after battery ranges improve a bit. I wish you many happy miles of volvo vampiring :-) Cheers.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 11th August 2021 at 08:55.
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:06   #6
BHPian

Welcome to the Volvo family! Lovely write up. I own your car’s bigger brother and younger sister i.e. XC60 and V40. You will have low maintenance bills compared to the germans! Word of advice: Be a bit firm with the after sales from the beginning. Do go for the extended warranty without thought! Surprisingly my engine mount gave out at 65k kms. Also my dealer was refusing to counter sell parts and only did after I threatened him with a law suit. Otherwise it’s a wonderful car and I wish you a lot of happy and safe miles ahead! Cheers! Congratulations!

Last edited by sirjokhi : 11th August 2021 at 09:09. Reason: Added a few points.
sirjokhi is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:10   #7
BHPian

Great Review and what a start! loved your writing style and wishing you endless mile munching with this beautiful machine!
pineapple_ameet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. At that price, it is great value for money. Volvo's clean lines make it so much better looking than Q3 , X1 and GLA. To me, this is the best looking premium crossover available below 60 lakhs today.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on owning one of the most "undercommitting but overdelivering" cars

There aren't many XC40 reviews out there, so your review alongwith the unique writing style is like a breath of fresh air! Do keep on posting your initial driving experiences, alongwith some more pics!

BTW, did you get a chance to check out the BMW X1 tech edition also, which is supposedly offering a few more tech-goodies?
JoshMachine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:10   #10
BHPian

Congrats on a great VFM car which is also lighter on the pocket for regular services (considering the words of the SA on regular servicing). A curious question on the TCS %age though. Why is it 0.75% on BMW's quote and 1% on Volvo's?.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:30   #11
BHPian

Amazing review and congratulations on your new ride. . I can totally getting one of these, Volvo has been nailing the safety game with a great bang for buck. The white colour, although you pointed looked boring, looked amazing in the pictures.

Thanks for sharing, loved your writing - informative and humorous. Keep us updated as you along.
hdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:46   #12
BHPian

I really enjoyed reading this review, great writing and great car to boot!

How is high speed stability and the general ride?
Nitronium is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:56   #13

Congratulations of the purchase. Always loved Volvo's Thor's hammer looking singature LED DRLs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
A curious question on the TCS %age though. Why is it 0.75% on BMW's quote and 1% on Volvo's?.
This because TCS rate upto 31.03.2021 was 0.75% as per Economic Stimulus package announced by FM in May-2020 in view of Covid-19 outbreak. From 01.04.2021, it stands at 1% again.
sidg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 11:32   #14
BHPian

Awesome review! Loved the way you write.

Welcome to the Volvo family. Interestingly, i went to see the XC40 at launch and ended up buying the V40CC and have enjoyed it thoroughly. The safety features spoil you and after experiencing City Safety in action when auto drivers cut across and your car reacts before you do, you realize the value of something you never knew you needed. Service costs are extremely reasonable. Get the extended warranty for complete peace of mind.

A call out is that if you have Pirelli tyres, they are very sensitive to pot holes. Have had to replace 3 tyres due to tyre bulges/ sidewall damage. The good thing is that the Vovlo Safenet insurance had it covered and i had to pay a fraction of what each tyre costs (roughly 27K) each.

Am eagerly waiting for the XC40 Recharge, if its priced reasonably.

Happy motoring!
dsvikki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:16   #15
BHPian

Lovely review of a beautiful car. A few months ago a friend of mine was looking for a car. He mentioned that while the experiences at the Audi and Mercedes-Benz dealership experiences were great - the test drive and pre-sales experience by the Volvo folks was outstanding. He is neither a car nor a features guy, but the Volvo guys left quite an impression on him. Sadly, they did not go in for the S60 at the end,
promit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks