Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 14:35   #16

re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT. Edit: 1 year & 10,000 km update

Being a fellow XUV3OO-ian I can assure you it will bring you the same grin while driving even after 2 years.
There are days when we feel like ordering from Swiggy and not having home food. Similarly there are days when I cast a blind eye to the mileage indicator and floor the pedal!
Rekjavik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 15:00   #17
BHPian

re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT. Edit: 1 year & 10,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Lawyer View Post
I believe that main reason this car did not sell very high numbers was primarily because of how people felt that they could not even fit two bags in the trunk.

Also, doesn't the torque rush between 1500-2500rpm put a big smile on your face?
I feel the same regarding the boot. I should have pictures from our TD when we put the luggage in different configurations; will update the thread so that it'll help some folks whose requirement will be largely met.

That torque is addictive!! I lost my mind when the car pulled 4 adults with a day's luggage on a steep incline in the 4th gear and the MID kept asking me to upshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay1283 View Post
One question to you on the extended warranty. Is the 11460 that you paid, for the 4th year extended warranty alone or also includes the RSA upto 4 years?
Congrats on your new car Amay!! Wish you lots of safe and happy miles with the XUV300

The Rs. 11,460 includes both Shield Extended Warrant for 4th year and RSA for 3rd year (I believe as standard, RSA is applicable only for 2 years). Essentially, 1 additional year of warranty and 1 additional year of RSA.

If you have not taken this from the dealer, you can still take this through WithYouHamesha app.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 15:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Detailed very this review is, loved very much this reading! (a tribute to Master Yoda !)

Thanks for sharing, very detailed and useful to other/prospective owners. Its one good car. One of the better out there in most aspects in fact. Always gets good respect out on the road as well. I hope Mahindra keep it flying high and stops the stupid feature cuts that its doing with lower trims.

For us who like diesel engines - the options are already very few. The XUV3oo's engine for sure is one of the best (or maybe the best) of the 1.5L turbo diesels on offer right now. Coupled with the good dynamics and safety aspects of the car - its a compelling package. Mahindra really got this paint shade bang on. Looks just so good on any car they paint with it! Looks very handsome in person too.

Look forward to your thread being updated with regular items, travel photos and so on.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th November 2021 at 15:05.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:09   #19
AZT
BHPian

The XUV 300 is a great car and a proper AT gearbox can get a lot of the Sonet and Venue buyers here. Great review, wish you many happy miles with the car
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:51   #20
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership Review

This one feature - the spacer i mean - i didn't know till i read your post. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

Initial Ownership Review

Attachment 2236761
  • XUV300 has an adjustable boot floor. So when you fold your seats flat, you can raise the floor to match the seats and get a flat surface. Wait wait. The story doesn't just end there. This is where it gets interesting. If you were wondering whether the shelf would cave with the load then thankfully the engineers thought of that too. The toolkit organizer can also be raised using a spacer to provide a stable foundation for the raised boot floor!
Loved your post. Got mine on the 4th Nov. Mine's petrol W8 and have clocked 1150 Kms till date and really love it. For 3 months i couldn't decide between Nexon and XUV but then finally got XUV for its Cabin Space, Plush interiors, big cabin and practicality of its controls(buttons). I found the suspension in XUV to be much better than Nexon. Its smoother i think. Also the fit and finish of the interiors as they call it.

Another thing am not a fan of is all digital tachometer and speedometer like in the Nexon. I prefer analog.

Another thing i love is the cabin lights. They're so bright and the way they've been placed.

I too was skeptical about the boot space but then i thought - 20 years we've owned Maruti 800 & Swift and never had a problem or we managed a bit sometimes - so we'll manage and manage we did - last weekend - 4 of us (3 adults + 1 kit) did a 700 kms trip - Baroda-Dahanu-Baroda and the boot was more than sufficient.
mihir_m13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 17:16   #21
BHPian

Congratulations, Wishing a you a lot of happy Miles!

"Aqua Marine" looks good, felt like it changes shade a bit depending on light exposure, All your low light photo shade was different (or might be just due to how camera captures it).

I agree with you it being "underrated car", while its not giving same number as Sonet/Nexon, i think its catching up. I was curious about you dropping typical contender "Venue", then saw your reply in the other thread.

Note from Mod: Post edited. Please only use spaces after punctuation marks and not before them. Do see point #2 (Expected Posting Etiquette) for more info.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th November 2021 at 17:47. Reason: Please see the Mod Note in your post.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 17:24   #22
BHPian

Congratulations for your new car. Just loved reading the beautiful and detailed ownership review. Wish you lots of happy miles with your new car.

Look forward to regular updates as well as travel pics with your Yoda.
swiftvxi06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 21:19   #23
BHPian

Excellent write up of how Yoda joined your family. Kudos!

I’m looking for a car for my dad and XUV 3OO was one of the contenders but the boot space is making us think twice (or three times).

In your review, I see you also initially felt the boot space was lacking, but then your doubts were alleviated. Can you tell me if a check in suitcase and a carry on suitcase fit in that boot with the rear seat up? (Or how many bags were you able to fit in there, from your test)
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 22:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Detailed very this review is, loved very much this reading! (a tribute to Master Yoda !)

Look forward to your thread being updated with regular items, travel photos and so on.
Haha!

Mmm.. Searching for a name quite a few days we did. Fitting it is we felt!

Thank you kind sir! I can only aspire to keep this thread as updated as your Ironhide or arun_josie's Scarlette! In fact, Ironhide's stories and your excellent DIYs were my daily reads during our evaluation stage.

Mahindra deleting features is a very disappointing affair. My heart sank when I went to the stockyard to find that the passenger side request sensor has been deleted. And the reverse parking sensor has been dropped to 2 (instead of 4 in the earlier variants). I almost wanted to cancel my booking but my wife knocked some sense into me. Even without these features, the XUV300 still offered what we wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_m13 View Post
Got mine on the 4th Nov. Mine's petrol W8 and have clocked 1150 Kms till date and really love it.
Thank you and congratulations on your new car as well! Wishing you many safe and exciting miles with your XUV300!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Can you tell me if a check in suitcase and a carry on suitcase fit in that boot with the rear seat up? (Or how many bags were you able to fit in there, from your test)
Thank you for your kind words!

Oh.. quite a lot more than that. I guess the space "looks" much smaller than it actually is which is why many probably feel the space is quite small.

You can very easily fit a check-in trolley bag, a cabin trolley bag, couple of laptop bags, a camera bag and a duffel bag. And all of this will stay below the rear seat's level, so visibility isn't hampered at all.

We just did a 750km trip to come to my hometown and we carried all of the above stuff. We are traveling back to Bangalore this Saturday and I'll share the pics of the boot after we have packed.

Also, we checked for this specifically before buying. Below are some pictures from that test drive:

The suitcase on the left is the largest sized check-in trolley bag that you can buy. On the right side is a cabin sized trolley bag. This typically should be sufficient to pack everything required for a family of 4 for a week's trip.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_20211022_114111.jpg

The below configuration is a simulation of let's say an airport run. The typical set of 3 trolley bags can be fit this way and the 40% would have to be folded. In the below picture, note how the regular check-in bag and cabin bag has been kept. This would leave space on the left which is more than sufficient for a few other soft bags as mentioned earlier.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_20211022_114416.jpg

However, thanks to the wide seats the rear seat can still accommodate two adults.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_20211022_114426.jpg

Do try this out physically in a test drive! Your needs maybe different from mine and hence a physical luggage simulation will reveal whether it's a factor for you or not.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 25th November 2021 at 22:34.
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 23:20   #25

Hello Krishna, First of all congratulations for a wonderful machine.
Secondly, The ownership review, u wrote, felt straight from the heart and it seems you have given words to my feelings and when i was reading your review, i was feeling as if i was reading about my ownership experience. I too purchased the Mahindra XUV300 DMT W8(O) and guess what mine color is also Aquamarine and i purchased it on 05th August 2021. It's an incredible machine. Congratulations once again and happy wheeling to you and family.

P.S. I named my XUV300 "Nandighosh".
msonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 08:26   #26
BHPian

Congratulations and wishing you many many happy miles with your Yoda! Good to see an ownership thread for W8ODMT, which i think didn't exist exclusively. Your comments regarding boot space is kind of true. It's also easy to pack backpacks and stuff that doesn't have hard cover. I've completed about 21k km so far and will complete an year in Jan. Regarding issues, i had major rattling from the IRVM, that was replaced under warranty. No issues with parking sensors till the 20k service after which their update gave me some sensor fails. Also, the welcome and goodbye chimes are permanently activated after their infotainment software update, which I don't like at all. Otherwise, my Neptune is doing well so far with everything stock. Speakers are just average. However, i enquired and had demo of a couple of high end upgrades, which of course were good with high volumes. My normal listening volume is between 2 and 4 points, and thought high-end upgrading would be an overkill for me. So I've shelved that plan for now. Looking forward for a minor headlights upgrade - most likely with a 35W HID on low beam projectors.
Goandiaries is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 22:06   #27
BHPian

Congratulations and wishing you a very happy Journey with Yoda. As I mentioned in your earlier thread, I too had the same dilemma just an year ago. The XUV was too good to avoid. But the bootspace was a real deal breaker for me. Given you are a family of just 2, you took the best decision. Is your hometown in Kerala?
Old 27th November 2021, 16:37   #28

Nice review. I bought the same variant in Feb 2021 and it has been a pleasure to drive. Even in tight spaces its easy because of the visibility.

About PPF - How much does it take to wrap an XUV300?
Old 30th November 2021, 10:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msonwheels View Post
I too purchased the Mahindra XUV300 DMT W8(O) and guess what mine color is also Aquamarine and i purchased it on 05th August 2021.
P.S. I named my XUV300 "Nandighosh".
That's awesome! Congrats to you as well and wish you many exciting safe miles with Nandighosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Looking forward for a minor headlights upgrade - most likely with a 35W HID on low beam projectors.
21k in a year is exactly how such a car should be used!

I'm also looking forward to an HID upgrade on the projectors and had a doubt regarding this. I've heard that Halogen to LED conversion doesn't really work because the two bulbs are fundamentally different and the setup designed for Halogen will not really work for LED. However, in the case of HID, would the Halogen housings work effectively for HID bulbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
The XUV was too good to avoid. But the bootspace was a real deal breaker for me. Given you are a family of just 2, you took the best decision. Is your hometown in Kerala?
Fully agree, the XUV300 isn't the best choice for a family with 4+ adults. Here the Nexon wins the game hands down, which is why it's such a popular car as well!

Yes, I'm from Kerala. Nammude swantham Thironthoram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilan1597 View Post
About PPF - How much does it take to wrap an XUV300?
It really depends on the quality of PPF being used, workmanship and also a few other factors. It can be anywhere between Rs.500-Rs.700 per sq.ft for a high quality film. The XUV300 needs around 160sq.ft of PPF film (for all sides except the roof). So it should cost you between 80k-1.2L. You'll definitely find more affordable options but do check from other owners on two things: (1) if the workmanship was good (2) if the film held up good long-term.

The PPF only makes sense if you foresee your car to be exposed to a lot of scratch-prone environment quite a lot (and if you want to have a peace of mind ownership in terms of maintenance). My primary usage is for roadtrips where bugs smash into the car on highways, offroad sections will splash mud and stones, and narrow trails will have bushes scraping against the body. If I were to keep the paint condition the same way, I'll have to do frequent paint correction reducing the paint thickness very quickly and risking body rusting in the future.

Quote:
You can very easily fit a check-in trolley bag, a cabin trolley bag, couple of laptop bags, a camera bag and a duffel bag. And all of this will stay below the rear seat's level, so visibility isn't hampered at all.
As promised earlier, a real-life example of the above being fit in the boot space.

Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-whatsapp-image-20211129-19.28.10.jpeg

Last edited by krishnakumar : 30th November 2021 at 10:07.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
21k in a year is exactly how such a car should be used!

I'm also looking forward to an HID upgrade on the projectors and had a doubt regarding this. I've heard that Halogen to LED conversion doesn't really work because the two bulbs are fundamentally different and the setup designed for Halogen will not really work for LED. However, in the case of HID, would the Halogen housings work effectively for HID bulbs?
I am not sure about the performance of LEDs in the halogen housing of XUV300. However, I have seen many people doing it, claiming increased performance. I am not a fan of the currently available temperature of LEDs, usually in the 6000k range. In case if I find any LEDs around 4000-4500k range I might just give a try. On the other hand I have upgraded the bulb projector setup with Osram's 35W HID 4200k - the output is better than halogens and good enough for highway drives with rain. However, I didn't find much difference in my visibility when there are oncoming high beamers in 2 lane roads - I still get blinded

Most Viewed