Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 00:06   #1
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast

MY EXPERIENCE BEHIND THE WHEEL

I have been driving a 2010 i20 Sportz CRDI for almost 11 years and have already clocked a happy 130K kms in it. Prior to this, my family had a STD M800, which we owned for 10 years/70K kms, driven equally by me and my mom. So overall i have an experience of driving for more than 20 years and ~165K kms.

This is my i20 after 11 years/130K kms
Name:  i20Combined.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  98.2 KB

EXPERIENCE WITH THE LITTLE BEAST - i20 CRDI SPORTZ
Having graduated from a classic M800 STD, i20 CRDI initially felt like a jet. But the fact is, even today after 11 years it is the same beast. The 1.4 Ltr CRDI engine is one thar puts many bigger sedans to shame. It’s straight line acceleration brings a wide grin on my face every time the turbo spools up.

Things which I enjoyed thoroughly with her
  1. Straight line acceleration
  2. The 6th gear is fun to drive. A century and a half on the speedometer is effortless
  3. Feather light steering to drive within the city limits
  4. Can munch miles at lengths -> have driven her for 700+kms in a single day
  5. Very practical and excellent quality interiors -> No rattles even today, easy accessibility of all the controls, storage for all necessary items, driver side one-touch down as well as one touch up (this one is very rare but extremely important IMO, don’t know why we don’t find this very common), cooled glovebox, under-the-seat rear AC vents, etc.
Things which did not quite grow up on me over these years
  1. Turbo lag -> It's a beast when the turbo spools up at ~2000 rpm. But until you reach that mark it feels like eternity
  2. No ABS -> One of the biggest sore points !
  3. Frequent gear shifting -> the not so good aspect of the 6 speed gear box I guess
  4. Suspensions -> You cannot just throw uneven or bad roads at her randomly. She is not comfortable at these, and won’t keep you comfortable either
  5. Steering on high speeds -> the steering doesn’t weigh up at high speeds. Very risky for someone new behind the wheel
  6. Exterior design -> Personally, I am more fond of designs with straight lines and clean surfaces. In this segment I like Polo more than i20.

REASONS WHICH MADE ME LOOK FOR A NEW CAR

1. My highway runs have been roughly to the north of 80% of total mileage
  2. Plus, my family has grown over these years, in terms of age as well as number
  3. I also wanted something which could accommodate my friends on occasional trips.
For these reasons, I was looking for something bigger, more sturdy and more safe on highways.

ASPECTS WHICH INFLUENCED MY DECISION

1. Decision to not to sell i20
    The beast was doing just fine, and I believe in holding a car for longer term. We can get a good perspective on this from the below article by GTO.
    Link -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...to-longer.html (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer))
    So by not selling it, I had the luxury to buy a car which would be exclusively meant for highways, i20 being my city work horse
  2. Impact of rapidly changing automobile trends
    • Focus shifting to electric vehicles -> IMO, this is going to be faster and abrupt than we anticipate
    • Rising cost of ownership -> focus shifting to subscription based models
    Given these factors, I had a feeling that the next car I buy would probably be one of my last ICE cars 'owned' !
    And hence, the most important criteria that I had was ->
  3. My heart would have a slightly more weight over my head while making the final call !!!
    Other criteria which shaped my decision:
  4. A rugged, safe and a mile muncher SUV, which would serve me for the next 10 years/150K kms
  5. A spacious one. My definition of space -> Should accommodate 5 + 2 people (occasionally) OR 5 people at their super comfort + 15 days of luggage
  6. No 4x4
  7. Preferably MT (Am i old school?)
  8. No preference to the tech features like HUDs, 360 degree cameras, driving modes, auto braking, etc. I don’t see them as worth spending for in the Indian conditions (I am old school probably)
  9. It has to be a used car -> GTOs article on New vs Used car gave me a perspective to this long back.
    Link -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...-used-car.html (ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car)
    Plus, no car of my criteria was less than 20 lacs if I were to buy it new. And I firmly believe that it is not worth spending that much today, in the segment that I was looking for.
  10. And finally, the Budget
    • I had set a limit of 10 to 12 lacs (+ 2 lacs as buffer for an extremely good deal)
    • My average final cost of ownership (excluding fuel) on the car should not be more than 1.5 lac per year for the duration of my ownership
    • No loan, or at least no car loan. Used car loans are priced exorbitantly.

EXPLORING AND EVALUATING THE USED CAR MARKET

The used car market is complex. Apart from the conventional dealers, there are half a dozen online channels. I primarily used OLX, Car Trade and Cars24.
There are more number of dimensions to evaluate a used car, than the new car. And to add to that complexity, most of the dimensions are interlinked. Below are few of the important dimensions which I considered
  1. Mileage
    This seems pretty straight forward at the start. Less mileage, better the deal. But now add another dimensions to this.
  2. City run vs highway runs
    Car wears and tears more if it’s mostly a run within the city limits. So I preferred, for e.g. a 10K kms car mostly run on highways (of-course no rural) vs a 5K kms run car which is city driven
  3. Service history
    This one is tricky. If the car is serviced from an authorized service center, then in most probable case you would get the service history. But in my experience, that is not the only way one would maintain a car optimally and economically. Many enthusiast would agree on this forum, there are multiple avenues where one could maintain the car in a much cost effective way rather than to take the car to the authorized service centre always. Now, it is up to the owner to maintain in detail the expenses if the car is serviced outside.
    Analogy: If you have a simple cold and cough, you prefer to go to a nearby general physician, who most will be your family doctor. You don’t go to a big multi-specialty hospital in this case.
  4. Who has driven the car
    A car driven by a full time experienced driver is in most probable case in a better shape even after 5 years, than a year old car driven by someone who has recently learned driving. It also depends on whether or not the owner is a car enthusiast, or someone who looks at the car as just another means of commute.
  5. Selling reason – Why the car is on sale? Accident? Maintenance issues? Claim depreciation? Liked a new car? Parking issues? Or the pandemic?
  6. Price – The price of an used car is also driven by all the above factors.
  7. Finally, the gut feeling – at the end of the day when you test drive a car, you should get that feeling of “yeah – that’s the car”.
Thus, it becomes pretty difficult to evaluate any used car. This also makes the car segmentations little blur. For e.g., An 8 year old D2 segment car can be priced almost equal to a 4 years old C2 segment car. And in some cases, it actually makes sense to go for the 8 year old D2 one than with the relatively newer C2 one.

OPTIONS WHICH I SEARCHED AND EVALUATED

1. Innovas & Crystas | 2013 - 2018 | Mostly 1 lakh to 1.5 Lakh kms on odo
    What I liked
    • Solid built, Toyota reliability
    • Absolute fuss free maintenance, Toyota service network
    • Miles muncher -> can drive it at lengths without any stress
    • Spacious by my definition
    What really did not click
    • These are MUVs and not SUVs
    • Many of them on offer were 7 seater. Middle row captain seats are not to my and my family’s liking
    • For most Crystas, Initial cost + repair were above my average cost of ownership criteria
    • A ‘Yes’ to Innova or Crysta was coming more from the head than heart
  2. Cretas & Seltos | 2016 to 2018 | 30K to 60K kms on Odo
    What I liked
    • Refined engines
    • Better NHV level
    • Power, ease of drivability were excellent
    • Plush interiors
    • Not spacious by my definition
    • These are bigger cars and NOT SUVs
    • Not rugged, these are delicate cars
    • The premium for the tech features (driving modes/360 camera/HUD etc) which I don’t feel worth
    • Having owned an i20 for all these years, the driving feel wasn’t much different
  3. A couple of Fortuners | 2011 to 2013 | 60K to 120K kms on odo
    As I said, the used car market allowed my budget to even fancy some D2 segment cars. SUVs like these are built to outlast their owners.
    What I liked
    • Solid built SUV, Toyota reliability
    • Absolute fuss free maintenance, Toyota service network
    • Miles cruncher -> can drive it at lengths (Innova fares better though)
    • Spacious by my definition
    • The stiff ride quality. Even my family did not like the middle row seats
    • The cars which I test drove were very shabbily maintained
    • Mostly available were in white colour, which was a Strict NO for a Fortuner
    • In my head I wasn’t able to stay with the thought of having owned a Fortuner for more than 2-3 days at a stretch
  4. Scorpios and XUV500s | 2012 to 2018 | 30K to 150K on Odo
    Quite a few Scorpios and XUV500s were well within my budget. In fact I would have got a good deal if I would have searched here in a bit of depth. But I, neither my wife, really like these designs. No offense, but it is a personal choice. I like something with clean, straight line design.
    I did not even evaluate any pros and cons for these two.
  5. Ford Endeavour Old Gen | 2014 + | <80K
    All the Endeavours that were available on the online market were of either 2010 or 2011. Also, none were run below the mark of 80K. Plus, I was little sceptical about the mileage, having read some reviews about the car running only 6 to 7 km per litre of diesel.

6. TATA SAFARI STORME | 2016 to 2018 | <80K on the Odo
    To be honest, of the total no. of searches I would have made for the used cars, more than half of them would have been on “Tata Safari Storme Varicor”. The comfort, the road view, the ruggedness, the drive, the space, the clean straight line no-non-sense exterior design is something I always admired.
    Of the Safaris, I had ruled out the Dicor given that it was discontinued way back.
    In Storme, I was particularly interested in the Varicor 400 version, ODO reading less than 80K. After searching for a while, I realized that the Varicor 400 is one of the toughest vehicles to get in the used car market. I cited two reasons for the scarcity
    • The initial sale itself was miniscule, so there are very few of them on the road
    • The people who own it, hardly ever sell it.
    Though, to my luck, I had found one of these on OLX !
    • Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 VX 4x2 | 2018 | 60K on Odo
      I had found this one on OLX in the month of March 2021. It was a 2018 manufactured and driven for 60K. Asking price was 12 lacs (non-negotiable). But this was on sale in Kolhapur. And then we went into second lockdown. So I could never go and visit the dealer. By the time the travel restrictions were lifted, the vehicle was off the charts. Did I say luck before ??

But then the destiny, as they say…

• TATA SAFARI STORME VARICOR 320 VX 4x2 | 2016 | 59990 on Odo
      I was actually test driving some other vehicle on the highway, when I saw one bronze Safari Storme parked at a dealer’s place, right in the middle of all the vehicles on the display. Being a Safari, it caught my attention instantly. I completed the ongoing test drive and went home, with that storm(e) still in my thoughts. Later in the day, me and my wife visited the dealership to test the vehicle.

First Impression
The vehicle had just arrived at the dealer’s place and seemed in a pretty good condition. There were couple of minor scratches, but the overall fit and finish looked intact. Tyres had 25% to 30% life left in them. Interiors seemed to be well maintained. In fact, the owner had removed the third row jump seats, and instead had put a nice cushion all over the third row space (refer the pic below). Looking at these, the owner seemed an enthusiast. To my eye, the vehicle did not looked accidental or flood affected. I verified the RC documents, all seemed fine. Also cross checked the vehicle details on the online RTO site, it matched the documents shown to me.

The Test Drive
I quickly asked for the test drive. The drive quality was good. Clutch was lighter than my i20. The engine was smooth. I took her to some rough surfaces and the suspensions also seemed to be in good condition. And most importantly, the criteria of prime importance among all other things, my wife also liked the ride.
During the test ride conversations with the dealer he told me that the car belonged to a diamond merchant in Mumbai. He was selling the vehicle due to lack of parking space (vertical space) in his new residence, which had the vertical double parking system.

Inspection in Detail
The next day, I asked the dealer to get the vehicle to a nearby TASS. I got the vehicle thoroughly checked. The service advisor gave me a green signal to go ahead with the deal. Following were few things which needed attention:
  1. Regular service with oil change was due (which anyways I would have got it done the first thing)
  2. There was a gap in the front left side window glass, which led little air pass through inside at high speeds
  3. One of the rear brake lights needed replacement
  4. Antenna was missing
  5. Front and rear wiper blades needed replacement
  6. Last row seats, which were taken out, were rusted. (apparently the owner had removed these on the first day itself and the seats were lying in his garage since then)
  7. Flip key cover was damaged, spare key electronic circuit was damaged
  8. The car needed a good polish

Negotiations
Arranging finances was not a problem, given the quoted price was well below my allocated budget. I started negotiating. We agreed on a number + the dealer taking care of the last six items (in the list above) and ownership transfer by himself

Finally, The Moment
Two things were kind of nagging me:
  • Serviceability
    T.A.S.S = Gamble (how many times these two words have been written together in this forum?)
    Though I am also open to get it serviced outside T.A.S.S, but I need a reliable, trusted mechanic/garage in Pune. In leads TBHP?
  • Parts availability of a discontinued model -> T.A.S.S confirmed that parts availability would not be an issue, but at times can take some time.

But then, as my heart had a slight weightage over my head, I took the call and booked the car by giving the dealer the token amount. I told the dealer that I would take the delivery the same day, so he started getting the car ready with all the points he had to take care of.

Below is the first pic of the car just before I booked it
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-prebooking.jpg

And in the evening, the car was ready to be delivered
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-delivery.jpg

While I am writing this thread, the car ODO stands at 64000KM. Having driven it for 4K in last two and half months, below are my impressions:

What I am loving
  • Supreme Ride quality
  • 2.2 Ltr Varicor engine is butter smooth once it gets warmed up
  • Glides over roads, good or bad doesn’t matter
  • The third row seat setup is being thoroughly enjoyed by my son (a very rare praise for the Safari old gen's third row seat)
  • The highted seating position
  • The driver’s view – who needs a 360 degree camera setup? (though reverse camera is sorely missed)
  • Low end torque
  • Negligible turbo lag
  • The steering – Coming from an electronically powered steering, which is feather light in cities but doesn’t weigh up as you speed up, this hydraulic steering setup is such a confidence booster on highways. Even within the city limits, the manoeuvrability is manageable.
  • Don’t have to change the gears as frequently as I do in my i20
  • Space - It is huge. Recently i did an airport trip to drop my friend and his family, who was moving to Canada for good. He was carrying 120+ kgs of luggage, + i had 5 passengers in the car, including the driver (of course me).
  • AC – coming from the Hyundai lineage, Tata ACs are chilling for me. It is like changing the base from south to north.
  • Road Presence – Definitely a head turner
  • Turning radius - For the car of this size, the turning radius is such a boon, especially for parking in tight spots (like my parking space)
  • Mileage – 13 to 14, with 90% driven on highways
What could have been better
  • I sorely miss the Reverse camera
  • Vibrations on the steering wheel on the rough patches
  • Absence of a touch display – This is more of a aesthetics though
  • The AC vents when completely folded down lets the cold air pass through. This becomes very annoying when the AC is chilling cold, even at level 1.
  • The bottles in the door bottle compartments rattle at times, make annoying noise over rough roads. Need to put some dampeners
  • Same with the storage space on the top of the dashboard. On extremely bad roads, the lid even opens up automatically. Can’t even put any dampener here
  • I miss the ‘One touch up’ for the power window, which is there in my i20

Few niggles specially with my car
Enough of words. Let the pictures do the rest of the talking.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-frontsideangle.jpg

This was after a nice 2 days of detailing. I did the detailing from CarzSpa Baner Pune. And IMO they did a fantastic job.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-sideprofile_afterdetailing.jpg

The dashboard is neat and clean.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-thedashboardview.jpg

The gear knob has some scratches and the leather wrapping it is slightly worn out -> the diamond rings effect probably (it was owned by a diamond merchant)
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-gearknob.jpg

The front row seats
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-frontrowfrominside.jpg

The middle row seats
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-middlerowfrominside.jpg

The third row redesigned. Look at how neatly the side cushions have been customised to fit the cut out where the jump seats are attached. My son loves his small room. A rare praise for the old gen third row seats
Name:  ThirdRowFullView.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  73.2 KB

The rear profile
Name:  Rear Profile.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  123.0 KB

Driver's front view. You get to see the top of almost all the cars from this hieght.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-driverview.jpg

Driver's rear view - Combined from all the mirrors. Would anyone still require a 360 degree camera feature?
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-rear-view-combined.jpg

The stock bridgestone duelers, as of 64K kms -
Name:  Tyres.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  107.6 KB

The sisters smiling together
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-thesisters.jpg

ENDING NOTE - Why my heart lead me to take this decision ???

-Sometime back in the year 2001-2002, during my college days, me and few of my friends (7-8 of us) were just chilling out at our usual hangout place. We were known for being a very noisy group, and at that moment we were actually giving utmost respect to our reputation of being that way. While the decibel levels were at the peak, suddenly a Safari (Dicor then) passed by. And for a split second, there was an eerily silence around. This silence would have been more prominent for the people who wouldn't have noticed the car. But for us, who just loved the beauty, the stance and the road presence of this beast, it was a kind of a subconsciously agreed pause. The very next moment we were back to our business and the decibel levels were again back to the previous level. No one spoke anything about that momentary silence, until couple of hours later, only when we were heading back to our homes, little exhausted, I whispered to one of my friends to whom I was the pillion rider - "I will have that one in my garage at least once in my lifetime" !

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-thetatasafaristorme.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2021 at 22:46. Reason: Typo; Number plate masked
PassionateDrive is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 05:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 08:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast

A man after my own heart!!
That college incident was the same for me, in terms of the central idea. That car looks absolutely amazing. I was in the same boat from last year before the lockdown. However I had to have the 4x4. Didn't find it and bought another car. The yearning for that car is still there, and I'm hoping to satisfy that base urge some time in the future.
Enjoy that car, it's the only true Safari.
mayankk is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 10:40   #4
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast

Always have a soft spot for Safari (the real Safari). I was in school when I had seen the Safari in flesh for first time outside my school and I was speechless. I just couldn't get my head around it. It had a massive road presence. This is how my love towards cars started.

Your vehicle looks mesmerizing. 60k on odo is nothing for this beast, it is just getting warmed up. Congratulations on this great find. The color also looks very good. Just slap in a nice touch screen and you are good to go.

Wishing you many miles ahead.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on buying a legendary car

It's a no-non sense workhorse. As you have said, the turning radius is unbelievably small for a 4.7 meter SUV.

The Varicor 400 came with a 6 speed MT, which had even better fuel efficiency & driveability.

You can easily get 16 kmpl provided you cruise at 100 kmph. I have gotten upto 17.9 kmpl with my Varicor 400.

Urban bronze was the color of my choice in 2018 when I bought my Storme. Unfortunately for me, the SUV was nearing the end of its life cycle and white was the only colour we could book. Urban bronze was made to order and there was a 3 months waiting period to it.

Enjoy the car, and keep it for a long long time. The 2.2 diesel mill is a very reliable unit. I myself have used it for 2.9 lakh km over 3 SUVs, in 3 different states of tune.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st November 2021 at 11:28.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Storme looks absolutely mesmerizing in all the pictures you’ve captured. Bronze color looks apt for the mammoth. Congratulations, sir! Happy and safe driving and please do keep this thread active with the beasts’ pictures.

Now this is seriously weirdly motivating me to look at pre-owned route for bigger SUVs. I’m pretty spoilt by the comfort my Brezza offers I’ve the taste for bigger SUVs. Buying new is not going to be working out for me. So preowned route it is for sure! Never know I could end up with a Storme too in the coming years as I’m dearly wanting an upgrade over 1.3 DDiS already after the diesels are now an endangered species in automotive world right now because of impending EV revolution :(
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 14:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
What could have been better[*]Vibrations on the steering wheel on the rough patches[*]The AC vents when completely folded down lets the cold air pass through. This becomes very annoying when the AC is chilling cold, even at level 1.[*]The bottles in the door bottle compartments rattle at times, make annoying noise over rough roads. Need to put some dampeners
Steering vibrations point out to worn out Steering Tie Rods. Pl. change and see

For the AC chillness, you mentioned that you put on Level -1 which I believe you are referring to the blower level. Please adjust temperature by the thermostat and you will be comfortable as you would like. Most people rarely use it and adjust cooling level by the fan speed

For the bottle rattle, stick a Felt cloth available at stationery shops in the bottle holder inside and it will be sorted for life.

Enjoy the 400NM
KkVaidya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 16:04   #8

Quote:
[h3]

ENDING NOTE - Why my heart lead me to take this decision ???

-Sometime back in the year 2001-2002, during my college days, me and few of my friends (7-8 of us) were just chilling out at our usual hangout place. We were known for being a very noisy group, and at that moment we were actually giving utmost respect to our reputation of being that way. While the decibel levels were at the peak, suddenly a Safari (Dicor then) passed by. And for a split second, there was an eerily silence around. This silence would have been more prominent for the people who wouldn't have noticed the car. But for us, who just loved the beauty, the stance and the road presence of this beast, it was a kind of a subconsciously agreed pause. The very next moment we were back to our business and the decibel levels were again back to the previous level. No one spoke anything about that momentary silence, until couple of hours later, only when we were heading back to our homes, little exhausted, I whispered to one of my friends to whom I was the pillion rider - "I will have that one in my garage at least once in my lifetime" !

Attachment 2225178
Nice review @PassionateDrive. Really loved it- especially, the third row setup in your Safari; it's more useful and comfortable rather than having those two jump seats there.

Safari Storme was actually a gem of an SUV. I was also looking for a used Safari Strome couple of years back to replace my Tata Tiago; however at that time I could not find a good option in the market. Hence, had to drop that plan. After reading your review, all those memories again ran through my mind.

Wish you a very enjoyable, long & satisfying ownership of this beast
Cool-Shine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 16:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
No one spoke anything about that momentary silence, until couple of hours later, only when we were heading back to our homes, little exhausted, I whispered to one of my friends to whom I was the pillion rider - "I will have that one in my garage at least once in my lifetime" !

Attachment 2225178
This gave me goosebumps.

I remember saying something similar to my friend when we used to wake up at wee hours just to catch a glimpse of the only superbike club in NCR, the GODS.

Happy miles with the beast, mate!
Nitish.arnold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:15   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on the beast!

Welcome to the club.

lucky you, you've got the facelift with the better clutch. I'm only 19 years young and have developed an affection to my mom's grand i10 auto thanks to the safari's hard and heavy clutch. And believe me you, except for the mileage, you won't miss much in the 320nm tune as against the 400nm engine.

Please please please keep a watch on where you fill her up from, the injectors are one problematic pain in the tailpipe. tak tak tak noise like a tractor. Many safari owners have had no problems due to usage of addons like system D. Please do try.

Hope you enjoy the ownership for lakhs of kilometres to come!

Replacing this one when the time comes will be one hell of a task!

Allow me to show my car off too :P
2013, VX 4x2 explorer
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-20210505_173122-copy.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-s20-speedup-import-march-2021-9569-copy.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 1st November 2021 at 19:27.
viXit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 23:10   #11
BHPian

Very nice write up!
I particularly love the 3rd row setup. We have been wondering about a nice option where the dog can sit on longer road trips and this looks good! But I guess the luggage will have to go in a roof rack. Was thinking of innovas but this seems like a good alternative!
Amsdoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:52   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on living up your dream. Little emotional touch at the end makes heart warm. I remember that it was a great looker in early 2001/02/03 and warrented a second look and third and the fourth whenever it passed by. That character is also possessed by your car.

I wish you many happy miles behind the wheel.
RajeevSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
A man after my own heart!!
That college incident was the same for me, in terms of the central idea. That car looks absolutely amazing. I was in the same boat from last year before the lockdown. However I had to have the 4x4. Didn't find it and bought another car. The yearning for that car is still there, and I'm hoping to satisfy that base urge some time in the future.
Enjoy that car, it's the only true Safari.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Always have a soft spot for Safari (the real Safari). I was in school when I had seen the Safari in flesh for first time outside my school and I was speechless. I just couldn't get my head around it. It had a massive road presence. This is how my love towards cars started.

Your vehicle looks mesmerizing. 60k on odo is nothing for this beast, it is just getting warmed up. Congratulations on this great find. The color also looks very good. Just slap in a nice touch screen and you are good to go.

Wishing you many miles ahead.
Fitting an after market touch screen in this car is another task man. Not a straight forward thing. I found one shop in Raipur, plan to go there in January next year. Let's see if that fits in my budget.
Thank you for your wishes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Congratulations on buying a legendary car

It's a no-non sense workhorse. As you have said, the turning radius is unbelievably small for a 4.7 meter SUV.

The Varicor 400 came with a 6 speed MT, which had even better fuel efficiency & driveability.

You can easily get 16 kmpl provided you cruise at 100 kmph. I have gotten upto 17.9 kmpl with my Varicor 400.

Urban bronze was the color of my choice in 2018 when I bought my Storme. Unfortunately for me, the SUV was nearing the end of its life cycle and white was the only colour we could book. Urban bronze was made to order and there was a 3 months waiting period to it.

Enjoy the car, and keep it for a long long time. The 2.2 diesel mill is a very reliable unit. I myself have used it for 2.9 lakh km over 3 SUVs, in 3 different states of tune.
Thanks man. You yourself have maintained quite an excellent ownership thread. It has definitely helped me in someway in making the final decision. Thanks.
I was actually looking out for the 400 one. But very difficult to get it in the used car market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Storme looks absolutely mesmerizing in all the pictures you’ve captured. Bronze color looks apt for the mammoth. Congratulations, sir! Happy and safe driving and please do keep this thread active with the beasts’ pictures.

Now this is seriously weirdly motivating me to look at pre-owned route for bigger SUVs. I’m pretty spoilt by the comfort my Brezza offers I’ve the taste for bigger SUVs. Buying new is not going to be working out for me. So preowned route it is for sure! Never know I could end up with a Storme too in the coming years as I’m dearly wanting an upgrade over 1.3 DDiS already after the diesels are now an endangered species in automotive world right now because of impending EV revolution :(
Thanks. What I have learnt during my process is that you need a bit of patience while looking out in the used car market. Having an existing working car definitely helps in a way that we are not in a hurry. We can take our own sweet time.
All the best for your search !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Steering vibrations point out to worn out Steering Tie Rods. Pl. change and see

For the AC chillness, you mentioned that you put on Level -1 which I believe you are referring to the blower level. Please adjust temperature by the thermostat and you will be comfortable as you would like. Most people rarely use it and adjust cooling level by the fan speed

For the bottle rattle, stick a Felt cloth available at stationery shops in the bottle holder inside and it will be sorted for life.

Enjoy the 400NM
I did check with TASS for the steering wheel vibrations, but everything seems intact. The vibrations are only on extremely bad roads. I have read similar reviews on other threads on this forum. Having said this, i will check again for the tie rods in my next service. Thanks for the suggestion, it helps.
For AC, I am still getting used to the manual temperature control setting in the Storme. My i20 has ACC, so it hasn't been such a fuss.
For the bottle vibrations I had similar idea. Will get it done during coming holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Congratulations on the beast!

Welcome to the club.

lucky you, you've got the facelift with the better clutch. I'm only 19 years young and have developed an affection to my mom's grand i10 auto thanks to the safari's hard and heavy clutch. And believe me you, except for the mileage, you won't miss much in the 320nm tune as against the 400nm engine.

Please please please keep a watch on where you fill her up from, the injectors are one problematic pain in the tailpipe. tak tak tak noise like a tractor. Many safari owners have had no problems due to usage of addons like system D. Please do try.

Hope you enjoy the ownership for lakhs of kilometres to come!

Replacing this one when the time comes will be one hell of a task!

Allow me to show my car off too :P
2013, VX 4x2 explorer
Nice car you have man. Those decals look fabulous! Congratulations on maintaining such a nice car.
Tata made the clutch a lot better i guess in the Varicor models (2015+).
On the additives part, I am a bit fussy on adding anything which is not recommended by the manufacturer.
Thanks for your wishes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Very nice write up!
I particularly love the 3rd row setup. We have been wondering about a nice option where the dog can sit on longer road trips and this looks good! But I guess the luggage will have to go in a roof rack. Was thinking of innovas but this seems like a good alternative!
Thanks Doc. The head space in this car is more than what we would get in Innova I reckon. Your dog would love the third row setup as mine IMO. If the dog occupies the third row, the luggage definitely has to go up.
However, Innova's are relatively easy to maintain, given the Toyota service. Also, getting a used Innova in the market is easier than that of Safari (of-course if you are looking for a used one). Totally depends on your liking.
All the best for your search.
PassionateDrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:45   #14
BHPian

In a flash of a moment , you have become a SOUL member which is a enviable stuff itself . Legends never die , so will this iteration of Safari for decades to come .
One of my friend bought the storm with same colour last year and smile on his face every time I see him narrates all the story so far . Congratulations for your grand purchase .
quattroa4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 18:56   #15
BHPian

Loved reading every bit of it. I think I saw this car parked at a used car dealer in Wakad, Pune. Also the style of the number plate suggests it's from the same place. Been using a storme for the last 7 years and let me tell you, nothing can match the supreme comfort of this behemoth on the highways. I've done 1200 kms in a single day without any fatigue later.

Wishing you trouble free miles with the beast.

This is my beloved beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 4x2 Ownership Review | Bought a pre-worshipped beast-lrm_export_88504895915299_20200612_012008533.jpeg  

Oranger is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks