Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2021, 15:33   #91
BHPian

Re: Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
What's their response?
Their response is that, it's only me who reported this issue. Any other owners here have experience this ? or am I the chosen one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I'm surprised at the software glitches too. ....
Its software. I knew how I coded. I would crash a PC with just a printf statement. I'm sure software issues can be rectified at some point. Also RCA is a little challenging. Take the volume burst issue, I have been having. One some occasions, it does and most occasions it doesn't. No pattern. At least not yet. I'm not loosing sleep over software issues. Having to drive a Kia, I'm getting to know first hand, how Mahindra compares with the rest. Will post a detailed review later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
@Mudhalaipatti This thread of yours is basically the Official Review thread for this vehicle, at least for me
Thank you for the kind words.

And bhpians, here is a walkthrough of the installed 7D Floor Mats.

I don't have any experience with these numbered floor mats, and so draw your own conclusions. Would be happy to answer any questions though. Btw when I first heard 7D, I thought these guys have developed a new realm, a a new dimension where you would get pedicured while you drive !!
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:58   #92
BHPian

Great write up @Mudhalaipatti and congratulations on becoming a proud owner of the 700

A family-friend recently got the delivery of the 700 AX5 (diesel AT). While driving, he noticed 'thumping' sound on braking (something similar to barrel filled with liquid would make due to inertia). We associate this 'thump' to the fuel in the fuel tank since it became prominent after a tank full. Did you notice anything similar on your vehicle or should he get his car inspected?
agrajagarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 00:35   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Their response is that, it's only me who reported this issue. Any other owners here have experience this ? or am I the chosen one ?
That's crazy. Thank heavens you have enough patience. I would have probably flipped.

By the way, I drove the car again and that hollow sounding thud was not heard once. It was tarmac. And broken tarmac. Just like you had described.

This was 4500 odd km run test drive vehicle so can't say they have improved on it.
fazalmirza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 10:46   #94
BHPian

Considering the sand storm I drive through every day, having a screen protector on the gorgeous display, to stay gorgeous, was felt. Ordered one from Amazon.

Here is how wide this is.
Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-screenprotector1.jpg

Before and After Installation
Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-screenprotector2.jpgRed Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-screenprotector3.jpg

A Closer look at the notch.
Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review-screenprotector4.jpg

Btw update on the car cover.
  • The cover is neither water proof, nor water resistant.
  • However surprisingly, it manages to keep most dust off. I barely get to use my duster anymore.
  • However as the cover is not water resistant, dew drops seep in under and dry up on the metal and glass surface, making water spots. While I don't get to use the outer anymore, I now spend the time in the morning to clean the glass area, which btw is huge.

And update on FE and my hypothesis on why I'm getting low numbers, while AT numbers are quite high.
  • FE in city driver hovers at around 10 with light load (3 Adults)
  • FE on highway hovers at around 11 with full load (7 Adults)
  • Petrol FE is highly susceptible to load. In my diesel XUV500, load barely mattered. Keep a light load and keep a light foot, FE may be higher at around 11-12 in City and around 12-14 in highway
  • I may have overloaded the engine, during the run-in period with the "always on AC" setup. I.e I keep the AC in auto, even while cold starting the vehicle. Do you guys think and suggest that the AC be turned on, after started the engine and giving it a few seconds ?

And update on the software niggles. I'm going to keep this, a running list. Hopefully we wouldn't have to go with a google sheets list, unlike the XUV500.
  • Volume Not set to user limit, but a system default, every time the vehicle starts. Volume has to be set manually, after the initial blare.
  • Volume set to play only on left speakers only, once in 2 days. A reset to default in the settings menu removes this anomaly and lets sound play from all speakers.
  • Once a week or so, reverse camera doesn't comeup. Restarting the car resolves the issue. (no cltr+alt+del eh Mahindra ?).
  • Alexa responds to in-cabin conversations. Some random word, no where repeated to Alexa summons her. A "Never Mind" shuts her down. But she does peep in on our conversations.
  • The MID/Steeering Mounted controls have a very weird timing. I have figured out, that it's not a single tap or double tap, but a long press that would bring up the menu options in MID. It's somewhere at the 2.0973651939 second mark. If you press less or more, the menu doesn't come up.

And an update on the volume settings.
  • The seat belt warning sound and the overspeed warning sound volume can't be user controlled. It's set to a default value and not user configurable.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 15th December 2021 at 11:01.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 10:02   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Pre Car Buying
Some old timers may recollect me as the owner of a Red XUV5OO from a long time ago. My ownership experience was short-lived as I had to fly off to a far off land for almost a decade. This pandemic was already shifting some of my priorities, when a personal encounter with Mr.COVID and life flashing before my eyes, made me realize that I should donate at least 20L to an Indian Car Manufacturer.

I have exhausted the max pic count for a thread and other videos and pics will have to wait for another post. Also the rains are relentless. I don't want the Red Rage dressed up in a Mud Rage. Another exhaustive review of the software features/app, with a different set of videos and photos is coming up. Stay tuned.
Congratulations on your new XUV 7OO! This is a well written ownership review and extremely helpful for new users and ones anticipating purchase. I have booked my XUV 7OO AWD L AT Diesel and anxiously waiting as delivery dates keep getting pushed, it's now slated for Dec end delivery. It's good to see M&M looking into the service part seriously, this will be my first Mahindra vehicle after owning Maruti for more than a decade.

One request, can you provide the link for products purchased online like screen protector, mats etc. I'm not able to see one with a notch on Amazon.in.

Wishing you happy miles with the Red Rage!
Raghunath Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 10:03   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I keep the AC in auto, even while cold starting the vehicle. Do you guys think and suggest that the AC be turned on, after started the engine and giving it a few seconds ?
The standard practice is to turn off the A/C before switching off the vehicle. Never crank the engine with the A/C in ON position. If you do so, you are prematurely wearing out the starter motor and the battery. Simply put the car draws more power from the battery when cranking itself. Leaving the A/C on before starting, will induce much more load on the battery & co. Also, have heard of compressor failures due to this.

Ventilate the cabin for a minute and then switch on the A/C. Turn it off, a KM before you end the drive with the blower functioning alone. This slightly helps in reducing the rate of mould formation in the evaporator core.

Quote:
Not case with XUV7OO. When I kept the vehicle at 21C, it felt pretty warm and then I had to turn the blower to face.
Quote:
Yup, yup, yup. I expected the petrol to stay silent and not grove to the beat. Have you sat in the second row ? The vibration is even more pronounced. This vehicle does vibrate, idling.
And yes, I've already experienced the poor HVAC setup and the viby rear bench in the XUV7OO in my TD as below,
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
7. AC is very average. Though it was a rainy night and AC even set to 19°C in drivers side, didn't throw chill blast of air. Same applies for the rear as well
9. Poor engine mounts? Vibrations are more pronounced in the rear bench when the car is idling
And, your impressions on the vehicle are much appreciated.
eccentric is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 18:40   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post

One request, can you provide the link for products purchased online like screen protector, mats etc. I'm not able to see one with a notch on Amazon.in.

Wishing you happy miles with the Red Rage!
Thank you and here you go -> https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09KY9ZRS4?psc=1.

(Not sure if this breaks forum rules. If this post gets deleted, I shall PM you the link)
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 19:32   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
Quote:
I have incidentally also purchased the screen guard posted here by Mudhalaipatti and can vouch for the fact that there is a notch, unlike the accessory offered as part of official Mahindra list. Also, the price of this on Amazon is half of what Mahindra quoted for theirs.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 19:38   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you and here you go -> https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09KY9ZRS4?psc=1.

(Not sure if this breaks forum rules. If this post gets deleted, I shall PM you the link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I have incidentally also purchased the screen guard posted here by Mudhalaipatti and can vouch for the fact that there is a notch, unlike the accessory offered as part of official Mahindra list. Also, the price of this on Amazon is half of what Mahindra quoted for theirs.
Thank you so much @Mudhalaipatti and @IamNikhil.
While the product description does not show a notch, I have gone ahead and placed the order. Following your threads closely.

Hope I get to use the screen guard soon
Raghunath Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 20:54   #100
BHPian

What's with our people

I wanted to brush off certain things as "Driving Hazards", but when it's repetitive, it tends to establish a pattern.

I already knew that our driving standards are pretty low, bordering on suicidal. However I just accepted it as unintentional. It's just a combination of things that just makes driving a deadly affair - i.e no shoulder space on highways (right and left). Even that minuscule space disappearing on bridges, culverts etc. No lane markings on city roads, generally bad roads etc, all contribute to everyone developing not so good driving habits. Not just two wheelers, four wheelers, ten wheelers. All.

I owned a XUV500 and lived in Chennai and drove close to 600 km every week. (No, I didn't drive a Taxi. No, I didn't do a smuggle run) and barring just two instances which left two dents on the car, driving was OKish. In both the dent instances, I was partly at fault. But the car was relatively scratch free in that 30,000 KM run.

Enter XUV700 and a small city Trichy. My Car already has 5 long scratches on both sides of the body, 2 deep wounds on the bumper. . None of these were when the vehicle was rolling. Yes, all scratches either at standstill or parked or waiting at a traffic light.

And this evening cemented my feelings on what I'm going to assume (Wish I'm proved wrong). This evening, I dropped off the ladies at a restaurant for their Ladies night out, parked on a relatively wide road (one of those places in Trichy, where there is car parking, but you'll have to parallel park), went to get takeout. Come back in 10 mins to see a long scratch from back to front. Looking at the uneven scratch, it looks like it was a person scratching the car with a sharp object, while they were walking past the car.

Now, I must admit, I used to drive a little aggressively till a month back, when the almighty ordered me to slow down after an incident (more on this later in this post) and I have been driving so sedately that my FE has picked up from 9.2 to 10.6 kmpl in the same city driving conditions.

And so I don't think I have antagonised anyone to pick my car and that too on a Sunday evening.

Next instance - A week back, I was dropping off my kids at school and this road again is a decent width road with 2 lanes. The left lane is occupied my two wheelers and I stick to the right lane. There's a college bus behind me, which is fine. He's not honking or driving aggressively and so between three traffic lights, he follows me for two lights and then between the second and third light, there's a gap in the road divider, where traffic from the opposite side turn. There's a car slowly inching forward to turn, but seeing me, the guy stops the car and so I reduce speed and try to stick to my lane and proceed. I'm busy watching the car in front and didn't realise the bus is overtaking me from the left. Mind you the road becomes a little narrow at this place and in the hurry to overtake me, the bus driver sandwiches me between the bus and the car from opposite. I had to slam by breaks in order to avoid being bumped in to. The fun part is, there's a traffic light just 50 meters ahead and it's a longish signal of 3 mins. My daughter remarked as to why did we come to this place, which is trying to run us over at every turn. I didn't realise that the bus had scratched the bumper, until Reached home. I should have picked up the cue when the bus driver peeped out to look at my car.

In the above case as well, I was driving sedately, stuck to my lane, but still somehow pissed off a bus driver. When he peeped out, I thought he was trying to get a look at the car from the front.

And then the next instance. I'm driving on a highway, which nowadays resembles a inner city lane. Anyway, there are these barricades put up to reduce the traffic speed as there's a crossing. I have to take a left exit and I'm on the right lane initially. Sensing that the right lane is stuck, left lane is partially open, I switch lanes to the left and slowly inch forward to a stop, as by the time I make this lane change, a few vehicles that are going straight have blocked my left exit. There's a hardly a two wheeler space between me and the car in front and there's a barricade on the left. I can see that a Alto is coming in fast, almost going off-road. But there was no space to move to the left or to the front and I thought, better sense would prevail and for a fraction of a second, it did. The guy slowed down and is to my left, also at standstill. Mind you all vehicles are now at standstill and out of the blue this Alto guy decides he can squeeze in and barges in from the left, between me, the barricade and the car in front. There's this nasty scratch on the left bumper and I'm furious. It's pure rage. But then the almighty asks me to let it go, as rage is only going to consume me and my peace. What was unsettling was the look on this elderly driver, driving the Alto.

And now another instance, I know, I know - It's getting boring. This time, this is one of the widest roads in Trichy and ample parking for cars and I park the car to get a coffee. A Innova comes in and tries to squeeze between the XUV and another car parked next. It's a tight fit. I can't get in if it's parked too close. The driver says, It's just a few seconds as he has to get some thing in the stationary shop. I have a pipping hot coffee to cool and so I let it roll. Try to sip my coffee standing out. As promised, the Innova driver comes out, gets in and starts to take out the car. Since there's no space for me on the driver side, I'm sipping my coffee, standing on the passenger side. The Innova gets out and I finish my coffee and come to the driver side, there's this huge line of scratch from the Innova OVRM scratching my car. I couldn't pickup the scratching sound, in the din of the traffic. But then again, what could I have done, after the damage is done.

Mine is probably the second XUV700 in this small town/City and definitely the only red. It does turn a lot of heads, especially at night with the awesome headlamps. And so I'm conscious of the attention this car gets and eventually the attention that my driving gets in this small place and I'm extra cautious these days, after the Alto swipe.

In all these instances, the drivers or walker in one case, knew fully well what they were doing. It was not unintentional. There was no sense of remorse from any of the drivers. At least a sorry could have changed my impression.

Almost all big vehicles in my town have a political flag and chauffeured. And most importantly they are the rashest in driving. But a common man, fearing repercussions is usually silent to the treatment meted out to him on the roads. and even if he wants to scratch a vehicle, it's always parked in a safe area with the driver around.

I don't know if the red XUV700 gives out this arrogant, yet vulnerable vibe (or my driving), which demands such treatment or is it some kind of pent-up feelings. I haven't felt this in Chennai earlier. Don't know how it is now though. But this place, is proving to a burial ground for the XUV700.

Is it that our people have become some kind of maniacs ? With so much traffic, the rash driving from anyone doesn't gain them more than 60 seconds. Why this rush then ? Why deliberately swipe a brand new car ?

Now I'm seriously thinking of selling off this car and getting a smaller car for my commute. I can't bear to see these acts of vandalism on this beautiful piece of art anymore !!!!

PS : I'm not posting any pics of these scratches, as I just can't bear to look at them on my devices.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 21:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's with our people
Sorry to read about these episodes. This behaviour is definitely not specific to Trichy, as you will see if you go through some of the posts on the vandalism thread. It's just a sad reflection of the times we live in. Don't have much more to say except that I hope writing a long post about it has a cathartic effect and make you feel better soon. Take care.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th December 2021 at 21:44.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 09:09   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I'm seriously thinking of selling off this car and getting a smaller car for my commute. I can't bear to see these acts of vandalism on this beautiful piece of art anymore !!!!
So sad to read your ordeal. But don’t worry - thats the battle-scars our cars are going to carry anyway. My XUV5OO, in 2015 when it was new, had similar issues. I went to on to use it for 150K plus KMs and still going strong! Always remember - the exteriors are for everyone to drool but interiors are all yours. Get into the drivers seat, drive for nice 500Kms+ and you will forget all the woes. Its almost meditation like!

Owner’s pride, neighbours envy!
abirnale is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 12:21   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's with our people

I wanted to brush off certain things as "Driving Hazards", but when it's repetitive, it tends to establish a.[/i]
Sir, I can relate to you on getting bumped on the traffic signal atleast. My car was scratch free for 5 years straight but just last Monday when I was waiting at the signal, a bolero pickup brushed against my left panel making a hole and deep scratches which infuriated me. But what good will it make to me when the damage is done as the driver who was driving was chit-chatting with his fellow helper in the jeep instead of looking at what’s ahead of him. He was laughing throughout my conversation with him and I realized an individual who doesn’t respect the vehicle he’s driving or riding, he won’t care a damn about other vehicles on road. That is the mentality our fellow citizens have on road.

Considering your car having owned a celebrity status, you can expect all cheap acts to bother it until the time the sight of 7OO’s increase gradually and people accept the fact it’s another car on road. There are sick minds not only in your city but they exist everywhere please don’t break your peace of mind over it. Get a PPF done to avoid minor dings and dangs after your get the existing scratches buffed! That’s the best you can do at the moment. Maybe avoid taking this lovely looking bright red beauty out if you’re going to park it for a while. Take a beater car while this beauty remains a highway mile muncher or running small errands around in your presence.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 17:08   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

I think people can’t believe that you got your XUV700 so early and others have to wait for a long time. And that red probably attracts a lot of attention too.

Better to get a PPF done, and if possible pick up a used beater car (Tiago and the likes) for short commutes, a few scratches here and there in a beater won’t affect you as much.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd December 2021 at 17:09.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 17:26   #105
BHPian

Quote:
What's with our people

I wanted to brush off certain things as "Driving Hazards", but when it's repetitive, it tends to establish a pattern.
*SNIPPED*

Sorry to hear about this.
My rapid still carries a deep scar made by coin on boot lid, I look at it more like war wound.
Whenever we talk about PPF, my wife jokes that in India we need to tie mattresses on both side to keep car safe , PPF will not work :-) .

I know it's frustrating more so because these are on standstill vehicle but please don't loose your sleep over this, at the end while all of us love our cars but nothing can justify higher stress levels which eventually holds us from enjoying our cars.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed